Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#1]
From a legal perspective good shoot, really feel bad that the officers had to do that (as in killing a human being justified or not will take a toll on them), but the guy made his choice.  More than likely they were hamstrung by a lack of less lethal options (i.e. Bean bag/Flexible baton rounds).

ETA: You would never find me advocating a Tazer in that situation.  Have to get too close to stabby mcstabberson there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#2]
i go ham on jive turkeys
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I would have shot him too if he told me to Go Meat!
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the shots while he was on the ground were excessive.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
lmfao 46 shots
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
An example of pack mentality. One cop opens fire on the perp, and all the robots go into auto-default..... 46 times.

I'm usually an advocate for cops to be able to do their jobs without having to concern themselves with PC. Neither do I care much about the rights of perps that rape, kill, and rob my fellow citizens. But this is brainless department programming gone wild. There was enough time to subdue him via other means. But they stand their, surround him, taunt him to react, and them shoot him when he does?  You mean 6 cops standing around couldn't use other means to bring him down without shooting him dead?   Yea, I know.....pefect texbook procedure and sombody there will get honoraty mention on their transcript for a job well done.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Why couldn't they just shoot him in the leg...
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Because 47 shots would be considered too excessive..

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
46 shots

was it too many or not enough?

9mm? Shoot a handicap man 46 times for turning and trying to leave the scene of well whatever crime scene that was.

are we reading the same article?

Why what am i missing here amigo? I didn't read the arrticle just watched the fucked up video.

man does not drop knife.....flees officers....gets shot till he drops knife...
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An example of pack mentality. One cop opens fire on the perp, and all the robots go into auto-default..... 46 times.

I'm usually an advocate for cops to be able to do their jobs without having to concern themselves with PC. Neither do I care much about the rights of perps that rape, kill, and rob my fellow citizens. But this is brainless department programming gone wild. There was enough time to subdue him via other means. But they stand their, surround him, taunt him to react, and them shoot him when he does?  You mean 6 cops standing around couldn't use other means to bring him down without shooting him dead?   Yea, I know.....pefect texbook procedure and sombody there will get honoraty mention on their transcript for a job well done.

Okay then, tell me "what other means" you would use to subdue a violent crazy man with a knife.  Does it involve unicorns?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Somewhere on YouTube there is a clip of an IMI Negev being tested in the snow and they dump over 1100 rounds through it in one burst. I need to find that video now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

By all means, sign up for the job, then show us all how to subdue someone armed with a knife and let us know how that works out for you.

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay then, tell me "what other means" you would use to subdue a violent crazy man with a knife.  Does it involve unicorns?

Run him over with the squad car?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never understood people's preoccupation with the number of shots fired. If there was reason to shoot him once, there's reason to do a mag dump. It doesn't matter.

Agree, generally.

However, in this vid, he appeared to be moving away from police when the firing started. And, they continued to shoot when he was on the ground. If he'd had a gun, I could understand continuing. He had a knife and was then immobile and there was no need to continue to fire.

If a civilian had continued to fire into a person who was on the ground, possessing only a knife, they would be in deep shit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow

..and he dropped

And they stopped shooting.

Soo.... whats wrong?

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I should add, "without killing him"

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Where was the taunting?

And what other means are you thinking of?

Remember, the "other means" actually has to be at the scene.

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How you gonna "subdue" someone who has a knife? What training do you have? Have you seen the other videos where the perp has a knife and manages to kill several people? How is pointing a gun and saying "Drop the knife" taunting? If you were one of the six, would you volunteer to be the one who gets the knife in the subclavian artery?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Paranoid black man, wasn't there and can't see what he was moving towards, but I have a few ideas how that might have been de-escalated. Guy probably was assuming they were going to beat, shoot or sic the dog on him even if he surrendered.

Let's just say if I were there, not sure I would have been one of the cops pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless the car has some room to pick up speed, thats not going to do much.

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Paranoid black man, wasn't there and can't see what he was moving towards, but I have a few ideas how that might have been de-escalated. Guy probably was assuming they were going to beat, shoot or sic the dog on him even if he surrendered.

Let's just say if I were there, not sure I would have been one of the cops pulling the trigger.

Oaky, let's hear these "few ideas"
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's my take on it.

Homeboy should have dropped the knife when told.  That's it.

I can almost guarantee he would be alive today if he had simply dropped the knife and complied.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Meh, one less loudmouthed aggressive panhandler in Saginaw.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#24]
He was making a move.  They had to get it on.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"Sergeant PlaneJane, why did the men under your direction fire 46 times at this man?"

"Because they ran out of ammunition?"

Long live Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd. That's what he said when his deputies shot a cop killer (guy killed a K9 deputy and his partner) 68 times.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a few...

Although I don't have a problem with LE shooting people who are armed and refuse to comply.

Back in the olden days people with "mental problems" were institutionalized but the modern highly educated progressives fixed that problem back in the 1960's - 1970's...

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Some comments here about how "I would have done it differently," but no one seems to have any good explanation how.  Wonder why that is...
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some comments here about how "I would have done it differently," but no one seems to have any good explanation how.  Wonder why that is...

I would have shot the fucker in the face, once, maybe twice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never understood people's preoccupation with the number of shots fired. If there was reason to shoot him once, there's reason to do a mag dump. It doesn't matter.

had a guy pull a gun on an officers...

officer shoots the guy in the head once killing him...

people were not mad because he killed the guy but because it was a head shot...said he could have shot him in the heart as it was more humane..

golden rope and all that..

