[#1]
OC crowd is a bunch of puckwads.

Rot in jail you loser asshole.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's poke the fire here a little.

Let's say you are home, and look out on the sidewalk, and 4 Black Panthers are standing around marching up and down in front of your home with AR-15's and AK 47's, maybe even a billy club or two. Your wife and kids are on the way home from picking them up at school.

You going to make them coffee? You going to call the cops? You going to confront them?

After all, they ARE on public property exercising their constitutional rights!

The problem with sense these days is it is not so COMMON!
View Quote

What are the cops going to do if they're breaking no law?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And the officer asked him "can you tell me the specifics of the case" at which point they guy chokes on gold fringe.  The officer was rightfully trying to determine if this could conflict with legal business at the federal courthouse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WA is very straight forward when it comes to open carry. Every department in the state is well informed about it at this point. He might be a douche, but he was well within his rights with his actions. The officers were wrong.

If he wants to intimidate witnesses or support intergalactic voting rights on WA property, that's probably a WA issue.  

If he chooses to do so on federal property, then that becomes an issue for the feds and federal law.  While there are specific laws specifically forbidding firearms inside federal buildings, there are other aspects of the US Code regarding interfering with witnesses and so forth - the guy sounded like he was making reference to an ongoing case and that's problematic.

It did not sound like he was reference to an ongoing case. The DHS scholar asks if he's making a 2dAm statement and he replies that they are actually there to support a group for the 10thAm.

If it is legal to carry arms in that place (no one has cited any law that says it's not) and it's legal to protest there, it's legal to carry arms there while protesting. There would have to be witnesses present for someone to interfere with a witness. Note, please, that  he was not arrested for witness intimidation or anything of the sort, but was arrested under a statute that does not criminalize his conduct.

And the officer asked him "can you tell me the specifics of the case" at which point they guy chokes on gold fringe.  The officer was rightfully trying to determine if this could conflict with legal business at the federal courthouse.

By arresting him when he broke no law?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Let's poke the fire here a little.

Let's say you are home, and look out on the sidewalk, and 4 Black Panthers are standing around marching up and down in front of your home with AR-15's and AK 47's, maybe even a billy club or two. Your wife and kids are on the way home from picking them up at school.

You going to make them coffee? You going to call the cops? You going to confront them?

After all, they ARE on public property exercising their constitutional rights!

The problem with sense these days is it is not so COMMON!
View Quote

I'm guessing it wouldn't take more than me standing at my front door and saying 1 word to get them to be at my doorstep and then we have a whole different ballgame.

But I live in the country and my house is not viewable from the road and I don't have to see shenanigans like that. If I can see it from my door then they are close enough that I am well within my rights to force them to leave.

To answer your question they are not breaking the law so the cops could and should not do a thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

18 U.S. Code § 930

(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WA is very straight forward when it comes to open carry. Every department in the state is well informed about it at this point. He might be a douche, but he was well within his rights with his actions. The officers were wrong.

If he wants to intimidate witnesses or support intergalactic voting rights on WA property, that's probably a WA issue.  

If he chooses to do so on federal property, then that becomes an issue for the feds and federal law.  While there are specific laws specifically forbidding firearms inside federal buildings, there are other aspects of the US Code regarding interfering with witnesses and so forth - the guy sounded like he was making reference to an ongoing case and that's problematic.

It did not sound like he was reference to an ongoing case. The DHS scholar asks if he's making a 2dAm statement and he replies that they are actually there to support a group for the 10thAm.

If it is legal to carry arms in that place (no one has cited any law that says it's not) and it's legal to protest there, it's legal to carry arms there while protesting. There would have to be witnesses present for someone to interfere with a witness. Note, please, that  he was not arrested for witness intimidation or anything of the sort, but was arrested under a statute that does not criminalize his conduct.

18 U.S. Code § 930

(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.

The power to prohibit is not the power to criminalize.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shall not be infringed is what it should be. But, we have folks who look for attention and act surprised when they get it.

