Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I bought the Orange Ray a few weeks ago.  It keeps perfect time and I have had a LOT of compliments on it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want the best funtional watch, it would be a Casio Gshock Atomic Solar Mudman with atomic synchronization.  Mine was about $69.

If you want Analog, then I'd go with the Seiko Monster - i prefer orange.  Very nice watches.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
For a little more this automatic Hamilton from Ashford is a great watch $289. They have a lot of different watches and if you register with a site called befrugal you will  get 7.5% cash back as well.

http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/hamilton/khaki-aviation/H76665835.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=4

This one is $175 with a quartz movement and is a really nice watch.

http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/hamilton/khaki-field/H74451833.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=2

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]

It's a Diesel DZ-4180, manufactured by Fossil. Cost me about $185.

I wear a G-Shock Aviator (also about $200) when I'm doing anything strenuous, but I really like my Diesel for any time I want a nice watch that didn't cost me a whole paycheck.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On sale for 169 currently
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suunto core all black military. I had one that I wore 24-7 for a period of about 5 years straight in the .mil. went through a few deployments and several field exercises and plenty of daily abuse. Some dick stole it from my gym bag. I just ordered a replacement after a couple years of not having one. A note they are battery operated and it needs to be changed annually along with the gasket for waterproofing. Also the bands tend to break at about the 2 Year mark with hard wear, but they are cheap to replace.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4e/57/14/4e5714f8075aa003725b3a7cb72a6359.jpg

Retails for $300 +/-

I bought one from DVOR for $140. The band lasted about two years and the replacement was $55

I picked up a Suunto Men's Ambit2 SS019562000 Digi for $48.71 that retails for $550 from Areatrend.com. I haven't received it yet but the features look good and the price was right. I found out about the sale through a watch forum and it sold out quickly but the site does have some good prices on their Suunto's.

Here are the features (GPS, Chronograph, Compass, Heart Rate Monitor, Water Resistant) of the one I bought and keep your eyes open because sometimes they release more inventory and at $48 it seems like a good buy.

https://www.areatrend.com/us/suunto-mens-ambit2-ss019562000-digital-rubber-quartz-watch-1681896219

StyleSS019562000
ColorGrey
GenderMen's
watch_band_colorBlack
Calendar TypeDate
Case MaterialResin
Clasp TypeBuckle
Dial ColorDigital
Display TypeDigital Display
Feature 1GPS
Feature 2Chronograph
Feature 3Water-resistant
Feature 4Compass
Feature 5Heart Rate Monitor
Hand ColorNot Applicable
Index ColorNot Applicable
Index TypeNot Applicable
MovementQuartz
ShapeRound Shaped
Water Resistant Depth100 Meters / 330 Feet / 10 ATM

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]

I have to second this (no pun intended) and right now, it's on sale from amazon for under $70 for cyber Monday (have to add to cart for the 30% off to apply).

I have actually gotten into watches pretty heavily lately, I want something that is durable, will last for years without maintenance, and keep accurate time post any SHTF type scenario.  

I bought an atomic solar G shock first, it is durable, keeps perfect time, and with the rechargable solar battery will last at least 10+ years.  However, it is very bulky, and I began to have doubts as to how well it would fare if there was an EMP or solar flare.  By all accounts I have read, digital watches would likely be toast, but analogs are mostly shielded in metal (faraday cage), and their small springs and components are too small to absorb enough electricity to short them out.  Analog watches and their quartz movements are typically a lot more accurate than digital as well, and who knows how long that GPS signal to sync your atomic digital watch will last post SHTF?  

Like you, I was also interested in wanting a watch that could double as a compass, and when I discovered that you can use an analog watch to very accurately double as a compass, that was the key factor that pushed them over the top for me!  It doesn't hurt that they are a lot nicer looking than digital watches either!  Some digital watches can act as a compass, but they can be very finicky, and like I said, I will always trust mechanical over digital as far as pure reliability goes.

