Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I want my money back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]

At least it's moving with the seas.

I have a rule.  If it's not rolling very much, or rolling very slowly, it's probably not a good idea to go on board.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
guy who was near the forklift is lucky to have his life!

If he had lost his balance, or waited about 3 seconds longer.  He would of been a pancake.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRE9zN6Mgc&feature=related

No Thanks, I'll stay on the big decks..
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry in advance for the long story:

'92 or '93, I was working as a deck hand on a factory trawler doing some experimental fishing in Chile. We were about 200 miles due west of the Drake Passage. 60 to 70 foot seas for 3 straight days. The wind guage in the wheel house pinned at 100knots and was there for over a day before it broke. Primary radar went out on the first day and midway through the second day our rudder was disabled and we had to finish out the stormn using only our bow thruster.

I spent half the storm in the bow thruster room on shifts watching pumps that were trying to keep up with the hole in the bottom of the bow caused when a wave tweaked our deployed sonar. I was young and dumb and had no fear at the time. But on hindsight, I think that was the closest i ever came to having one of my boats sink.

The funny part was that we brought on about 75 chilean nationals to work the galley and factory as part of the deal with the Chilean.gov. They were throwing up every where. it was rolling up and down the companion ways and piling up in the galley. The shitter pump(also in the bow thruster room) was only working about half the time due to the extreme pitching of the boat so all the heads were full of puke and shit and piss.

All the berths had these cheesy little foam life jackets under the racks. On day 2 myself and a couple other deck hands put them on and went to the galley and ate lunch. 5 minutes after we walked in there, every Chilean on the boat was wearing one.(We had our gumby suits stashed in the deck shack.)

Only a couple cuts and bruises out of a crew of 100.

The upside, after the storm we limped up north and met some tugs who took us into Concepcion for a 2 week drydock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
They screwed the pooch on the music, they should've used Celine Dions My Heart Will Go On
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I was on the edge of a Hurricane while a serving on the Mardet on the USS Enterprise and it was close to that but we had everything secured to the deck so it was fun

that looked scary
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
In before USCGLifeboatDriver

I can handle heavy seas.  Fuck surf though.  Surf can lick my leather cheerio
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

reading that story, then comparing it with your current location, makes me think that you used the sailor's retirement method:

grab an oar, walk inland, and don't stop until someone asks "what's that?".  

build retirement home on that spot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]

And the Navy recruiter told me I didn't need to know how to swim to be in the Navy. Fucking liar. My ass is wearing green for a reason.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#14]

+1

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

reading that story, then comparing it with your current location, makes me think that you used the sailor's retirement method:

Born and raised in Idaho, after first year in college I sold everything and bought a greyhound ticket to Seattle and started stomping docks. Did a couple stints on factory trawlers and made deck hand pretty quick. After that I started bouncing around from crabbers to draggers to tenders. Whatever season it happened to be. 8 years and alot of broken bones later I gave away my raingear and headed home.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing to keep in mind should you choose to go on an ocean cruise is that most cruise ships are cruise ships, NOT ocean liners.

A true ocean liner is built to handle heavier weather.   It has a lower center of gravity and higher sides and is built more strongly to

handle the big weather and waves that are not at all rare on the high seas.     Most modern super high occupancy cruise ships would be

well advised to avoid weather that a true ocean liner was built to handle.

I'm not saying that cruise ships are unsafe...but they're intended for fair to moderate weather conditions.  Taking them through big

Northern Atlantic storms could have drastic consequences.

Ships that are rigged to handle the big stuff are easy to spot.   Practically everything is bolted down and there are retaining sides on every counter and all cabinet doors have latches on them.    

I've cruised and loved it.  I'll do it again...but not during the times of the year (and in the places) where ocean weather is at its worst.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Gordon Lightfoot wrote a song about this.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Nope, a little rocking but nothing even close to that.

I cringed when I saw the forklift going ... !

