Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I like him for the most part but he acts like a fundie when it comes to his religion.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Did I get in before the shit storm???

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I stopped watching when he said that Barry was "wicked smart."

Realizing your enemy is competent is the first step to victory.

It amazes me how stupid and idiotic the rationale among most of ARFCom is. They believe the Democrats are so unbelievably incompetent, yet are surprised that they can (somehow) win elections. Its the most insane of confirmation biases.

At least Penn understands that his opponents have valid arguments, and attempts to debate them. You're not going to get their side to listen to anything you have to say when you denigrate their president from the get-go.

<object width="0" height="0" id="plugin0" type="application/x-dgnria" style=">[div][div]</object>

Wrong.  Penn not only said Obama was smart, he said he had good intentions.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How well you illustrate my point that atheism is just another religion.

What are it's tenets? What are their observances, beliefs and practices?

keep reading..those tenets, beliefs, and practices are here in this very thread.

I've missed you.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I stopped watching when he said that Barry was "wicked smart."

Realizing your enemy is competent is the first step to victory.

It amazes me how stupid and idiotic the rationale among most of ARFCom is. They believe the Democrats are so unbelievably incompetent, yet are surprised that they can (somehow) win elections. Its the most insane of confirmation biases.

At least Penn understands that his opponents have valid arguments, and attempts to debate them. You're not going to get their side to listen to anything you have to say when you denigrate their president from the get-go.

<object width="0" height="0" id="plugin0" type="application/x-dgnria" style=&quot>[div][div]</object>

Wrong.  Penn not only said Obama was smart, he said he had good intentions.
And what road does "good intentions" pave?

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

keep reading..those tenets, beliefs, and practices are here in this very thread.

Okay, I'll bite: Like what, exactly? Serious question.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chirp, chirp.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chirp, chirp.

some of us have jobs.   I'll revisit this when I'm not working.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chirp, chirp.

You need more time to invent a big line of BS?

EDIT: Im working now and have worked 112 hours in the last 7 days.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
What I hate about coming into a thread late is that no one will read what I have to say.  I may have something really profound to write, however it is almost certain that somebody has already stated the same thing.   So I would like to give that person a + 1 for making the same point as I, and beating me to it.  Though they will never read my post.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What I hate about coming into a thread late is that no one will read what I have to say.  I may have something really profound to write, however it is almost certain that somebody has already stated the same thing.   So I would like to give that person a + 1 for making the same point as I, and beating me to it.  Though they will never read it.

say it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chirp, chirp.

oh cut the snivel...go look for the guys post in which he say he believes 100% in his heart that there is no God.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chirp, chirp.

oh cut the snivel...go look for the guys post in which he say he believes 100% in his heart that there is no God.

Im not even sure I know what you are implying?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chirp, chirp.

You claimed atheists have a common, identifiable set of "tenets, beliefs, and practices" (contained in this thread, no less), and as evidence you offer that an atheist believes there is no god. That's profound.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That was me saying that I believe there is no God....I don't understand how you can claim that's an an example of atheists having tenets, beliefs and practices. You're claiming that by me saying that I don't believe in God I actually believe in something? The fuck?

Keep reaching.....

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that when you typed that you were smiling to yourself because you knew just how stupid it was going to sound.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I hate about coming into a thread late is that no one will read what I have to say.  I may have something really profound to write, however it is almost certain that somebody has already stated the same thing.   So I would like to give that person a + 1 for making the same point as I, and beating me to it.  Though they will never read it.

say it.

I just wrote a long reply and then decided, nope. Delete.

When I read what I wrote and it sounded kind of stupid.  

Maybe later after dinner and a few beers.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was me saying that I believe there is no God....I don't understand how you can claim that's an an example of atheists having tenets, beliefs and practices. You're claiming that by me saying that I don't believe in God I actually believe in something? The fuck?

Keep reaching.....

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that when you typed that you were smiling to yourself because you knew just how stupid it was going to sound.