SHTF Analog Watch Criteria

1. Durability - If a watch can't stand up to some abuse, what good is it right?  That doesn't mean that you shouldn't protect and care for your watch like you would any other piece of vital equipment, but if you are caught in hard times, it shouldn't fall apart.  I lump water resistance in here as well, because usually, the greater the watches' water resistance the more durable it is.  And just an FYI, when a watch says in meters how water resistant it is, that is NOT the depth with which you can swim with it, but the "atmospheric pressure" it can take.  IE, the minimum water resistance you should do light swimming with is a watch rated for 50 meters (the cheap Seiko 5 everyone is recommending is good only for 30).

2. Battery Life - After a SHTF scenario, you are unlikely to have access to a lot of luxuries, watch repair is likely to be one of them.  For this reason, I wanted a watch that would last as long as possible in the field maintenance free.  Most watches batteries will only last between 2 -3 years.  If a battery dies on your watch, you are SOL!  Say you buy a watch, it had been sitting in the warehouse since it was manufactured for 6 months to a year, you then own it for a year, SHTF happens, before you know it, your watch dies unexpectedly!  See how short 2 - 3 years is when viewed in that context?

For this reason, I really am a fan of lithium and solar powered batteries.  Lithium batteries will last upwards of 10 years without having to be replaced.  Solar chargeable batteries, like the citizen echo drive, will last upwards of 20+ years (citizen claims after 20 years, the battery will still have 80% of its useful life)!  How is that for battery life?  You effectively, never have to worry about your battery again!

3. Watch Movement -  
If a watch can't keep good time, what good is it?  After all, isn't that its main function?  At first I was very interested in looking at automatics, like the SEIKO 5, because they are totally mechanical.  However, the more I researched them, the less attractive they became.  For one, they are more fragile movements than quartz (battery powered).  Shocks, etc are more likely to disrupt them.  They are typically less water resistant, and if any moisture does get into the mechanism, it will quickly kill it.  If you are not constantly wearing them they will quickly die, they can not sit for more than a day or two tops before needing to be rewound.  Lastly, is accuracy.  Because of the complication of the automatic movement, it is notoriously much less accurate than a quartz movement (unless you're spending BIG bucks).  A quartz watch might gain or loose 2 - 5 seconds a month.  An automatic will generally gain or loose more than 10 times that!  Reports of people loosing 10+ seconds a day is not uncommon even!    

4. Readability - This one can be attributed to mostly personal preference, but I am going to list it here anyway because I believe it to be important.  The easier and quicker one can read a watch and tell the time, the better IMHO.  For this reason, I don't like busy dials, I like plain simple faces, with three clearly defined hands (hour, minute, second).  I like clearly defined index marks, and I also like (very important to me) arabic numerals over dots and dashes for the hour indexes.  In fact, I will not consider a watch that does not have arabic numberals.  Real numbers are just easier and much quicker to read than dashes and dots.  Not every index has to have a number, but at least half (say all the even numbers) should be for me find it acceptable.  I don't want to stare at my watch longer than I have to in order to get the time.  Digital watches are superior in this area, but a good analog with large clear numbers is not too far behind.  Larger clearer numbers also are more visible in low light conditions as the white lettering is more reflective (and also holds more lume).    

Watches that Fit all of the Above Criteria (in your price range)

There are some nice watches that fit all of the criteria above.  One of them I already quoted, the above Citizens.  Citizen also has some other very nice models, but that is their basic field watch.  Almost all of them have their rechargeable solar battery (echo drive) movement.  I'd say their best watch in terms of our criteria is their Royal Marine Commando field watch.  Has a case machined from one piece of solid titanium, thick sapphire crystal, kevlar band, and 300 meter water resistance.  It is simple, sharp looking, and easy to read the time.  It is also totally anti-magnetic.  However, it retails for ~$300 USD (way outside your budget), and sells primarily outside the states.  There are some online companies that will sell and ship to the states though.

Bang for your buck though, you can't beat the above linked to Citizen field watch for $70 shipped, will do 95% of what a watch 3 times as much will.

