BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

These folks are just taking the motto "Taking A Bite Out of Crime" too literally.

About two-thirds of American adults are overweight, and a third qualify as obese, according to federal health statistics. The numbers are even worse for law-enforcement officials, according to a 2003 survey published by the FBI; it ranked 80 percent of the respondents as overweight or obese.

http://www.designirvine.com/blogfiles/fat3.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/news/pounds-167610-lose-april.html

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was at a stop light in Richardson yesterday and looked over to see a police officer writing a guy a ticket. Now I know that you can have a little leeway but when you look like Sherman Clump (the officer must have weighed at least 300 pounds)

It's a lil ridiculous. I got flashbacks to the first episode of cops with the crackhead out in front and the out of breath officer saying "stop or I will shoot you!"

Do most depts even hav e a weight limit?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

300 pounds, you say?   That's skinny compared to some of the cops I've seen in the midwest.

We had one in my hometown in Iowa that was so fat, he could not fit into the standard Crown Vic (which is a huge car!)  He must have been pushing 400 pounds.   They had to give him a Suburban to drive around town with.   One of these days, I'll snap a picture of him when I'm visiting the family and post it in GD.  

On the other hand, I have only run into one mildly chubby Iowa State Trooper... I remember he got me for speeding once. With the red hair, freckles, and fat face, I wound up laughing at him after accusing me of hiding illegal immigrants and bombs in the trunk of my car, because I wouldn't let him search it.  The rest of the Iowa and Illinois State Police I've seen are in excellent shape.   I bet they have standards.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Cops that actually patrol should all have some standards. Like how most Infantry units have higher PT standards than REMFs.

Besides that, have some fucking professional pride! You are a cop dammit!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Union employees can get as fat as they want...

I keep forgetting that union members can never get fired.

Or that your union just sucks. Not mutually exclusive propositions.

I'm glad the ones who get fired from my department get booted. I don't want them next to me with a gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He should be ashamed of himself.  

He looks fat.  Why should he be ashamed of himself?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Sadly many departments don't have a standard physical fitness they have to maintain. I know one the departments where I used to live had a cop that weighed at least 450-500lbs and about 6ft tall, they had to buy him a SUV because he no longer fit in the car. Even in the SUV he was so fat that he would destroy the seat, and the armrest, and door panel from his fat rubbing against it with in about a year. It was down right sick. He had a person escape out of his truck once handcuffed and he couldn't catch him, he ran about 20-30ft after the guy before he had to stop and catch his breath. The local cops never let him live that one down. Sadly he was a really nice guy, and his wife was hot, they got married about 4 years earlier at that time he only weighed about 285lbs. But then once he got married he really started packing on the weight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Page 2 and the resident "Why the fuck does a cop have to be in shape?" folk haven't came?

Most of the NC SHP guys I see are like 23 and look like they could bench a car. Not sure what the fuck they feed those guys but it's working.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Locally here in CENTEX departments have a agility/PT test to get hired, but not for retention.  

Killeen PD officers fought it hard and won.

TDCJ actually has a test to get into the academy, and an annual one at in service.  It's a joke,
but at least there is one in place....and the officers that are coming in are overall in a great deal better
shape than when I came though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Even in the SUV he was so fat that he would destroy the seat....

The fat cop I mentioned earlier used to break the seat in all the Caprices we had.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's one of those things. Everyone takes notice of the fat bastard stuffed into an XXXXL uniform but no one gives much thought about the guy build like a professional athlete. Most of the cops I have run into look like they could handle themselves. Maybe not track stars but they looked like they could drag someone into a patrol car and haul them off to jail.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it's one of those things. Everyone takes notice of the fat bastard stuffed into an XXXXL uniform but no one gives much thought about the guy build like a professional athlete. Most of the cops I have run into look like they could handle themselves. Maybe not track stars but they looked like they could drag someone into a patrol car and haul them off to jail.

I wouldn't want to scuffle with 95% of our officers.  And I know how many people it takes to throw our police chief into a drop tank.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

guy might be a desk guy on some special detail

I don't think his arms are long enough to function sitting at a desk.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Because he is morbidly obese and in a position where he is supposed to help people/stop bad guys etc... Waste of oxygen/paycheck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thankfully I work with guys that eat right and use the gym.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Because he is morbidly obese and in a position where he is supposed to help people/stop bad guys etc... Waste of oxygen/paycheck.

zip...are you a fat cop? honest question
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#16]
While Ohio sets physical standards for applicants, very few departments in my area have a standard that one must maintain.  My dept. has brought up the idea of a fitness test as an elective, incentive-based program, but hasn't come close to implementing it.  SWAT members do get tested biannually, however.  The test consists of a timed run, BP, weighted pullups, situps, and an obstacle course.  In the meantime, patrol has quite a few guys who have to force themselves into their vehicles.  I would like to see something implemented, but all of the politics have prevented it.  I am not saying that fat guys have no business being cops, or should be punished, but I think it would be beneficial to at least give people some incentive to not be morbidly obese.  Actually, I would like to see the requirements for application tightened up a bit, too, but that would limit diversity hires.

Oddly, there are a couple of fat fucks who have some serious wheels on them, and a couple of fitness-model wannabes who never seem to catch anyone.  Of course, nine out of ten times, the chase isn't worth it, as the guys who run usually do so for the most trivial of offenses.  But, I digress.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#17]
There are a few reasons why most departments don't have physical standards once an officer is hired.

1) Unions lobby hard to prevent PT tests –– job security.
2) Management does not want the Worker Comp and Disability Pensions from 'injuries' during these PT tests.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a member of a law enforcement agency, however I scuba dived for several decades in less than ideal conditions.  I made certain I was a safe, fit, diver; not just for my sake but for the sake of my partners.  They felt the same way.  
Can't see myself in that condition while considering myself an "asset" to the team.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2) Management does not want the Worker Comp and Disability Pensions from 'injuries' during these PT tests.

Thats probably accurate right there.......
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#20]
San Francisco PD did away with pre-employment PT test a few years ago.  Some fatbody sued, claiming that it was unfair to expect potential hires to perform physical tasks before they went through academy training. . The most difficult thing on the SFPD test was getting over a 3ft obstacle.  Don't know if they brought any of it back.

Place where I work now has a PT test before the academy, and several PT tests while in training, but no real standards after you're on the street, aside from the manual stating that you need to be in good shape.  They try to keep the guys in patrol slim enough, but there are only so many desk jobs to be filled by hippos.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#21]

What exactly is going on here? I just can't really figure out...I don't even....I mean...Just uh....Fuck

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]

there is a reserve deputy around these parts that looks like that, except he's under the age of 30.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top