User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Blessings op.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!

People like to trash talk modern trucks, but a 20 year old model wouldn't have faired nearly as well. If you have a family you care about, putting them in a modern vehicle with modern safety features can be a literal life saver.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you're alright OP
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, you are lucky to be alive after that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
How long had you had the truck?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow!

People like to trash talk modern trucks, but a 20 year old model wouldn't have faired nearly as well. If you have a family you care about, putting them in a modern vehicle with modern safety features can be a literal life saver.
View Quote
Truth.

If OP was driving a truck from the '90s or earlier, he would either be dead or still hospitalized with life altering injuries.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]

modern vehicles are amazing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you are OK OP
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

modern vehicles are amazing.
View Quote
I am a big proponent of running vehicles into the ground and doing what you can to not have car notes.  That being said, my goal is to keep my wife and kids vehicle at no more than 10yrs old.  There are just too many amazing advances in safety to ignore them.  In before, "but my massive ol hunk of steel", because physics be damned when it comes to things like active restraints, crumple zones, energy absorption and transfer, numerous cabin airbags, etc...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dang, son.

Sad to hear the other guy didn't make it. Why people still insist on not wearing a seatbelt will always escape me. Did he die on scene, or later at the hospital?

And yeah, that truck saved your life.
View Quote
My Father-in-Law tells me that seatbelts kill people every day. Seatbelts trap you in the car. He doesn't wear a seatbelt unless he's in my car (I make him).

He heard an anecdotal story about someone who would have lived if they were wearing a seatbelt. And his family is very stubborn.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On the scene
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, son.

Sad to hear the other guy didn't make it. Why people still insist on not wearing a seatbelt will always escape me. Did he die on scene, or later at the hospital?

On the scene
Suicide?

Always wonder how many of the "how the hell did that happen" type crashes are suicide attempts.

And wow, that truck did exactly what it was designed to do.
It is a tradeoff. They (modern vehicles) are fragile in some ways and get totalled easily but do a great job of protecting their occupants in big hits like this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Other driver may have had a medical episode or was just screwing around on his phone.

Unfortunately, sometimes things just happen to us and it's completely out of our control. That's what you need to remember and don't blame yourself.

When I had my gun shop... I sold a Smith J-frame and a box of ammo to a guy. He went straight home, put the gun in his mouth and killed himself.

He was like every other customer that came through the door. Just a regular guy I never would have expected was suicidal.

I replayed my memory of the transaction over and over in my head trying to determine what I missed or if I missed a signal of some sort. Nothing. Not a single thing came to mind. He was a textbook normal customer.

I was pretty upset about it for a few weeks/months but eventually came to terms with it.

Life goes on and you just have to accept that many things are out of our control.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My Father-in-Law tells me that seatbelts kill people every day. Seatbelts trap you in the car. He doesn't wear a seatbelt unless he's in my car (I make him).

He heard an anecdotal story about someone who would have lived if they were wearing a seatbelt. And his family is very stubborn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, son.

Ever tell him he's a moron?

ALL of the safety systems in modern vehicles are designed with the assumption that occupants are belted in. Air bags, crumple zones, tensioners... everything. If your body isn't physically in the space where engineers expect it to be when designing that stuff, not only will it not work, but it might do more harm than good. Riding around with no seat belt doesn't just compromise the one safety system, it compromises all of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Suicide?

Always wonder how many of the "how the hell did that happen" type crashes are suicide attempts.

It is a tradeoff. They (modern vehicles) are fragile in some ways and get totalled easily but do a great job of protecting their occupants in big hits like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, son.

On the scene
Suicide?

That tradeoff sounds like cheap insurance to me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]
That's awesome that you could walk away from that bad of a crash.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad for you
Sorry for him

Truck saved your life fo sho
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, son.

On the scene
Suicide?

It kind of does.
Oddly I never felt unsafe driving older (60s-80s) vehicles until I got my newer truck that has all the safety features. Notice myself less enthusiastic about driving the older vehicles, partially because of that, partially because people can't drive worth a shit anymore.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad you are allright.

I have a hard time making out the make of the other vehicle.  Do you know?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#20]
The engineers absolutely earned their paycheck on that truck.  They did a great job.  I do wonder if most trucks perform similarly because of all of the engineering advances over the past several years/decades.  I'm not trying to minimize this at all.  Just wondering.

Do be sure to get checked over very well.  That kind of an impact can really mess you up.  I'd probably consider retaining an attorney because of the severity of the impact.  I can easily imagine the other insurance company trying to get out as fast and cheap as they can, leaving you in a really bad spot later on down the road.

Also, keep in touch with that pastor of yours.  He's checking in so often because he has probably seen this kind of thing before and knows how it can work as far as guilt, etc.

