Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It's funny so see "gun owners" on a gun website attack open carry, Is it practical? Usually not - usually concealed carry is a better method in my opinion. Is it a Constitutional right? Yes. Only those who fear the exercise of individual liberty would so vigorously attack a known right. Some here secretly (or openly) hate freedom - they feel warm and fuzzy at the thought of gubment keeping them safe (utopian dream at best).

No, and I'll explain if you'll listen. Many of us here have worked very hard for the political gains made over the last few years and don't want to see us sunk in the court of public opinion.

You want a good analogy? How do you feel about gay pride parades? Do they make you more empathetic to gays or less? Why or why not?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's funny so see "gun owners" on a gun website attack open carry, Is it practical? Usually not - usually concealed carry is a better method in my opinion. Is it a Constitutional right? Yes. Only those who fear the exercise of individual liberty would so vigorously attack a known right. Some here secretly (or openly) hate freedom - they feel warm and fuzzy at the thought of gubment keeping them safe (utopian dream at best).

No, and I'll explain if you'll listen. Many of us here have worked very hard for the political gains made over the last few years and don't want to see us sunk in the court of public opinion.

You want a good analogy? How do you feel about gay pride parades? Do they make you more empathetic to gays or less? Why or why not?

So you are comparing a Citizen going about his daily business while OC to an organized OC rally???

Or are you the guy that cringes when you see two men who you recognize as being "together".  Don't hey enjoy freedom of association?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The relative merits of open carrying in public venues have been debated on here many times.  The conclusion has always been the same, pretty much: Individuals who open carry are the same as the individuals who have loud pipes on their motorcycles--attention whores.

WTF are you talking about? I've seen no such consensus reached here or elsewhere.

Quoted:
Except in rare cases, open carry is much more about an adolescent need to feel "special" than a viable political tactic. It invariably hurts us more than helps us politically.

You have the right to shove it in the fence-sitter's faces...that doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Where do you get this crap? Just making it up as you go along or have actual evidence instead of opinion?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]

So you are comparing a Citizen going about his daily business while OC to an organized OC rally???

Phoenix or Alexandria?

Or are you the guy that cringes when you see two men who you recognize as being "together". Don't hey enjoy freedom of association?

San Francisco or Montgomery?

You getting my point?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Those comments on the statesman's website remind me why I never hang out downtown.  Damn liberals infesting the capitol like locusts, destroying everything they come across.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Scare a bunch of soccer moms with their kids...that's a great way to get them on your side!  

Education via fear and confrontation is ludicrous.  

If the OC retards had any idea how ridiculous they look OCing....it is an embarrassment to responsible gun owners.  

Yea,some OC retard might shoot himself with a Glock .40, wait a minute that was a highly trained  BATFE Agent. In front of Children.            
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The more I read about OC, the more I think it is a good thing.  It's a good thing as the Boise police department and other public employees have gotten an education on the law. Rights not excercised are lost. OC is more common in the more remote parts of this state...not as much around Boise.

The folks mentioned in the article are solid citizens....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Scare a bunch of soccer moms with their kids...that's a great way to get them on your side!  

If the OC retards had any idea how ridiculous they look OCing....it is an embarrassment to responsible gun owners.  
I am speechless.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
How many times have we had LEO say" It's the law, don't like it change it.

If open carry is legal, it's the law and should be followed or changed.

The first LEO to post. called OC's retards.

For following the law.    
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:50:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How many times have we had LEO say" It's the law, don't like it change it.

If open carry is legal, it's the law and should be followed or changed.

The first LEO to post. called OC's retards.

For following the law.    

That is exactly what will happen...piss off the general public that otherwise woundn't care either way and see where you get yourself.

The entire OC movement has to be the most juvenile attempt to flex their faux testosterone in the history of firearms.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If the soccer moms want to clutch their children and run at the first sight of someone that is open carrying, them let them.  Nothing is going to change their minds.  Let's face it, you can't win everyone over.   But, if you can show the others that there's nothing wrong with OC, and that anyone could really do it, then I'm all for what they did.  

There weren't soccer moms in the 1860's and a lot of people open carried back then.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

yeah, because hiding your rights away in a closet and pretending they don't exist is the correct course of action to educate the public.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We disagree as usual.  I think it's good they are exercising their rights.  I think it's good if they go out in public & let people know open carry is ok, legal, and normal.  If enough people did it the soccer moms would see guns as normal & ignore them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Except in rare cases, open carry is much more about an adolescent need to feel "special" than a viable political tactic. It invariably hurts us more than helps us politically.

You have the right to shove it in the fence-sitter's faces...that doesn't necessarily mean you should.

yeah! a lot of good that's done for the gays...

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the more important question is: did they work?

the fact that "my two mommies" is read to preschool kids across the nation would seem to be a resounding "yes".

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The relative merits of open carrying in public venues have been debated on here many times.  The conclusion has always been the same, pretty much: Individuals who open carry are the same as the individuals who have loud pipes on their motorcycles--attention whores.

I like having my gun on my hip, but also wear my shirt tucked in...that makes it kinda hard to conceal.

So, in your book, that makes me an attention whore.

Jesus...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Fed DC makes one lil post and everyone looses their mind.  Grow up.  I can't take him seriously on subjects like this.  I do think he has a lot to add in the area of tactics and training etc.

[://

I don't see that his opinions on hot button topics are based on logic, nor does he always, in my experience, back up his opinions with detailed analysis.  (See:  shooting at a snake in a tree may lead to an accident but its not, in any way, criminally negligent if a person is killed.)

Its almost like he does it to get a reaction from those he considers "the usual suspects."  
YMMV

Regarding the comparison to "gay pride" parades, I think that's actually pretty interesting.

We've all been trapped downtown in a city while one of these things swishes by.

Yes, we all roll our eyes and wonder where they shop to find those horrific eye piercing get ups, but .... it also inures us to seeing gay people.  Really "out there" and "weird" gay people make Seth from accounting and his boyfriend Zack seem pretty normal.

"Gay pride" parades often showcase the most alternative of alternatives.  Likewise, open carry events showcase people who want to proudly exercise their right to keep and bear arms.

I do not open carry because I'd rather keep a low profile.  (Does this make me a Seth from accounting?  )  That said, I think people who open carry make gun owning easier because they are inuring the masses to the sight of firearms.

YMMV

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#20]
If I'm banging around the yard I sometimes carry with an IWB "M-Tac" holster with my shirt tucked in. Is that OC or CC? I don't give a rat's butt. It's a decent way to carry without needing a shirt flapping around and I don't get my gun hung up and banged around on stuff as I work. Yup, even carry that way into Walmart. Sometimes there seems to be an unusual amount of "associates" hanging around, but I've had women and kids behind me in line and they either didn't notice or didn't care.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top