Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Are replacement tires readily available for these vehicles?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Always thought it would be cool to own one.  Maybe one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they just refurbished?

In middle school a neighbor had one. He gave me a ride in it once, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. He also had a viper.
View Quote

Is this your neighbor?

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are replacement tires readily available for these vehicles?  
View Quote

Yes.  Cheap too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol at the people who have never been in the mil and aren't aware of how these things are a rolling piece of shit

Sounds like it's going to blow up when going over 25
Breaks once every hundred miles
Suspension that makes the flinstones car seem the world's smoothest ride
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Same sentiment could be said of crotch rocket bikes, and expensive fast cars.

What ever floats yer boat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't like em, don't buy one. Never understood why people seem to have a ''tude'' about someone trying to sell someting and make a living unless they are purposely defrauding the buyer/s.

Not my cup O' tea but if they sell, good for the business owners and good for the employees.

Or, a buyer could buy a Rubicon or add stickers, spend 20K more  on doo dads and bling shit and be just like the other 200 thousand wanna be 4 wheelers with one just like theirs that never sees as much as a 4 inch deep mud puddle.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Same sentiment could be said of crotch rocket bikes, and expensive fast cars.

What ever floats yer boat.

Just like 90% of arfcom and their tier 1 rifles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lol at the people who have never been in the mil and aren't aware of how these things are a rolling piece of shit

View Quote

Exactly. For $28k I would rather fab up a baja-style sand rail on steroids, and have my pick of components.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In middle school a neighbor had one. He gave me a ride in it once, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. He also had a viper.
View Quote

Did he live near the Alton circle?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Slow, big, yet not a lot of seating, complex drivetrain with limited availability of parts. I think i'll pass. I'd rather have the Toyota hi-lux diesel suv I had in Afghanistan or the Nissan quad cab 4x4 I had in Iraq then one of those turds.
View Quote

The difference is you can actually, legally acquire the Humvee and not have them seized by Customs. Bonus there are states where they are road legal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

My DD is a '00 Jeep TJ. All of the above sounds pretty normal to me.

I'm guessing a Hummer would basically be a Jeep that's a bitch to park.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's the kind of person this thing will appeal to.  Someone who has a number of different vehicles, which they only drive occasionally.   This is a lousy people transport, commuter, grocery getter, road tripper, ...and just about everything else.  But if you occasionally want to drive a "look at me" vehicle, that says a great big "FUCK YOU" to environmentalist, guzzles diesel, and requires lots of maintenance, go for it.  People buy more expensive toys than this.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the kind of person this thing will appeal to.  Someone who has a number of different vehicles, which they only drive occasionally.   This is a lousy people transport, commuter, grocery getter, road tripper, ...and just about everything else.  But if you occasionally want to drive a "look at me" vehicle, that says a great big "FUCK YOU" to environmentalist, guzzles diesel, and requires lots of maintenance, go for it.  People buy more expensive toys than this.  

What is maintenance heavy on these things?  Do you have to set the valve clearance on the diesel every 100 hours or something?

I understand it is not a Honda civic, but was genuinely curious on the maintenance requirements that are onerous...
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
So these are actual HMMWVs they have bought from auction and they are re selling them for a profit? Maybe putting some work into them to raise the price even more.

I already have this. Cost me a whole $3,000 straight from the government. Street legal, titled, registered, tagged, and insured. 20,000 miles. Looks like the above company sells 5 tons also. Starting at $18,600.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

HUMVEE's tend to draw direct and indirect fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it come with a mechanic?

Most important

They are low miles

What breaks on them more than a older diesel pick up truck  priced in the 20's  someone might buy?

Everything. You don't even have to drive it for it to break.

HUMVEE's tend to draw direct and indirect fire.

Fucking reservists!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't need a mechanic. Anything breaks on it is 10 level. Just break out the TM and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So these are actual HMMWVs they have bought from auction and they are re selling them for a profit? Maybe putting some work into them to raise the price even more.

I already have this. Cost me a whole $3,000 straight from the government. Street legal, titled, registered, tagged, and insured. 20,000 miles. Looks like the above company sells 5 tons also. Starting at $18,600.
https://c3.staticflickr.com/2/1571/24967078250_1333795d7e_b.jpg
View Quote

Really?  I will pay you 4500 right now for that truck.  Easiest 1500 bucks you have ever made.  Just buy another at the weekly auction.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  What is maintenance heavy on these things?  Do you have to set the valve clearance on the diesel every 100 hours or something?