Momentum Steelix Field Watch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EU53PTO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=268YEE9XJPBRX&coliid=I21LMNHPYIH3VG&th=1

Great watch, currently also on sale for cyber Monday at 30% off, making it ~ $70 total.  This watch is a littler bigger and bulkier than the citizen field watch, but is a bit more durable.  It has a screw down crown which gives it better 200 meter water resistance vs. 100 for the citizen's field.  The trade off is battery life, this watch has a 5 year battery life which is the minimum I would consider for SHTF use.  5 years is still a very good life, as it is twice as long as the normal watch life, and very respectable.  The batteries are cheap and easy to change too.  Momentum has a LOT of other good models, most of which are in your price range.  Check them out and see which one catches your fancy.  Their ULTIMATE bombproof durable watch is also on sale at 30% off, putting it right at the end of your price range of $200.  However, it is a BEAST, if not a bit bulky for every day field use perhaps.  

Timex Expedition Rugged Field Watch  

http://www.timex.com/expedition-rugged-field/T492719J.html

You may look at the name Timex and laugh, but they do make some low price respectable watches.  This watch is their BEST analog field watch hands down.  It is their only analog watch which they rate specifically as "shock proof".  With its beefy construction, you know its durable.  It also has a lithium battery with a 10 year life, and 100 meter water resistant.  The one unique feature this watch has over all of the others is it has their "indigo" feature, which lights up the whole watch face with a push of a button, just like a digital!  With a lithium batter, you don't have to worry that using that feature will kill your battery early, either.  It is currently on sale for cyber Monday at $45 shipped, the cheapest price wise of the list!  You can't go wrong!

How to Use your Analog Watch as a Compass

This is very important, and in my opinion is THE deciding factor in the analog vs. digital debate, esp if you don't care about EMP.  With any analog watch, you can find your direction, just like a compass.  This is how you do it.

At noon, wherever the sun is, is directly south.  Just walk towards the sun at 12 o clock noon, and you will head directly south. From sunrise to noon, you point your hour hand at the sun, half way between where the sun is, and where your 12 o clock marking on the watch is, is south.  From noon to sun set, you do the same trick, but you will be using the right side of your watch.  Say, for instance, it is 3pm, you point your hour hand at the sun, half way between the 3 marking and the 12 marking on your watch is where south is.

Now you can figure our your direction, anywhere you are!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/hamilton/khaki-field/H74451833.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=2

View Quote

What's nice about it?  That's an overpriced quartz analog if I ever saw one.  

2 year battery life, standard mineral crystal, and only 100 meter water resistance for $200???  Worth a fraction of that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/7HVP8RI.jpg

It's a Diesel DZ-4180, manufactured by Fossil. Cost me about $185.

I wear a G-Shock Aviator (also about $200) when I'm doing anything strenuous, but I really like my Diesel for any time I want a nice watch that didn't cost me a whole paycheck.

View Quote

That's a decent dress watch, but still not for me.  Don't care for face (much too busy), the dash indexes, the skinny hard to read hands, or the standard 2 - 3 year battery life.  I'd rather get a citizens watch that has basically an unlimited battery life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Slightly more than your budget at 250 but the Deep Blue Master 1000 series are amazing, automatic movement, Sapphire crystal etc etc

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]

GD.

costing me money for going on 15 years.

seriously though, thanks for posting that.  have been wanting an eco-drive for a while now, and picking one up for $70 is awesome.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

GD.

seriously though, thanks for posting that.  have been wanting an eco-drive for a while now, and picking one up for $70 is awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

GD.

