User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Make the loans dischargeable in bankruptcy.

This. And get the government out of the loan business.

That.

Student loans and grants are subsidies.  Like all subsidies, they distort the market.

It's the reason why tuition is so high. Most don't realize that the reason so many depend on subsidized loans is because of subsidized loans that have inflated "free shit" colleges get(and they get A LOT).

Sadly, I don't see colleges decreasing tuition to realistic levels if we got rid of it. Instead, there will be a large gap of empty seats in colleges throughout the country if it happened. Colleges will either decrease tuition or only the privileged will get to go. Knowing educational institutions, the latter will occur along with hefty grants(bailouts) to the school to make up for shortages.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but agreeing to a 'loan' means you will 'pay it back'.

That's so 20th century.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I had people call me a chump because I used the proceeds from a house sale to pay off debts from a business that went North.

FYI...you're correct...and I agree with you 100%.

CVN

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
To those that ant student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, if that passes there will be no more student loans.  Even before the .gov intervened and really fucked it up when banks still vetted your degree there was a huge issue with how easy it was for a student to declare bankruptcy since they have virtually no assets or income.  Not saying the law shouldn't be changed just making sure you are aware of the consequences.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.  I paid mine back by age 30.

I did without fun things to pay mine back early too.   If they just drop people loans I'm gonna be pissed.  

I do without fun things and sold off most of what I did have to make due. AND I have my veteran's benefits. I know what you're saying and I see a lot of students with smartphones, designer clothes, macbooks, and brand new cars. But that's not every student.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I paid mine back, still owe a little but I'm almost caught up. I busted my ass. They better not let those shits off without having to learn responsibility.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

To those that ant student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, if that passes there will be no more student loans. Even before the .gov intervened and really fucked it up when banks still vetted your degree there was a huge issue with how easy it was for a student to declare bankruptcy since they have virtually no assets or income. Not saying the law shouldn't be changed just making sure you are aware of the consequences.

Not quite.  There will still be student loans, but they will be pegged to reality and the expectation the student will be able to pay them off –– just like almost any other non-subsidized loan.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That.

Student loans and grants are subsidies.  Like all subsidies, they distort the market.

It's the reason why tuition is so high. Most don't realize that the reason so many depend on subsidized loans is because of subsidized loans that have inflated "free shit" colleges get(and they get A LOT).

Sadly, I don't see colleges decreasing tuition to realistic levels if we got rid of it. Instead, there will be a large gap of empty seats in colleges throughout the country if it happened. Colleges will either decrease tuition or only the privileged will get to go. Knowing educational institutions, the latter will occur along with hefty grants(bailouts) to the school to make up for shortages.

I am surprised that the FSA or Occupy wallstreet groups has not marched into Washington and demanded tuition caps or free education from all colleges. Seriously...if they make the argument that a living wage is a right, I'm surprised they haven't made the jump that higher education is a "right" as well.

Betcha a lot of liberal college professors become slight more "capitalistic" when its their pocketbook being affected.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No.

But they should push for legalization of MJ and rip a few other plank platforms out from under the D party.

Correct.  They should also walk away from the abortion issue, and let the decision be between women, their doctor, and their god.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#10]
That would present a HUGE moral hazard. If students get their debt forgiven, how about people who are underwater on their mortgages, how about people who went into debt to start a business... It's not fair for the people who paid theirs back, should they then receive a govt check to make it Fair?

The solution is to stop the govt from ensuring these loans and to destroy the mentality that if you don't go to college you have no future. College is not for everyone and when everyone goes to college the prices go through the roof. College is basically in a bubble stage like housing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To those that ant student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, if that passes there will be no more student loans.  Even before the .gov intervened and really fucked it up when banks still vetted your degree there was a huge issue with how easy it was for a student to declare bankruptcy since they have virtually no assets or income.  Not saying the law shouldn't be changed just making sure you are aware of the consequences.

Don't worry, there are enough liberal arts and gender studies majors out there to counteract any of us who actually go for a career-oriented degree, You think we can get money back from a Starbuck's barista?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did without fun things to pay mine back early too.   If they just drop people loans I'm gonna be pissed.  

I do without fun things and sold off most of what I did have to make due. AND I have my veteran's benefits. I know what you're saying and I see a lot of students with smartphones, designer clothes, macbooks, and brand new cars. But that's not every student.

I did without alot of fun things to not need to borrow much in the first place either. Had friends take out student loans to cover spring break costs.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Does the GOP have that much money to blow?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Call me a pessimist, but I don't think it will matter what the GOP does. We are seeing the conservative political party platform die a slow death.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#15]
18-35.  18-39 is just too generous.  Compromises like that will get us elected again.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That.

I am surprised that the FSA or Occupy wallstreet groups has not marched into Washington and demanded tuition caps or free education from all colleges. Seriously...if they make the argument that a living wage is a right, I'm surprised they haven't made the jump that higher education is a "right" as well.

Betcha a lot of liberal college professors become slight more "capitalistic" when its their pocketbook being affected.  

Yeah. If corporations can make huge concessions, why not colleges? Maybe we can get salary caps on college administrators, professors(no offense, DK-Prof), and coaching staff.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hell no.

