[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I phucked your poal.
View Quote

I'm not surprised by the results.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
it was a testosterone and patriotism flick.  i liked it for exactly those reasons.  where i grew up, it was a rare male child in that timeframe who did not fantasize about being in that situation, fighting for country against overwhelming odds.  you have to remember, this was back before the "lone superpower" days--the USSR was viewed as potentially more powerful than we were.  this was only a few years removed from the miracle on ice, if that tells you anything.  watch rocky 4 for some insight on how the east/west power relationship was perceived.

overall, i'd say it was a culturally important movie, but not a quality piece of drama or literature.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
it was a testosterone and patriotism flick.  i liked it for exactly those reasons.  where i grew up, it was a rare male child in that timeframe who did not fantasize about being in that situation, fighting for country against overwhelming odds.  you have to remember, this was back before the "lone superpower" days--the USSR was viewed as potentially more powerful than we were.  this was only a few years removed from the miracle on ice, if that tells you anything.  watch rocky 4 for some insight on how the east/west power relationship was perceived.

overall, i'd say it was a culturally important movie, but not a quality piece of drama or literature.  
View Quote

Rocky IV is a great example of the psyche of the time.  Both sides saw themselves as the scrappy underdog with human spirit versus the technologically superior soulless behemoth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
America Getting invaded?

Sure.

A bunch of High School children fighting an Army?

Not so much.

Maybe if our kids had the war experience from Africa or Afghanistan...

But "our kids" can't even get bullied without crying about it.

American FSA would merely just ask for something from the new masters.

these were kids of the 70's though...

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr315/tikidrew/Forum%20Images/70s-that-how-we-roll.jpg

Hell yea! I never had a Big Wheel, but if I found a cinder block and a board, me and my Huffy were going airborne.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
It was a tinfoil circle jerk cinematic masterpiece that touched the very core of every cold war era boy or young man.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rocky IV is a great example of the psyche of the time.  Both sides saw themselves as the scrappy underdog with human spirit versus the technologically superior soulless behemoth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

watch rocky 4 for some insight on how the east/west power relationship was perceived.

good point.  movies like these are especially interesting when compared to more nuanced treatments--i'm specifically thinking of 'the russia house'.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It was a tinfoil circle jerk cinematic masterpiece that touched the very core of every cold war era boy or young man.

View Quote

i can't think of a more perfect description.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I have a feeling, that in today's society, if a communist regime invaded, the majority would welcome them with open arms...well..until they realized that real communism wasn't what their college professors told them it was.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. OP, if you still don't see how any of this could be real, pick up Red Storm Rising, read it, and realize that it's a plausible portrayal of what it would have been like if the 'cold war' turned 'hot'. When I describe the Berlin Wall to my students, they can't believe that it's real - a number of them have never heard of it before. It is difficult for them to even picture what things were like in the 1980's.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think that is the part that gets me in the original. It's a stretch to believe that kids armed with fudd weapons could essentially take the fight to an invading army. We beat the shit out of Iraq insurgents and they had fully automatic weapons. In that context, I think the remake took a slightly more realistic approach to how an effective insurgency would have to play out. Even then, this is Hollywood we're talking about here.

I also think a slow disintegration from within is more likely than a foreign invasion that rallies the American spirit to victory. I believe you're right about the FSA part, sadly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

America Getting invaded?

Sure.

Not so much.

I think that is the part that gets me in the original. It's a stretch to believe that kids armed with fudd weapons could essentially take the fight to an invading army. We beat the shit out of Iraq insurgents and they had fully automatic weapons. In that context, I think the remake took a slightly more realistic approach to how an effective insurgency would have to play out. Even then, this is Hollywood we're talking about here.

I also think a slow disintegration from within is more likely than a foreign invasion that rallies the American spirit to victory. I believe you're right about the FSA part, sadly.

um, about that...