A few years ago a guy got on a plane, said he had a bomb strapped on. Somehow he gets off the plane and is standing on the tarmac up by the nose of the plane. Threatens to detonate it.

Security drops him. As I live and breath, Katie Couric asked if they couldn't have just "winged him", shot him in the arm.

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a few...

Although I don't have a problem with LE shooting people who are armed and refuse to comply.

Back in the olden days people with "mental problems" were institutionalized but the modern highly educated progressives fixed that problem back in the 1960's - 1970's...

Do you realize one of those ways you are suggesting involves a fall out of a three story window?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#31]
That was dumb as hell. A skilled officer might have been able to talk him down, instead of screaming at him. Verbal judo people...
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Verbal judo people...

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#33]
That looked like an execution by a Mexican firing squad.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That was dumb as hell. A skilled officer might have been able to talk him down, instead of screaming at him. Verbal judo people...

Verbal judo is for sane people. The insane need a different kind of discussion.

40mm is a better solution.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When someone is emotional and upset, sticking a gun in their face and yelling at them is the exact opposite of de-escalating the situation. Pretend to empathize, act like you care what they're talking about. Tell them why they need to do what you're asking them to do. Bouncers are the masters of conflict de-escalation. I've never seen a bouncer whip out a weapon and start screaming at someone, have you?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

planning on taking out the whole hood?

nice!

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When someone is emotional and upset, sticking a gun in their face and yelling at them is the exact opposite of de-escalating the situation. Pretend to empathize, act like you care what they're talking about. Tell them why they need to do what you're asking them to do. Bouncers are the masters of conflict de-escalation. I've never seen a bouncer whip out a weapon and start screaming at someone, have you?

I dunno, if I was being an asshole and threatening people, I'm pretty sure that sticking a gun in my face would make me immediately much more cooperative.  Then again, I'm not batshit crazy.

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bouncers have to do their job with out immunity.  If you are a bar/strip club bouncer and you kill some one you are prolly going to jail. Cops... they get paid leave till it blows over.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would anyone need a magazine with more than 10 rounds?

Those high/normal-cap magazines held about two years worth of range practice apparently!

Why would anyone practice a skill needed to save one's life to the point where they can put bullets into the center of mass from a reasonable distance under stressful conditions?

(hint: because your life might depend on it?)

I am always amazed when I see how poorly some folks are able to shoot.

Unfortunately 2:10 is about as well as trained cops and soldiers shoot under stress. Only about 4% of cops practise off the clock. Even less seek out additional training other than that provided by their employer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Waiting for video of Kilroy putting his gun away, then walking up and quietly engaging the knife swinging, agitated maniac in conversation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The chief is not doing himself any favors

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/16/tonight-on-ac360-police-accused-of-shooting-30-bullets-at-homeless-man/?iref=allsearch

Did he really give an interview dressed like that?

That video was not "graphic" as those reporters keep saying, unless those reporters think that the American public cannot stand the sound of gunfire and the sight of someone falling down

edit:

Whats wrong with the Chiefs clothing? is he supposed to wear a uniform 24/7? The camera crew may have caught him in an off-duty moment while seeking a comment on camera.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bouncers are the masters of conflict de-escalation. I've never seen a bouncer whip out a weapon and start screaming at someone, have you?

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
46 shots

How amny cops on scene? how many fired their weapons.

Cops used to be trained to fire doubletabs. Fire two rounds and assess. Turns out two is rarely enough to stop the threat. So now they are trying really hard to deprogram the doubletap response. instead its fire 5-7 rounds and assess AKA the NSR, aka Non-Standard-Response. which is an ironic name as its becomming standard response.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
46 shots

How amny cops on scene? how many fired their weapons.

Cops used to be trained to fire doubletabs. Fire two rounds and assess. Turns out two is rarely enough to stop the threat. So now they are trying really hard to deprogram the doubletap response. instead its fire 5-7 rounds and assess AKA the NSR, aka Non-Standard-Response. which is an ironic name as its becomming standard response.

Good point here.  Training to do double taps and then assess is a good way to get yourself hurt if the first two shots don't stop the threat.  You can easily end up with a guy with two bullet holes in him stabbing the shit out of you while you're "assessing".

Keep shooting until the threat has ended.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]
How long did the shots take to fire? 2-3 seconds.  By the time you decide to fire on someone and then your brain registers that you are making hits that are effective and you can now stop shooting you can very easily empty a magazine.  

You shoot to stop a threat.  When you have neutralized that threat, then you can stop shooting.  

People with mental issues do not always make good decisions and it can cost them their life.  Sorry folks but that's how things are.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How long did the shots take to fire? 2-3 seconds.  By the time you decide to fire on someone and then your brain registers that you are making hits that are effective and you can now stop shooting you can very easily empty a magazine.  

You shoot to stop a threat.  When you have neutralized that threat, then you can stop shooting.  

People with mental issues do not always make good decisions and it can cost them their life.  Sorry folks but that's how things are.

Stop talking sense on a Friday night. Some of these guys are probably already hitting the bottle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I counted about 8 too many.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I counted about 8 too many.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#50]
If they knew he was a nut job, call in animal control to dart gun him and put him to sleep. In the video, the nut case did not appear to be threating the officers.

I was not there so I dont know everything in the situation.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top