Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that thing even had a left rear leg left to charge with.  Watch it flop around when it's on the ground.

Jesus.  That's why I couldn't decide what gun to take hog hunting.  I only have a .308 bolt action, a 12 gauge shotty, and the AUG (for rifles).

But next time I'm in TX I want to go, dammit!
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I laughed at 20 seconds.....  
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That looks interesting. Goes to show you that your ccw handgun absolutely sucks at stopping a man. That boar weighed 50-75 pounds and needed a headshot or two to take it down.  

50 pounds my ass..
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks interesting. Goes to show you that your ccw handgun absolutely sucks at stopping a man. That boar weighed 50-75 pounds and needed a headshot or two to take it down.  

50 pounds my ass..

I don't know much about hogs, but I'd guess that thing was 150 pounds at LEAST.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
There is always a fucking wise ass on GD.  Ask a simple question and get a stupid ass remark.  I have been hunting for plenty of years.  Never hunted hog and never hunted with a handgun.  It has never taken me more than two shots to kill anything.  Not to mention that it took fucking 8 shots to drop it.  Dead or not it still needed 8 shots to drop it.  In my book that means something is wrong.  Having never hunted hog I was not willing to guess why it took 8 shots to drop it.

So.. if you are done being a wise ass, I will move along and wait for a coherent answer.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nine Shots and still not dead.  Although you cannot count the one to the rear leg.   I am a Northerner so know nothing about Hog Hunting so I am wondering if he brought enough gun to the hunt or if he was just a bad shot or if Hogs are just that tough.

Or––you're not a hunter and think things die by just falling over and lying still, as in the movies.  That hog was dead before the last two shots were fired.  The thrashing is normal for a brain shot––for all animals––whenever the base of the brain isn't hit.  Still dead though.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
He really needs a 10mm at the minimum and preferably a .44 magnum.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes they die quick, other times not so. Back leg was shredded and it still managed to close the distance PDQ.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Holy shit that is one tough SOB !  

Yeah they're tough but I'd be willing to bet Mr. Shitty Hunter missed or hit on the edges with most of the .45 shots until the boar was close. He wounded the shit out of it and it bled out eventually but

Dude's a tard for trying to shoot one handed while running a camera; probably why he wounded the boar instead of killing in the first place. Wonder if he was using an Encore and didn't want to drop the camera to reload. That whole video is an example of how stupid some folks can be.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]
That is one tough animal, yeah next time two hands.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That boar makes a damn good case for carrying a double-stack sidearm.

2 words....
Shot placement.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is always a fucking wise ass on GD.  Ask a simple question and get a stupid ass remark.  I have been hunting for plenty of years.  Never hunted hog and never hunted with a handgun. [red] It has never taken me more than two shots to kill anything.  Not to mention that it took fucking 8 shots to drop it.  Dead or not it still needed 8 shots to drop it.  In my book that means something is wrong.  Having never hunted hog I was not willing to guess why it took 8 shots to drop it.
So.. if you are done being a wise ass, I will move along and wait for a coherent answer.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nine Shots and still not dead.  Although you cannot count the one to the rear leg.   I am a Northerner so know nothing about Hog Hunting so I am wondering if he brought enough gun to the hunt or if he was just a bad shot or if Hogs are just that tough.

Or––you're not a hunter and think things die by just falling over and lying still, as in the movies.  That hog was dead before the last two shots were fired.  The thrashing is normal for a brain shot––for all animals––whenever the base of the brain isn't hit.  Still dead though.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is always a fucking wise ass on GD.  Ask a simple question and get a stupid ass remark.  I have been hunting for plenty of years.  Never hunted hog and never hunted with a handgun.  It has never taken me more than two shots to kill anything.  Not to mention that it took fucking 8 shots to drop it.  Dead or not it still needed 8 shots to drop it.  In my book that means something is wrong.  Having never hunted hog I was not willing to guess why it took 8 shots to drop it.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Coherent answer. Pistol is not a reliable one shot stopper on that size animal. Should have used a rifle and not hit it in the leg.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

boar weight or you think the mighty 45 knocks people over in their tracks?

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
One tough hog
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Obviously NOT a .45

Had it indeed been a .45, it would have instantly transformed the critter into a giant plate of bacon.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
bolt action rifle? maybe thats why he is using his .45.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coherent answer. Pistol is not a reliable one shot stopper on that size animal. Should have used a rifle and not hit it in the leg.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

50 pounds my ass..

I don't know much about hogs, but I'd guess that thing was 150 pounds at LEAST.

Maybe it's just my phone screen but that looked pretty small. looking again 100lbs.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
meh - I've been in that situation a couple times and only had a hank of rope.

Hog hunting with guns is cheating.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Cmon, you gotta kinda feel bad for the fucker.

Hes got some balls thats for sure, the pig, not the guy. He just got hit with a rifle round and hes charging the guy who shot him.

