Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I like HD, but for half the price I can have a bike as good as and more likely better than an HD.
View Quote

Did you bother to read the entire rest of this thread before you posted?  It's already been shown that a comprable HD costs the same or at most $2-3k more than a Jap cruiser.  Hardly "half the price".
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like HD, but for half the price I can have a bike as good as and more likely better than an HD.
View Quote

Did you bother to read the entire rest of this thread before you posted?  It's already been shown that a comprable HD costs the same or at most $2-3k more than a Jap cruiser.  Hardly "half the price".
View Quote

I have never seen a HD delaer sell at list.  The last time I was shopping the list on the HD I looked at was ~$12,000 the dealer wanted ~$16,000. Since my bike was $7,000 I would say thats about half price.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I have never seen a HD delaer sell at list.  The last time I was shopping the list on the HD I looked at was ~$12,000 the dealer wanted ~$16,000. Since my bike was $7,000 I would say thats about half price.  
View Quote

This is because either:
A) You are impatient and didn't want to have to wait for a bike at MSRP.  Supply and demand boys, learn it, live it.

-OR-

B) You don't know how to shop and/or dicker.

What bike did you get for $7k?  I posted some prices of comparable bikes earlier, and they were all within a couple grand.  If you bought a bike for $7k, then you got a $7k bike.  It's that simple.  Incidentally, what's that $7k bike worth now?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Q:   Why do chicks like guys with Harley's?

A:   Because it shows that HE cared about HER needs enough to spend $20k on a vibrator![:P]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A:   Because it shows that HE cared about HER needs enough to spend $20k on a vibrator![:P]
View Quote

Thats funny!
your avatar pic is a BMW right?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats funny!
your avatar pic is a BMW right?
View Quote

Vrod.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

This is because either:
A) You are impatient and didn't want to have to wait for a big at MSRP.  Supply and demand boys, learn it, live it.

-OR-

What bike did you get for $7k?  I posted some prices of comparable bikes earlier, and they were all within a couple grand.  If you bought a bike for $7k, then you got a $7k bike.  It's that simple.  Incidentally, what's that $7k bike worth now?
View Quote

I got a Honda VTR for $7000.  Since they list for $8999 I think I got a good deal. For my $7000 I purchased a 1000cc motorcycle that produces 100hp stock and tops out at 160mph.  So if I had spent twice as much on an HD would it have 200hp and exceed 320 mph with the same displacement?

The last time I priced it it was worth ~$5000.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

This is because either:
A) You are impatient and didn't want to have to wait for a big at MSRP.  Supply and demand boys, learn it, live it.

-OR-

View Quote

I got a Honda VTR for $7000.  Since they list for $8999 I think I got a good deal. For my $7000 I purchased a 1000cc motorcycle that produces 100hp stock and tops out at 160mph.  So if I had spent twice as much on an HD would it have 200hp and exceed 320 mph with the same displacement?

The last time I priced it it was worth ~$5000.
View Quote

Yeah, 'cause this looks like a Harley[rolleyes]
[img]http://www.mcpoolen.se/images/mc-honda-97-vtr1000f-firestorm-gul.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
96 gsxr 1100w, 41 mm flatslides, megacycle cams, yosh stainless pipe, ported, serious diet, lost 50lbs or so, more teeth on front sprocket/2, paint, and she flies, getting a new gixxer 1000 soon
View Quote

Now THERE'S a guy that's about performance!
What's the insurance set you back on that thing?  Do you have some kind of rider for all the mods, or will you eat shit on them should the bike get stolen?
What do you do to trim weight from a bike like that?  Anything besides the obvious like turn signals?  What does it weigh stock?
Did you do the work yourself?  How'd you decide what mods/brands to do/use?
Will the new GSXR1000 be faster than your 1100 even with all the mods you've got on the 1100?  Will any of the parts from the 1100 swap over to your new bike?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[b]Most of my friends with HDs seem to top out around 90mph with mods.[/b]

?????

my 1947 knucklehead will do an honest 110 mph.
View Quote

Love hearing about the old knucks and pans. Post some pics.

