Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.bvmjets.com

Yes!   I have the F-16.   The turbine conversion continues to beguile me, but I also have an RV6A project to think of...

Local guy has the mig15. Hydraulic brakes and all. Pretty neat but to much work chasing it all over the place with a fire extinquisher.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The speeds are such that a Cessna is still in little danger.

so a 42 pound plane hitting a cessna at 75 mph will be like a leaf hitting the ground right?

if so, why did a 50% Decathlon take out 120 foot of chain link fence. First 3 steel poles was chopped in too by the prop at 1/4 throttle.

www.scorpio.it/Hangar9/pics/04p.jpg

Theres a pic for size reference

Ask digdug about the cube rule for AC scale. Twice the size equals three times the weight IIRC. That is what makes some of the Jumbo Russian Antonov aircraft truely amazing.

Guys I do apologize for my initial post. I thought I had communicated more than I really did. Scaring some inattentive RCer to a more reasonable altitude and really trying to splash them are two different things. Planerench

The square law is why my scale planes have fat ugly wings. All loads are off. But then it could be argued, as it has by some, that the wing shape has little to do with lift. Some have said Bernoulli is full of crap. Remember, it's an equation, not a law

a good read:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bernnew.html

Sorry, I was recalling the speed/drag cube rule instead of the square rule. I have heard the Bernouli thing and think it is funny that we could be wrong after so many years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have enough experience to know what is safe and what is not.

I would have thought so, based on some of your previous posts, but apparently not.  

If you really chased them to 300' AGL, you were in violation of FAR 91.119 (c) :

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above
the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In
those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to
any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

You'd likely also be tagged for violating FAR 91.13 ("Careless or reckless operation.") if only because the FAA likes to append that to almost every violation.

Perhaps some quality time with a CFI or an FAA Safety Counselor might be in order?

Did I ever tell you the story of the time I burst the Pie-ball at a large balloon launch while the FAA rep was watching getting ready to sign off on the event? Same type of thing accept completely righteous on my part. The fed tried to stick me but couldn't.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sorry, I was recalling the speed/drag cube rule instead of the square rule. I have heard the Bernouli thing and think it is funny that we could be wrong after so many years.

I floored a physics prof because of the same article in a popular mechanics mag. I'm undecided as I have not done any deep physical research on the topic. But the simplest answer tends to be the correct one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
i remember seeing here some guy posted some links to a guy who was building a huge SR-71 and a SU-27. only wish i could find those links agian.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is the king of all RC planes...

B-52 RC Video

Yes... that one was a shame.  IT was also stupid to fly it in such gusty conditions.

THAT was awesome!!!!!

Wind look just fine to me, I was paying attention to the windsock at the end of the runway and saw nothing of concern.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd like to learn more about the giant scale Lufthansa 747 pictured.   I found the C117's site.  Cool.

CJ

I've had that pic for a few years now. I don't remember were I got it from but you could try posting the pic on rcuniverse.com and ask. I'm sure someone knows.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

B-52 RC Video

Yes... that one was a shame.  IT was also stupid to fly it in such gusty conditions.

THAT was awesome!!!!!

Wind look just fine to me, I was paying attention to the windsock at the end of the runway and saw nothing of concern.

AHHHHH, you all haven't seen the other video of the 52!!!  They crash like real too. BIG mushroom cloud.

Did a quick google and it's still online. Top of the page has the links.

http://www.f5d.co.uk/videos.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Speaking as a student pilot,  I don't want to run into so much as a sparrow in midair.    The idea of knocking props with a 15 pound model plane with a hot metal engine in it of ANY size is a bit scary.

Particularly  when some of those RC aircraft can be FASTER than the Cessnas or Pipers that I fly!

CJ

Just for your instruction CM, you don't try to avoid birds. They are much more agile than you. A bird strike may be inevitable but if you go and try to manuver you can cause one that the bird was going to avoid. Avoid formations of birds, though. I have repaired many a bird strike but in over 6000hr have never had one myself. I have had pleanty of near misses and the closest I have come is when I was already manuvering when encountering the bird. They will avoid you.

I have seen a Canadian goose nearly take out an F-4 but a similar sized swan fail to take out a Cessna 150 with a direct hit on the windscreen. Just flow with it. Oh, yeah, and duck! (Don't accept an aircraft with a crazed windscreen as airworthy no matter how desperate you are!)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

B-52 RC Video

THAT was awesome!!!!!

AHHHHH, you all haven't seen the other video of the 52!!!  They crash like real too. BIG mushroom cloud.

Yep, exceeded max angle of bank.......
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

B-52 RC Video

THAT was awesome!!!!!

Yep, exceeded max angle of bank.......

I'll bet the B-52 was using spoilers for roll control true to the real thing and the modeler had no experience flying such a craft. That is what crashed the B-52 at that airshow a while back. You can see the that aircraft stall into the turn when the pilot tried to recover.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I went to the first 3 or 4 "Top Gun" RC Air Shows in Wellington, Florida.  Amazing stuff there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top