I really like my eco drive.  Not as much as the automatics just because I'm a sucker for crappy technology that doesn't work as well, but my eco drive is really nice.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
presidential rollie
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Based upon your criteria we have drastically different opinions regarding watch values. I won't take the time to refute your lengthy criteria but suffice it to say it wouldn't pass muster on a single watch board I frequent. If you think a Timex and a Seiko 5 are the better values than Hamilton and a hundred bucks is a big deal when buying a watch then there is nothing more to say.  Nothing wrong with Seiko or Timex but the OP wanted a $200 watch and already owns a Seiko 5 he doesn't like. For you to become the resident watch expert is laughable. Why don't you post your criteria on a watch board like Watchuseek which is comprised of true watch experts and see how that goes.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/

Quoted:
Quoted:

2 year battery life, standard mineral crystal, and only 100 meter water resistance for $200???  Worth a fraction of that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Great watch and recommendation. Deep Blue makes a great watch and currently has 40% off on their site. Code is cyber40 at checkout. There are some really nice watches that can be bought for $149 including the blue/black bezel pictured above.And trust me, they are in a different category than what has been previously suggested. Automatic, sapphire, 1000' water resistance and great finish.

EDIT: cyber40 just ended but may return during this month. I will post if it becomes active again.

http://www.deepbluewatches.com/ma10audiblbl.html

http://www.deepbluewatches.com

Quoted:
Slightly more than your budget at 250 but the Deep Blue Master 1000 series are amazing, automatic movement, Sapphire crystal etc etc

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-11234668104341/master-1000m-automatic-diver-black-bezel-blue-sunray-dial-1.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great watch and recommendation. Deep Blue makes a great watch and currently has 40% off on their site. Code is cyber40 at checkout. There are some really nice watches that can be bought for $149 including the blue/black bezel pictured above.And trust me, they are in a different category than what has been previously suggested. Automatic, sapphire, 1000' water resistance and great finish.

EDIT: cyber40 just ended but may return during this month. I will post if it becomes active again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-11234668104341/master-1000m-automatic-diver-black-bezel-blue-sunray-dial-1.gif

I'm looking at this one. Nice looking watch. Where are these made?

http://www.deepbluewatches.com/alaupvdblca.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Japanese. The movement is a Seiko NH35 and I forgot to mention how great the lume is on the Deep Blue watches. I have purchased at least ten of these and have given them out as gifts. No problems with any of them I'm aware of. They run a 40% off many holiday times of the year and this watch for $149 is a great buy. As I said earlier, I will be certain to post when I see the next 40% code.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Japanese. The movement is a Seiko NH35 and I forgot to mention how great the lume is on the Deep Blue watches. I have purchased at least ten of these and have given them out as gifts. No problems with any of them I'm aware of. They run a 40% off many holiday times of the year and this watch for $149 is a great buy. As I said earlier, I will be certain to post when I see the next 40% code.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It says $149. Days they get cheaper?

I have small wrists. I wonder if I should get the 41mm or the 44mm. I currently have a 43mm watch. But it's about max.

On the sizes, are the numbers bigger as the watches get bigger? Are the hand lengths longer?

I'd like to get the Alpha type C. But with the type Alpha A strap... Alpha Type C is out of stock on Air Blue, and not showing on the Deep Blue site.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
www.mvmt.com

I just bought the girlfriend one and it's a nice watch, especially for what I paid.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I picked up a Suunto Men's Ambit2 SS019562000 Digi for $48.71 that retails for $550 from Areatrend.com. I haven't received it yet but the features look good and the price was right. I found out about the sale through a watch forum and it sold out quickly but the site does have some good prices on their Suunto's.

Here are the features (GPS, Chronograph, Compass, Heart Rate Monitor, Water Resistant) of the one I bought and keep your eyes open because sometimes they release more inventory and at $48 it seems like a good buy.

https://www.areatrend.com/us/suunto-mens-ambit2-ss019562000-digital-rubber-quartz-watch-1681896219

StyleSS019562000
ColorGrey
GenderMen's
watch_band_colorBlack
Calendar TypeDate
Case MaterialResin
Clasp TypeBuckle
Dial ColorDigital
Feature 1GPS
Feature 2Chronograph
Feature 3Water-resistant
Feature 4Compass
Hand ColorNot Applicable
Index TypeNot Applicable
MovementQuartz
ShapeRound Shaped

