[#1]
daaayyyyaammmmnnnnn!
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not see any evidence of digging having gone on.  It does look like someone would have been killed in the house that took the blast.  Cars in the driveway are not good to see.

+1

Looks like a leak, no heavy equipment or evidence of any having been there.

ETA: Checked the linked site.

Claims a person was using a post hole digger and punched a hole.

is he alright?

If you look at the size of the pipe as well as the thickness of the pipe, you would not be able to punch through that pipe. Look how the pipe is peeled back, they have to uses a extremely strong pipe to deal with those type of pressures.

Not necessarily, corrosion is a bitch in underground pipes.  

They start strong as hell, but wet gas and H2s ruin that pretty damn fast.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for home....
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember seeing pictures like that from another pipeline explosion but it was by a boyscout camp and several were killed
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ehhhhh Ive cut em before ............

the lil ones just stick a hotdog in em to stop the gas flow and go back to work till the gas company gets there.

You carry emergency hot dogs in your truck when you're digging?

I would have thought a pair of vice grips might've been a little more likely to have on hand.

gas company gets pissed when you use vise grips .... it fucks up the plastic line and they have to cut off where you crimped it.  

Usually if its a clean cut they just will cut off any bad portion and use a slip on connector that looks like a big dildo and slip each side of the line into it and it locks onto the line making an airtight seal.  Its pretty slick actually.  

Just had a contractor tear through one the other day.

Vice grips, cut back, dildoed. Gas guys didn't seem to care.

/srhug

They did show 10 mins after contractor called them tho. Speedy fuckers. :)
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
are those pictures on your photobucket account?

No, someone sent those links to me.

ok because that account was not secured as evidenced by this

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#7]
ooblywooblies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Not going to buff out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WOW!

Story?

The story is, someone REALLY FUCKED UP!

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Alien spacecraft crash! They are here!

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I was digging a ditch in a plant one time when I was in college and stuck a dirt pick in a steam line.  The scary part is pulling the pick out to see what type of line it is.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Back around 2001 werent like 6 people killed at a camp site when a gas line blew and just incinerated the whole area? No spark or digging or anything, just blew in the middle of the night...
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/aulenkyl/IMG_0431.jpg

Fuckin' A.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' A.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/aulenkyl/1209062338.jpg

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Fellow Buffy fans have seen this before.

This is clearly the aftermath of a gagantic battle at the top of a Hell Mouth!
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#19]
OK where'd the guy diging the hole land?  Did they even find any of him?  The size of the hole around the gas pipe makes me think no...
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OK where'd the guy diging the hole land?  Did they even find any of him?  The size of the hole around the gas pipe makes me think no...

No one was digging.
Read the links.
Most likely a corrosion failure.

There is no effective way to even extinguish the fire from a pipeline break.
Close the valves and wait for it to burn itself out.

The last one I saw up close bear Centreville, VA burned for almost 48 hours and turned the red shale into slag in the hole.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Transmission X country gas lines run around 1500-2000 PSI, Hi pressure runs around 250-600PSI, Medium pressure runs 50-60PSI, standard pressure runs 12-15 inches [around 1/2 pound]

You DON'T want to be anywhere around a hi pressure or X country rupture, it'll peel the pipe wall like a banana. self ignition from static electricity is VERY possible. [20+years in the NG industry]

Anything past medium pressure will self excavate the soil around the pipe, people simply don't understand that after the rupture, the pumping stations feeding the line will crank up pressures to try and hold their set points which results in mucho gas flow.

Plitco even a blowing medium pressure steel line 4" or larger in a burn suit and it makes for lots of fun. The noise is very unsettling to many. Usually we'll dig a remote hole, run a bypass to another hole on the other side, tie in the bypass, then crush the pipe inside the bypass to shut down the gas to the damage or rupture, weld on some valves, tap the pipe, run down stoppers, cut out the damaged section, weld in new piping and check for leaks, then raise the stoppers, regas the line and retire the bypass. We don't kill entire gas mains if we don't absolutely have to.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' A.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/aulenkyl/Picture016.jpg

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' A.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/aulenkyl/Picture016.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/aulenkyl/5722.jpg

MOTHER OF GOD!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
DAMN! I am now going to be careful digging for worms!
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I would say that the Guy with the post-hole diggers should be about in the vicinity of Mars right about now!
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Them'll Gitch Ya!
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the first pic you can see a burning hunk of what looks like a tractor just to the right of the house in the bottom of the picture.  I'd guess that was the tractor with the post hole digger the guy was using.  Given the size of the crater, I think it's very possible that the blast threw the tractor that far from ground zero....I doubt the guy running the post hole digger survived.