I understand it is not a Honda civic, but was genuinely curious on the maintenance requirements that are onerous...
View Quote

Standard early GM crappy truck diesel.  Later models have turbos.  No emissions, so you don't have to add piss every so often.

The real pain in the ass is the 4 hub gearboxes for each wheel that you have to check the fluid in.  That requires it be level, and each wheel has to come off.  Military transmissions were 24V, so have fun getting your civilian mechanic to work on that.

For off road, it has supreme ground clearance for it's tire height, has an available snorkel that works, etc, etc.  As a daily driver, it's a pain.  Maybe handy if you work on a .mil base.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty good profit margin seeing as nice 4 door versions can be had at auction around 10g every week now. Looks like I can invest another 15 grand or so in mine to get it up to par.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
My back hurts just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned a YJ and a TJ. Those are like rolling in a caddilac in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]
If I had the money, I'd buy a M1070HET. Not much will stop those beasts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm 6' 1" and could almost walk under the door when it's open... I learned real quick I couldn't quite do it without ducking just a little. Did I mention these things are 8 wheel drive?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Really?  I will pay you 4500 right now for that truck.  Easiest 1500 bucks you have ever made.  Just buy another at the weekly auction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Well done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Standard early GM crappy truck diesel.  Later models have turbos.  No emissions, so you don't have to add piss every so often.

The real pain in the ass is the 4 hub gearboxes for each wheel that you have to check the fluid in.  That requires it be level, and each wheel has to come off.  Military transmissions were 24V, so have fun getting your civilian mechanic to work on that.

For off road, it has supreme ground clearance for it's tire height, has an available snorkel that works, etc, etc.  As a daily driver, it's a pain.  Maybe handy if you work on a .mil base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What is maintenance heavy on these things?  Do you have to set the valve clearance on the diesel every 100 hours or something?

Thanks for the info.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Business already runs a couple of Deuce Dump trucks so looking at doing a quad cab rv or possibly going 8x8 anybody know engine tranny combo on those?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn it, shouldn't have gone to that Sight, just enquired about building a custom deuce
Do it.

Business already runs a couple of Deuce Dump trucks so looking at doing a quad cab rv or possibly going 8x8 anybody know engine tranny combo on those?
Should be one of these.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M1070_heavy_equipment_transporter

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
if i had a good chunk of money to waste id buy one And drop a 12V cummins and allison transmission in it!
View Quote

Already has an Allison in it. Just has a duramax in it now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#27]
My H2, has been a great vehicle. Would like an H1, just for fun.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#28]
It's almost fun until I add on the extras, like air conditioning and maybe hard doors and a back cover
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
HMMWV-H1 threads crack me up. I have put 35,000 miles on my H1.  Been on 1200 mile round trips with it. Do you know how many times it left me stranded or broke down? 0.  Climb under the truck and PM it once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been offered more than that but don't ever plan on selling it. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't buy a couple more when they were in the $2,500-$3,000 range but too many things going on in life at that time. They are not having trouble selling them now for $10,000-$15,000.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if i had a good chunk of money to waste id buy one And drop a 12V cummins and allison transmission in it!

no
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boom.  Headshot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#33]

You H2 shares a frame and engine with Tahoes and Yukons

H1 is a whole different ballgame.

I would love to build one and just use the shell of the H1 Pull the powertrain out of a wrecked new model Silverado 3500 Duramax and transplant everything including the interior.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've been offered more than that but don't ever plan on selling it. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't buy a couple more when they were in the $2,500-$3,000 range but too many things going on in life at that time. They are not having trouble selling them now for $10,000-$15,000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you completely miss his point "SUPER SPORT"
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I want one with no dings, dents or scratches.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would love to build one and just use the shell of the H1 Pull the powertrain out of a wrecked new model Silverado 3500 Duramax and transplant everything including the interior.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Have you ever been closer than a computer screen to a Humvee?  What exactly would you swap over from the interior?  Maybe the floor mats when you cut them square.

The engine and trans and transfer case would swap, but then you would need adapters for it all, and you would need a complete body spacer lift.  Then you would need the hydraulic fan drive unit from a 04/06 H1 ALPHA.  There is no other provision to drive that massive fan since the HMMWV uses a slanted / almost horizontal cooling stack.

