Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#1]
tell ya what .. ive worked OT like nothing..

now i changed jobs.  

no OT involved..

amazing the stuff i get to do now .. that i didnt even know i wanted to do cause i was always working.,

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try being salaried and not getting paid for overtime.

Union! Union! Union!

No way, I get compensated very well without someone else speaking for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]
A steady diet of overtime is about the second most unproductive use of employees.  Only about 3 weeks is required until you start seeing 48 productive hours per week.

The managers like to use the "but it's paid overtime", and give the when told my time after 40 hours is worth more than the differential, which is a long way from time and a half.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#4]
There isn't a week that goes by where I'm not working at least 60 hours a week, between my 3 jobs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My company is so generous that they let me work ALL I WANT!

But I get paid nothing extra for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I like OT and work it whenever it is possible. During the summer I can usually work as much as I want since I'm one of the few HVAC guys in the shop.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked a lot of overtime last year and since I'm salaried, it's unpaid. Then my performance bonus at the end of the year was the same or lower than people who worked and accomplished far less.

This year, I'm not going to be quite so gung ho, and will be doing some job shopping.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
FREAKING CRY BABY!

400 HOURS IS 8 MORE HOURS PER WEEK.  THAT IS A LOW END WORK WEEK FOR ANY TYPE OF PROFESSIONAL OUTSIDE OF LAZY ASS GOVT TIT SUCKERS, MOST LEO EXCLUDED.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
whats this thing you call OT i thought we work until the job is done? We are rewarded at the end of year bonus
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FREAKING CRY BABY!

400 HOURS IS 8 MORE HOURS PER WEEK.  THAT IS A LOW END WORK WEEK FOR ANY TYPE OF PROFESSIONAL OUTSIDE OF LAZY ASS GOVT TIT SUCKERS, MOST LEO EXCLUDED.

Well big bad tough guy, I guess reading comprehension is not your SPECIALTY.

I said that there not be a review of the situation until 400 hours.

If you want to work more, by all means you work till you fall dead, I don't care.  That is not what I want to do.  I would actually like to see my wife sometime.  

I see all these posts bragging about how many hours they are putting in at work, I wonder how much damage is done at home, and all the money you make won't be worth it when they are giving it all the their new ex-wife's lawyer.

I have worked 130 hours of OT so far this year, and since I am such a cry baby I won't mention that I was a full-time 'A' student up till the 4/10/07, when I earned my DEGREE all on my dime, so tell me again how lazy ass I am.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
whats this thing you call OT i thought we work until the job is done? We are rewarded at the end of year bonus

I don't GET a bonus.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't GET a bonus.

Yeah, me either...

Crap, I have a hard time taking the vacation time that I have earned.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Pulled almost 30K in OT last year. Paid off all loans, and paid down the house. Roth and 401K, Bought cheap ammo.

Hopefully won't work that much this year, and I'm pretty much done buying toys and such. won't buy much ammo either.

It's not so much the OT as it is the 24/7 on call where you do your shift, then get called several times a night resulting in just a few hours of unbroken sleep a night plus waiting for the phone or beeper to go off, it just wears you out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Pulled almost 30K in OT last year. Paid off all loans, and paid down the house. Roth and 401K, Bought cheap ammo.

I plan on working as much OT as I can to pay as much down as I can. Next year will be a 30K cut in pay and I want to pay down whatever I can before then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll work close to 1000 hours OT this year; as most years.

two weeks ago- we had a lull- only 53 hrs.

Big job hits today- unlimited OT next eight weeks. 600hrs =$18600

Sitting there looking at a computer drawing pictures of machines with Solidworks.

If I don't keep running I'll gain 600 pounds

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Not that much here, getting 5 hrs this week but thats uncommon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I average 10 hours of OT a week.

This week has been below average.

I get time and a half after 8 hours per day, great union gig, for the best package delivery company out there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I will abuse and take any and all OT when available
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I average 10 hours of OT a week.

This week has been below average.

I get time and a half after 8 hours per day, great union gig, for the best package delivery company out there.

So you work for Playgirl?

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
100 hours OT already. Have to get the job done. Then the Boss bitches because it wasn't done fast enough.
And on-call  sucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't mind doing OT to get a job out, that is not what we are doing anymore.  We are taking more work than we can actually handle and the short staff is supposed to just get it done no matter how long you have to work to get it out.  It has become the standard operating model.

