Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I like pits
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK……

You are more likely to be bitten by a Spaniel than a Pitbull…true

However, you are far more likely to die if attacked by a Pitbull than a Spaniel…

Andy

\

you know this is the same type of logic used by anti gun freaks to ban "assault weapons".

"You are more likely to be shot with a .38 revolver than an assault weapon

However you are far more likely to die if shot with an assault weapon than a .38"

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK……

However, you are far more likely to die if attacked by a Pitbull than a Spaniel…

Andy

\

you know this is the same type of logic used by anti gun freaks to ban "assault weapons".

However you are far more likely to die if shot with an assault weapon than a .38"

Not so… the anti gun freaks take no account of the 'power' of a round, they focus on the weapon that is firing it.

A Pitbull is a more powerful dog than a Spaniel, just as a .223 is a more powerful round than a .38… so it is a truism that a .223 is more likely to kill you… and it would not matter wether it was fired from a M249 or a bolt action rifle, it is still just a deadly.

Andy
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK……

Andy

\

Not so… the anti gun freaks take no account of the 'power' of a round, they focus on the weapon that is firing it.

A Pitbull is a more powerful dog than a Spaniel, just as a .223 is a more powerful round than a .38… so it is a truism that a .223 is more likely to kill you… and it would not matter wether it was fired from a M249 or a bolt action rifle, it is still just a deadly.

Andy

thats true, to an extent.... but they do portray "Assault weapons" as being more powerful.... for instance remember those videos they used to play on the news of AKs exploding watermelons and what not?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
There are no problems with pit bulls that are not created by the owners!!!!!!!!!!!  They are loving, loyal, and protective.  Unlike say the occasional Rottweiler or Mastiff they are generally predictable and even keeled.  Unless the dog's lineage has a history of inbreeding which is not unheard of the problem is THE OWNER!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Andy

thats true, to an extent.... but they do portray "Assault weapons" as being more powerful.... for instance remember those videos they used to play on the news of AKs exploding watermelons and what not?

Ideed, as you say they play on the 'emotion' of the weapon without considering the facts. If I was to go on a mass murdering rampage I would fit myself up with a .308 Remington 700 and lay waste to anything that moved inside 1000yds. Now you know and I know that combination is much more deadly than an AR, but the Remy is a 'Deer Rifle' and is viewed as less deadly because it is a bolt action…

Andy
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...Unlike say the occasional Rottweiler or Mastiff they are generally predictable and even keeled...

Actually, "predictable" is probably the best word to describe Rottweilers in general, and every Mastiff I've ever met (albeit that is a much smaller #)...

Spent much time around Rotties?

Back to APBT's:

Andy, they are powerful dogs, but do we ban things here in America for the potential harm that they could cause, or do we punish the misuse of those things?

ETA: Sorry if that last part came off wrong, I didn't look to see where you were from...
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, but I just see Pit Bulls as one of the dogs people get BECAUSE it's feared.  Maybe if I owned one I'd be on the other side of the fence... hell, the libs say the same for black guns I guess.

Quoted:
BAN PITS NOW!

Quoted:
Ban Pit Bulls!

Ban AR-15s now!
Maybe it's not quite the same... since one's a scarey animal, and one is a scarey rifle.

But one can act on it's own and the other can't.  Big difference, not the same at all.  

Again, not commenting one way or the other, but it ain't the same, not even close.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The problem with saying that a pit bull is 4th from bottom in terms of "bite likelihood", is that the author does not mention that Pit Bulls are the most likely dog to "kill" once an attack begins.

This movie is pure crap!

Ban Pit Bulls!

When moving, your car is more likely to kill someone then mame also.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Andy, they are powerful dogs, but do we ban things here in America for the potential harm that they could cause, or do we punish the misuse of those things?

ETA: Sorry if that last part came off wrong, I didn't look to see where you were from...

My take is this… do I know much about pitbulls… good friend of ours used to breed them until they were banned here.