The movie was a response to the film "The day after".  Call it a raised middle finger to the left, or call it a tinfoil circle jerk...  It wasn't supposed to be a realistic portrayal or a middle america insurgency.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Listen, son.  As an old Cold Warrior, I can tell you:  Them Commie Bastards meant business.

It's even more serious NOW.  With Colorado disarmed, we could see a North Korean / Red Chinese / Venezuelan invasion AT ANY TIME.

And with the commies hosting the Olympics as a distraction...IT IS FO TIME!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, I have seen both the original and the remake a couple times each now. Notwithstanding the obvious plot holes of how an invading force would manage to sneak by through radar to land in middle America or occupy a region of north America using an army of paratroopers, I can't tell if these movies are pure comedy gold or a manual for the resistance.

I was just a kid in the 80's, but did people really think this stuff was going to happen?

Listen, son.  As an old Cold Warrior, I can tell you:  Them Commie Bastards meant business.

It's even more serious NOW.  With Colorado disarmed, we could see a North Korean / Red Chinese / Venezuelan invasion AT ANY TIME.

And with the commies hosting the Olympics as a distraction...IT IS FO TIME!

We're not completely disarmed, we just have to reload after 15 shots.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So, I have seen both the original and the remake a couple times each now. Notwithstanding the obvious plot holes of how an invading force would manage to sneak by through radar to land in middle America or occupy a region of north America using an army of paratroopers, I can't tell if these movies are pure comedy gold or a manual for the resistance.

I was just a kid in the 80's, but did people really think this stuff was going to happen?
View Quote
Everything is explained in at least the original if you pay attention.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is anyone maintaining that it had even a slight effect in that respect?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm missing the value of such propaganda.  What or who is to benefit from such a cheesy movie?

It promoted self-reliance and responsibility as something even kids need.

No movie could overcome the "pussification wall" today.

You're not old enough to remember the late 70's-Early 80's and the Survivalist Movement.......
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
WOLVERINES!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The sad part is that movie was made when we thought shtf would go down sooner or later so we gave a big "eat me" to the Sovs. Now it looks like we are so scared of the Chi coms that we made what is no doubt the #2 movie of all time in North Korea behind the Bio of fearless leader.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]
pretty good scene at the end of the original when Jed is adding his and Matty's names to partisan rock.

Say what you want but Millus gave us a postive ending.

Every leftist director at the time had us dead by 1997
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of them would..............many wouldnt

Quoted:

Today's people would listen and obey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
America Getting invaded?

Sure.

Not so much.

Today the government would order the citizens to shelter in place cower in fear.

Today's people would listen and obey.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#19]
It entertainment dude.  I loved the first one and the second one was OK.  Don't ruin it by over-thinking it.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#20]
John Mileus used Red Dawn to address a threat from within.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Of course it was a ridiculous tinfoil circle jerk, but it was MY ridiculous tinfoil circle jerk so you shut your dirty whore mouth!

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Some of them would..............many wouldnt

View Quote
Ask the British colonists in the new world about that...

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I liked them both for what they were...middle of the road movies about Americans fighting for their freedom.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#24]
If you were a kid in the 80's, around the same age as the characters in the movie, and you were into guns and military shit, you loved it. You couldn't not.

However, I can see how folks could watch it for the first time, years later, and not like it.

I've seen it countless times, and will no doubt see it countless more… and love it every time.

Quoted:
Of course it was a ridiculous tinfoil circle jerk, but it was MY ridiculous tinfoil circle jerk so you shut your dirty whore mouth!
View Quote

EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When I describe the Berlin Wall to my students, they can't believe that it's real - a number of them have never heard of it before. It is difficult for them to even picture what things were like in the 1980's.
View Quote

Wow… guess I've never really stopped to think just how much the world has changed in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You're not old enough to remember the late 70's-Early 80's and the Survivalist Movement.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm missing the value of such propaganda.  What or who is to benefit from such a cheesy movie?

