BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
They rammed it through so fast in NY  they didn't make provisions for the more equal animals.

like any current NY cops are going to arrest their old goombahs for merely breaking the law.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.

A cop bash thread combined with a NY bash thread.

It is like a hate happy meal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
if one man cannot do it, then no man should be able to do it.  the law should be TOTALLY BLIND as to power, rank, job, or whatever.  If it cannot be, then it is not a just law and should be struck down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool.

Oh  don't  get  your   panties  in  a  wad . .  . . your  turn's  comin' .
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
So they think they are more worthy or special than us, fuck that shit.

We can't have it they can't have it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So with all the topics saying that retired police shouldn't be exempt from high capacity, I think we are missing something.

By all means I support retired police to be able to carry high capacity. I do not think that they are above us, nor should they be held in higher reguard. I also think that they are proving something for us "common folk"  in the process and no one has mentioned this aspect.

Simply stating that if they are in the position to stop a violent act 7 rounds may not be enough. Perfect, because criminals don't attack the police, they attack citizens who may not be in the position to defend themselves. So if all the retired police are calling for the restrictions to be removed on them, they are also indirectly stating that as a common man themselves, they would be at a disadvantage as repeated articles are stating that criminals will not follow these laws.

Thank you for your service to our communities and also proving our point that gun control only puts honest people at a disadvantage.

Yes, because retired police are not civilians, they're still police.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a 21 year cop and a US Army veteran.  I find it horribly unfortunate to see LEOs bashed here when the vast majority of us support the 2A completely. I think in my agency we have a single officer that agrees on gun bans.  Picking out a couple of retirees or leadership comments and taking out your anger over the NY bans on LE is counter productive to the combined fight we are undertaking. Police are regular people whether on duty or retired.  They make mistakes, maybe they aren't able to outshoot you on the range.  Who gives a shit. The only thing i can tell you is that after 25+ years of incarcerating criminals, they will also target retired officers for personal vendettas. I have seen this firsthand, and it would be a shame to eliminate gun rights from these folks as well. My wife is a carrying CCW holder for this very reason as well, and she is not LE. And I realize that there is a populace here that always dives in to LEO bashing threads, and I am sorry you feel that way. Like any profession, there are always a percentage of dipshits that seem to get a lot of attention for the wrong reasons. Stick together and fight for the 2A, period.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
but what I'm saying is being retired makes them one of "us". So as one of "us" they are at an extreme disadvantage and its a liability to their own personal and our public safety.

again, if all people are equal, then all people should be at the same level concerning personal safety, While fighting for their ability to be exempt, they are in fact indirectly fighting for yours.

Just keep pressure on your state reps that there is no distinction do to past performance and accountability of an LE vs a responsible civilian who is also serving same role as being overall aware of surroundings and whats going on at all times.

Bullshit.  They're fighting for themselves to be more equal than you and I.

Retired LEO?  Fine, I appreciate your service, but your retired status means jack and shit.  If it's good enough for retired LEO, it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Police officers should not be declared super citizens and have different freedoms...
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I am a 21 year cop and a US Army veteran. I find it horribly unfortunate to see LEOs bashed here when the vast majority of us support the 2A completely. I think in my agency we have a single officer that agrees on gun bans. Picking out a couple of retirees or leadership comments and taking out your anger over the NY bans on LE is counter productive to the combined fight we are undertaking. Police are regular people whether on duty or retired. They make mistakes, maybe they aren't able to outshoot you on the range. Who gives a shit. The only thing i can tell you is that after 25+ years of incarcerating criminals, they will also target retired officers for personal vendettas. I have seen this firsthand, and it would be a shame to eliminate gun rights from these folks as well. My wife is a carrying CCW holder for this very reason as well, and she is not LE. And I realize that there is a populace here that always dives in to LEO bashing threads, and I am sorry you feel that way. Like any profession, there are always a percentage of dipshits that seem to get a lot of attention for the wrong reasons. Stick together and fight for the 2A, period.

I don't see any Law Enforcement bashing

Equal means Equal
Whats good for the people is good for all, no exceptions

I do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]
No exceptions...
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
so if many politicians will agree with EX-LE who are now civilians, they by law they are saying that there is no difference between civilians and EX-LE who live and contribute in regular daily life.. So if they exempt them, then there will be grounds to bring about lawsuits against the state, even more so then currently have been brought in recent days.

Believe me on on the same page. I have really enjoyed all the discussions lately about this stuff because how much more have we all learned and contributed to the cause.

I hope no one took offense to what i wrote, maybe just a different way of looking at it.

Yeah, I (think) I know what you're saying. Your wording was perhaps a little too subtle.

"If retired cops think they need  > 7 it is evidence we need the same."

It's just that many (most?) retired cops and their professional associations don't seem to be concerned with the needs of the unwashed masses. Or that's the perception based on what we see in the media.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I say fuck the retired guys...lets see how they vote next time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]
“As a law enforcement officer for over 20 years, I understand the importance of instituting a new policy on mandating the limits of bullets that a regular citizen can possess, but as a matter of fact the bad guys are not going to follow this law,” said Norman Seabrook, president of the correction officers union, the city’s second largest.