ETA: watched. He was in the right, but he could have walked away and made his case at a later time. He chose the hard way.
View Quote

If you just turn and walk away every time your dog shits on the carpet there's always going to be shit on your carpet.
If you want LEO to follow the law vs "do it because I said so" then it's going to take people like this guy.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
He is an idiot. He was given the chance to leave Federal Property and go to City Property, the sidewalk by the street, and he chose not to leave.

I doubt he gets paid. Neither a cop or a lawyer but, I believe they can detain you without charging you for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So, Black Panthers with billy clubs standing in front of polling places ... they're just exercising their 2nd amendment rights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No wonder gun owners are f*cked.  Even our own will eat one another.

<sarcasm> That guy has no reason to be open carrying! That idiot!  Who does he think he is exercising his "right"!?</sarcasm>

Don't bring a gun to a federal courthouse and tell officials that you are there in support/opposition to some specific case.

I forgot about the Federal exemptions to rights.  Sorry.

So, Black Panthers with billy clubs standing in front of polling places ... they're just exercising their 2nd amendment rights?

Wow. I never noticed that you jumped all into these threads and took them over.

The more you know.

Why does it upset you so much?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He is an idiot. He was given the chance to leave Federal Property and go to City Property, the sidewalk by the street, and he chose not to leave.

I doubt he gets paid. Neither a cop or a lawyer but, I believe they can detain you without charging you for 24 hours.
View Quote

That power presumably comes with a probable cause that you violated an actual law.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So it was legal for him to do so, but he was arrested anyways? And some here support his arrest?
View Quote

Yep, the same folks who use the phrase "I don't need a gun that sprays bullets all over the woods to hunt" I would imagine.

I can understand "stop and question" being outside a federal .gov building there is the potential for shenanigans being afoot, but the arrest was wrong.

He is also an attention whore who got attention.

The takeaway is, the .gov fucked up though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That power presumably comes with a probable cause that you violated an actual law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhh. He even gave a disclaimer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So it was legal for him to do so, but he was arrested anyways? And some here support his arrest?
View Quote

Yep... some amongst like to lick boots.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 usc 930 part F. Looks clear to me. Guy was given the chance to leave. The bit about when he was in custody is a he said she said situation.

This whole Patriot Act anti terrorism thing gave the state too much power.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks to me like more thugs guys with badges pushing citizens around. And the fact that they released him with no charges pretty much confirms that.

ETA: These agents weren't thugs, they were professional. They were just wrong.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Gold fringe all up in this piece!

Definitely not any SC wackadoodles in the greater Spokane area.  Nope, not a one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It must be akin to beaten women that won't leave their man.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Carry your fucking gun. "

Irony.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

some CCW folks are just selfish, their thinking is as long as they can CCW so they are covered, don't poke the bear please, they are not really true pro 2A
as long as it's legal to do so, OC has just as much right as CCW
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
18 usc 930 part F. Looks clear to me. Guy was given the chance to leave. The bit about when he was in custody is a he said she said situation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I see you don't actually know and are just parroting what someone else said.  Let's read more of 18 USC 930.  Specifically part that makes it illegal and not part that clarifies the scope:
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

Is it your opinion that the gentleman was "in a federal facility" at the time of his arrest?

Code text
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#22]
If you do stupid shit, stupid shit's going to happen to you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not sure if kwikrnu v. Milky Way Galaxy is applicable in this instance, but it's worth a look.
View Quote

OK... I didn't read the rest of the thread yet, but you win the internet today.  I laughed hard on this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Lived in Spokane, open carried more than once.  Here's a hint...it's legal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Question.

So lets say he carries a rifle, slung, around the outside of the property.  Nothing happens.  LE looks at him, maybe waves and then ignores him.  What has been accomplished?

They "learned their lesson" not to mess with him?  The people who drove past and most likely didn't even notice he had a firearm are taught what...?  The masses are safer because he was ignored?

Lets stipulate to it being legal.  Whats the point?  Attention?  Exercising his rights?  Okay.  Could have done that at the piggly wiggly...it looks and smells of attention-whoring....