It promoted self-reliance and responsibility as something even kids need.

No movie could overcome the "pussification wall" today.

I'm not?  How old did you have to be then?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#27]

In 1984 the Warsaw Pact was more of a threat than all of today's terrorists. The world is a much less dangerous place than it used to be. The threats of global communism, concentration camps, and nuclear warfare are behind us. Most people just want to make a buck, not conquer neighboring countries.

It's amusing how many make fun of the past as tin foil time, yet are so afraid of a handful of third world terrorists that they give up freedom so the government can protect them.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You made it through the remake twice?

Different era OP. Cold War was everywhere.
View Quote

I did a North Korea double feature. Followed it with "Olympus Has Fallen."

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
pretty good scene at the end of the original when Jed is adding his and Matty's names to partisan rock.

View Quote

So Jed didn't die in the playground with matty? Ive never seen that scene.

Going to go watch it with me 3 yo as she goes to sleep because of this thread.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In 1984 the Warsaw Pact was more of a threat than all of today's terrorists. The world is a much less dangerous place than it used to be. The threats of global communism, concentration camps, and nuclear warfare are behind us. Most people just want to make a buck, not conquer neighboring countries.

It's amusing how many make fun of the past as tin foil time, yet are so afraid of a handful of third world terrorists that they give up freedom so the government can protect them.

View Quote

Not so sure about that one. Different threat than the 1980's, I'll give you that, but the threat of nuclear warfare is not behind us.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I loved the 1984 original. It was not a masterpiece, but was a reflection of the times. I saw Red Dawn about the same time we had a big "Know your Enemy" type presentation in our base theater. When you see a US military produced film on the big screen depicting a Soviet surprise attack on the US, then have an hour briefing by a Russian born major in Soviet air force Colonel's uniform, you are pretty motivated. Then a couple days later you see Red Dawn off base and you literally come out of the theater ready to start killing Communists right damn now, thank you sir!

as somebody posted above, Red Dawn is most definitely not a cinematic masterpiece. But, it is a cultural touchstone of that era. Despite the shaky acting, and at times jarring edits (I always wondered if Milius has a lot of footage edited out, would love to see a new directors cut if so) I still get a kick out of watching the film.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not like the RD remake, but actually kind of enjoyed Olympus Has Fallen.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, he died. The rock scene is before the last mission. It is assumed Jed knew he and Matt would not make it out alive. The positive ending was the two survivors making it to Free America.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yes, he died. The rock scene is before the last mission. It is assumed Jed knew he and Matt would not make it out alive. The positive ending was the two survivors making it to Free America.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody had to make it, somebody had to live.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They really should have made the latter a Christmas movie, and found some way to squeeze "Yippie Kay Ay, Mother Fucker" into the dialog.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
America Getting invaded?

Sure.

Not so much.

I can easily think of over a half dozen examples that disprove what you wrote.

To quote another classic movie; "How do you beat a helicopter with bows and arrows?"  "How you gonna beat an enemy that fights with arrows?"
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I have a feeling, that in today's society, if a communist regime invaded, the majority would welcome them with open arms...well..until they realized that real communism wasn't what their college professors told them it was.
View Quote
Have you seen the Putin love here?  I'm not sure college professors are responsible for that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

To quote another classic movie; "How do you beat a helicopter with bows and arrows?"  "How you gonna beat an enemy that fights with arrows?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit right?

While a movie, it portrays the kids as being lead by a natural leader, operating in an AO they knew pretty well utilizing the best tactics they had hitting soft targets until they were introduced to a mentor who was able to up their game.  

The thing to remember, is in the world of the movie, a lot of the enemy fighting force was conscripted South Americans, with Russians filling the special and technical roles.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No shit right?

While a movie, it portrays the kids as being lead by a natural leader, operating in an AO they knew pretty well utilizing the best tactics they had hitting soft targets until they were introduced to a mentor who was able to up their game.  

