User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I don't see the problem here, he gave the nurse an order and she didn't obey it. He was in the process of investigating a crime. The nurse was obviously obstructing justice, not to mention in flagrant violation of contempt of cop.

Some of you guys have some serious priority issues to deal with. That cop is out there risking his life every day, and that nurse does nothing but sit around an emergency room eating Twinkies and helping out criminals. The whole hospital should have been arrested for disorderly conduct.

Nurses don't eat twinkles, they steal all the snacks out of the EMS room

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Screw the Effing union. She has a false arrest civil claim on her side. Nothing the unions can do about that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't see the problem here, he gave the nurse an order and she didn't obey it. He was in the process of investigating a crime. The nurse was obviously obstructing justice, not to mention in flagrant violation of contempt of cop.

Some of you guys have some serious priority issues to deal with. That cop is out there risking his life every day, and that nurse does nothing but sit around an emergency room eating Twinkies and helping out criminals. The whole hospital should have been arrested for disorderly conduct.

Any stuffed dogs in the gift shop need some new holes too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im not about to jump into the anti LEO battle thats coming. However, for any profession, what the fuck is the point of being suspended WITH

In a case like this, suspended with pay means you use vacation or sick time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#8]
A police union? In North Carolina?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Screw the Effing union. She has a false arrest civil claim on her side. Nothing the unions can do about that.

Once again.

How do you know he was in a union?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#10]
my wife is an ER nurse and says this kind of thing happens all the time. the police come in and try and run the show and tell them what to do and how to do it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The whole issue of blood draws on drunks has been an issue for years.
There have always been ER staff who objected to doing blood draws for whatever reasons.
They always had us over a barrel because LEOs needed people who were trained/ certified in bllod draws to actually get the blood
Some states have responded by starting to certify LEOs to draw blood for DWI cases, IIRC
I would think that this issue is nothing new and every hospital should have had a policy in place years ago on how they would do blood draws for LEOs

Comes up in our ED from time to time.
It may or may not be interesting to hear what happened.
It's not as simple as hospital policies. We are also dealing with state and federal laws concerning patients.
It's far from as simple as it seems to someone outside of the medical/legal syatem. Pick a more fucked up combination assholes  to deal with there and you win the internets. (nurse included with the police and Monday morning quarterback .gov/risk management/lawyers/ect.)
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Selma police officer Travis Abbott

Actually, I would go with the following possible North Carolina charge and he also lacks Qualified Immunity because his actions were not part of official law enforcement policy.

Qualified immunity is a defense that protects an officer from personal liability for civil damages as long as his conduct does not violate a clearly established statutory or constitutional right.

2005 North Carolina Code - General Statutes Article 10 - Kidnapping and Abduction.

§ 14‑39. Kidnapping.

(a) Any person who shall unlawfully confine, restrain, or remove from one place to another, any other person 16 years of age or over without the consent of such person, or any other person under the age of 16 years without the consent of a parent or legal custodian of such person, shall be guilty of kidnapping if such confinement, restraint or removal is for the purpose of:

(4)Holding such other person in involuntary servitude in violation of G.S. 14‑43.2.

14-43.3. Felonious restraint

A person commits the offense of felonious restraint if he unlawfully restrains another person without that person's consent, or the consent of the person's parent or legal custodian if the person is less than 16 years old, and moves the person from the place of the initial restraint by transporting him in a motor vehicle or other conveyance. Violation of this section is a Class F felony. Felonious restraint is considered a lesser included offense of kidnapping.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Some replies to the article:

Well hopefully the message that was sent from the Dept. will get through the thick heads of those nurses. He didn't need a warrant, he had badge, that IS a warrant to break any law or violate anybody's rights. Why would anyone go through all the training to be a cop if once you make the dept you have to obey laws like a common citizen, that's stupid. So the dept. sent a clear message to the nurses: His punishment: paid vacation on us. To young kids coming up, pay attention If you try and live the life of an off duty cop WITHOUT A BADGE, A felony pass you will just waste your productive years going in and out of jail your whole life.

and..

this is why you have the right to resist an unlawful arrest with lethal force. enough cops die breaking the law, maybe they will stop breaking the law.

