Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
lived in Seattle for many years (I'm a bit south now) , been to Portland many times...Seattle has more to do and see for people that are visiting..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oregon sucks, any state that has a law that you cannot pump your own gas

but, on a side note that can actually USE their suppressors.

Sir James...

no nfa in washington!,who cares about gas pumps.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up in the suburbs of both cities.  

As far as cities go, Seattle is a way better place to visit.  Go to the Experience Music Project (EMP) if you like music.  Pike's place of course. Space needle is WAY overrated, I'm sure you have been in taller buildings.  Definitely take a ferry to Orcas Island.

You should also go to the across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Galloping Gurdy) and then visit the Olympic Rainforest.  During the summer, the Northwest is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]

If you go to Portland, hit up one of the restaurants at Western Culinary Institute. Great food, very cheap.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a three hour drive or 45 minute flight between the two, hit 'em both.  Not as many homeless or street urchins in Portland.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go to Seattle, we're all assholes and everything sucks here.

Can't disagree with this...

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I moved here from the midwest in the mid 90's.  Portland and Seattle are both awesome ('cept for the politics and hipster douchebags)

It really depends on what srot of things you enjoy.

Portland has some nice things to do with the wife that are relaxing and mellow:

- The Zoo - very nice zoo, very well kept, can get crowded on really nice days and weekends

- The Japanese Gardens - One of the best in the WORLD (no kidding), it is beyond beautiful and a must see for anyone who appreciates that sort of thing

- Pioneer Place/Pioneer Square - "Portlands Living Room, lots of shops/stores both large and small.  An intresting place to spend the afternoon if you're into shopping and people watching...good restaurants in the area

- The Riverfront - Usually something going on every weekend...Bluesfest is a big deal, the brewers Fest, etc...probably some schedule online you can check out and see what's going on during your vacation

- Saturday Market - Quirky and fun, lots of crafts/foods...like an outdoor fair, except it's downtown...can be a great way to spend an afternoon..close to both the Riverfront and Pioneer Square...

Seattle has some fun and interesting things too...Pikes Place Market...Uwajimaya (a HUGE japanese store/deli/market), the space needle, etc.

I would probably pick Portland if it was me and the wife going to either place for the first time.

Have a great vacation!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The wife unit and I would like to take a trip to either Portland or Seattle later this year.  We haven't been to either city, so don't know which one we should choose.  Can anyone give some good ideas of what each city has to offer for tourists?

How long of a vacation are you looking to take and what's your budget?  If you're talking a week's vacation, in my opinion (I live near Portland and visit Seattle a lot for work), neither city is worth a week of vacation.  Can you do 10 days?

I'd recommend flying up to Seattle and finding 3 days worth of activities to do.  Rent a car
Drive south on I-5 and take a day to visit Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens.  You can do both in a day.  Stay at a hotel in Woodland on your way out and back to I-5S.
Drive to Portland the next day and spend 2-3 days here.  Is she a Twilight fan?  You can spend a day visiting some of the major movie sites.  
Spend a day/night at Mt Hood in Timberline Lodge.
Drive down to and see Crater Lake, Mt Bailey and Mt Thielsen.  Spend the night at the lodge near Diamond Lake.
Drive to Eugene and fly back to California.

You could extend your stay a couple of extra days and visit the OR coast.  Florence, Lincoln City, Cannon Beach, Seaside, etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to Seattle this month.  Feel free to list stuff we should do.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello folks...

This is ARFCOM

Get both....

30min by plane
3 hours car
4 hours train...

But if you only have one Seattle had Portland beat The people in Oregon are not right... and they drive worst than any in California or BC Canada
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hello folks...

This is ARFCOM

Get both....

30min by plane
3 hours car
4 hours train...

But if you only have one Seattle had Portland beat The people in Oregon are not right... and they drive worst than any in California or BC Canada

But not as bad as Washingtonians....

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Portland is a fun town, if you go I suggest you look into staying at a McMenamin's property.  Great hotels with their own beers, whiskies, cigar bars, etc.  http://www.mcmenamins.com/.  A great side trip would be to Mt Hood and the Timberline lodge, they provided the exterior for the movie The Shining, http://www.timberlinelodge.com/visit/.

In Seattle there's a lot besides the Space Needle, I wouldn't waste my time there.  Lots of great seafood, neighborhood joints, etc.  There's a lot to do outside the city as well depending on your interests.  Too many day trips to list here.  However Dungeness Spit stands out for great seafood at Three Crabs and the spit that runs alongside the Straitsof Juan de Fuca, it's located by the town of Sequim (say "skwim") great weather, great hikes and small inns.   Your best bet for weather will be anytime before late September.  

I don't know if you're flying or driving but the Amtrak between Seattle and Portland is great!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
For a place to live, Portland. For a place to visit, Seattle although I wouldn't be disappointed by either. I lived in Portland for 5 years and traveled the northwest extensively. If it's a week long vacation, you'll bore of either after a few days and stare at those not so far off mountains and islands. I would strongly recommend planning day or overnight trips out of the city. Mt Rainier, The Olympics, ferry boat hoping to the San Juan or Orcas islands. Vancouver, BC is an easy drive and is pretty cool. Victoria BC on Vancouver Island is spectacular. Do some research. Be prepared for all kinds of weather, heat to cold to rain.

Except for the libtards, it's one of the most beautiful parts of America.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I enjoyed both, but I'd much rather pass through Seattle on my way to Victoria/Vancouver.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top