The folks at Dodge might be interested in your truck as well.  I'd suspect they could probably learn a thing or two from it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
dang.  glad you are safe.  Can't blame yourself

Looks like other truck is an F150
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It kind of does.
Oddly I never felt unsafe driving older (60s-80s) vehicles until I got my newer truck that has all the safety features. Notice myself less enthusiastic about driving the older vehicles, partially because of that, partially because people can't drive worth a shit anymore.
View Quote
Part of that was just not knowing any better, part was the fact they were getting safer compared to what came before.

Trucks especially made improvements to recent years. Small offset and rollover testing revealed some serious deficiencies in them. Even that only came about when they realized how many amputations there were from full sized trucks built in the 90's. An accident involving a car straying into oncoming traffic (like a texting driver) and just clipping someone and you lose a leg as the suspension enters the passenger compartment. Then the weight and size that makes everyone feel safe comes into play on rollovers. Now we have massive A pillars.

Learning about all the design deficiencies (understandable at the time, but troubling in retrospect) made me a lot less enthusiastic about driving loved ones around in an older vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow man, those pictures are crazy. Glad you made it out alive. Big trucks do feel safer and I am glad to have my Tundra. What kind of new truck are you going to get?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Part of that was just not knowing any better, part was the fact they were getting safer compared to what came before.

Trucks especially made improvements to recent years. Small offset and rollover testing revealed some serious deficiencies in them. Even that only came about when they realized how many amputations there were from full sized trucks built in the 90's. An accident involving a car straying into oncoming traffic (like a texting driver) and just clipping someone and you lose a leg as the suspension enters the passenger compartment. Then the weight and size that makes everyone feel safe comes into play on rollovers. Now we have massive A pillars.

Learning about all the design deficiencies (understandable at the time, but troubling in retrospect) made me a lot less enthusiastic about driving loved ones around in an older vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kind of does.

Yup.

When I was a teenager in a ‘85 F-150, I felt like an invincible man in an armored vehicle. Then I joined the Army, learned a thing or two about mortality, learned about crash testing, and spent some time in newer vehicles.

Driving that same ‘85 F-150 as a 30 year old with a 2014 F-150 in my driveway was eye opening. The handling was awful, there’s no ABS, there’s no air bags, and there isn’t really any crash structure. Hell... there weren’t even head rests. It was just a straight up bench with the rear window 3” behind my head because it was a single cab truck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you made it  relatively unscathed. Your pickup was a steal no matter what you paid for it.  Take care of your self.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like a quad cab, short bed?

I've had one since November.   Nice to see it can take that kind of hit.

Get checked out, like people said.  Don't be afraid to get some counseling if you need it in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I read more than I post here but I thought you might find this interesting, sad day.

2019 Dodge Ram, someone didn't stop at a highway intersection and I hit them. I walked away.  I pretty much owe my life to the safety features of this truck.

Images are pretty large so I linked them to my drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zvsuY-qK5XOHq28MmzdE-MbtX4CPfmG3
View Quote
2019 you just bought it, I'd be bouncing off the walls.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No seat belt
View Quote
So the guy was driving fast with no seat belt? That dumbass could've killed you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I read more than I post here but I thought you might find this interesting, sad day.

2019 Dodge Ram, someone didn't stop at a highway intersection and I hit them. I walked away.  I pretty much owe my life to the safety features of this truck.

Images are pretty large so I linked them to my drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zvsuY-qK5XOHq28MmzdE-MbtX4CPfmG3
View Quote

Damn man, glad you are okay.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad you made it out as well as you did. I have cut hundreds of people out of vehicles, some alive some not. The human body is amazing at times and fragile at other times. I have had people like you walk away, sign a waiver and be dead a few hours later. Usually lacerated liver/ internal organs from wearing seat belt NOT over the pelvis and over the stomach area. They say they are just sore. A ride for a ultrasound or MRI may have saved a few.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Bad crash, glad you ok.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Glad you are alive and safe to tell us about what happened OP.  Also serves as a reminder that no matter how good or safe we think we are, shit can happen anytime.  Things like this is why I tell my son I love him every morning when I leave for work.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How long had you had the truck?
View Quote
2 months or so
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have more pictures that I can't post here that would tell a different story to him.  They do work.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Glad you are allright.

View Quote
It's a 2005 F150 I didn't post the other pictures of it. I could probably send them privately, its pretty mangled, worse than mine. It only had one airbag deployed, not that it mattered. The front wheel of the Ford and axle shafts are still laying in the ditch.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The engineers absolutely earned their paycheck on that truck.  They did a great job.  I do wonder if most trucks perform similarly because of all of the engineering advances over the past several years/decades.  I'm not trying to minimize this at all.  Just wondering.

Do be sure to get checked over very well.  That kind of an impact can really mess you up.  I'd probably consider retaining an attorney because of the severity of the impact.  I can easily imagine the other insurance company trying to get out as fast and cheap as they can, leaving you in a really bad spot later on down the road.