I've said it for a few years nows, there has been a polar shift in law enforcement over the last 7-8 years. It's all about attitude now and no longer about duty for the majority of officers. Authority is assumed and acted upon regardless of what the law says. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive at best. This is amplified by "cover" provided by spineless judges who will interpret having the "you WILL respect my authoritah" attitude as "acting in good faith". That's why I chuckle a little when I see posts on here about people believing the majority of police wouldn't follow unlawful orders. Again, naive at best.

I.C.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I can request a voluntary sample of your breath or BLOOD and if you consent i can take you down to the hospital and they will take two vials for me no questions asked.

Also, if you were in a wreck, look dangerously intoxicated, ect when you get submitted at the hospital i can nudge the doctor and tell him that he might want to think about drawing his own blood labs for medical reasons, then give him a wink and a smile and get a grand jury subpeona later for the results.

Also, if you have a certain number of prior convictions, injured or killed someone in your wreck, ect i can do a mandatory warantless blood draw. Also, ill tell you straight up that you can refuse all you want but i WILL get a warrant for your blood. I have the cell number of 2 assistant district attorneys on speed dial. I will request a specimen on the side of the road and if you refuse we drive straight to the hospital and i call to have the warrant affadavit  drawn up and faxed to the hospital for me to sign. Then i fax it to the judge, he signs it and faxes it back to me and i tell the nurse to stick you.

If you resist, I'll strap and handcuff you to the bed like an animal, have 15 orderlies, security guards and whoever wants to play come sit on your chest so the nurse can find a vein or hunt for one for as ling as she pleases.

Dont want to get treated like a criminal and have your body probed by needles?

Dont drink and drive.

Ive seen more people killed and injured by DWI's than every other crime combined. If i had my way, it would be legal for me to take a jugular vein blood draw from the side of the road through your window.

Dont get me wrong, im the biggest supporter of your constitutional rights thats ever worn a badge, but dont go looking for an easy loophole or sympathy from me if you're a drunk driver.

Also, i should add that im not new to DWI's and dont screw them up often. I did two blood draw search warrants last week and 3 DWI arrests total. I wont arrest you without probable cause, and you wont get your case thrown out for a lack of probable cause at the probable cause hearing like this guy did.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can request a voluntary sample of your breath or BLOOD and if you consent i can take you down to the hospital and they will take two vials for me no questions asked.

Also, if you were in a wreck, look dangerously intoxicated, ect when you get submitted at the hospital i can nudge the doctor and tell him that he might want to think about drawing his own blood labs for medical reasons, then give him a wink and a smile and get a grand jury subpeona later for the results.

Also, if you have a certain number of prior convictions, injured or killed someone in your wreck, ect i can do a mandatory warantless blood draw. Also, ill tell you straight up that you can refuse all you want but i WILL get a warrant for your blood. I have the cell number of 2 assistant district attorneys on speed dial. I will request a specimen on the side of the road and if you refuse we drive straight to the hospital and i call to have the warrant affadavit  drawn up and faxed to the hospital for me to sign. Then i fax it to the judge, he signs it and faxes it back to me and i tell the nurse to stick you.

If you resist, I'll strap and handcuff you to the bed like an animal, have 15 orderlies, security guards and whoever wants to play come sit on your chest so the nurse can find a vein or hunt for one for as ling as she pleases.

Dont drink and drive.

Ive seen more people killed and injured by DWI's than every other crime combined. If i had my way, it would be legal for me to take a jugular vein blood draw from the side of the road through your window.

Dont get me wrong, im the biggest supporter of your constitutional rights thats ever worn a badge, but dont go looking for an easy loophole or sympathy from me if you're a drunk driver.

Sounds like you read the manual.  Sounds like the cop in the OP didn't.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Good policework.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

Of course you can discern a diabetic from a drunk by sight alone...

