BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Sweet setup Szurgot!

Thanks, I agree with what others have said.  Only downside is the price of colt mags.
Promags do not work for me, consistently anyway.  Hopefully cproducts will come thru with a good product, I have put off buying more mags until I give them a try.

The other advice I can give is get a good mag block.  I am completly satisfied with my Hahn dedicated.  It cost 200 bucks, but has given me 0 problems that I see other 9mm owners with different block wrestling with.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a COLT!

Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ive shot both. Side by side. Both in semi and in full auto. The 9mm has a different feeling recoil. More sluggish and to me harder hitting. I'm recoil sensitive and I can tell the difference, to me the 9mm recoils more. Perhaps the AR gas platform doesnt handle the 9mm round as well as its intended .223 round?

The idea of a suppressor sounds great on a .223 AR, even better if you get it SBR'ed!

The 9mm AR's don't use the gas system, it's a direct blowback, and it does seem to have a bit more recoil.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An ar15 does not have that much recoil.

of course it doesn't.

But I'm not going to just tell my wife - a loving, adorable, caring yet stubborn woman of about 5'4" and 120lbs - "Suck it up and shoot the rifle" because that approach is guaranteed to make her HATE it.

That's why I'm angling for this approach. Plus I get a toy when she (hopefully) "graduates" to a higher power system.

+1

Usually, I'd tell someone my age or less "Suck it up, don't be a ****ing pussy" but, that isn't an appropriate response to the Mrs. at all.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't think the recoil from a 9mm AR is less than the a 5.56, it's just different.

I think both of mine (RRA and COLT) recoil a bit more than a 223 gun
but they are quieter obviously
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm more of a 357 Sig fan myself

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some time next year I am considering a 9mm AR for my wife. She is both recoil and noise sensitive, and when I took her out to shoot her SIG 228, she only put a couple rounds through it because it intimidated her (I put NO pressure on her to do this and instructed her well, working her up from a .22 to ger her used to the idea). I figured I'd get a 9mm AR for plinking, for the hey of it (I shot a FA 9mm AR and it was fun, so I'd use this one as well), that she could use too, with the added benefit of it familiarizing her with the manual of arms of the 5.56mm ARs.

I know there is a pistol-caliber AR forum here but wanted opinions on WHETHER to get one or not, from the "Hive Mind".

Also, who makes a good one? Bushmaster? RRA? (I've had positive experiences with both manufacturers, but the only one I KNOW makes a 9mm is Rock River...)

TIA
jim

This is why a MP5 is my home defense gun. I know the wife isn't afraid of it.

Be advised that the Bushmaster 9mms are the Professional Ordnance design, I don't know if they improved it but the POs were pretty bad.

I have a few RRA 9mms myself with no problems and have only ever had a problem with 1 that was sold to a customer.

Also 9mm carbines suppress nicely.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Big pro is availability of ammo, you can get 9mm almost everywhere.

Negatives are expensive mags, and the fact that some must have modified hammer to work.

Just wondering which don't need a modified hammer?  I'd just buy the upper and use it on my .223 lower.... that will work right... sorry for the hijack

No it won't work.

Need to replace the hammer and buffer system.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
SBR it and put a can on it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't think the recoil from a 9mm AR is less than the a 5.56, it's just different.

It is less, more importantly it's much quieter.

For most wives their is actual recoil and perceived recoil.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Negatives are expensive mags, and the fact that some must have modified hammer to work.

Just wondering which don't need a modified hammer?  I'd just buy the upper and use it on my .223 lower.... that will work right... sorry for the hijack

No it won't work.

Neither my Colt upper nor my Oly upper required any buffer or hammer mods or replacement and both function 100%.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it won't work.

Neither my Colt upper nor my Oly upper required any buffer or hammer mods or replacement and both function 100%.

You must not have a standard "notched" AR hammer, or your Colt type bolt has been ramped.

As others have stated correctly above, a factory Colt 9mm bolt will NOT work with a normal "notched" AR hammer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine, with YHM Wraith suppressor.
Awesome fun! Get one!

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You must not have a standard "notched" AR hammer, or your Colt type bolt has been ramped.

As others have stated correctly above, a factory Colt 9mm bolt will NOT work with a normal "notched" AR hammer.

Ahh, maybe. I'll look later. I bought the Colt used and I love it!