Your disbelief in not believing is proof that in fact you believe in not believing.
Holy shit I cornfrused myself with that one.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Penn for president.

<Removed.  ––tbk1>
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Penn for president.

<Removed.  ––tbk1>

So it's ok to be derogatory to an athiest, but not someone who believes these stories? Tell me that's not the case.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]

This clearly violates COC #1

Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature

Quoted:

No, Penn Jillette, you're not a "big thinker."

Like every Atheist, you're small and simple-minded, refusing to believe in anything unless it's spelled out to you. You believe in the omnipotence of your human mind rather than in an outside omnipotence.

Your religion  is boring and based in pessimism. And you wear fingernail polish.

Yawn.

Your comment is derogatory and of a religious nature. Reported.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Penn for president.
<Removed.  ––tbk1>

So it's ok to be derogatory to an athiest, but not someone who believes these stories? Tell me that's not the case.

They expect their hate filled beliefs which attack and belittle others to be impervious to attacks and belittlement.

Then they want to pretend that we are the inherently militant ones, and our criticism of their opinions is completely unprovoked.

Basically this is how these threads go:

Them: "You are all horrible evil people, and you deserve to be tortured forever by my god."

Us: "well if that i what you believe, then the most horribly evil thing that I've seen is your god."

Them: "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, WHY DO YOU ATTACK MY BELIEFS COMPLETELY UNPROVOKED! CLEARLY YOU ARE A SPITEFUL PERSON WHO HAS A BONE TO PICK WITH GOD...ENJOY HELL SATAN LOVER"

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like every Atheist, you're small and simple-minded, refusing to believe in anything unless it's spelled out to you. You believe in the omnipotence of your human mind rather than in an outside omnipotence.

Your religion  is boring and based in pessimism. And you wear fingernail polish.

Yawn.

All the atheists in this thread have just spent 4+ pages telling us it's not a religion.  So how can one violate the coc regards comments of a religious nature when speaking of it?

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yawn.

All the atheists in this thread have just spent 4+ pages telling us it's not a religion.  So how can one violate the coc regards comments of a religious nature when speaking of it?

He is using his religion to make a derogatory comment about others.

Thus, its derogatory and of a religious nature.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yawn.

It is absolutely of a "religious nature".  

This is an atheist thread, with him talking shit about atheists.

I _Absolutely_ never go into a thread on someones religion and talk shit, that's fucked up.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yawn.

It is absolutely of a "religious nature".  

This is an atheist thread, with him talking shit about atheists.

I _Absolutely_ never go into a thread on someones religion and talk shit, that's fucked up.

He's not talking shit about a religion, he's talking shit about people using his religion as cover.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Penn for president.

<Removed.  ––tbk1>

lol, wow.  That got edited?

Someone actually got their butt hurt over that?

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#27]
an AK-15 huh
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're religion  is boring and based in pessimism. And you wear fingernail polish.

Yawn.

Boom headshot.

Yeah...  not quite, but you're welcome to continue being wrong about that.

Nah, he got it spot on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
an AK-15 huh

Believe it or not... there are people out in the world who don't know shit about guns... but want for YOU to have the freedom to own whatever guns you want to.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Atheists usually get their feelings hurt whenever I post this (it's been a few years):

Biblical Rationalism vs. Psycho Assertionism
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#31]
At 15:00 Did he really say AK15?? What the heck is a AK15?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yawn.

He should heed the words of Willie Wonka......"never doubt what no one is sure about".
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone knows Penn Jillette, they would know that he has no ill will toward Christians.  I mean, fuck, he's one of Glenn Beck's best friends.   I really would wish the militant atheists would can it and just work toward getting along instead of trying to disparage folks.

Most libertarians (that I converse with at least) have the mindset of live and let live. The only people that I harbor any ill will to are people who wish to use force against me. I find that most people who identify as libertarian are extremely accepting of others and different viewpoints.

As am I.  I know a couple of atheists who might profess to be "libertarian" but always vote democrat....when they drive by a packed church they think "look at all of those fools".  When I drive by a packed church I think "man, those folks look like they are having a good time on a Sunday afternoon".  