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im not about to jump into the anti LEO battle thats coming. However, for any profession, what the fuck is the point of being suspended WITH pay???

That's the blue liner way of giving a buddy a vacation.

Because generally, you are suspended with pay until a hearing, at which point you will be suspended without pay if that is found to be appropriate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

Also, i should add that im not new to DWI's and dont screw them up often. I did two blood draw search warrants last week and 3 DWI arrests total. I wont arrest you without probable cause, and you wont get your case thrown out for a lack of probable cause at the probable cause hearing like this guy did.

<Removed - T7> he arrested the NURSE for wanting to see a warrant not the suspect.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

I agree with you 100% percent. However, it's a two way street.

Police unions advise officers to refuse to be tested for drugs and alcohol. So the sanctimonious speeches kind of ring hollow.

Why do some cops refuse the blood-alcohol test?

In recent years, law enforcement officials around the region have refused blood-alcohol tests when stopped for suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

When Albany police Officer Brian Lutz was stopped on suspicion of driving drunk early Saturday morning on Interstate 787, he did what many officers who have found themselves in that position do: He refused a blood-alcohol test.

Many police officers likely refuse on the advice of union attorneys,

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Testing-limits-of-DWI-law-879799.php

3 Memphis Police Officers Refuse Alcohol Tests For DUI

3 Memphis Police officers were arrested this year for DUI and all refused to submit an alcohol test. Joma Harris, Roger Williams, and David Royal all refused to submit an alcohol test and it may have paid off for two of those officers. Joma Harris was arrested on April Fool’s Day for DUI as well as (failure to follow) duty upon striking a highway fixture, violating registration laws and leaving the scene of an accident. However, prosecutors dismissed all of those charges against Harris who instead plead guilty to reckless driving. Roger Williams also had his DUI charge dismissed and pleaded guilty to reckless driving. Both men received diversion which means they could have that charge expunged from their records.

Mike Williams, President of the Memphis Police Association, noted that officers often succumb to the high stress associated with the job and must be helped. Williams made a statement saying, “Given the nature of our job, there is a high divorce rate, high alcoholism rate” and “I like the second chance because sometimes we need to get people help, as opposed to just penalizing them.”

Are you going hold your brother officer down and jabbed him with your needle? I don't think so.

Video: Police union reps coached cop during DWI arrest
Video shows cops bashing district attorney and coaching officer to decline Breathalyzer

Batchelor repeatedly tells Lutz to remain positive. He reminds Lutz that he wasn't involved in a crash and that Lutz's prior conviction for DWAI was more than 10 years ago. Batchelor also invokes the cases of other Albany cops who have been charged with crimes but may keep their jobs.

"Listen if a guy can throw his girlfriend down the (expletive) stairs and still have his job back, come on, will you," Batchelor told Lutz.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Video-Police-union-reps-coached-cop-during-DWI-1335890.php

Portland police union fights drug testing
By KATU News

PORTLAND, Ore. – The union representing Portland police officers is fighting attempts to require drug testing of officers as part of a new two-year contract.

The proposal, made by City of Portland officials, would require random drug tests. It also would require tests after the use of deadly force, in-custody deaths and serious traffic crashes.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/104252649.html

Providence police union says drug testing is illegal

Don't use drugs on duty, right? If they got nothing to hide, why refuse testing? We know the reason, right?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Having a doctor perform unnecessary medical procedures so you can try to justify it later is some crooked shit. Either get a warrant, or don't get it.

If you resist, I'll strap and handcuff you to the bed like an
animal, have 15 orderlies, security guards and whoever wants to play
come sit on your chest so the nurse can find a vein or hunt for one for
as ling as she pleases.

Dont drink and drive.

You mean don't get suspected of drinking an driving? It's a bit illogical to make statements like that, because you assume the person was drinking and driving, but the whole reason you need the blood is because you have no proof.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

How is this warrant less again?  Not being a smartass,I'm just not seeing how having a warrant faxed to you is warrant less.