As to the money, there is a point were I actually make less money per hour (bring home) due to higher taxes.  I would rather have the time than the extra money anyway, I don't need to impress anyone here so I would rather just put my 40 in and get out of here.

Max out your 401K at 15K a year or whatever it is now and the taxes won't hurt as bad I've had mine at 25% which maxes me out for the last 4 yrs. I'm on pace to have over $300K in it by the time I'm 35 not bad IMHO.

+1 Gazillion!!!!!!!!!!

I did that for 1.5 years, over 10 years ago.  You should see my investment portfolio today  Worked so much OT the first year, Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid deductions were maxxed out within 8 months.  Also, had 10% put into company stock options at 15% less than offer (back during semiconductor boom).

Man, those were the days.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I find OT adictive, its not even the money part, gives me something to do.

Looking at a 2nd job now to kill time
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How can you be that bored?

Call dpmmn, he will keep you busy for many hours.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you be that bored?

Call dpmmn, he will keep you busy for many hours.

I cant sit idle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#25]
wish I got paid for OT..sometimes being salary sucks...but sometimes its good when I wanna take off and not worry...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I get paid bi-weekly and usually get 10-20 hrs OT.

I have started keeping track of it on an Excel spreadsheet.

I already realized there is a point when taxes start screwing you over and the gains become less and less.

I've gone so far as to come up with some charts and graphs.

total hours worked vs. take home pay used various functions. linear, poly, log

Data so far is inconclusive (data density is low since I just started).

So far it seems that if you work over 4-5 hrs. OT a week you take home less and less money each hour

one paycheck I had 12 hrs OT the next nearly 20 the difference in take home pay what much less then I expected.

Soon I will have calculated and targeted the optimal amount of OT for my pay/tax situation

Then I will rule the world.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
5 tens and 2 eights right now.  Talking about 5 twelves and 2 tens.  It really is sad.  Some people love it but I hate it.  I am a tight wad by most peoples sayings but I hate ot.  It is not worth hurting my family, friend or me time.  The really sad part is that not a damn thing more gets done because you have a bunch of pissed tired people walking around.  The really funny part is the fact that I work for the French.  LOL you know they work tons of ot over there LOLOLOLOLOLOl.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to be able to work 10-12 hours of overtime a pay period, 2 weeks, more people got hired and the OT got cut.  I am going to miss that extra couple hundred bucks every paycheck and it was only like an hour extra everday.  Now I feel like I am leaving early after an 8 hour day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
14 hours this week… wifes not too impressed

ANdy

Sorry about that.  But where I live (Detroit) if you're pulling OT, you stop your bitching.  his area has teh second worst economy, and jobs that allow OT are even scarcer.

Consider yourself lucky,try to juggle it, and enjoy the extra cash.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys get your OT lumped in one paycheck or seperate? I'm salary but get OT when asked. They give us separate checks for it. Can you imagine the look o my face when they deduct taxes from it.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I am 'exempt', I don't get paid for 'overtime'.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You guys get your OT lumped in one paycheck or seperate? I'm salary but get OT when asked. They give us separate checks for it. Can you imagine the look o my face when they deduct taxes from it.....

Last check I payed more in taxes than I usually bring home in a 40 hour week.......boy I miss 3rd shift.......32.50 hours a week and get payed for 40.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Did it for ten years almost.  ~450 hours per year.  Just finished my Bachelors which took me the past 6 years to complete.  Told my old company Buh Bye!  Thanks for the education!  I just started a new job with minimal to no overtime.  Pay is a little less but the stress and aggravation is no where near what my last job was.  I actually enjoy going to work again.  If my new job turns into a pit of overtime doom I'll drag up again.  I want to spend more time with my family now.  Overtime is for young people, of which I no longer am...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I already realized there is a point when taxes start screwing you over and the gains become less and less.

So far it seems that if you work over 4-5 hrs. OT a week you take home less and less money each hour

one paycheck I had 12 hrs OT the next nearly 20 the difference in take home pay what much less then I expected.

Soon I will have calculated and targeted the optimal amount of OT for my pay/tax situation

I did the exact same thing, I discovered that if I worked 28 hours OT in a bi-weekly pay structure that I would have to work till 36 hours to make one more dollar take home. That is why OT makes me mad, you don't make the mad cash that you think you do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Overtime the Double Edged Sword

I probably work around 500 hours a year give or take
It's nice to be able to make the extra money it's just hard to be there

We had a guy whose set the record for OT with around 4000 hours in a year !
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#36]
My father worked in a plant for GM many years ago.  he knew a guy who had a new house, new Trans Am, his wife had a new Yukon, he had all the best cameras, or whatever hobby he was into that month.  It sounded to me like he was really in trouble with credit cards.

