User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I would if I could,
The problem is I only see them for sale [size=4]after[/size=4] some sob has mutilated them beyond redemption
View Quote

If aren't aware of the cicrumstances for the changes, don't bitch about it.  Perhaps the gun didn't have "matching numbers".  Perhaps the barrel was so rusted at one part it was chopped.  Perhaps the bluing was too far gone, and it was going to be re-finished no matter what.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
[size=5]I've seen accessories galore on this site![/size=5]

as if you guys are innocent
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, my uncle got this idea he could inlet the stock on his 39A with brass shim stock.   I used to love that gun until he did that.

He's the same guy that built a fishing boat and made it so heavy it wouldn't get up out of the water.

OTHER THAN THAT, THE GUY SEEMED NORMAL.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would if I could,
The problem is I only see them for sale [size=4]after[/size=4] some sob has mutilated them beyond redemption
View Quote

If aren't aware of the circumstances for the changes, don't bitch about it.  Perhaps the gun didn't have "matching numbers".  Perhaps the barrel was so rusted at one part it was chopped.  Perhaps the bluing was too far gone, and it was going to be re-finished no matter what.  
View Quote

I tend to look at these things from a purist point of view.

An unaltered piece tends to have more interest and value even if its rusted to hell like a Russian contract 1911 for example.

Sure it may be in 30% condition full of pits with a barrel that looks like a moonscape.

But you better believe that id snag it over one that has been buffed out and nickel plated.

To each their own i suppose
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The solution is obvious! We need to pass a new law punishing anyone who adds any accessory to a rifle. Sure, it may interfere with the freedoms of some people, but if it saves just ONE collectible, it is worth it! I want my kids to see all firearms from the last century UNMODIFIED! BAN ALL FIREARM MODIFICATIONS NOW! IT IS FOR THE CHILDREN!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[b]poly chokes and SS numbers[/b]

I cant tell you how many old A-5's or whinchester lever guns in beautiful shape i see whith either a poly-choke or SS# scratched on em.

View Quote

There's a poly choke on my 12 gauge shotgun. My grandfather put it on. My dad and I have considered getting rid of the thing, but we aren't sure how it's on there and don't want to fuck up the whole shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I own a Remington Model 11 (A5 clone) with a PolyChoke.  I didn't install it.  It's not pretty.  However, to remove it will cost money, and to get a new barrel will cost more than I paid for the gun.  In the mean time i'll use it.

Some folks do some seriously screwy things to their guns.   However, collector value is in the eye of the collector.  Certainly some guns have historical value, but I just can't see the historical value of 1 million Czech Mausers.  Maybe a few special ones that are quality representatives of the bunch.  At a certain point, common sense should take over.  Getting a good condition mauser @ big 5 doesn't mean it's a collector, other then adding to your gun collection....it just means you own a new gun.  

If you folks are so sure that these people are going to f#$% their guns up, buy the gun from them at whatever cost if it's truly collectible.  Otherwise STFU.
View Quote

STFU????????

This wasn't a Mauser from "big 5".  I build custom guns starting with Mauser actions.  Match chamber, trued bolt face, trued bolt lugs, pillar bedding, etc.  It's a fine piece of equipment capable of sub-moa performance.

STFU indeed!!!

Balming
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I got on for ya, seen an older Colt SA 45LC that had a Tasco scope on it (mount drilled & tapped) !!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The solution is obvious! We need to pass a new law punishing anyone who adds any accessory to a rifle. Sure, it may interfere with the freedoms of some people, but if it saves just ONE collectible, it is worth it! I want my kids to see all firearms from the last century UNMODIFIED! BAN ALL FIREARM MODIFICATIONS NOW! IT IS FOR THE CHILDREN!
View Quote

*quietly* Shut up... they'll hear you!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. ground off the shoulder stock lug on lugers & broomhandle mausers.
View Quote

To be fair, this was done to stay legal regarding NFA rules.  Pretty much the same as ground off bayonet lugs & pin & welded muzzle brakes on post-ban AR's.
View Quote

I'm told that Lugers and Broomhandles are exempt from this, as they are collector pieces, and common in the US after the Great War.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Taking grandpa's nice old pre-64 Win. 94, whether it be rifle or carbine, and screwing a scope mount with four holes on the side of the receiver. Than mounting a 4x12 power scope on it. It's a 30.30 for pete's sake. Screw-up a Marlin that is made for a scope. Not a nice old Winny.

Almost forgot, Inletting a compass into the butstock of anything that has walnut for a stock.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Had POS "Cousin" who took my Uncles neat old .455 Webley (?) and used a hacksaw to make a "pocket pistol".

He did the same thing to a green .38 S&W english pistol.

I wanted him dead after he did that!

He did this all after my Uncle passed away.

Oh........and he "pawned" my Uncles small collection of lever action Savages.

Thanks for reminding me!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Tumor, I grieve with you regarding the Webley.

I want a Krag that looks the way it was issued.  Not some hack do-it-yourself sporter mangled 30+ years before I was born.