Somehow I don't think these two statements go together, and I will leave it at that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

Actually, yes, yes i can.

I ask screening questions about diabetes during field sobriety testing. If you say you are diabetic and theres any remote possibity that you could be in diabetic distress, or lie later in court and claim that was the case, i will call EMS to the scene and have them check your blood sugar levels.

Also some of my tests will help rule that out.

Trust me, theres no magic get shitfaced and drive and get out of jail free card or sneaky trick. If there were, every jailhouse lawyer would know about it by now.

This cop was probably a screwup but those are rare in DWI cases.

Most cops dont like DWI's and avoid them if possible. The cops that work them are either on the DWI unit or are passionate and motivated about getting drunks off the streets. MOST cops that hook for DWI arent going to push a blood draw without a warrant, fuck up their PC, act an ass in the hospital, ect

I get alot more bees and ER nurses with honey and shameless flirting, small talk and compliments than vinegar and threats of arrest.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im not about to jump into the anti LEO battle thats coming. However, for any profession, what the fuck is the point of being suspended WITH

It's called due process, in this age of Pavlovian knee jerk responses, it's needed more than ever. People allege all sorts of stuff no matter how spurious, If the Officer is in the right, (don't know enough about incident, neither do you) why should they be penalized with a loss of pay or forced to take their own leave?
You haters think cops don't do enough, with crap like that, they'll do even less.

Here's an adage passed on by an old DC cop, Big cases, Big problems, No cases, no problems.  Look at their state of Policing.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is this warrant less again?  Not being a smartass,I'm just not seeing how having a warrant faxed to you is warrant less.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about two different situations.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#27]
That was stoopid!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called due process, in this age of Pavlovian knee jerk responses, it's needed more than ever. People allege all sorts of stuff no matter how spurious, If the Officer is in the right, (don't know enough about incident, neither do you) why should they be penalized with a loss of pay or forced to take their own leave?

You haters think cops don't do enough, with crap like that, they'll do even less.

Here's an adage passed on by an old DC cop, Big cases, Big problems, No cases, no problems.  Look at their state of Policing.

I don't get "due process" at my job. If I fucked up like that (or even half as bad) I'd be immediately fired.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

I agree with you 100% percent. However, it's a two way street.

Police unions advise officers to refuse to be tested for drugs and alcohol. So the sanctimonious speeches kind of ring hollow.

Why do some cops refuse the blood-alcohol test?

In recent years, law enforcement officials around the region have refused blood-alcohol tests when stopped for suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

When Albany police Officer Brian Lutz was stopped on suspicion of driving drunk early Saturday morning on Interstate 787, he did what many officers who have found themselves in that position do: He refused a blood-alcohol test.

Many police officers likely refuse on the advice of union attorneys,

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Testing-limits-of-DWI-law-879799.php

3 Memphis Police Officers Refuse Alcohol Tests For DUI

3 Memphis Police officers were arrested this year for DUI and all refused to submit an alcohol test. Joma Harris, Roger Williams, and David Royal all refused to submit an alcohol test and it may have paid off for two of those officers. Joma Harris was arrested on April Fool’s Day for DUI as well as (failure to follow) duty upon striking a highway fixture, violating registration laws and leaving the scene of an accident. However, prosecutors dismissed all of those charges against Harris who instead plead guilty to reckless driving. Roger Williams also had his DUI charge dismissed and pleaded guilty to reckless driving. Both men received diversion which means they could have that charge expunged from their records.

Mike Williams, President of the Memphis Police Association, noted that officers often succumb to the high stress associated with the job and must be helped. Williams made a statement saying, “Given the nature of our job, there is a high divorce rate, high alcoholism rate” and “I like the second chance because sometimes we need to get people help, as opposed to just penalizing them.”

Are you going hold your brother officer down and jabbed him with your needle? I don't think so.

Portland police union fights drug testing
By KATU News

PORTLAND, Ore. – The union representing Portland police officers is fighting attempts to require drug testing of officers as part of a new two-year contract.

