Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
 Semper Fi  

May you rest in peace

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Suddenly, all my problems in life seem so small.  Bless you dear sir.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
He was a good family friend of my roommate and an aquaintance of mine.  That was extremely powerful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw this story a while back....took me literally 5 days + to read it.  I couldnt read the whole thing. very very sad
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#7]
As I stated before, I was at Lt. Cathey's commissioning ceremony.  Everyone thought it was funny because it took a year and a half for his daughter to get the pins right on those bars.  Everyone was sort of laughing (Lt. Cathey was, too!).  I did not know him personally, but, after reading the entire Rocky Mountain News story (I know all of the Marines quoted) I feel an even more personal loss.  He was a man like me.  At least, I hope to be the man Lt. Cathey was.  If you haven't read, Lt. Cathey was the first through the door of an abandoned home in an insurgent stronghold.  He was killed, but the man behind him credited Lt Cathey with saving his life.  

This is what the United States Marine Corps is about.   Hell, this is what the United States of America is about.  

It took me two hourss to read that article.  

Honor.  Courage.  Commitment.   Has sent tens of thousands of men to their graves.  If you are an American, you had best understand why.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for sharing those photos, and Thank You to Lt. Cathey.  Condolences to his family.

Rick
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Sobering (litterally)...  I disposed of my drink, shed some tears, and read a bible tonight before bed.  Really makes you think about things  My heart just crumbled for Cathey and his family
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Dam!  If those pictures dont tear you up, you might not be human.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Powerful pictures indeed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:49:11 AM EDT
[#12]
 Semper Fi, Lt Cathey.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:54:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks,those are the most powerful pics i have ever seen.

ETA, i would much rather fight then stay back and knock on doors,i dont think i could do it.

My hat goes off to him.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As I stated before, I was at Lt. Cathey's commissioning ceremony.  Everyone thought it was funny because it took a year and a half for his daughter to get the pins right on those bars.  Everyone was sort of laughing (Lt. Cathey was, too!).  I did not know him personally, but, after reading the entire Rocky Mountain News story (I know all of the Marines quoted) I feel an even more personal loss.  He was a man like me.  At least, I hope to be the man Lt. Cathey was.  If you haven't read, Lt. Cathey was the first through the door of an abandoned home in an insurgent stronghold.  He was killed, but the man behind him credited Lt Cathey with saving his life.  

This is what the United States Marine Corps is about.   Hell, this is what the United States of America is about.  

It took me two hourss to read that article.  

Honor.  Courage.  Commitment.   Has sent tens of thousands of men to their graves.  If you are an American, you had best understand why.  

SpecialOperator,

Thank you for sharing your personal expeirences and ties to this story. It only makes it that much more personal for all of us.

After reading your post, I did some more searching and found the article that you refer to. It is FAR too long to post here, but I would encourage everyone here to read it. For those interested, it can be found at: www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news/article/0,1299,DRMN_3_4224682,00.html

denver.rockymountainnews.com/news/finalSalute/

WARNING - Do NOT watch any of the multimedia unless you are prepared to cry a river.

wms.scripps.com/drmn/finalsalute/110905finalsalutepreview.wmv
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Great pics!

[sniff]I think I got something in my eye.[/sniff]  

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
 --  George Orwell

May God bless all the young men and women; and the families they left behind; who "stand ready" for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I read the article on page three, the story that accompanied the pictures on page one.

It took about an hour. Every three or four minutes I broke down and cried. Strangely, while reading through the story, I was caught in a catch-22. On the one hand, I wanted the article to end quickly (it was quite long) because I was consuming napkins and paper towels like a wildfire through dry pine needles and the emotional duress I was experiencing with each paragraph was almost overwhelming. But on the other hand, the story was so beautiful, so touching, so ravishingly graceful, I didn't want it to ever end.

God I am so fucking unworthy of what these men do for me it's criminal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1 - Sadly, I am not sure any of us could ever be worthy of what these men and women do for us. Thankfully, they never asks for us to qualify.

Yet, they do it they do it every day, round the clock, year after year and they volunteer to do it. They do it willingly and they do it selflessly.

Thank God for all of them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#19]
My God, the price some have paid.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
 --  George Orwell

May God bless all the young men and women; and the families they left behind; who "stand ready" for the rest of us.

Amen...AMEN.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
those have to be the most emotional photographs I've ever seen.

God Bless us all

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There has never been a time in which we could have been more proud of our uniformed services than right now.  