We are all different and unique people. It's as wrong to force people into being an atheist like you as it is to use the very same distasteful things to try to get people to be "Christian".

By all means everyone is entitled to think what they want, I don't see many atheists trying to force atheism down anyone's throats, though there are the usual attention whore crybabies suing over christmas trees in public places and whatnot.

That said - should I also not judge the intelligence of the guy under the overpass who tells me that each of us has a tiny alien in our brains that controls our actions, and that we were all put here 200 years ago with a falsely implanted set of memories regarding history and a carefully staged world?

If you believe in magic I do not respect your beliefs, I find them silly.  But that's OK - lots of people believe lots of silly stuff.

Yep.  The very basis of western civilization is rooted in magical silly stuff.

That sounds so plausible.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone knows Penn Jillette, they would know that he has no ill will toward Christians.  I mean, fuck, he's one of Glenn Beck's best friends.   I really would wish the militant atheists would can it and just work toward getting along instead of trying to disparage folks.

Most libertarians (that I converse with at least) have the mindset of live and let live. The only people that I harbor any ill will to are people who wish to use force against me. I find that most people who identify as libertarian are extremely accepting of others and different viewpoints.

As am I.  I know a couple of atheists who might profess to be "libertarian" but always vote democrat....when they drive by a packed church they think "look at all of those fools".  When I drive by a packed church I think "man, those folks look like they are having a good time on a Sunday afternoon".  

We are all different and unique people. It's as wrong to force people into being an atheist like you as it is to use the very same distasteful things to try to get people to be "Christian".

By all means everyone is entitled to think what they want, I don't see many atheists trying to force atheism down anyone's throats, though there are the usual attention whore crybabies suing over christmas trees in public places and whatnot.

That said - should I also not judge the intelligence of the guy under the overpass who tells me that each of us has a tiny alien in our brains that controls our actions, and that we were all put here 200 years ago with a falsely implanted set of memories regarding history and a carefully staged world?

If you believe in magic I do not respect your beliefs, I find them silly.  But that's OK - lots of people believe lots of silly stuff.

Nah....now something coming from nothing - that's plausible
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like dividing by zero....
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Kinda like dividing by zero....

Yup, presidential math, as some like to call it.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah whatever.  I am catholic when I was seven I said I'm done with CCD.  But I still want my daughter to go to CCD and be raised in the church.  Ordinarily I like Penn Gillette but he just comes across as weird and overly agitated.   He takes religion more seriously than I do as a Catholic.   What is it with atheists?  Anyway the short answer is Americans are religious and you can piss people off.   That make it clear?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are you referring to god?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

God came from something...the mind of men.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh SNAP!

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh SNAP!

Numbers also came from the mind of man yet they are still very real.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh SNAP!

This thread brought to GD by the number potato.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And Zeus, Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Sandman, Jack Frost...need I go on?

"You can't put anything that's not true on the internet." -The internet told me that

"The bibe is the word of god."- The bible told me that
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.

So, he's pretty much correct on any issue he speaks about (guns, liberty, government, global warming, martial arts, etc) but he's not allowed to not believe in god?

He can believe whatever he wants.

I just think it's funny that Atheists, who pride themselves on the power of their own minds, don't believe in God because "science hasn't proved it yet."

If their powerful minds can't fathom of a god, why then that must mean that God doesn't exist. Because if God did exist, surely minds of their immense caliber would sense it. Tedious and egotistical.

What about agnostics?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Zeus, Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Sandman, Jack Frost...need I go on?

"You can't put anything that's not true on the internet." -The internet told me that

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#46]

All kidding aside, that sums it up VERY nicely. When I saw that I thought, "WOW, that's a perfect summary of Christianity."
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  You are right.  

Jesus of Nazareth is no different than those characters you mention.  A mere mental contrivance.

Also, with regards to numbers, I mispoke...they exist independently of the human mind.  They are abstract, necessary things.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top