The proposal, made by City of Portland officials, would require random drug tests. It also would require tests after the use of deadly force, in-custody deaths and serious traffic crashes.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/104252649.html

Providence police union says drug testing is illegal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEZxcUYx748

Don't use drugs on duty, right? If they got nothing to hide, why refuse testing? We know the reason, right?

Yeah, i probably would dwi a cop. We're not above the law on this either. When my sister caught  DWI charge last year i told her sue was on her own for help and advice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

<Removed - T7>  he arrested the NURSE for wanting to see a warrant not the suspect.

Reported for name calling

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The medics/doctors/nurses unionsw should file a grievance for letting unqualified people draw blood.

If states pass a law that trained LEOs can be a phelbotomist for the purposes of a DWI blood draw, what are the docs/ nurses  gonna complain about? They created the problem  and dug their own hole by refusing LEOs requests for blood draws enough that it drew the attention of legislators who passed the new law.....

Quoted:

I don't think the issue here is blood draws.  The issue here is court order.  This bozo thought he could just show up, tell someone to do it, and it would be done.

Shouldn't require a court order to draw blood for a DWI.
The hospital is being overly restrictive if thats their demand
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

Actually, yes, yes i can.

I ask screening questions about diabetes during field sobriety testing. If you say you are diabetic and theres any remote possibity that you could be in diabetic distress, or lie later in court and claim that was the case, i will call EMS to the scene and have them check your blood sugar levels.

Also some of my tests will help rule that out.

Trust me, theres no magic get shitfaced and drive and get out of jail free card or sneaky trick. If there were, every jailhouse lawyer would know about it by now.

This cop was probably a screwup but those are rare in DWI cases.

Most cops dont like DWI's and avoid them if possible. The cops that work them are either on the DWI unit or are passionate and motivated about getting drunks off the streets. MOST cops that hook for DWI arent going to push a blood draw without a warrant, fuck up their PC, act an ass in the hospital, ect

I get alot more bees and ER nurses with honey and shameless flirting, small talk and compliments than vinegar and threats of arrest.

Where are my hipwaders, gettin deep around here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

<Removed - T7> he arrested the NURSE for wanting to see a warrant not the suspect.

Lol

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The medics/doctors/nurses unionsw should file a grievance for letting unqualified people draw blood.

If states pass a law that trained LEOs can be a phelmbotomist for the purposes of a DWI blood draw, what are the docs/ nurses  gonna complain about? They created the problem  and dug their own hole by refusing LEOs requests for blood draws enough that it drew the attention of legislators who passed the new law.....

Phlebotomist.

If you are going to play one, at least learn how to spell it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Phlebotomist.

Thanks for the correction

edit:

I'm am transposing letters all over the place. That turkey smell drifting through the house is distracting me
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phlebotomist.

Thansk for the correction

yuor weclome
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

This is why people have stopped respecting cops. Saying you respect the constitution out of one side of your mouth while wishing that price of paper would just go away out the other side.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phlebotomist.

yuor weclome

You did know what I meant, though

That extra M slipped in there somehow. Damn fingers....

Quoted:

This is why people have stopped respecting cops. Saying you respect the constitution out of one side of your mouth while wishing that price of paper would just go away out the other side.

You're free to not drive if you object to implied consent
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

She can't perform a procedure on a patient without written orders.......by an in house doctor or house generated orders. She would lose her license.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She can't perform a procedure on a patient without written orders.......by an in house doctor or house generated orders. She would lose her license.

Why would a hospital in this day and age NOT have a policy on blood draws for LE on DWI cases.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phlebotomist.

yuor weclome

yes

seriously though, needle sticks in fake arms and compliant fellow students are a different deal than someone who may be combative, impaired or injured. Blowing a vein or breaking a needle does happen, and it really is the domain of the medical profession to deal with that.

Nobody that I know of ever accused lawmakers of doing anything that makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think the issue here is blood draws.  The issue here is court order.  This bozo thought he could just show up, tell someone to do it, and it would be done.