When I see young people like those Marines, I know in my heart as sure as I know anything that I am witnessing Another Great Generation.

Sure, there aren't as many, but there have never been any better.

I have never been prouder to be an American nor felt more unworthy of such sacrifices.  As God is my witness, I can never do anything to deserve the the service that these Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Coasties render me.

Like the man onced asked, "Where does America keeping finding young people such as these?"

+100000

my feelings exactly and everyone wonders why I want to be a Marine when I graduate HS

to do my part for better or for worse

My Country
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There has never been a time in which we could have been more proud of our uniformed services than right now.  

When I see young people like those Marines, I know in my heart as sure as I know anything that I am witnessing Another Great Generation.

Sure, there aren't as many, but there have never been any better.

I have never been prouder to be an American nor felt more unworthy of such sacrifices.  As God is my witness, I can never do anything to deserve the the service that these Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Coasties render me.

Like the man onced asked, "Where does America keeping finding young people such as these?"

+100000

my feelings exactly and everyone wonders why I want to be a Marine when I graduate HS

to do my part for better or for worse

My Country

You are lucky to have such examples to learn by. And we are lucky to have people like you that will carry on the tradition. Thank you in advance for your future service. And thank you to men and women like Lt. Cathey and others.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

By Jim Sheeler, Rocky Mountain News
November 9, 2005

Inside a limousine parked on the airport tarmac, Katherine Cathey looked out at the clear night sky and felt a kick.

Thanks for that article. It almost needs a warning label.

Thanks be to God for providing such men for us.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Cut and Pasted for friends and family.

Semper fi, Sir!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News
The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept
doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have done..........

+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#29]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Heisler, Rocky Mountain News. Katherine Cathey pressed her pregnant belly to her husband's casket, moaning softly. The baby, due Jan. 1, will be named James Jeffrey Cathey Jr.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first son was born 85 hours and 34 minutes ago...this picture hit me especially hard.  Thank you for posting these.  God Bless.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#30]
You are a courageous young man ARnut.  Thanks and good luck!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#31]
This is exactly the reason I am going back in at 35.  I need to do my part so my kids wont have to.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#34]
+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Those photos will soon go here
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:  

That is a very powerful and true statement, wish more people understood it
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm not worthy.

RIP
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I read the article on page three, the story that accompanied the pictures on page one.

It took about an hour. Every three or four minutes I broke down and cried.

Same here.  It's powerful.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Words Fail me.

Our Father, who art in heaven,

Hallowed be thy Name.

Thy kingdom come.

Thy will be done,

On earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses,

As we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,

But deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom,

and the power,

and the glory,

for ever and ever.

Amen.

God Bless You James Cathey.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SpecialOperator,

Thank you for sharing your personal expeirences and ties to this story. It only makes it that much more personal for all of us.

After reading your post, I did some more searching and found the article that you refer to. It is FAR too long to post here, but I would encourage everyone here to read it. For those interested, it can be found at: www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news/article/0,1299,DRMN_3_4224682,00.html

denver.rockymountainnews.com/news/finalSalute/

WARNING - Do NOT watch any of the multimedia unless you are prepared to cry a river.

wms.scripps.com/drmn/finalsalute/110905finalsalutepreview.wmv

The slideshows are very powerful.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow.

That was a powerful image of her sleeping next to his casket. Broke me right up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#43]

"Enter James Cathey Junior, who reported for duty a few weeks early to comfort to a young war widow in a world suddenly grown cold and lonely."
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Here I am a grown man with a tear in my eye.  What powerful pictures, text and comments.  I will never be able to say "thank-you" enough to our veterans for the freedoms we enjoy and often take for granted.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#45]
This big boy is blubbering like a baby.....Thank God for our troops. God bless and protect you and your families.

roy d....this space usually reserved for smart comment.....I don't have one now
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Katherine Cathey, a widow before her first wedding anniversary, weeps on her husband’s casket at the Reno airport as Major Beck comforts her. She clung to it for several minutes, refusing to move.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

That is one of the most profound statements I have ever heard in my life.

And it so rings true for me also.  I cannot imagine the circumstances whereupon I would deserve what these brave men have done for me and country.

How can I ever amount to even a fraction of what they have become?

May God wacth over every one of them.   Damn.  I still have "something in my eye."

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#48]
God Bless him.

Max
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Contrary to an oft expressed opinion around here grown and tough men are allowed to cry without being thought an overly sensitive metro-sexual.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#50]
God Bless all!      

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top