User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Lawn darts!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Acorns, dirt clods and a red rider. All of which were used against friends in the nature center at the school behind my house while playing war games....

Pool with a slide....pool and the roof of the house....

2 older brothers...All of this shit and much more

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Flexy Flyer - low to the ground, goes fast down hills on paved roads, almost impossible to stop going fast, rolls over like a Ford Bronco in a turn, and very, very hard for drivers in cars and trucks to see you.  It is a wonder we survived our childhood.

If I was any good with inserting photographs, you would not have to use this LINK

Cool.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I almost forgot, when I was in Junior High School, I broke my arm.  While I was in the ER waiting to have a cast put on, a kid 5 or 6 years old was brought in with his finger cut off from one of those hats with the propeller while he was sliding down a slide on a playground.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PVC pipe and bottle rockets.  

We made our own extremely accurate guns for bottle rocket wars.

I did the same thing!  I could hit kid size targets at 50 yards!  I know because we would play war on the football field by my house.  Very good for range estimation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
model rocket engines stuck in pipe. Would go a long way and hurt like a bitch if ya got hit.

Hot wheels track. Once mom figured out she could whip your ass with it became the most dangerous toy by a long shot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about the LARC M19A Freon powered full auto BB Gun? It held about 3K BBs and had and awesome ROF. Besides destroying the Ozone layer you put the freon can under the dryer vent on the side of your house for about 30 min to really build the pressure up and then go destroy your little brother and your cat.

my dad had one of those when i was a kid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Johnny Eagle rifle.  Mine was like the one pictured in the middle.  They fired a spring loaded bullet.

http://www.jessedesignart.com/resources/JohnnyEagleLine72.jpg

I had the top set.  Had it until 1979 and I remember throwing it away.

Anybody remember the cannon/arty piece that actually fired a hard, black plastic ball?  Had an aluminum tube for the barrel and the shell was actually loaded via the breech. We used to shoot each other with it.  Fun stuff. It was before 1965.

Pav

I see that I should have read the whole thread before posting...Mighty Mo FTW!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to say the pump up air/water rocket, but lo and behold, you can actually still buy them online.....

http://www.scientificsonline.com/water-rocket.html?&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Shopping-_-NULL-_-3110400&mr:referralID=d89bc4ea-df11-11df-ad8e-001b2166c62d
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the LARC M19A Freon powered full auto BB Gun? It held about 3K BBs and had and awesome ROF. Besides destroying the Ozone layer you put the freon can under the dryer vent on the side of your house for about 30 min to really build the pressure up and then go destroy your little brother and your cat.

my dad had one of those when i was a kid.

I remember that one.

I could only get about 10 sec of continuous fire out of it.

Always meant to get hold of a compressor.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
you guys know what kinda street creds a kid like me had when I rolled up in my brand spanking new green machine toting a mattel marauder?

damn, I was a big time baller when I was 7...

i'd call my buddies up on the rotary phone and ask them if they wanted to play GUNS!

I had an arsenal of mattel and marx guns. The good shit.

Good times indeed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I had this bolt action dart rifle that used surgical tubing to compress a chamber/cylinder to fire spring steel blow darts.

No luck coming up with a pic on google, I guess you slap can't get them anymore.

Thing would put a dart most of the way through a standard pine fence board.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I had 2 stroke dirt bikes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Read the title, thought "lawn darts"... and I was right.

My favorite toy when I was a kid?

Matches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Bottle rockets.

Airsoft guns.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Notice the absence of spanish language on the packaging back then.   How did we survive?  How did the illegals know what they were buying?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mmm hmm, and an enterprising person can braze the cut-off top of an empty R12 can onto an oxygen fitting....and power the LARC from a welding truck. Crank up the regulator, and shazam - drive-by varmint massacres. Ox wouldn't freeze the action up like R12 did, either. Those 5000 round milk cartons full of BBs would last only about thirty miles.

Not that any number of ground squirrels and crows got pasted in the CA Central Valley that way in the 80's, mind you. But Highway 58 through Buttonwillow looked like a nerve gas attack.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Lawn darts.  Also the Johnny Seven and Secret Sam plastic-bullet toy guns.  I also had a Hands Up Harry!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Red Dot, Copper tubing and underwater fuse made for some interesting times.