I am currently rebuilding a 42 WLA. 45" motor that I am useing a mild stroker flywheel to bring it out to about 53". I am at the point now where I cant decide to make it look original or make it into a old school style bobber.  It ought to be a cool bar hoper type of bike.Definately will not see myself comeing down the road!

Cruizer
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine isn't yellow its yellow.

See my sig pic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]
No spot for "suzuki", that's what I am riding right now.

I have ridden harley's, fell in love with a Heritage Softail Classic.

Real men RIDE A BIKE THEY REALLY LIKE AND DON"T GIVE A SHIT WHAT SOMEBODY ELSE THINKS OF IT.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a big Harley fan myself (mostly the VR1000 and xr750)....but have you seen what is going on in MOTOGP the last year and a half? The technology from the Japanese and the Italians is amazing. This technology is going to find its way to the stree (in a less powerful form) soon most likely from Ducati and Honda. With World Superbike becoming the Ducati Cup and AMA Superbike failing to provide more than 6 factory bikes all the action is in MOTOGP. The big four and the two Italians will filter this down to the street in some fashion. Even a neutered down RC211V would be the ultimate sport bike for the street...or a Ducati V4 street bike. How about a naked V5 Honda, anyone?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Seems to be alot of Ohio guys posting here. instead of bickering about what bike is best, lets set up a group ride!!!!!!!Then we can all bicker face to face!!!!!Anyone interested???IM me!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn, I had no idea this thing would get this kind of response...  (My first flammer!!! WOO_HOO)  All said and done, I do look a bit goofy in full uniform riding my 85 XL350R home from work.  But hey, who the hell cares what I look like, I am having fun.  And besides, my goldwing don't handle that dirt track by my house nearly as well as the dual sport.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Peopple don't buy Harleys because they're fast or maneuverable or stop on a dime. People buy them because they're the coolest bike on the road.

View Quote

From My experience, they are the coolest bikes on the SIDE of the road.

A group of guys from work always make a ride up north during August, to escape teh Texas Heat.
About half of us ride Jap Cruisers, the other Half Own Harleys. Last year We made a ride(some of us)to Durango Colorado during the last week of August. 5 guys were on harleys, 6 on Jap bikes.

1 Harley died before leaving town and 3 others along the route....about 1800 miles round trip. The one harley that did make it Was an electraglide 90's model that was made for export to Canada or somewhere. Everything on the dash is in KIlometers.
In all fairness one honda did also blow out an O-ring in the coolant system. Easily fixed in about an hour and 50 cents from a parts store that it happened to start leaking in front of.

IMHO Harley's are overpriced pieces of SHIT!

I figure the FAD(guess Jeans,etc...) will pass, and it will no longer be COOL for every RUB(rich urban biker) to have one parked in his garage. The bottom will fall out on these things and they will be as cheap as Superior Jap bikes.

Compare to 1911...not even close dude. My 1911 has never failed me.

Buying a harley makes about as much sense as buying a corvette without an engine, but hey, you'll look cool sitting on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather ride a japanese sportsbike than a cruiser, but I can still appreciate that the cruisers have a distinctive character, including HD's. Hell, HD's are probably the most copied of all the brands out there. Every Japanese maker has a couple of HD-esque style cruisers. Even BMW and Moto Guzzi have currently have cruiser models that strongly reflect HD styling. I don't particularly want a HD, but they do have character and they have set a major trend in design and styling. I'm cool with that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Why did they use Porsche instead of Chevy for the V-Rod?  ZR1, Z06, LT1 ?

American my ass.

