BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Do not do it.

Unless you don't value your credit or relationship with your brother.

Not only have I seen it happen to friends, but a I work at a credit union, where I started out in collections and now actually do auto loans.

I don't know what the success rate is but I can tell you that it backfires very often.

Any contract you draw up with him is irrelevant for us. Anything you say about it is irrelevant to us. It's your loan and you will be responsible for it until its paid.

Proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't mind 'giving' him the truck, go for it.

However, I'd bet in a majority of examples these type of deals don't end well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I let my brother do this for a car I owned years ago. Gave it to him with a year left on payments, and when he finished them I signed over the title to him. Turned out fine.

Saying that, there are all kinds of things that could go wrong doing this.

I mainly did it because he was still in college, was being supported by my Dad, and my Dad said he would handle him if anything happened. Oh, and my Dad was a co-signer on the loan when I bought the car in the first place.

Now that my brother is out on his own I would not do it again - I'd make him go get a loan and sell it to him if he wanted it.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Watch out here! My uncle co-signed a loan for my cousin and ten years later the bank called him to collect on a LATER loan. It turns out that once you co-sign for someone, you're on the hook to cover their loans for them FOREVER!   (yes, lawyer said that's how it works!).   This was in Ga so YMMV.

My advice, don't do it!  If you're brother really IS responsible, take him to CU or bank and have him refinance the truck in his name. He he can't or won't, then he IS NOT responsible and you shouldn't be expecting to get payments EVER!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst case scenario, he kills someone, and your life is destroyed.

OK, that's more like it. Care to expand on that scenario?

Your name on the title, it's yours regardless whatever Mickey Mouse dining room table documents you try to proffer.

Your name on the title, your responsibility.

No way around that.

Oh, he says he'll insure if?

For how much?  10 million?  

Seriously, don't do it.  Sell it to him, and co-sign a loan if you must (I wouldn't), but put the title in his name.

Watch out here! My uncle co-signed a loan for my cousin and ten years later the bank called him to collect on a LATER loan. It turns out that once you co-sign for someone, you're on the hook to cover their loans for them FOREVER!   (yes, lawyer said that's how it works!).   This was in Ga so YMMV.

My advice, don't do it!  If you're brother really IS responsible, take him to CU or bank and have him refinance the truck in his name. He he can't or won't, then he IS NOT responsible and you shouldn't be expecting to get payments EVER!

It's still a stupid idea but that isn't how cosigning works unless they hooked him into some other bullshit.

Cosigning on a loan is for that single instrument. Not everything they ever borrow.

Now this isn't to say if the other guy defaults they won't TRY to collect from cosigners on his previous loans, but the cosigner has no obligation to pay it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Rules for finances & family/friends:

1. I don't loan money, if I want to help them out, it's a gift, not a loan, regardless of size.  I've gifted thousands before, no strings attached.  If they want to repay me later, it's a gift, not a loan repayment.  If there is no expectation of anything coming back, there are no hard feelings when it doesn't.

2. I don't cosign for anything, nor would I ask them to.  They are family, if they are kicked out onto the street or starving for lack of food, I'll help them out, but I won't tie my finances to them in any way.

If the bank won't loan them money on their own credit, why would you?

I've seen relationships permanently ruined because somebody was "so kind" to a family member or friend by loaning them money or tying finances together.  Best intentions don't matter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take him to the bank and have the loan switched into his name.  Done!  
Payments will be much cheaper too, since they will likely refinance it for another 5yrs

ETA:  Never do business with friends or family.  I've learned the hard way both times.
View Quote

this...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I see no pro's and all con's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You've clearly decided it's OK to do this, regardless of all the real-world experience to the contrary that people are giving you. Knock yourself out.
View Quote

Im going with this too.
If you want to sell it to your brother, just letting him take over payments wont help build his credit, but if he fucks up it sure will ding yours.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can afford the payments in case he doesn't pay, I guess you could go for it. Problem is going to be taking your truck back, when he misses a payment. Or having him trash the truck and decide he doesn't want to pay for it anymore, leaving you with a payment and a lesser truck.

I foresee much drama in your future. I wouldn't do it. Let him finance what's owed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rules for finances & family/friends:

1. I don't loan money, if I want to help them out, it's a gift, not a loan, regardless of size.  I've gifted thousands before, no strings attached.  If they want to repay me later, it's a gift, not a loan repayment.  If there is no expectation of anything coming back, there are no hard feelings when it doesn't.

2. I don't cosign for anything, nor would I ask them to.  They are family, if they are kicked out onto the street or starving for lack of food, I'll help them out, but I won't tie my finances to them in any way.

If the bank won't loan them money on their own credit, why would you?

I've seen relationships permanently ruined because somebody was "so kind" to a family member or friend by loaning them money or tying finances together.  Best intentions don't matter.

View Quote

This. I'm very generous with my family, but it's always a gift and never a loan.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top