BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Wow, that's interesting. Just did a research on the topic and apparrently it IS state dependent as whether it is illegal.  

Cursing a cop on the phone in NC is a no no for example.  

That's hilarious, you can call a 900 number and have sex on the phone but not tell someone to F...Off.  Hell of world we live in.

Tj

Right, like in NYC, you can actually be fined for NOT cussin' on the phone.

If you know for certain they are not real police, and you have them on record as claiming to be real police, by all means, make a couple copies of the tape, put one in your safe deposit box, keep one with your wife, and take the other one and tell them, "you know, I wasn't going to do this, but I figure if you guys are going to get me prosecuted for swearing over the phone, it'll be my duty to inform the police that you impersonated officers of the law."
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]
FlagWaver - So, are they claiming that that you threatened someone on the phone?

The officer who called back said he was with the police department for that area, and I don't know if that's what they're trying to say or not, he just told me about not being welcome in their store and the part about the class one misdemeanor.

At this point I'm not sure if he is or not, but my concern is if he does present this to the DA, will I have to go to court automatically or does the DA make a judgement call on whether to persue this or not?

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
At this point I'm not sure if he is or not, but my concern is if he does present this to the DA, will I have to go to court automatically or does the DA make a judgement call on whether to persue this or not?

The DA almost always has discretion on whether or not to prosecute. The problem with the case is it's a he said, she said. That is until you posted it on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Good news so far.  I called an attorney and he started laughing on the phone.  He asked me if that was all that happened and I said yes.  After that he told me not to worry about it and if anything came of it, he would handle it for a very low price.  He was laughing and kidding with me and said this isn't something I should worry about.  

I'm satisfied with that, didn't sleep well last night though and my wife is freakin P.O'd at me BIG TIME.  

Went to the dentist and all the girls were kidding with me and joking around laughing, that felt great...

Thanks for your help guys.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, last I checked freedom of expression hasn't been eliminated by the courts, yet.

edited for typo
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top