[url]http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm a big Harley fan myself (mostly the VR1000 and xr750)....but have you seen what is going on in MOTOGP the last year and a half? The technology from the Japanese and the Italians is amazing. This technology is going to find its way to the stree (in a less powerful form) soon most likely from Ducati and Honda. With World Superbike becoming the Ducati Cup and AMA Superbike failing to provide more than 6 factory bikes all the action is in MOTOGP. The big four and the two Italians will filter this down to the street in some fashion. Even a neutered down RC211V would be the ultimate sport bike for the street...or a Ducati V4 street bike. How about a naked V5 Honda, anyone?
View Quote

Did you ever see the Honda NR500 racebike from the late 80's, or the NR750 streetbike from 1992? Now those were a couple of impressive bikes. How does 8 valves per cylinder and oval pistons sound? Honda has never really liked 2-stroke engines, and back in the late 80's they developed a 500cc V8 four stroke engine, but the FIM which controlled the 500cc class said no more than 4 cylinders. Honda then turned a circular piston, 4 valve per cylinder V8 into an oval piston 8 valve per cylinder V4. As far as racing performance went it was a bit of a lame duck, but it gave Honda such a lead on oval piston technology (Norton in the UK had tried oval pistons before Honda, but gave up on them) that eventually oval pistons were banned from every two and four wheeled competition Honda was insterested in, to prevent Honda from having an unfair advantage.

A V5 isn't so terribly strange, the design Honda went to after the NR500 failed to meet expectations was the V3 NSR500 (and there were a couple of V3 roadbike spinoffs from that). This isn't the first time Ducati have tried their hand at a V4 either, they developed a V4 roadbike specifically for the US, but only a handful were actually built.

Personally I'm waiting to see variable valve timing become more widespread in bike engines like it is in car engines at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bottom line, I've never approached a H-D guy and made derogatory comments on his choice of
bikes. On the other hand, I've been 'heckled' on several occasions, but it only happens when I'm riding solo and run into a group of Harley boys. They usually are civil on a one-to-one basis, but the 'Pack Mentality' seems to set in when they are in a group.
View Quote

The funny part is that a huge percentage of those guys probably started their riding career on a Honda or some other japanese bike...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am currently rebuilding a 42 WLA. 45" motor that I am useing a mild stroker flywheel to bring it out to about 53". I am at the point now where I cant decide to make it look original or make it into a old school style bobber.  It ought to be a cool bar hoper type of bike.Definately will not see myself comeing down the road!

Cruizer
View Quote

I'd say that if you're going to put a stroker in it go with the early bobber style.  Might as well make full use of all that extra power by stripping off excess weight.  Though if it's a true WLA & not just a WL then the stock OD green, ammo box panniers & Tommygun scabbarb have a certain panache also.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#24]
It all started as a WLA set of cases and a 3 bolt frame that I had. I have since come up with a chrome springer that was redone in the seventies or so. It is currently in the roller stage. The frmae is powder copated a gloss black . I saved my original fenders and bought a repro rear that I have cut. I am not running a front fender. It is starting to look good.

This is what I am modeling mine after. Mine will only have a solo seat.

[img]http://store5.yimg.com/I/conansclassics_1741_21834500[/img]

Cruizer
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#25]
BLAH blah blah

REAL riders dont give a shit what you ride, as long as you ride.

Each bike has its place, its job.

Want to ride the most econominal pure performance machine possible?

Get a crotchrocket.

Want to thump around town on weekends/holidays?

Get a harley

Want to ride crosscountry?

Get a touring bike

If you put down another riders or that riders bike, then you are not a rider, you are a poser regardless of how long you have been riding or WHAT you ride.  (btw- You will see more posers on Harleys than on ANY other type of bike)

Remember we are not enemies, it is the Cages that are the Enemies.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#26]
My niece and her husband each have an H-D Motorcycle.
She asks everyone; " Do you know what H-D stands for?"
Answer: Hundred-Dollars.  Everything in the Harley store costs at least a Hundred-Dollars.