Full size too.  Not a carbine, or a turned-into-a-carbine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair, this was done to stay legal regarding NFA rules.  Pretty much the same as ground off bayonet lugs & pin & welded muzzle brakes on post-ban AR's.
View Quote

I'm told that Lugers and Broomhandles are exempt from this, as they are collector pieces, and common in the US after the Great War.
View Quote

But when did they become exempt?  If I recall correctly it wasn't until the 1980's or so.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I just fucked up a Czech VZ-24. [:D] I wanted a cheap bolt action and the stock was in really bad shape, but the bore was really bright. I have about $140 in the whole project. I can't buy a Rem for that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got on for ya, seen an older Colt SA 45LC that had a Tasco scope on it (mount drilled & tapped) !!
View Quote

Yet again Mr. Colt is rolling in his grave.
[>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>(][>[>(][>(]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything 'chromed'. So many nice European pistols that came back from WWII and ended up looking like something Oster made, or something that a pimp should carry.

Any milspec, good condition service rifle that has been sporterized. There are plenty of dogs out there with good actions and crap for stocks and barrels, but too many times I've seen bubba take the machette to the front end of an Enfield and hack off everything he could think of.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#18]
first off, go reread my post.  Once you've done that make sure you understand what it says.  

Now, once you think you've done that, you'll note I'm not in favor keeping every POS rifle that came from Eastern bloc countries in the fine states they come in.  

Building custom guns on mauser actions is a neat idea. I'm working on one right now.  Of course, when I bought mine I checked through to make sure it wasn't a matched serial # gun or anything just so the whiners out and about wouldn't scream at me too much in their delirium when I rebarreled it.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
first off, go reread my post.  Once you've done that make sure you understand what it says.  

Now, once you think you've done that, you'll note I'm not in favor keeping every POS rifle that came from Eastern bloc countries in the fine states they come in.  

Building custom guns on mauser actions is a neat idea. I'm working on one right now.  Of course, when I bought mine I checked through to make sure it wasn't a matched serial # gun or anything just so the whiners out and about wouldn't scream at me too much in their delirium when I rebarreled it.  
View Quote

Maybe you should reread some of these post.

I don't think anyone has a problem with building a fine sporting rifle with a rebarrelled Mauser action. the problems begin when you dremel your name in the side of the stock and then spray paint it camoflauged when you are done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#20]
What 455SD said!

Balming
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
It's all about good taste and a little common sense.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Beauty is as beauty does.

My Glock M22 has the lower backstrap Dremeled off and filled with JB Weld. I colored it with a Sharpie to match. Looks like crap, but points the same as my carry gun (Glock M27). I use the M22 for ISPC matches to keep me proficient with the abominable Glock trigger. Lets me trick out the match gun freely (extended controls etc.) and also saves me having to clean it (a piece of advice... NEVER carry a dirty gun).

Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think if your AR is over 10 pounds, you've gone too far.

Mine's at 9.99lbs...had to shave a little rubber off the pistol grip[;)]
View Quote

Mine weighs about 17.5 pounds.  but you can't tell unless you pick it up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
you got to remember alot of the wack jobs done on milsurp arms were done pre68 cuz at the time u could pick up one for a couple bucks and the supply seemed unending.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
As the saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but it does still make me chuckle every time I see some shotgun decorated with camo tape :)
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Camo tape is fine with me, but I wouldn't put it on a Perrazi.

I knew a guy who hacksawed off the end of his wife's shotgun barrel.  I was fine with that, they only used that gun for skeet practice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a customer bring me a single bbl shotgun that he had cut.  Unfortunately he had measured 18 inches from the FRONT and cut the barrel, leaving it about 8 inches long!  He wanted the absolutely cheapest repair job I could do so I welded a piece of scrap pipe to it and that was that.  I see him occasionally and he said it holds up just fine.

Balming
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How about people engraving their whole social security number into all of their guns?  I can't count the number of times I've seen this done.

Balming
View Quote

When I was in the Navy in the early 80's and stationed at NTC Orlando, Fl.  In order to check a gun into the base armory for any more than a week, you had to engrave your SSN on it.  I refused to deface my gun in that manner and took it to an off base friends house.  But the armory had several hundred guns in it at that time, so obviously there are a lot of guns out there with SSN's on them.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
don't get me started on the folks that trick out their ar's and sks's...10 pounds of bolt on gizmo's that they never use.
View Quote

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=127[/img]

I did notice that this rifle still has the stock pistol grip and no "gapper" installed.

View Quote

ROTFLMAO.  Somebody has way too much time and money on his hands.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I had to deface my favorite firearm (UZI, if you hadn't guessed).  When I converted it to full auto, BATF required my name and city be "engraved" on the receiver in a conspicuous manner.  I used the metal stamps I have from my locksmith business (used for stamping keys).  It looks as good as it can under the circumstances.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe you should reread some of these post.

I don't think anyone has a problem with building a fine sporting rifle with a rebarrelled Mauser action. the problems begin when you dremel your name in the side of the stock and then spray paint it camoflauged when you are done.
View Quote

[size=4]AT LAST SOMEBODY FINALLY GETS IT[/SIZE=4]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I still can't convince myself to eyeball the Win. Model 52 target rifle at the local gun shop. Just something about that chromed barrel,receiver,trigger guard,and floorplate that turns my stomach.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top