The blast would have been incredible to create a crater of that size.  I doubt anyone within 50+ yards could have survived the psi spike.

Read:  
http://www.policelink.com/topics/30588-gas-line-explosion/posts

Yeah, I saw that after I posted.  Glad nobody was killed.  Then again...maybe they just haven't found the body parts yet.

I'm surprised that after 2 months, they still apparently haven't issued any finding on what caused the rupture.  Probably aren't wanting to say as it may worry folks about the integrity of other sections of the pipeline.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the first pic you can see a burning hunk of what looks like a tractor just to the right of the house in the bottom of the picture.  I'd guess that was the tractor with the post hole digger the guy was using.  Given the size of the crater, I think it's very possible that the blast threw the tractor that far from ground zero....I doubt the guy running the post hole digger survived.

The blast would have been incredible to create a crater of that size.  I doubt anyone within 50+ yards could have survived the psi spike.

Read:  
http://www.policelink.com/topics/30588-gas-line-explosion/posts

Yeah, I saw that after I posted.  Glad nobody was killed.  Then again...maybe they just haven't found the body parts yet.

I'm surprised that after 2 months, they still apparently haven't issued any finding on what caused the rupture.  Probably aren't wanting to say as it may worry folks about the integrity of other sections of the pipeline.

It could be as simple as a small "Holiday" in the coating causing a corrosion weak point. The entire section will have been cut out and inspected by both the company and the feds.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Maybe they should have used some bent coat hangers to find the pipe first.

Uncalled for mirth!
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Awesome. Someone is in some deep shit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn you guys are a little late on this one.

I get to call DUPE on this one.

Heres the link I posted back when it happened.

http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=324026

Our department responded to this incident. I was up cooking breakfast when the rumbling started. I walked out on the deck to listen. I live about 8 miles away form the event and it was loud at my house!

Glad to see when we got there that everyone was OK, I assumed the worse on the way to the scene.

By the sound of it, I thought most of the town was going to be leveled.

ETA: That link on EHOWA is totally false. No post hole digger did that. Company concluded that corrosion was at fault for the leak. it was near the power lines and they arced while being blown around by the leak.

Oh yeah, btw, they had a recording of the 911 call center. You hear all the reports coming in and the dispatchers calling the "Emergency" contact number for the pipeline only to get a recoding! They had to end up calling a number in Texas to shut it down. It took a long time before the pressure died down.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#36]
We once had a back hoe hit a natural gas pipe, 4 incher and when the gas company came out they used a old egg beater drill, drilled a hoe for a screw to go into and then welded the screw in place with the gas still on. It was over 13 years ago so I cant remember exactly what happened as I was far away from the repair but I think thats how he fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We once had a back hoe hit a natural gas pipe, 4 incher and when the gas company came out they used a old egg beater drill, drilled a hoe for a screw to go into and then welded the screw in place with the gas still on. It was over 13 years ago so I cant remember exactly what happened as I was far away from the repair but I think thats how he fixed it.

Sounds like the backhoe operator ripped a service tee [welded or clamp type]  off the main, the crew drove a tapered pin into the hole and the welder welded the plug to the main. Quite common and still done to this day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Safe as that might be, I'd be a puckered-ass SOB if I were that welder.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Back around 2001 werent like 6 people killed at a camp site when a gas line blew and just incinerated the whole area? No spark or digging or anything, just blew in the middle of the night...

Things randomly blow up about as often as a gun goes off: never.  If a second party was not involved it was either corrosion or seismic activity.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
They could have taken that one with a ansul.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Doesn't appear to be any evidence of a backhoe or drilling rig in the photo where the explosion occurred.

I've heard of underground pipeline ruptures due to corrosion being touched off above ground as the natural gas escapes to the atmosphere. Touched off by a railroad crossing signal, if memory serves me correctly. A Koch pipeline?

This isn't it, but it would be very interesting to find out what happened with this one.

Well that thread was started by a guy who lives a mile away. His last update was a month ago:

It's been two months now since the explosion, I've still not heard why the line exploded, but the gas company is re-doing what appears to be a whole segment of line thru the county.  They have been out there 5 days a week digging up and replacing line pipe.  Apparently there are several lines in each pipeline, I'm not sure, but a recent article said just the other day that one of the lines was going to be returned to full pressure this past week.  IF I ever hear the cause I'll post it or the article here.

Sounds like they ain't sayin'
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#43]

I suppose it was a little too hot for marshmellows?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top