Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here's one of my little sister Alia and her battle sword

Her eyes don't look blue.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a plain jane VA practical longsword...nuthin pretty, but it's three feet of razor sharp steel that'll get the job done
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]

The two M1840 NCO Swords I gave to my wife when she was promoted to First Sergeant.  The one on the left (with metal scabbard) was made by Emerson & Silver in 1863.  The one on the right was made by Ames in 1864.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who makes a quality wakizashi/samurai sword that has good modern steel that will take a beating? I'm not going to fight with it but something that you could take camping and cut up tree limbs for fun with.

Here ya go!

CAS Hanwei makes some decent stuff... But usually they're more than Cold Steel for equal quality... That one being so cheap worries me.

TR85.
Cold Steel swords feel like you are swinging a piece of rebar. Way too heavy for anything other than straight up cuts. If you could swing my Dynasty Forge Bushi next to a Cold Steel you would chuck the CS into the gutter. CS swords are for people whose technique comes from studying at the "wood cutting" school Seeing a tameshigiri demonstration by James Williams made me realize how much technique matters in cutting.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who makes a quality wakizashi/samurai sword that has good modern steel that will take a beating? I'm not going to fight with it but something that you could take camping and cut up tree limbs for fun with.

Here ya go!

Looks good and 5160 is a tough steel. The low price does make me wonder though. Wonder where these are made?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://lameycustomknives.com/Site/Cleavers,%20various%20blades_files/100_4105.jpg

Matt Lamey makes a mean blade too.  This one's mine.  It chops through 2X12s and is basically a 22 inch long handaxe.  From edge to spine it's almost 4".

It's not fast, but it's short and with just a tiny bit of momentum it cuts like a light saber.  I've pruned trees with it and you just "tap" where you want a cut.  Much better control than a machete since you don't have to work hard to cut stuff.

I had survival sheaths make me a crocodile dundee style (wear it like a backpack with the hilt down and to the right) sheath from kydex and it disappears under a 5:11 vest.

Man I keep coming back and checking out that Lamey, what did it run if you don't mind me asking? What was the turnaround time on that beast?

Took him a few months (lots of steel to bang on) and I think he's got a pretty good backlog cause of the way his hamons come out and his prices being reasonable.  Price was about a cheap M4gery.  There's a couple of fancier ones on his website in the same gallery, but I like the rustic look.  

It's on its way home from the desert right now, and I can't wait to get home and sign for it.  Got me a hog to roast, and somehow I think it's gonna get some use.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cold Steel swords feel like you are swinging a piece of rebar. Way too heavy for anything other than straight up cuts. If you could swing my Dynasty Forge Bushi next to a Cold Steel you would chuck the CS into the gutter. CS swords are for people whose technique comes from studying at the "wood cutting" school Seeing a tameshigiri demonstration by James Williams made me realize how much technique matters in cutting.  

Yes. A 3 pound rapier, for crying out loud ...
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. A 3 pound rapier, for crying out loud ...

Their machetes are better swords than their cutlasses are.  WAAAAY heavy on the steel and cheap on the construction.  The Machetes are thinner, lighter, shorter, and simpler.  They actually have a short double edged machete that's brutally tip heavy cause the tip is 4" wide, but it lops and it's light enough overall to be quick.  If I could get my money back for the pair of 1917 cutlasses I'd do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#11]
bump
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

www.chenessinc.com has quality swords.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I really wish I had a picture of my favorite sword.  I'ts a custom short double edged cruciform sword in differentially tempered damascus.  The hilt and scabbard are overly fancy but really cool.  They're both hand carved mammoth ivory in a pirate theme (skulls, treasure chests and compas rose themes) and are inset with small rubies and emeralds.  

I figured it for a wall hanger when I saw the artist's booth and mentioned it looked too ornate to use.  The guy said "Really?" and then lopped about a 1" deep divot out of the pine 6x6 pole holding his booth up.  

Sweet piece of artwork.  I wouldn't trust myself not to break off a quillon (mammoth ivory carved into a miniature femur) so I don't think it'll ever be a battle sword if I can avoid it.  It sure is quick and handy though.  The pob is about an 2 inches in front of the guard, so it's like a 25" flying razor.  Makes me smile every time I unsheath it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Now come on, you know ARFcom rules, pics, or you don't own it!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
<<<<
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Brought back from WWII by my uncle

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/BBoyd_photos/012.jpg

Nice, and from what island?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top