^This right here^

How about a big Fuck You for that steaming piece of hypocrisy:

1) Bad guys won't follow the law to begin with.
2) Regular citizens subjects must be controlled. LE are more equal than the rest of us.

My "respect" for these assholes has, against all expectations, just dropped further...
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
They should base it on how many dogs they've shot.  

Add one round of capacity for each dog.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am a 21 year cop and a US Army veteran.  I find it horribly unfortunate to see LEOs bashed here when the vast majority of us support the 2A completely. I think in my agency we have a single officer that agrees on gun bans.  Picking out a couple of retirees or leadership comments and taking out your anger over the NY bans on LE is counter productive to the combined fight we are undertaking. Police are regular people whether on duty or retired.  They make mistakes, maybe they aren't able to outshoot you on the range.  Who gives a shit. The only thing i can tell you is that after 25+ years of incarcerating criminals, they will also target retired officers for personal vendettas. I have seen this firsthand, and it would be a shame to eliminate gun rights from these folks as well. My wife is a carrying CCW holder for this very reason as well, and she is not LE. And I realize that there is a populace here that always dives in to LEO bashing threads, and I am sorry you feel that way. Like any profession, there are always a percentage of dipshits that seem to get a lot of attention for the wrong reasons. Stick together and fight for the 2A, period.

You nailed it yourself. LEO is not military. If NY feels the civilian populace can defend itself with 7 rounds..so can LEO. I thank you for your service in the military and your service as a civilian LEO. There is a difference that I am sure you can appreciate.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No one gets anything special.

Wanna bet?  Wait for it.  It's coming.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cool.

hehehe

honestly, i thought 7 rounds was enough?
if seven rounds is enough, then seven rounds is enough.
they went as far as to say you could posses a 10 round capacity mag, but could only load 7 rounds into it.
i mean debate is over right? they moved to forgo the 72 hr review or something? governor signed it?
i think the people have spoken.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Cool.

But all warranted

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a little reluctant to step into this snake pit, but here goes...
TL:DR:  Retired police Lt. agrees that citizens should be armed as well as retired LEOs.  Period.  Here's why:
I was a patrol watch commander in the murder capital of Florida.  I spent almost all of my career in patrol and have been on the 2-way range the whole time.  I asked to work nights in the bad neighborhoods.  I loved what I did.  What I did was pursue the predators of good folks and lead others in that task.  The police HATE bad guys and the vast majority LOVE the good guys and gals.  Every job has it's exceptions, but I know more cops than most and the jerks are easily less than 10%.   Probably just like your jobs.
Now I'm going to surprise quite a few of the cop haters:  Typically speaking, if the police need it, law abiding citizens need it just as much.  If the police firepower request is to be better armed than the crooks, why handicap the citizen who's there first almost every time?  In fact, the armed citizen made my guys jobs a lot easier by eliminating the evildoer.  If you ever want to see beat cops doing a fist bump, it's at a call where a citizen has punched the bad guys ticket.
As for retired guys, the law abiding citizen should be allowed equal access to defensive firearms and ammunition.  The bad guys are no slower, softer, or less numerous or evil than those we run into.  Limiting magazines for good guys is the last place ammunition or firepower should be rationed.  Give the good guys the edge...citizen and retired cop alike.  The situations they face are IDENTICAL, so should be their capabilities.
Active LEO mission requirements are a completely different animal and not what I'm talking about here.  Unless somebody's answering calls or clearing meth labs daily I think they can appreciate the distinction.  But for the vast majority of unplanned defensive engagements, there is no difference in threat, or potential for mayhem.  Neither should be the ability for good folks to meet it.
Now, guys...don't let the other side win a moral victory by getting the good guys bickering.  The reason the libs exempt the police isn't because they like them so much, they don't like us near as much as the conservatives do in real life.  They do it because the unions are so powerful that the reason they exempt them from unpopular legislation is to avoid having the police take a counter position and swing the public against them.  They remove their dog from the hunt.  Some of the retired guys get used to being exempt and think it's a right or something.  They have lost their perspective.  Sad, because few know the constitution better than cops.  
Most of us are with you 100%.  We all took oaths to defend the constitution and understand very well what's going on.  The 2nd Amendment right to bear arms guarantees all the other rights.  They are rights, not privileges.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No.

They are a civilian just like I am, despite my veteran status.   The idea that someone's job should allow him special perks and privileges flys in the face of "all men are created equal".

This
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I thank everyone for the replies, it kind of took a turn i wasn't intending on but were here now, so there it is.

As i stated before, if they were exempted it sets a a double standard and also a precedent that could be taken to the supreme court if needed. Almost as a discrimination case as much as an actual violation of the constitution.

Long story short, i was just wondering if anyone else was thinking that same thought. It was never meant to be a NY/police bashing thread. A wrongful law was passed, i just wanted to see what realistic legal actions could be taken as an average citizen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Who cares if it puts them at a disadvantage? They're not cops anymore. They don't deserve special treatment. Too fuckin' bad.

They didn't deserve special treatment while they were actively working in LE, as a proxy for the rest of society.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top