I have 2 Suzuki's, one racer, one sport bike.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting prepared for the third largest, and the oldest motorcycle rally in the Country.
The great Laconia Gypsy Tour, right here in lil' ol central NH.

Normally about 300k folks come to the party.

As to the poll..Harleys...two of 'em.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#28]
WHY ISNT THERE A CHOICE FOR AN ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPER? Or for a bike built by Jesse James. Thats the only kinda cruiser I would ride. For now I have two Yamaha YZ125s sittin in the garage. They arent street racers but they are the fastest thing on dirt! (in the 125cc class anyways)
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It all started as a WLA set of cases and a 3 bolt frame that I had. I have since come up with a chrome springer that was redone in the seventies or so. It is currently in the roller stage. The frmae is powder copated a gloss black . I saved my original fenders and bought a repro rear that I have cut. I am not running a front fender. It is starting to look good.

This is what I am modeling mine after. Mine will only have a solo seat.

[url]http://store5.yimg.com/I/conansclassics_1741_21834500[/url]

Cruizer
View Quote

Should be sweet!  Foot shift or jockey?  I really like the look of the early style bobber vs the psychodelic over the top late 60's-mid70's choppers.  
Whenever I get far enuff ahead $$$$-wise (derailed by gunstuff all the time...) I'll do some more work on my HondaChopper project.  SOHC CB500/4, I plan on running a Mustang style tank, sprung solo seat, beertap handle jockeyshift, 16" back wheel, dragbars on pullback risers, etc.  Right now I'm still in the parts finding  stage.  Have the stock bike (running), parts bike, tank, seat & also have a 70's style candycane twist extended springer.  The springer will need a new neck spindle (plus fresh springs, bearings etc) & the frame will require some serious raking to make it sit level which is why I might reconsider & go with a stock style front end.  I've been looking for an aftermarket hardtail frame but so far no luck.  Plenty of hardtail frames for SOHC CB750's but none for the 500/4 [:(]  I've even seen chopper frames for the old Kawa KZ900/1000 & Yamaha XS650's.  I may have to get a frame meant for a Triumph/BSA twin & cut/paste some Honda motormounts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Can't we all just get along

[img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_5289d70673357204be595dbcc3d52e8e/i-6_B_L.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can't we all just get along

[url]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_5289d70673357204be595dbcc3d52e8e/i-6_B_L.JPG[/url]
View Quote

Apparently we can't.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
[b]Anymore questions?[/b]
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/d13f9716/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/Lentech77.jpg?pfr1O4.AhCprbBNt[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#33]
[size=4]Locally, for the price of this:[/size=4]
[img]http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734/90e4f5f2ca6678/www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2003/Softail/FLSTF/images/img_Softail_FLSTF_c1.jpg [/img]

[size=4]I can get all this:[/size=4]
[img]http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/images/model/c028_029_030_031_photos_all/motorcycles/2003/CBR600RR/LargeHoriz/CBR600R_large_01.jpg [/img]

[img]http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/assets/images/model/model_hero_shot/motorcycles/2004/large/CRF450R.jpg[/img]

I think the choice is simple.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought my Fatboy in the Pic in 92 for $13,000. I could sell it today for no less than $18,000. Care to guess what you could get for the 2 rice burners 10 years from now? That is if they’re still in one piece..... By the way the Fatboy you posted is the 100 anniversary edition. It will appreciate much more than mine.

I think the choice is simple.....LOL
--RR
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bought my Fatboy in the Pic in 92 for $13,000. I could sell it today for no less than $18,000. Care to guess what you could get for the 2 rice burners 10 years from now? That is if they’re still in one piece..... By the way the Fatboy you posted is the 100 anniversary edition. It will appreciate much more than mine.

I think the choice is simple.....LOL
--RR
View Quote

Do you know why this is? Japanese bikes get better every year.  A 10 year old model has been surpassed by new models in weight reduction, horsepower, handling, brakes, you name it.  That drives the prices of older models much lower.  Not to mention brand new prices are pretty low as well.