She would be the first to admit that if something spooked the dog it could turn, and if it did it was trouble. She kept a baseball bat by the kitchen door just incase she ever had one of her dogs bite and lock, as she said, when the 'instinct' got a hold of them it can be very serious.

Although people equate dogs and guns I don't go with that. Even a loaded gun will not 'go off' . Leave it in your yard all day and the neighborhood kids could taunt and tease that gun all day and nothing would happen. Now replace that gun with a Pitbull and repeat the experiment……

Now I am not saying that the dog is wrong, but we are talking about a dog which if riled up enough is mean as hell and likely to do some very serious harm to its tormentors. Yes, I know all dogs will react the same, but Pits because they are such agile, powerfull and fast dogs can put a world of hurt on you in seconds.

Andy
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I raise and use ABT's on the ranch and have them for pets. The biggest problem with the pitbull is the owners. It is like the gun issue if you have never had one or shot one  you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't care if a person has trained large breeds of dogs for how many years. The ABT is truly unique if you put one on a chain with little or no human interaction you will have problems, if you make sure they become a member of the family with lots of human contact they will amaze you with their loyalty and intelligence. I have had Danes, Dobermans, Rotts, Hounds, Mutts and cowdogs of every variety from Collies and Heelers to Aussies, The ABT when given the chance will blow them away.   Pits are very powerfull dogs, when they bite they inflict some damage, any idiot should see that.  Unfortunatley the type of people in the inner cities that own these dogs should not even be allowed to reproduce let alone have a dog.
If the same people that have Labs had ABTs and the situation reversed this thread would be about those vicious Labs.
Back in the 20's, 30's and 40's in the wartime propaganda the U.S.A. was ALWAYS represented by the ABT. And at that time they where the dog of choice for the family.
If you ever own one you will never be without one.    
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
white pitt  exellent post.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm an owner of Rotties, going on 20 years and 3 different dogs. IMO big, strong dogs are always potentially dangerous and have the capability to inflict far more damage in a single serious bite than a chihuahua could do in an hour of dedicated Chi-Fu attacks.

One of the sadder instances I'm personally aware of regards a grandmother walking her two Rotties with her grandkids... took place in Kalifornia. The dogs were raised in a family full of love, were breed champions and used to a variety of people and circumstances, and of course played with the grandkids and loved them.

While they were walking, a lizard scrambled across the path of the family and off-leash dogs. The grandkids were 4 and 6, boy and girl (I believe, close enough for our purposes). For whatever reason, the one of the kids started screaming at the sight of the lizard. The child was attacked and killed by the older of the two Rotties.

Who knows what's in the mind of a dog under stress? What will trigger an attack, what primal instincts or drives will kick in? That's a complete unknown.

I love my dogs and I trust them. But they're dogs. The trust is not unconditional, and IMO that's the case with most responsible owners of large, strong breed dogs. It's just common sense.

I posted this because what I've seen happenning with "pit" bulldogs is gradually creeping into the politically correct governmental busybodies regarding Rotties and a couple of other large breed dogs. I understand the filmmaker's purpose, but frankly there's been a couple of times that, had I been packing, I would have dispatched 3 PBs myself.

But I can't condemn the entire breed, nor discount the experience of millions of owners whose experience has been nothing but positive.

Doberman Pinschers had a nasty reputation at one time, but through the efforts of reputable breeders that have been largely mitigated.

It's a quandry, with lots of emotion. I wanted some feedback to the presentation, and appreciate the comments
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]
ChetChat, I understand, we have to treat each dog as an individual and not lump each breed as good or bad. The closest calls I have ever had were from Labs, Chows and Blue Heelers, each was an unprovoked attack completely out of the blue, the chow was just darned mean.  This from a guy who uses his APBT's as catch dogs on hogs and cattle. Also 95% of my pits have been dog pound adoptions, so it isn't a particular bloodline. Never has one of my APBT's ever come close to biting me, even in the heat of battle while catching a hog or cow.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top