Take a roll of caps and hit it with a hammer

Thread a roll of caps on a safety pin, wrap it with tape, light it.

eta: Also had the Man from UNCLE radio gun and briefcase.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Not actually a toy, but we had a lot of fun with Charcol Lighter Fluid and Matches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#23]
rock wars. Nothing larger than your thumb or everyone beat your ass.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was a little kid we could actually by M80s and Cherry Bombs at firecracker stands in South Dakota but that seems to go away rather quickly.

That was the mid 50s.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Is there anything a Johnny Seven couldn't do?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#26]
No. But I'm 20, so those were obsolete during my childhood. And my mom was paranoid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Jarts and wrist rockets.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Matches... The strike anywhere type.

Hours of fun
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hours of fun

Add a can of lysol and you can burn shit like a mofo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Radio flyer + big freaking hill.

radio flyers are still around but idk if they still have that awesome handle that had the bend it it that allowed for in wagon steering.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Pretty decent chemistry set.   They'd probably call out the hazmet unit today, and have everyone on chelation therapy.

Set of jr sized carpentry tools (saws, chisels, screw drivers, hammers, etc.).  

Quite a few of those plastic air pressure / water jet powered  toy rockets.    A few of those would go 60 ft or so straight up on an air/water charge.....all with crappy plastic pressure vessels.   Looking back on it, I'm sort of surprised one never shattered cranking it up.   I'm guessing that product line ended in a lawsuit storm about 30 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Flexy Flyer - low to the ground, goes fast down hills on paved roads, almost impossible to stop going fast, rolls over like a Ford Bronco in a turn, and very, very hard for drivers in cars and trucks to see you.  It is a wonder we survived our childhood.

If I was any good with inserting photographs, you would not have to use this LINK

Cool.

That's the first I've ever seen one of those. I've got to say that thing is a little sick, even for the 1930s.

"Here ya go, Johnny, you can go whipping down Main Street out of control on wheels! It's just the right height to get under the front bumper of an oncoming car!"
"OH BOY! Mom, can I have one?"
"Sure, Johnny, the hospital still hasn't paid your dad for building the new operating room."

When I was a kid, we had to break our necks in the back yard.

My friend had the one with the inflatable pool at the end. Somehow, you were supposed to slide down the Slip and Slide and end up in the pool. We could never get that to work. So we stuck the pool on the slide to see who could make the biggest splash when he slammed into it. If you were a real dick, you dried off part of the slide when your friends weren't looking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Homemade tennis ball canons

take a couple tennis ball cans with the bottom cut off the top one, tape them together with duct tape, squirt whatever you could find into it (lighter fluid, hairspray, charcoal lighter, etc) and drop a tennis ball down into it. Light it with a flame through a little hole poked in the bottom...blammo!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool.

http://priceminerimages.goantiques.com/dbimages/EFK8401/EFK8401red1421.jpg

That's the first I've ever seen one of those. I've got to say that thing is a little sick, even for the 1930s. We had ours in the late 50's early 60's  I crashed it avoiding a car and the car ran over it.

"Here ya go, Johnny, you can go whipping down Main Street out of control on wheels! It's just the right height to get under the front bumper of an oncoming car!"
"OH BOY! Mom, can I have one?"
"Sure, Johnny, the hospital still hasn't paid your dad for building the new operating room."

When I was a kid, we had to break our necks in the back yard.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e7/Slip_n_slide.jpg/250px-Slip_n_slide.jpg

My friend had the one with the inflatable pool at the end. Somehow, you were supposed to slide down the Slip and Slide and end up in the pool. We could never get that to work. So we stuck the pool on the slide to see who could make the biggest splash when he slammed into it. If you were a real dick, you dried off part of the slide when your friends weren't looking.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tonka Trucks made of steel I don't know how many times I cut myself on them.

Still have my Tonka Mighty Dump truck. Survived me growing up on the farm, and my kids. Still have my folding wrist rocket too!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Testors model glue and a lighter
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Strike anywhere matches...  Lots of fun.  My dad always reloaded too.  I had lawn darts.  I still have a can of carbide somewhere at my parents house.

Jk
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had a Battlestar Galatica Viper and Cylon fighter that were recalled because kids were choking on the missiles that were spring-loaded and fired like 20 feet.  My parents just told me not to put them in my mouth.