Now Harley on the other hand....
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

expensive: You can get a sporty for not a whole lot, but the big twins are up there in price. For many, who believe that they can get a similar bike from another maker for less, this translates into "too expensive". It is a subjective thing, though. My used BMW was 9k. Some would call that expensive. *shrug*
View Quote

A 2003 Softail lists for $13k.
A 2003 Dyna Superglide lists for $12k.
A 2003 Electra Glide Standard lists for $15k.
A 2003 Vrod lists for $19k (which I agree is rediculous, but it is a nice bike.  This is a $3k jump from last year, guess they were losing their ass?)

Honda Valkyrie? $13k, and arguably the ugliest cruiser on the road as well.
VTX 1300? $9k
Kawasaki Vulcan $10k
It would appear that the Suzukis are a pretty good deal. An Intruder LC is $10k with a 1500cc engine in it.

So yes, the comparable bikes are cheaper from the japs.  However, I will direct you to my post above about the honda Ace vs. the Sporty.  You're not getting something for nothing, and you're not getting nothing for something.  Harley isn't making more or less money than the Japs, they're just spending more on parts and materials than the Japs, therefore the bike costs more.  You get what you pay for, it just depends on what it is you want.

This is just a characteristic of a non-counter balanced 45 degree v-twin engine.
View Quote

The new motor in the Softail line is the 88B.  I'll give you one guess what the 'B' stands for.
View Quote

If it stands for "Balanced", I'll give you one guess how many other motorcycle manufacturers have to distinguish engines that are actually balanced with a different part number [:)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Real men ride Harleys
View Quote
 [bounce] [beer] [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#38]
02 Kawasiki KLR 650 dual sport
79 Suzuki  SP 370 dual sport.

Lebrew
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#39]
On the other hand, I've been 'heckled' on several occasions, but it only happens when I'm riding solo and run into a group of Harley boys. They usually are civil on a one-to-one basis, but the 'Pack Mentality' seems to set in when they are in a group.

View Quote

That's when I say " Nanny Nanny BOO BOO, you can't catch me." and drop the clutch...  "Good-bye!"

[NUTS]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
BLAH blah blah

Get a crotchrocket.

Get a harley

Get a touring bike

If you put down another riders or that riders bike, then you are not a rider, you are a poser regardless of how long you have been riding or WHAT you ride.  [red](btw- You will see more posers on Harleys than on ANY other type of bike)[/red]

View Quote

You go on and on about "can't we all just get along" and then you say more posers on Harleys?  Which is it?
Come on down to Ft. Lauderdale where you'll find crotch rocket riders galore who most would consider posers.
Question though, what makes a poser?  Am I a poser because I ride a Harley but don't work in a meth lab?
There's really two arguments going on here.  Some of ya'll are arguing that HD isn't about performance and that's what you think a motorcycle should be about.  That's an argument about personal preference and I'm not going to debate you.  Hell I would love a Hayabusa or a Ducati.  Others are saying that HDs are unreliable or overpriced, which is bullshit.
I'd like to hear what the rest of ya'll performance riders ride.  In my mind if you're all about performance and you're riding anything other than a Hayabusa or a GSXR1000 or the new Ducati 999 then you're a poser.  If your whole thing is performance, why settle for anything less than the top performer?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not getting something for nothing, and you're not getting nothing for something.  Harley isn't making more or less money than the Japs, they're just spending more on parts and materials than the Japs, therefore the bike costs more.  You get what you pay for, it just depends on what it is you want.

[:)]
View Quote

This is a good laugh. Harley isn't making More or less money than the japs. AS I STATED EARLIER, OWNING A HARLEY IS A FAD DUDE.AND THEY ARE MAKING A RAPING
9 TIMES OUT OF 10 YOU CAN'T GO TO A DEALER AND PICK UP A HARDLY IN THE COLOR, STYLE YOU WANT. And the available inventory is always marked WAY up from MSRP? They ARE MAKING A RAPING!