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suunto core all black military. I had one that I wore 24-7 for a period of about 5 years straight in the .mil. went through a few deployments and several field exercises and plenty of daily abuse. Some dick stole it from my gym bag. I just ordered a replacement after a couple years of not having one. A note they are battery operated and it needs to be changed annually along with the gasket for waterproofing. Also the bands tend to break at about the 2 Year mark with hard wear, but they are cheap to replace.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4e/57/14/4e5714f8075aa003725b3a7cb72a6359.jpg

Retails for $300 +/-

I bought one from DVOR for $140. The band lasted about two years and the replacement was $55

StyleSS019562000
ColorGrey
GenderMen's
watch_band_colorBlack
Calendar TypeDate
Case MaterialResin
Clasp TypeBuckle
Dial ColorDigital
Feature 1GPS
Feature 2Chronograph
Feature 3Water-resistant
Feature 4Compass
Hand ColorNot Applicable
Index TypeNot Applicable
MovementQuartz
ShapeRound Shaped

I had an ambit2 for a short while and sold it. Battery life was TERRIBLE ( it is suppose to be 24+ hrs on full battery in my real world experience you were lucky to get 8) if you use GPS at all or the HRM with any sort of regularity. I have a garmin GPS unit for when I need one, I don't need another on my watch I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info and sucks that the battery on yours doesn't hold a charge well. I got the two I ordered today and will get one programmed and see how it works. For $48 bucks I don't have high hopes but I'll find out. Mine came with the heart rate monitor and separate band as well.

Quoted:

I had an ambit2 for a short while and sold it. Battery life was TERRIBLE ( it is suppose to be 24+ hrs on full battery in my real world experience you were lucky to get 8) if you use GPS at all or the HRM with any sort of regularity. I have a garmin GPS unit for when I need one, I don't need another on my watch I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Retails for $300 +/-

StyleSS019562000
ColorGrey
GenderMen's
watch_band_colorBlack
Calendar TypeDate
Case MaterialResin
Clasp TypeBuckle
Dial ColorDigital
Feature 1GPS
Feature 2Chronograph
Feature 3Water-resistant
Feature 4Compass
Hand ColorNot Applicable
Index TypeNot Applicable
MovementQuartz
ShapeRound Shaped

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Just ordered one of these for $67 from Amazon. Haven't wore a watch for going on 20yrs(since I got a cell phone) and have had the itch this year to get one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]
They have been cheaper with discount codes. I have the stainless steel/blue dial version 44mm that I picked up for $82 a month ago. Almost every holiday they seem to issue coupon codes and the Air Blue pilot watches have really had some significant discounts as they have not seemed to have sold as well as their Deep Blue dive line.The 41mm is probably your best bet size wise and I'm pretty certain the numbers and hands would be proportionally larger with each increase in the dial size.

Here is a quartz chronograph for $99 in either black or stainless. It is 44mm with good lume and sapphire crystal.

https://www.airbluewatches.com/product/delta-chrono/

Quoted:

I have small wrists. I wonder if I should get the 41mm or the 44mm. I currently have a 43mm watch. But it's about max.

On the sizes, are the numbers bigger as the watches get bigger? Are the hand lengths longer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Dupe mods please delete
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Based upon your criteria we have drastically different opinions regarding watch values. I won't take the time to refute your lengthy criteria but suffice it to say it wouldn't pass muster on a single watch board I frequent. If you think a Timex and a Seiko 5 are the better values than Hamilton and a hundred bucks is a big deal when buying a watch then there is nothing more to say.  Nothing wrong with Seiko or Timex but the OP wanted a $200 watch and already owns a Seiko 5 he doesn't like. For you to become the resident watch expert is laughable. Why don't you post your criteria on a watch board like Watchuseek which is comprised of true watch experts and see how that goes.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, I would advise you to actually READ my post before commenting on it.  If you had even bothered to do so, the first thing you would have noticed was that I recommend AGAINST getting the Seiko 5 (and automatics in general) which you somehow think I praised?

