User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Isn't it illegal to have over 10 K on you in cash ? Or is that only when flying?

You are a drug dealer/money launderer/gun runner/bank robber/etc with that kind of cash until you can verify your innocence in triplicate, white, pink, and yellow carbon copies.  Make sure you don't have any spelling errors or put your County on the wrong spot like so many of us have done on a 4473, because if you do its PMITA prison for you.

But all of this is ok, because its "For the children."

And don't expect to see your dough anytime soon, even if you do everything right.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No but they would have to report the cash transaction to the Feds.
(I believe any cash transaction over $10K has to be reported).

That would be correct.

Also, don't expect any real discounts for paying in cash, they actually prefer financing as they get a kick back from the lender.

The trick is to not tell them you are going to pay it off right now. (Cash or check) Negotiate and get the lowest price you can, then when they say "How are you going to pay?" Whip out the old checkbook and write them a check.  Most of the time they get some money for financing.  If you buy it outright they do not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you walked into a dealership and paid for a expensive car with cash outright would they call the cops?

Alternatively, you can write them a check and have them call your bank to verify the funds.

I have always used this method of payment for all my vehicles, if you pay it all upfront, the dealer will always work with you, give you a discount, free shit and all.

Good luck man.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends what you're buyin.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's right. Give them a 5k deposit today, another in a few days and so on it its not requirded to be reported. Doesn't mean they may not  fill a form reporting unusual cash transaction.

Be careful - they call this "structuring" - in essence making it crime to avoid the reporting requirement by breaking up the payments into a short time period to avoid suspicious activity report filings and currency transaction reports.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Nearing my fifth decade on this planet, I have NEVER financed a car.  

However when I do go in to haggle, I *never* give any inkling as to my intentions to pay in full,  so they have visions of finance profit sugar plums dancing in their avaracious heads .

I do ask, "So, what does that come out to for the car itself... not including the financing?"  (I've already looked up the 'Blue Book' value before I even walk in)

When I decide upon a vehicle and Mr Sleazeball sets me down in the mind-warp chair to manipulate my dim-witted female brain into compliance, I typically walk out at least once when he gets to the add-ons, or when his "manager just won't approve such a low price,", etc, etc, etc with "Sir! I won't be wasting any more of your time!  Good day!"

After he either runs like Forrest Gump to corral me in the parking lot or if I escape, calls me at home to, come "talk" some more... and he FINALLY gets realistic, then and ONLY then do I whip out my checkbook and announce that I would prefer writing a check for the sake of my records, but if you can give me $500.00 MORE off, I'll go to the trouble of getting you good green cash  straight from my bank."

The overwhelming majority of car salesmen are masters of manipulation who 'profile' females to the max, and I thoroughly enjoy messing with them like nothing they have EVER encountered who of my gender!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just don't get pulled over on the way to buy it .

Anything over $5000 can be seized until you prove where
it came from . Even then , depending on the state . You
may still be SOL

Bullshit.  There has to be PC, and unless you are toting large white money bags with a Dollar sign on the side how is anyone to know anyway?

Do a little research on " Asset Forfeiture " you will be surprised.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's right. Give them a 5k deposit today, another in a few days and so on it its not requirded to be reported. Doesn't mean they may not  fill a form reporting unusual cash transaction.

Be careful - they call this "structuring" - in essence making it crime to avoid the reporting requirement by breaking up the payments into a short time period to avoid suspicious activity report filings and currency transaction reports.

Yeah, talk about fucking bullshit - it's a crime to avoid committing a crime.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No but they would have to report the cash transaction to the Feds.
(I believe any cash transaction over $10K has to be reported).

I think it's 5K now. Our bank will hold any transaction over 5K for a day. It may be just a local thing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I do it every time I buy a new truck. Although my trucks are not expensive, paying cash saves you a lot in the long run.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top