This is a market strategy by the wigs that run HD. They only produce so many bikes in a certain amount of time. They know it is a fad, and that is the reasoning behind it. If they suddenly ramped up production to meet the FAD Demand, then the fad would end and the COOLNESS bubble would burst. Kind of like the music industry. They only release singles Off an LP one at a time. And so many different albums a year. If they released all the material at once, people get burned out and quit buying the product.

The difference is Jap bikes are Cheaper than Harley by a good measure, so the bubble doesn't burst. AS long as HARLEY V-twin is cool and someone makes a knock off cheaper, the knock off will sell.

The wigs that run harley are good business men and are making a killing with this strategy. But the BUBBLE WILL EVENTUALLY BURST and Harleys will be cheap again. AND THE COMPANY WILL CRY THAT IT IS broke ONCE AGAIN!

The V_ROD will NEVER be as big as it's jap counterparts, because it is basically a jap bike!

The only thing that keeps the big V-TWINs selling is the coolness of Nostalgia.

You can bitch and whine about how yours is better than mine, or mine is better than yours, but the truth is the truth my friend.

I've rode most out there at one point or another and wouldn't waste my Hard earned Money on something Inferior just to look cool.

This argument can best be paralleled by the Briggs& Straton VS. Honda lawn mower engines.

Both make good lawnmower engines. But you are kidding yourself if a fad comes along and stated that BRIGGS makes the superior engine.
Would you pay more for a BRIGGS if all of a sudden someone told you that you were only COOL if you were seen riding a lawnmover with a Briggs? Some would, in reality Honda still makes the superior engine.  

I don't buy it Folks, but don't knock what I ride, because the FAD is that your bike is cooler than mine. Some of ain't blind and can see the truth.

Please excuse me from this debate now, I have to get on ebay so I can shop for my new:

OFFICIALY LICENSED:
Harley toothbrush
Harley toilet paper
Harley cigarettes
Harley boots
Harley edition TRUCK
Harley Glasses
Harley edition AR 15
Harley shampoo
Harley pipe wrench
Harley ......

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Haven't read any of the answers so far posted. Haven't the time or the energy.

But in response to the question in the thread title.  REAL men don't have to ride Harleys, or any other specific brand of bike, car, or anything else. That's part of the reason they're REAL MEN

[;D]Silly thread[;D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#43]

I'd like to make the point that if you're a REAL MAN, you don't rely on a mechanical engine to move your bike for you.

Here's my bike - italian all the way, baby!  [:D]

[img]http://www.bianchiusa.com/site/bikes/road/images/01_Vigorelli_yellow.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BLAH blah blah

Get a crotchrocket.

Get a harley

Get a touring bike

If you put down another riders or that riders bike, then you are not a rider, you are a poser regardless of how long you have been riding or WHAT you ride.  [red](btw- You will see more posers on Harleys than on ANY other type of bike)[/red]

View Quote

You go on and on about "can't we all just get along" and then you say more posers on Harleys?  Which is it?
View Quote

Because it is true.  More posers buy harleys to buy 'status' than buy crotchrockets.  Is is exclusive? nope, and I did not say it was exclusive.  If you buy your bike to be able to say 'I own/ride a ' then you are probably a poser.

Come on down to Ft. Lauderdale where you'll find crotch rocket riders galore who most would consider posers.
View Quote

There is a difference between a squid and a poser, learn it.

Question though, what makes a poser?
View Quote

Buying a ride to 'pose' as a rider makes you a poser.

Am I a poser because I ride a Harley but don't work in a meth lab?
View Quote

Of course not, what a silly thing to say.