How about this.  Go online and look at pics of the H1 Alpha Platform.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Most important
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most important

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Interior: Seating capacity upgrade.
Lets face it, These humvees are bad to the bone, but only seating for 4 people in the humvee's stock four-door configuration has it's limitations. Thats why we decided to figue out how to fit more bodies into this military enclosure. Introducing 3rd row seating for 2 smaller personel, (kids) and an option to include a front row middle jump seat as well. These middle jump seats fold down for easy clearing of the middle tunnel area, or can come out completely in just a few minutes if you need more room to carry gear. But at least you now have the option to bring the whole family along for the ride.

3rd row Premium Folding middle jumpseat: $890
(includes 2 lap-style seat belts.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I realize they make the rules - but what rules are they making different? Military humvees don't have lights, brakes, seat belts, and a horn? I though they had all those things

So what is physically not letting it on the road with out alterations, legally?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty cool. What exactly do you have to do to a military humvee to make it street legal? It seems kinda crazy that if it lacks safety features or what ever for street use that the military doesn't have it on their vehicles to protect soldiers

But like I said, i have no idea what is different.

I have always liked the look of the original H1 and military humvee - just no use for it.

The government makes the rules bro.  They also exempt themselves from those same rules.  I could give another million examples.  I used to work for the government.

People have had varying luck getting the auction vehicles titled for road use. I know of one Texas member who has one, as well as one guy local to me-he got a bonded title and signed a statement saying it has a horn, brakes, lights and seat belts. Paid a fee and done. Road title and plates.

I realize they make the rules - but what rules are they making different? Military humvees don't have lights, brakes, seat belts, and a horn? I though they had all those things

So what is physically not letting it on the road with out alterations, legally?

IMHO nothing. they are pretty much EXACTLY the same as a h1 civilian hummer, except with a 24 volt electrical system.   the ONLY thing that kept them from being highway legal, was emissions IIRC. and bullshit. i think general motors had some deal with the gov to not resale military hummers to civilians, as it would hurt their civilian hummer sales.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Had a 1996 non turbo wagon
as shop vehicle
slower than hell drove it to grand island once 70MPH flat out top speed sucks

would run along 60-65 no prob
it is like driving a implement around
won't fit alot of places and it is too wide for doing trails and stuff
but it will go in snow   had a good blizzard I went though 3 miles of snow taller than than the hood no problem

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I know it's foolish....but I really want one of these.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you expect when you have a bunch of 18 year old kids driving and maintaining them?
Should do much better when adult owned and operated
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Have you ever been closer than a computer screen to a Humvee?  What exactly would you swap over from the interior?  Maybe the floor mats when you cut them square.

The engine and trans and transfer case would swap, but then you would need adapters for it all, and you would need a complete body spacer lift.  Then you would need the hydraulic fan drive unit from a 04/06 H1 ALPHA.  There is no other provision to drive that massive fan since the HMMWV uses a slanted / almost horizontal cooling stack.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Calm yourself friend, you can take that "how about this" shit and tell it to the next guy. I'd like to think I know a thing or two.

And by interior, I was was only referring to the captains chairs, but didn't feel the need to be specific.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
same reliability as a Jeep?
View Quote

Lol.

More like a Land Rover.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My H2, has been a great vehicle. Would like an H1, just for fun.
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/a7622df7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/a7622df7.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/splattermatic/media/57dc540f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/splattermatic/57dc540f.jpg</a>
View Quote

Lol, the H2 isn't even a real Hummer, its a Suburban Tahoe with a Hummer body.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#46]
This is what I want:

War Truck

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#47]
On my list of vehicles I'd own if I were rich list.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Had one of the original H1's that Arnold S. talked Hummer into building for civi's, #386/1000 IIRC.
GM diesel couldn't pull a greased sting out of a cats ass.  Moved it to the coast via roll back, no way was I driving that thing 300 miles.
Made a great beach rig on a barrier island for a few years. Sold it for a profit 3-4 years later.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Calm yourself friend, you can take that "how about this" shit and tell it to the next guy. I'd like to think I know a thing or two.

And by interior, I was was only referring to the captains chairs, but didn't feel the need to be specific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to be angry.  I just felt the need to point out how your "plan" wouldn't go so smoothly, and unlike you, Ive owned 2 HMMWV's, so I guess I do know a little about them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well fuck....
View Quote

I looked at my fun money account and looked at this, had the same reaction.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top