HELL NO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Any other loan you can be discharged out of in bankruptcy.

Not so with student loans.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did without alot of fun things to not need to borrow much in the first place either. Had friends take out student loans to cover spring break costs.

I know that I could have been smarter and went to a cheaper school. I bought into the myth that state colleges were inherently better than community colleges. I sure got a rude awakening from that. Oh well, too late to worry about that now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The way to get the youth vote is simple and doesn't cost anything.

Act like libertarians.  You'll pull young voters on all the freedom items.  That's how you'll turn the shrinking proportion of the country that understands the basics of economics into a majority.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
To those that ant student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, if that passes there will be no more student loans. Even before the .gov intervened and really fucked it up when banks still vetted your degree there was a huge issue with how easy it was for a student to declare bankruptcy since they have virtually no assets or income. Not saying the law shouldn't be changed just making sure you are aware of the consequences.

Not quite.  There will still be student loans, but they will be pegged to reality and the expectation the student will be able to pay them off –– just like almost any other non-subsidized loan.

No, banks will only allow collateralized loans for students if they can be discharged or will require an employer sponsor guarantee.  Read about the history of student loans and you will see why they were made non-dischargeable in bankruptcy.  I am not a fan of student loans myself accept for hard sciences/engineering, etc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No and who the fuck is going to pay for it?  Are the banks going to "do the right thing" and just take it out of their "evil profits?"

This.

Fuck that! I paid for my school... I'm FAR from rich.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Speaking as someone currently attending school by using student loans, I say no. I know I am borrowing money and that as an honorable man, I am to pay that back.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes. And all mortgages too. Let's get it on GOP. If you need to move left to win, then go all the fucking way...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
How about the middle income parents who took out parent loans
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#26]
No. And I have 150k they could "forgive."

They wouldn't forgive it. The federal government would pay it for us, which means everyone would pay it off.

I'm for tightening the admission standards for school and student loans. Not everyone needs to go to collage. Tell kids they do is a disservice and makes non-college trades seem inferior. Playing hacky sack in junior collage for 3 years is not part of growing up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#27]
FUCK NO!  My wife and I worked our asses off to pay off her student loans.  We went out to dinner once a month, no movie theatres, no expensive trips, just the bare minimum and we paid off $50K in student loans by our 2 year wedding anniversary.  If they got the debt, they can pay it back!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck no!  I worked my ass off and finished with a small enough debt that I paid it off in two years.  I know plenty who fucked around and owe $100k+.  Dont reward them for that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep. Do that and the lenders have to start getting serious about who they loan to.

edit: I'm 37, still owe ~$15k in student loans, and NO they should not forgive them.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#30]
fuck no.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm on track to graduate without taking a single loan.  If others don't have the minimal intelligence required to financially plan this sort of thing in advance, let them live in poverty.

Does your grad school cost 60k a year?

Dick.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Well sh*t, raise the age limit and let me stack up the student loan fees.  Hookers 'n blow!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#33]
What about the people who had the sound judgement to pay as they went?  Give them the shaft and pay off people's $200k student loans?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Hell no!  These are the ones who voted for O.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite. There will still be student loans, but they will be pegged to reality and the expectation the student will be able to pay them off –– just like almost any other non-subsidized loan.

No, banks will only allow collateralized loans for students if they can be discharged or will require an employer sponsor guarantee. Read about the history of student loans and you will see why they were made non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. I am not a fan of student loans myself accept for hard sciences/engineering, etc.

Um, that's not significantly different from what I said:  Loans will be made based on realistic factors, not fluffy statements about "dreams" or "potential".

Incidentally, this would also have the effect of forcing universities to pay their grad students real money if they want to keep them instead of letting the government pay for them.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife and I both worked our way through undergraduate degrees. Both worked our way through Master degrees. Two of our kids worked their way through and paid back their students loans. Our son attended on the GI bill. Why wouldn't we want to give some more of our hard earned income to pay off some lazy goofs that want to compete for our jobs but not pay for their education? It's a crazy, mixed up world we live in, Captain Jack. Sounds like another division of the FSA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Searching the poll, I am not seeing the Fuck No option.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Unfortunately a "FUCK NO!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!" option is not available.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Stupid threads should be canceled.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Like it fucking matters.  Math has been overruled by the media and the .gov

TXL
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Hell no
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Poll coming

idiotic idea

unless tied to a promotion

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Hell yeah!  I want my free shit I can actually use.

Not cellphones and cheese.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]
If it started raining money on me, I'd be happier than a pig in shit. But it is never okay to expect or feel entitled to someone else's money raining on you.

People don't seem to get that wanting something doesn't mean that what you want is fair or right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Whatever happens, just give me notice, so I know whether to enroll in my local community college and start taking out max loans again.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Why not?  A few more bullet holes in the Titanic won't even be noticed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does your grad school cost 60k a year?

Dick.

Do you not agree that people should be responsible enough with their finances to not require a taxpayer-funded bailout to be able to repay their debts?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#50]
They should not.

Will they?  It's a possibility.  Republicans think up anti-constitutional things all the time.  See:  Romneycare.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top