There's really two arguments going on here.  Some of ya'll are arguing that HD isn't about performance and that's what you think a motorcycle should be about.  That's an argument about personal preference and I'm not going to debate you.  Hell I would love a Hayabusa or a Ducati.  Others are saying that HDs are unreliable or overpriced, which is bullshit.
I'd like to hear what the rest of ya'll performance riders ride.  In my mind if you're all about performance and you're riding anything other than a Hayabusa or a GSXR1000 or the new Ducati 999 then you're a poser.
View Quote

Bullshit.  

Btw, the more you talk, the more you sound like a poser.  Again, it is NOT about WHAT you ride, but it is about WHY you ride.  Is that really such a difficult concept for you to understand?  If you ride simply to say 'I ride a ' then you are a poser. If you ride for the joy/exileration/fun of riding then you are a rider.

A person can be on a 250ninja and be a rider, whereas the person on the customized HD can be a poser.  The Bike has nothing to do with it.  Thinking that it is about the bike is typical 'poser think'.

(btw- since you are obsessed with 'what bike do you ride' I will say I ride a CBR600F4i, and I am not ashamed to admit it is better than I am, and will probably always be better)

If your whole thing is performance, why settle for anything less than the top performer?
View Quote

Define performance?

Do you think performance is simply straight line speed?

Do you think Performance is 1/4 drag speed?

Do you think performance is in the Twisties?

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#45]
1982 CB900F supersport. Very reliable and fast...so is the dog.

[img]http://home.attbi.com/~boomstick223/wsb/media/191806/site1009.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]
hey prof, if you're gonna post a pic of a bianchi, at least make it the proper color, Celeste!!!!!Fausto Coppi is rolling over in his grave as we speak.

as for harleys being a fad, lets consult Mr. Webster. Fad, a style, etc, that interests many people for a short period of time; a passing fashion. hmmmmm..... using your own definition, I guess this proves you're all wrong. don't think a fad would last 100 years....
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#47]
As I get older, I have started to want a pre-Evo Harley.  I'm now 41.  Thru my early teens I raced dirt bikes (YZs and RMs).  In high school I drag raced a 77 Suzuki GS-750 that I built up to an 870 with cams, Mikuni smoothbores, and a bunch of Yoshimura parts.  Then all thru college and a few years after, I road raced two-strokes - Yamaha RD-350s, 400s, and an RZ-350 when they first came out in 84 or 85.  I even did a couple of 24-hour endurance races.  Nowadays, I don't care about going fast, just want to be comfortable and ride something that I can work on myself.  It no longer bothers me that Harleys go slow, stop slow, and gets less MPG than an economy car.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
hey prof, if you're gonna post a pic of a bianchi, at least make it the proper color, Celeste!!!!!Fausto Coppi is rolling over in his grave as we speak.

View Quote

But then people would call me a poser!  [;)]  Actually, I got mine really cheap, but I had to take the one they had, which was the yellow shown.  

Btw - Boom_Stick, LOVE the Corgi.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As I get older, I have started to want a pre-Evo Harley.  I'm now 41.  Thru my early teens I raced dirt bikes (YZs and RMs).  In high school I drag raced a 77 Suzuki GS-750 that I built up to an 870 with cams, Mikuni smoothbores, and a bunch of Yoshimura parts.  Then all thru college and a few years after, I road raced two-strokes - Yamaha RD-350s, 400s, and an RZ-350 when they first came out in 84 or 85.  I even did a couple of 24-hour endurance races.  Nowadays, I don't care about going fast, just want to be comfortable and ride something that I can work on myself.  It no longer bothers me that Harleys go slow, stop slow, and gets less MPG than an economy car.
View Quote

Shovelheads RULE!

AB
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Our local Police Department dropped their HD and obtained BMW's this season...only paid $1 for each Harley, paid real money for the BMW machines.

I like Kawasaki's KLR650 Dual Purpose bikes, 6 gallon gas tank, drives off road and pavement equally well.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top