Also, keep in touch with that pastor of yours.  He's checking in so often because he has probably seen this kind of thing before and knows how it can work as far as guilt, etc.

The folks at Dodge might be interested in your truck as well.  I'd suspect they could probably learn a thing or two from it.
View Quote
The engineering dept at FCA (Ram) has all the photos.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Were they distracted by your window sticker?

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's a 2005 F150 I didnt post the other pictures of it. I cold probably send them privately, its pretty mangled, worse than mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad you are allright.

It's a 2005 F150 I didnt post the other pictures of it. I cold probably send them privately, its pretty mangled, worse than mine.
I see damage at both ends of the other truck. Where did you hit it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have more pictures that I can't post here that would tell a different story to him.  They do work.
View Quote
Yeah, I have one you can show him that seatbelts work...even though it pains me greatly ...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I see damage at both ends of the other truck. Where did you hit it?
View Quote
passenger side, its pretty hard to tell in that photo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#41]
nevermind, i posted the ford and changed my mind, pm me if you want to show your kids that seat belts work.

First thing I did was start taking photos to document the scene.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

2019 you just bought it, I'd be bouncing off the walls.
View Quote
Couple years ago a friend of mine bought a brand new F150 ecoboost crew cab. Left the dealer, went to eat before going home. Started getting freezing rain and on the way home, a truck coming the other direction started fishtailing and clipped the back of his brand new truck throwing it into a spin which ended up going down the embankment and rolling over. He never even got the truck home after buying it. Other truck kept going. His wife had 2 broken fingers, he was banged up. Maybe 20 total miles on the truck.

Glad you are OK OP. Your Ram did its job the way it was designed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have one you can show him that seatbelts work...even though it pains me greatly ...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0844_JPG-883904.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0844_JPG-883904.JPG
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad you're OK, OP.

I drive a 2017 Ford F350 4x4 dually.  It weighs 8,200 pounds.  I am rather confident that it gives me an advantage in most accidents.  Modern truck, modern safety, much mass.

Then again, I have some motorcycles I ride as well.  I guess it averages out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn op, glad you walked away.

The Ram has been on my short list for my next vehicle and this just bumped it up a notch.

Almost a year ago my uncle was in a deadly head on with a sheriffs deputy. The deputy tried passing a firetruck at the crest of a hill going 114 mph in a 50 on a two lane road. When he crested the hill he ran head on into my uncle and his new 4Runner.

The front fell off the 4Runner but other than the airbags you couldn't tell from the front seat anything had happened.

Unfortunately the deputy didn't survive. The thread I guess is in the archives but I don't know how to get to it.

Eta:  Found it

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#46]
OP is a lucky man, someone was watching over you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kind of does.

I have a couple of 80s toyota trucks.

Frames are pretty stout, even in comparison to the newer trucks. Everything else is made out of tinfoil. I watched a truck similar to mine clip a curb at under 15 mph, driver overreacted and put the truck on its roof. The entirety of the cab/roof crushed flat with the tops of the doors. . Guy survived with minor cuts because he was able to lean over into the passenger side to escape being crushed.

100% chance I would have died in the crash that OP was in if I was in one of my older trucks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Glad you're ok. I drive a 2019 RAM also. Good to see how safe they are.

Neurobit
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Damn op, glad you walked away.

The Ram has been on my short list for my next vehicle and this just bumped it up a notch.

Almost a year ago my uncle was in a deadly head on with a sheriffs deputy. The deputy tried passing a firetruck at the crest of a hill going 114 mph in a 50 on a two lane road. When he crested the hill he ran head on into my uncle and his new 4Runner.

The front fell off the 4Runner but other than the airbags you couldn't tell from the front seat anything had happened.

Unfortunately the deputy didn't survive. The thread I guess is in the archives but I don't know how to get to it.

Eta:  Found it

https://i.imgur.com/JL2rvV2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote
That is absolutely incredible and is a testament to the safety of modern automobiles.

Assuming your uncle was driving near the speed limit, that's around a 165 mph closing speed.  Vehicles even a few years ago simply couldn't protect occupants from those kids of forces.

The Charger is not a small car and its weight depending on trim is not much less than the 4Runner.

The 4Runner, however, is a body-on-frame SUV and is very stoutly built- the Lexus GX and the European Land Cruiser Prado (baby Land Cruiser) are basically the same vehicle.  Toyota has had many years of incremental improvement to get the 4Runner where it is today.

It's unfortunate that the deputy's lapse in judgement cost him his life but your uncle was very fortunate that he was in one of the best vehicles in the world.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Damn, have they made updates to safety with the new model or is my '14 2500 up to snuff?

Glad you're ok OP, sorry you had to go through this.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top