I had that Viper and searched for years for those missiles...  My Mom confiscated them.  I never thought to stick them in my mouth, I just wanted to shoot the cats with them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The original mail order Bobba Fett figure had a missile that launched from the back...that got recalled.

They were never released to the public.

There's a few missle firing Fett prototypes in the hands of collectors and they're very expensive.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lawn Darts

What ones do you remember?

I'm the coolest guy on ARFCOM tonight,.....

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had a Battlestar Galatica Viper and Cylon fighter that were recalled because kids were choking on the missiles that were spring-loaded and fired like 20 feet.  My parents just told me not to put them in my mouth.

I had a Viper too, til Dad got pissed about my messy room and smashed it with his fist.

Dad was an Authoritarian.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had one of these Crossman pellet guns...and my parents now wonder why I love the platform so much.

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/9919214713/7863493/14532a6863292299413d5fcdfa218ed8.jpg  

I had one of those too-man, I forgot how cheesy they were compared to the real thing.
The one I want, though is at a local antique shop. Daisy SXS BB gun, similar contours to a 20 gauge shotgun. Has a sign on it that says "Don't even ask to hold it unless you have $1000 to spare." Talked to seller about it, he said he paid $600 for it several years ago and called it a deal. Made in the 60's or 70's and expensive for the time, somewhere between $60 and $100 is what he told me. interesting looking, but have no idea what kind of quality.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Tonka trucks were metal.  If you fell on it it was going to leave a mark.  And you could use it to beat the shit out of little Billy that lived down the street if he pissed you off.....

I had every single one of those at one point, and yes they sure as fuck did hurt.

As a matter of fact my teddy ruxpin lost his eye because I threw him at one of them.

Teddy is one toy I still want. Just can't get over the idea of seeing what he does when I put rammstein or metallica in his player.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Green Machine was the shit. It put Big Wheel to shame with it's ebrakes that would put you in a power slide, spinning around like a madman. I don't think they make the because of all the bleeding cuts, scrapes and bruises they would give the real daredevil kids. http://www.tomheroes.com/images/greenmachine.jpg

I loved the green machine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I remember one my youngest brother had vividly because he shot me and gave me a black eye.

It was called Mighty Mo and it was a howitzer that shot hard plastic balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svet_A0I65w

Want.

Want want want.

It would be useful when meetings start to drag on for a while
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

radio flyers are still around but idk if they still have that awesome handle that had the bend it it that allowed for in wagon steering.  

My daughter's does. She hasn't figured that out yet, but I keep thinking it would be fun to try again-of course, now that I'm 33 I'd probably kill myself if I tried.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hours of fun

Add a can of lysol and you can burn shit like a mofo.

I learned at a young age that spray paint was also flammable.  I also learned that it was fun to blowtorch fire ant hills.  What I didn't learn until said fun was over that: 1. The paint doesn't burn away and you're left with colorful patches of scorched earth and, 2. Never do this on the newly laid sod that your stepdad had just put in.

Honestly, its a testament to my stepdad that he stayed married to my mother during my more formidable years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#48]
larger bottle rockets + pipe = "RPG"

Dad didn't think it was so funny when we tried to "ambush" him. I don't know maybe it was my brother and I popping out of a hole with a crudely made RPG or the large bottle rocket that passed in front of his truck as it came down the gravel road
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My daughter's does. She hasn't figured that out yet, but I keep thinking it would be fun to try again-of course, now that I'm 33 I'd probably kill myself if I tried.

My (then) 4 y.o. son and 3 y.o. daughter figured it out though it was probably all my son's doing.  Thankfully, a neighbor down the street was on his driveway and caught my kids before they went zipping down the street.  And where was I you might ask?  I was putting more combustible items on the fire.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I wish I could remeber the name of this toy, but it was cool -

It was a (humanoid) plastic "robot" probably 18+ - 24" tall, one fist was spring loaded and could shoot off, and had two spring loaded missles in the middle of it's chest - yes, this had the ultimate rapid erect nipples.

IIRC, it had wheels on the bottom of it's feet, and was generally yellow with blue and black on it.

Figure early eighties or so.

I think there were two more in the series, with different flying off bits.

Anyone have any idea what it was called?

ETA:

Found it!

http://weirdscifi.ratiosemper.com/shogun/gaiking.html

I forgot that it had spare ammo for the nip, er... chest rockets on it's shoulders.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top