Shouldn't require a court order to draw blood for a DWI.

The hospital is being overly restrictive if thats their demand

Removing part of a person's body sure as hell SHOULD require a court order.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont drink and drive.

<Removed - T7>  he arrested the NURSE for wanting to see a warrant not the suspect.

Quick,arrest him for disrespecting your authority.Seriously if any of that is true ,you should be in jail with all the other criminals.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Evidently not as they released the nurse and suspended him, what a dumb ass.

Cop a dumb ass ??? the hell you say
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Where are my hipwaders, gettin deep around here.

All im saying is that people get uncooperative when you get shitty with them. ER nurses deal with assholes all day and are type A assertive personalities just like cops. You're not going to get a nurse to do anything for you by yelling at them or threatening them.

I work to develop relationships with all my local doctors and nurses and EMT's and paramedics and tow truck drivers, drive through employees, ect. Your job gets alot easier when these people like you and are willing to help you out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phlebotomist.

yuor weclome

yes

seriously though, needle sticks in fake arms and compliant fellow students are a different deal than someone who may be combative, impaired or injured. Blowing a vein or breaking a needle does happen, and it really is the domain of the medical profession to deal with that.

Nobody that I know of ever accused lawmakers of doing anything that makes sense.

You don't even want the phlebotomy trained nurses doing it unless they're trained AND well practiced. I'm lucky to have veins so good a blind man could stick me with a sharpened section of PVC drain pipe and get a good draw, but my wife's veins roll.  She's stuck herself when others can't, but she's the needle ninja in her shop.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

yes

Anyone who has ever taken a CLS class knows that...although I *hear* through the grapevine that the current version of CLS doesn't require needle sticks anymore.

I also believe that your typical LEO who works DWI patrol enough to bother getting certified for blood draws will soon enough have enough draws that they become proficient at it.

Every doc or nurse that is proficient at needles had to start somewhere, right?

And as I said, the docs and nurses who refused blood draws enough that it was brought to the attention of politicians  have only themselves to blame.
Implied consent is implied consent. If the individual doc has ethical  or professional concerns  on that issue then they need to sit down with the hopsitals lawyer and have them do the research and confirm what the hospitals liabilities and obligations are and formulate a policy that conforms to what is legally allowed. Not this business of "I'm not gonna draw the blood for you Mr LEO because I don't want to".......

Quoted:

Removing part of a person's body sure as hell SHOULD require a court order.

In this case, you agreed to allow this procedure when you accepted your drivers license.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn.  That never happens to me in my ER.

Never happened to me, either.  Sometimes, they'd obtain the lab results that we drew.  If they asked politely, I'd draw one tube for the cops (they had a tube in their kits).   I was in a large Level I trauma center, so we did it often.

We had the occasional jerk cop, but we seldom had any real problems with them.

ETA:  I even had to go to court a few times for our DUI blood draws.  It was a legit procedure and held up every time (in OH).  As long as our lab was certified, we were GTG.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Yep

They would need a court order or he could sue the hospital

Free

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole issue of blood draws on drunks has been an issue for years.
There have always been ER staff who objected to doing blood draws for whatever reasons.
They always had us over a barrel because LEOs needed people who were trained/ certified in bllod draws to actually get the blood
Some states have responded by starting to certify LEOs to draw blood for DWI cases, IIRC
I would think that this issue is nothing new and every hospital should have had a policy in place years ago on how they would do blood draws for LEOs

Exactly. No consent and no court order = assault on the PT if you draw the blood anyway, at least in the two states I have lived in.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Yup let cops do needle sticks.... Great idea about as great an idea as letting them shoot 50 Rds a year and that be good enough to carry a gun.

The Phlebs here train 10 Weeks before they are free and clear. At 25 sticks a day that aren't line draws That's 1,225 Draws until they don't have someone hovering over them. Even then, at my hospital that isn't enough to do a legal draw, a lab tech has to do that.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top