To the tune of $100,000.

This guy was working all the OT he could get.  I have no idea how he remained human, since it sounded like he was doing it month after month, year after year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I typically work 50+ hours/wk.  I am not compensated for this time, but that is recognized as the norm in my line of work.  As salaried employees, we work for a flat fee and spend whatever time is required to fully support our clients.

Sometimes I take some comp time.  But other times...I don't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#38]
72 hours last week alone @ $55/hr

I did 10 straight 12 hour nights got 1 day off and back of 3 nights.

We have built in OT in the Dupont schedule we work but a power plant requires 24/7 operation.

For the last 6 years Operators in my classification here have out earned all plant management and a few VP's
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I wish that I could work 50-55 hrs a week. I'd rather than get overtime than a good bonus.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
My father worked in a plant for GM many years ago.  he knew a guy who had a new house, new Trans Am, his wife had a new Yukon, he had all the best cameras, or whatever hobby he was into that month.  It sounded to me like he was really in trouble with credit cards.

To the tune of $100,000.

This guy was working all the OT he could get.  I have no idea how he remained human, since it sounded like he was doing it month after month, year after year.

He probably got paid for 70 hours a week but only actually worked 35.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FREAKING CRY BABY!

If you want to work more, by all means you work till you fall dead, I don't care.  That is not what I want to do.  I would actually like to see my wife sometime.  

I see all these posts bragging about how many hours they are putting in at work, I wonder how much damage is done at home, and all the money you make won't be worth it when they are giving it all the their new ex-wife's lawyer.

I have worked 130 hours of OT so far this year, and since I am such a cry baby I won't mention that I was a full-time 'A' student up till the 4/10/07, when I earned my DEGREE all on my dime, so tell me again how lazy ass I am.

1]  Alot of good the degree did you; you are on a freakin gun board whining about OT.  You sound like Nancy Pelosi arguing to allow illegals for jobs that Americans won't do.

2]  Apparently mommy neutered you.  Go talk to the boss or find a job that will let you decide when you feel like working.

3] Oh, you paid for your education, awl by yourself...awwwww.   I paid for my car all by myself, my house, my guns, my jewelry, my wifes car.  Nobody owes you nothing, not even your parents once you make it to 18.  So quit whining about this too, or should I call you a waaaaambulance?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#43]
The only thing that scares me is a 40 hour week- 50-60 is the norm on the western slope.  In May we are going to try 4 twelves, three off.  Be like a vacation!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#44]
What's with the Structural Engineer/Drafter discussion? That part confused me.

OT is always nice, but you don't want to burn yourself out over a buck.

OT when you are working alone or with a couple people is nice, but working with a full staff is just like regular work and sucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Hell, I wish I had a damn job and get regular hours.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FREAKING CRY BABY!

1]  Alot of good the degree did you; you are on a freakin gun board whining about OT.  You sound like Nancy Pelosi arguing to allow illegals for jobs that Americans won't do.

2]  Apparently mommy neutered you.  Go talk to the boss or find a job that will let you decide when you feel like working.

3] Oh, you paid for your education, awl by yourself...awwwww.   I paid for my car all by myself, my house, my guns, my jewelry, my wifes car.  Nobody owes you nothing, not even your parents once you make it to 18.  So quit whining about this too, or should I call you a waaaaambulance?

You really impress me

I am going on to a better job.

I would try to explain what the problem is but you are clearly way to smart to learn anything.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:

from my experience after 8-10 hrs. OT the taxes kill you

rather stay at home and play with willie
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
72 hours last week alone @ $55/hr

I did 10 straight 12 hour nights got 1 day off and back of 3 nights.

We have built in OT in the Dupont schedule we work but a power plant requires 24/7 operation.

For the last 6 years Operators in my classification here have out earned all plant management and a few VP's

$55/hr??  hmmm???  150k++++ a year you have a good job
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:15:31 AM EDT
[#49]
am i wrong but i always thought that legally overtime "over 40hrs/wk" had to be paid as time and a half unless you are salary or comission??
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#50]
No, there are some jobs that are exempt from OT.  Usually professional occupations which is why most of them are salary.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top