Say what you want, thats a bad ass animal and deserves some respect even if you are gonna kill and eat him.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#21]
The boar was charging very slowly and without a lot of coordination due to a shattered left rear leg and what looks to be a damaged right rear. If that boar had four good legs on that charge that guy would've have been in trouble due to his poor shooting.

Barbecue.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Guys who have never been around pigs have no idea how dense they are. I used to raise a couple feeder pigs. You would piglets about 14" long. They weighed 25-30 lbs. That hog was not a 75 lb animal. Much denser than a deer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hes got some balls thats for sure, the pig, not the guy. He just got hit with a rifle round and hes charging the guy who shot him.

Say what you want, thats a bad ass animal and deserves some respect even if you are gonna kill and eat him.

All the more reason to have made a better shot with the rifle in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
meh - I've been in that situation a couple times and only had a hank of rope.

Hog hunting with guns is cheating.

Yup^
But if you have to don't just shoot at the head, aim for the sweet spot. He hit that thing in a bunch of places before he got it right. Breath aim squeeze
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Wonder what ammo he was using.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They're tough but a .45 in the right spot will drop them in their tracks
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the more reason to have made a better shot with the rifle in the first place.

Sometimes that's easier said than done, as they don't always hold still, and sometimes the bullet is deflected by vegetation.  There's often too many variables to interfere and screw up an otherwise good shot.  As feral hogs are just vermin you take whatever shot presents itself and don't worry about making a clean kill.

Why?

If youre not concerned about a clean kill on one animal, why be concerned about a clean kill on another?

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

bolt action rifle? maybe thats why he is using his .45.

He had plenty of time to use a bolt rifle.

Certainly had enough to get his camera rolling.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes that's easier said than done, as they don't always hold still, and sometimes the bullet is deflected by vegetation.  There's often too many variables to interfere and screw up an otherwise good shot.  As feral hogs are just vermin you take whatever shot presents itself and don't worry about making a clean kill.

Maybe it's just me, but vermin or no I always go for a clean kill.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never hunted boar but it looks to me like his charge was more of a jog.

Still dangerous i am sure but not a puckerd butthole moment

Your balls, they are bigger than mine.

If I was in his shoes I would most likely feel different. In the video at least the boar didnt seem to be moving all that fast.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I HATE feral hogs. They are such a nuisance here in Tejas.

I enjoyed watching that fvcker die.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess Im just a big softy liberal hippy pussy, cause I agree.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What? It has been proven over and over again that handgun rounds suck at stopping things
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#35]
But gee, according to the 1911 guys a 45 will stop an elephant in it's tracks with just one shot
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if he was running hardball in the .45. Perhaps a premium HP, like an HST or a Ranger might be in order.
If he's not going to use his rifle for a second shot, he should get an eight shot riot gun and use buck or slugs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does (most) everyone else.  The difference is, you pass a marginal shot on a game animal, while taking <whatever shot is available> on vermin.  Nonhunters will never grasp this, hence my first post in this thread.  

Actually been hunting since I was 12. Doesn't change my shot selection.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Should of just thrown a glock at it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]
We agree on that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does (most) everyone else.  The difference is, you pass a marginal shot on a game animal, while taking <whatever shot is available> on vermin.  Nonhunters will never grasp this, hence my first post in this thread.  

Im just trying to understand why.

Im not saying dont kill the animal. Im just wondering why is it OK to risk a marginal shot on what might be considered a "vermin" animal and let them die painfully and slowly but a trophy buck deserves the respect of a clean death.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Poor little guy was just lumbering over for some medical attention.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im just trying to understand why.

Im not saying dont kill the animal. Im just wondering why is it OK to risk a marginal shot on what might be considered a "vermin" animal and let them die painfully and slowly but a trophy buck deserves the respect of a clean death.

Some animals are more equal than others...
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry, But if he hit it at 200 yds with a high power rifle he should have finished it with the rife.Fast and clean.

Unless of course he was only hunting with 1 rifle bullet(Barney Fife).

Roy
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Geeze. What kind of idiot goes hog hunting with anything but an M2? Even if he was using black powder he could have bought a 30 round mag for it at least......

It's just a charging hog. Why didn't he just pop up a shooting bench and slap an optic on so he could have shot it straight in the eye?

It's a harmless little piggy that didn't deserve to die. This hunter should have gotten what he deserved.

I could have head shot that hog at 300 yards with my P22. This guy should kill himself he's such a bad shot.

Do I get a medal for following typical ArdCom fashion?
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Was that really a charge?  The boar was in a fenced enclosure with no cover so running past the "hunter" was really the only avenue of escape.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I HATE feral hogs. They are such a nuisance here in Tejas.

I enjoyed watching that fvcker die.

California doesnt have as many of them and a one day "hunt" runs about $450.00
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#50]
If you have to go handgun 10mm to the back of the head works everytime.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top