Not only did he not even read my post, he didn't even bother to read the OP's post before just having to chime in.  OP asked for a SUB $200 watch.  Instead, your mindless scan picked up,
the OP wanted a $200 watch

Wow....the information age has really killed attention spans and attention to simple details!

I could also care less about what you, or your snobby watch friends, consider a "respectable watch".  I am not looking for watches to be cool, or to be part of a clique.  I am looking for pure practicality, plain and simple.  One of the problems with the watch community, like many other nitche communities, is snobbery and elitism.  The type of people who would scoff at working class people thinking
a hundred bucks is a big deal when buying a watch
then they aren't even worthy of attention!  Though in doing so he also put down the OP he posted to "help", since OP's under $200 price criteria was very limiting by that mindset.  Case in point number two was this guy not even reading my post, though critiquing me anyway.  He couldn't be bothered to even read my post, much less logically refute any of my points!

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Deep Blue has reactivated their 40% off code CYBER. This watch is a great buy at $149. There are 18 different color combinations and it is 44mm on a rubber strap with sapphire crystal, Japanese NH35 automatic movement, great lume, 1000' water resistance.

http://www.deepbluewatches.com/ma10aucobe.html

The code works on a lot of watches on their site  but not all.

They have some quartz with tritium tubes for the same $149 in 7 different colors. http://www.deepbluewatches.com/daditr1.html

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Deep Blue has reactivated their 40% off code CYBER. This watch is a great buy at $149. There are 18 different color combinations and it is 44mm on a rubber strap with sapphire crystal, Japanese NH35 automatic movement, great lume, 1000' water resistance.

The code works on all the watches they sell and they have some quarzt with tritium tubes for the same $149 in 7 different colors.

http://www.deepbluewatches.com/ma10aucobe.html

http://www.deepbluewatches.com/daditr1.html
View Quote

I'm going to buy the Air Blue Alpha C 41mm for myself if it comes in stock before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm going to buy the Air Blue Alpha C 41mm for myself if it comes in stock before Christmas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here's an even better Diver's watch for you.  Currently on sale for $200 through Amazon and better in every way spec wise.

Momentum Watch Men's M50 Mark II
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NSCCBU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

* 10 Year Lithium battery Quartz Movement
   *Double locking crown
   *5mm thick Sapphire crystal
   *316L Stainless Steel case
   *Water-resistant to 1640 feet (500 M)
(blows the shallow BLUE watch out of the water with almost double the depth rating)

https://www.momentumwatch.com/product/m50-rubber/
Inspired by military and tactical teams, the M50 is the bulletproof, professional dive watch. The rugged features make the watch nearly indestructible.

Worn by the Vancouver ERT, Maryland State Police and many other tactical units across North America.

22MM ‘Hyper’ Natural Rubber Band

The ‘Hyper’ band is made in Italy, from strong, stretchy natural rubber, with a traditional diver “wave” shape, so it is extra-stretchy and flexible and is fitted with solid steel “keepers” (loops), which are virtually impossible to break. Made to withstand UV, salt water, and chlorine better than plastic straps, it’s easy to scrub clean with a little soap and water. Natural rubber is completely waterproof and perfect for any adventure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:06:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a nice pilot watch and I think you will be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I emailed Air Blue to see when the Alpha C would be back in stock, and I received this responce.

Sorry we are sold out for good.  

Not coming back anymore.

So if they are closing out the Air Blue line, it makes me hesitant to buy on. I would think it's hard to get warranty repairs on a watch that is discontinued.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I emailed Air Blue to see when the Alpha C would be back in stock, and I received this responce.

So if they are closing out the Air Blue line, it makes me hesitant to buy on. I would think it's hard to get warranty repairs on a watch that is discontinued.
View Quote

Check out the watch I linked to, which is a far better watch.  On sale for $200 (have to add to cart to apply discount).

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry we are sold out for good.  

Not coming back anymore.