The thing to remember, is in the world of the movie, a lot of the enemy fighting force was conscripted South Americans, with Russians filling the special and technical roles.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit right?

It was also not in any way the front lines, but deep in enemy territory.  They were up against pogue units with light security, with the occasional available combat forces directed at locating them.

The most unbelievable part is that a fighter pilot would know shit about ground combat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It was also not in any way the front lines, but deep in enemy territory.  They were up against pogue units with light security, with the occasional available combat forces directed at locating them.

The most unbelievable part is that a fighter pilot would know shit about ground combat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit right?

Yeah, most fighter jocks I knew would have been close to useless. But maybe Powers Booth's character was in Army ROTC, then went USAF after graduation? I only say that because I was in Army JROTC in HS, and actually paid attention in the basic infantry tactics classes we had. (I actually made a passing score on the army infantry AIT written knowledge test that our JROTC commander had me take) Then I went into the USAF and later OTS, so I was a USAF munitions officer with at least rudimentary infantry training.

Yeah, I know, kind of stretching it, but at least it is a theory.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, when the Russians invaded Afghanistan a few years before Red Dawn was made, they used commercial airliners to land troops in the heartland of that country.

So maybe not so far fetched.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

First and foremost Red Dawn was a motion picture, it wasn't a training film or documentary.
View Quote
Communist LIES!

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no. He lived and went on to become a dance instructor in new America. Everybody thought that Toni died, too, because of the grenade scene and the fact that she got shot. What you didn't see is that she rolled out of the way and ran off into the wilderness to nurse herself back to health on tree grubs and deer scat. Years later, she is reunited with Jed, and they enter dance competitions using the prize money to pay for back alley abortions for sorority pledges.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, no. He lived and went on to become a dance instructor in new America. Everybody thought that Toni died, too, because of the grenade scene and the fact that she got shot. What you didn't see is that she rolled out of the way and ran off into the wilderness to nurse herself back to health on tree grubs and deer scat. Years later, she is reunited with Jed, and they enter dance competitions using the prize money to pay for back alley abortions for sorority pledges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody backs Baby into a corner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know of anyone who thought the Soviets had any intention of invading the United States. It was too obviously impossible. The fears were about another proxy war, or a NATO and Warsaw Pact war in Europe, or some unanticipated event that led to a nuclear exchange. Pretty much everyone in my generation was at least familiar with the Operation Overlord invasion and what it took to make an army cross 100 miles of water and fight across 750 miles of Europe, given that we had a big island right there to stage equipment. People I knew who suggested that Red Dawn was plausible usually got a bunch of raised eyebrows in response.

I didn't see the remake, but arfcom assured me that is was silly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Red dawn actually happened.  But not as portrayed in that mouth-breathing, retarded, dumb-as-dog-shit, stench of a movie.  The communists didn't parachute into America, they immigrated here in the early 1900s, wormed their way into political power, took over American academia and media, and corrupted an entire generation of spoiled-rotten dumb-fuck baby boomers.  Said baby-boomers then systematically dismantled everything that was good about America before most people here were even born.   As for the movie, my 3 month-old fills her diaper with better scripts then that idiotic drivel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Have you seen the Putin love here?  I'm not sure college professors are responsible for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Putin is less of a communist than that high yellow Trotskyite fuck in the White House.  I'd trade leaders with Russia any day of the week.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yup. OP, if you still don't see how any of this could be real, pick up Red Storm Rising, read it, and realize that it's a plausible portrayal of what it would have been like if the 'cold war' turned 'hot'. When I describe the Berlin Wall to my students, they can't believe that it's real - a number of them have never heard of it before. It is difficult for them to even picture what things were like in the 1980's.
View Quote

I'm just finishing Red Storm Rising right now. Clancy did an excellent job naming every weapon in the 1985 inventory, but the parts about Iceland and the Atlantic convoys are laughable.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top