That guy made the best decision of his life when he decided to go back the other way.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Left Charleston during a storm on a fast attack sub once.  Round things aren't very stable in water.  When the fairwater planes hit the water, the hydraulic were screaming.  We had shit flying out of every hole or cabinet that wasn't closed and locked.  Same when we did angles and dangles.  Never had a dining set chase me across the floor, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
shit... live leak, tag for a computer not at work.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#24]
.... f that

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Nothing on a vessel that large, but I have been airborne on a fly bridge at sea.  Only one time, though––caught myself on the railing/ladder.  Then I held myself down and helped pilot the boat through it.  Freak wave––weather wasn't that bad.  Only a couple of miles off St. Augustine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#26]

WOW..that looks like it could have been just as bad.  That could easily kill someone if you are standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like they forgot to chain down that deck cargo!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I was on an Alaskan cruise years ago that had something similar happen. It was in the evening and the water was pretty calm and nothing seemed out of the ordinary when all of a sudden the ship gradually began to list to port, then kept listing more and more until it was at about a 30 degree list, then finally righted itself. They never said exactly what happened but the rumors from the crew were that we had to turn to avoid a small fishing boat that had no lights. A few passengers had injuries, but I was in my cabin, so all I did was hold onto the edge of the counter-top. All of the stuff on the counter and tables slid off, and there was lots of damage inside the ship to furnishings. ALL of the water in the interior fountains spilled out onto the deck. The many thousands of dollars of alcohol and wine bottles broke, as well as table settings.

I've been on many cruises and several of them have had rough seas(N. Atlantic, British Isles, Baltic sea, E. caribbean) but nothing like that ship. It was obvious the stabilizers were not functioning.

When I went on the Queen Mary 2(a real cruise liner), it was easy to see how much more robust and sea worthy they built her compared to a typical cruise ship.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

I Just about barfed just watching the hallway flex left and right up and down...  Ugh....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#30]
The lobby looks kind of fun.

The garage not so much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Is it wrong that I laughed hysterically at people being tossed around like that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is it wrong that I laughed hysterically at people being tossed around like that?

I hope not, because my co workers and I were laughing like a bunch of hyenas.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#33]

That kind of flexing and twisting is part of what caused the Edmund Fitzgerald to sink. (That, and taking on water from waves sweeping over leaking hatches.)

It broke in half, and sank so fast the crew didn't have time to do anything. They probably didn't even know they were in trouble until they were on their way down.

Long, narrow ships = my ass on land...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]
After The Perfect Storm was released, a lot of friends aked how bad the weather I had been in was.

I said "Bad enough we couldn't stand there with a fucking camera to film it"

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Born and raised in Idaho, after first year in college I sold everything and bought a greyhound ticket to Seattle and started stomping docks. Did a couple stints on factory trawlers and made deck hand pretty quick. After that I started bouncing around from crabbers to draggers to tenders. Whatever season it happened to be. 8 years and alot of broken bones later I gave away my raingear and headed home.

You sir have awesome stories. So what do you do now?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Exciting

I'd like to see the super wave that hit a Cruise ship in 2008.  People on the 10th floor rooms were almost sucked out
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just need to get your sealegs wings landlubbers.

fixed
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Never having been on an ocean boat myself, I think what's most surprising about these CRUISE ship videos is how quickly it goes from looking like normal,,,,,,,,,, to stuff sliding around.

I realize most of the people can't see out a window, but you'd think there'd be more warning. More of a gradual increase in the waves and the leaning.....

I would expect that they would announce something, like "we're heading into a big storm, and you may wish to return to your cabins".

'Course, I know that anything they say about bad weather would make some people run for the lifeboats, but jeez......
~
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Isn't that why it's called "Adventure Cruising".
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I lol'd till I saw that fork lift
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Worst seas I've encountered were off the coast of NY while aboard T/S State of Maine in January. Largest recorded roll was 42.5*. Every single vidmar in the tech manual library broke free from its foundation. All we could do was close the door and come back when the weather was better.

Oh SHIT!!!!!

Vidmars are NOT light.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top