I understand your hesitation but the movement is what would require repair and Seiko makes the NH35 movement and will continue to do so as it's one of their more successful movements. If there is a problem with the movement Air Blue would have no problem sourcing parts or a new movement from Seiko. On the other hand there are a lot of nice watches for great prices out there at this time of year so I can certainly understand the desire to move on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I understand your hesitation but the movement is what would require repair and Seiko makes the NH35 movement and will continue to do so as it's one of their more successful movements. If there is a problem with the movement Air Blue would have no problem sourcing parts or a new movement from Seiko. On the other hand there are a lot of nice watches for great prices out there at this time of year so I can certainly understand the desire to move on.
View Quote

I still wan the Alpha C in all Black. I like the number size, the hand lengths, smaller min marks, and the night lumen look of it. I just can't find it anywhere for less than $300.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

I bought this.

Laco Altenburg

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Automatic, and water proof to only 5 ATM?  Very bad decision!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#37]
That tier III watch will get you killed!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't wear watches, but i have been wanting a slava for some odd reason. Pretty sure they fall apart after a couple years, but they look cool.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Automatic, and water proof to only 5 ATM?  Very bad decision!
View Quote

That's like, your opinion bro. If I wanted a dive watch, I would have bought that. I like this pilots watch. And I wanted to try an automatic. IIRC, it uses a Miyota 821A.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Casio gshock 5610 atomic and solar for $91.50 on Amazon
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dupe mods please delete
View Quote

They only delete dupe threads not double tap posts.

ETA
Do you guys know why watches that are submersible rated for 330 m are subsequently not rated for Diving? I noticed this on the Orient that was recently posted and some others.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

gave the bosslady the list , waiting for christmas ....
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any updates?

What was on the short list?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Seiko 007
Orient Ray
Orient Mako
Casio G-Shock

EDIT- I also have a watch from Deep Blue and it was a little more than $200 but punches way above its weight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

ETA
Do you guys know why watches that are submersible rated for 330 m are subsequently not rated for Diving? I noticed this on the Orient that was recently posted and some others.
View Quote

Because it's not officially ISO certified.

Any reputable watch rated for 200+M is more than fine for recreational diving.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Seiko 007
Orient Ray
Orient Mako
Casio G-Shock

EDIT- I also have a watch from Deep Blue and it was a little more than $200 but punches way above its weight.
View Quote

The list looks good. Any of them should do good for you if you are getting the features you want.

I like a few of those Deep Blue watches. Pretty slick. They just didn't meet the criteria I had for my last watch purchase. Maybe in the future I'll get one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA
View Quote

Because 200 meters is used to denote 20 Atmospheric Pressure or "BAR", which means that it is tested to withstand the pressure at 20 atmospheres in a lab, which is technically the static pressure equivalent to 200 meters of water resistance, but not the same as being able to swim with the watch at that depth.

IE, if you try to swim with a watch rated for 100 meters (or 10 bar) at, or anywhere close to, 100 meters below the surface, you'll break the watch.  The forces involved with swimming at that depth far exceed the static 10 atmospheres pressure in a lab.

A watch rated for 20 BAR (or "200 meters") should do fine at 100 meters below.  A good rule of thumb is that a watch can be taken down around half the "Depth rating" it has on it.

I believe the exception might be Rolex and some other higher ends, if they say 100 meters depth rating, they are not just talking atmospheric pressure, and you can actually swim with them at their stated depth.  For multiple thousands of dollars, you should be able too, though!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Blain,

So most of my recreational diving is around 130'. Anything rated 200 m should be good to go?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:56:48 AM EDT
[#49]
SKX007/9

My everyday, and I love it. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#50]
That old "static pressure" thing is a misunderstanding that just won't die.

Even the fastest swimming human alive could only generate another 5M worth of water pressure.

"Movement induced dynamic pressure increase is sometimes the subject of urban myths and marketing arguments for diver's watches with high water resistance ratings. When a diver makes a fast swimming movement of 10 m/s (32.8 ft/s) (the best competitive swimmers and finswimmers do not move their hands nor swim that fast[3]) physics dictates that the diver generates a dynamic pressure of 50 kPa or the equivalent of 5 metres of additional water depth."
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top