ETA yep, you're correct. It is ramped with a nice gradual cut. I never noticed that before.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the input guys! I will keep my eyes open. It'll hopefully be next year that I can start really researching them. Right what I am thinking is starting with a Rock River and working out from there... Hahn mag block if needed, etc. I want good stuff and will pay for it.

RE: the MP5 ... that was the other Class III 9mm I shot ... that thing was like driving a BMW. It was so refined compared even to the 9mm AR. If I only had the $$$ for one of those! Plus, slapping that bolt release just puts you in the mood to rock and roll...!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the VM Hy-Tech mag block you can use with unmodified Uzi mags.  I got a 16" RRA 9mm upper, tore the FSB off and slapped a Troy Ind 12" rail on it with a nice SEI 9mm Vortex.  Looks great and runs even better with mag block and $8 25 round Uzi mags.  

I would agree that the 9mm has a bit more recoil than a .223 of a similar congifuration.  But it is cheaper to shoot nowadays...  $12/100 at Walmart all the time is nice.  But, it loses out to the HK94 because it IS like a BMW - smooth and everything is just right.  

My girlfriend only likes shooting the Walther P22.  I tried letting her shoot my FN PS90 and she really didn't like that at all.  I was a bit upset about that but I'm getting over it slowly!!!

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They are a fun toy.  The biggest downside is the price of magazines.  

Use modified Uzi mags...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've had an Oly 9mm carbine for years and LOVE it (as has most everyone whom I've let shoot it, esp. women-folk).

Enough so that I just traded for a second one that uses unmodified Glock mags (it arrived yesterday and I pick it up TONIGHT! ).

If I like that set-up as much as I suspect I will, I'll probably say bye-bye to the Sten mags forever.

My suspicions were correct -- I LOVE this thing even more than my old one.  No more Sten mags for me...

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/GL9-right30.jpg

(As I received it -- I'm going to change the color/configuration, of course. )

How reliable is that set-up?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How reliable is that set-up?

I just got it, so I honestly don't know long-term.  (Although I've had my older Sten-mag Oly for years and it has been very reliable.)  

The one and only time I took it to the range thus far I ran 6 33-rd mags (loaded to 30 each) through it, 4 FMJ and 2 GDHP, and I couldn't  make it hiccup (even with a rapid-fire mag dump of each type of ammo).  So far, I'm impressed.  And I carry a Glock daily, so you can imagine the added appeal of this set-up for me.

What do 30 rd. Glock mags run if I may ask?

Curiosity is piqued.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I just don't see the point in shooting a handgun round out of a rifle or carbine platform.  I have never shot an 9mm AR, but the 5.56mm AR already has little recoil.  

+1

Except for recreational use or unless you're going to put a can on it, I don't see the point of going this route.  As is always said here, handgun rounds are handgun rounds and rifle rounds are rifle rounds.  I wouldn't want to use a handgun round for defense when I could just as easily use a rifle round.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#24]
33rd Gock mags are now selling from $25-$35 range.....thought I could help.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Pros: 9mm

Cons: 9mm
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Make her shoot the sig again.  She was just skiddish because she didn't know what to expect since it was her first time with that weapon/caliber.

Take her to the range a few times and have her shoot a lot, she will know the recoil and it will eliminate her fear of the unknown.

You let someone shoot a weapon one time and think they can make up their mind from that one expirence
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Make her shoot the sig again.  She was just skiddish because she didn't know what to expect since it was her first time with that weapon/caliber.

Take her to the range a few times and have her shoot a lot, she will know the recoil and it will eliminate her fear of the unknown.

You let someone shoot a weapon one time and think they can make up their mind from that one expirence

I've had her out twice with the Sig and have invited her plenty of times.

Part of the problem as well is, we get sidled up to the line on a slow day at the range, and some guy walks in and sets up right next to us with a large caliber weapon... It's their right, I'm not begrudging them one bit... but it makes my wife not want to shoot.

I'm not going to "make" her do anything - if I do that I will also make her hate shooting. She needs positive experiences, not me being a jerk to her.

Believe me, I've tried everything to cajole her into going to the range with me. Asking, telling (nicely), providing examples of why she should learn to shoot (it isn't very ladylike to get raped and/or killed) so I've had her out a couple times.

What I really need is a good sized plot of land up North where I can take her and she can shoot legally and not indoors, with someone firing a .44mag or rifle 3' away... Someday.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top