Just askin'...
View Quote

you know how people get comfortable with things the more they are exposed to them?

how about the general public gets comfortable with gun owners open carrying when they see cops acknowledging peoples' 2A rights rather than perpetuating the idea that every person with a gun in public means to harm those around....
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

18 U.S. Code § 930

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 U.S. Code § 930

the Irony of this US CODE is that it possibly tramples all over WA CODE regarding carrying of firearms.  maybe that was the 10A point he was trying to make?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you just turn and walk away every time your dog shits on the carpet there's always going to be shit on your carpet.
If you want LEO to follow the law vs "do it because I said so" then it's going to take people like this guy.

View Quote

he is an hero.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you know how people get comfortable with things the more they are exposed to them?

how about the general public gets comfortable with gun owners open carrying when they see cops acknowledging peoples' 2A rights rather than perpetuating the idea that every person with a gun in public means to harm those around....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question.

So lets say he carries a rifle, slung, around the outside of the property.  Nothing happens.  LE looks at him, maybe waves and then ignores him.  What has been accomplished?

They "learned their lesson" not to mess with him?  The people who drove past and most likely didn't even notice he had a firearm are taught what...?  The masses are safer because he was ignored?

Lets stipulate to it being legal.  Whats the point?  Attention?  Exercising his rights?  Okay.  Could have done that at the piggly wiggly...it looks and smells of attention-whoring....

Just askin'...

+1

his view is very much like anti's view of gun owners, why do you need guns? Whats the point?  Attention?...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question.

Just askin'...

Been a couple times where I walked to the hunting area, rifle slung, pistol belt with knives.  The safety vest (required when actually hunting) in the pack.  Along county, city, and state roads.  Never had any issues.  Can understand the OCT folks getting worked up for the simple fact that there is nothing wrong with doing so.  And yet, even I think they get stupid about it, at times.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Interrogation?

He should not have said anything to them other than "Fuck You". That should be the answer to every question for hours on end.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Was he on federal property or city?

Not excusing what sounds to me Miranda violations out the yin yang, but those violations may actually have contributed more to his release than any single person's sudden realization "Hey, there's a Second Amendment to that Constitution thing....".

If the situation was as described and they'd charged him? Then it's paycheck time.
View Quote

I suspect he was released because some literate person told the buffoons who arrested him what 18 USC s.930 actually says.

False Arrest is actionable whether the victim is charged or not.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Got that stupid song in my head now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I would say it depends is the property the federal building is on is it exclusive or concurrent jurisdiction, or does the gov have just proprietary jurisdiction (doesnt accept any criminal jurisdiction over it) Also you are dealing with different agencies there a uniformed division and the US Marshal it was the Marshall who hooked him up probably could use Title 18 USC 111 articulate the facts couldnt see what the Marshal saw since wife was filming the popo until the detention, The uniform division may or may not have the 111 authority I am guessing not though. ..It will be interesting to see my guess is guy ends up on a list and gets nothing out of it....Also guess is he wasnt detained for the weapon exclusively though that played into and made the rest easy to the Marshal totality of the circumstances.....hence the statement by the FBI of further charges possible...who knows though see how it plays out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

And fuck his Miranda rights too!

SMH
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Of all of the rifles to carry, an AK?

Seriously?

He wanted to get detained.
View Quote

That.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
DHS is at the top of the list of agencies we need to get rid of
View Quote

You know (then again, apparently, you don't know), DHS isn't just DHS.  Those particular guys were Federal Protective Service, and they are basically security for federal buildings.  The fellow in the shirt with the little 5-pointed star in a circle who actually arrested the "2A" guy was a Deputy US Marshal (not DHS, but DOJ).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#38]
IBTL.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the law the FPS guy quoted applies to inside the court building, so he may have thought he was right, but I'm pretty sure the AUSA told them they had nothing, and to flush the case.  AUSA here in Tucson won't take anything but a slam dunk.  God forbid they actually have to lawyer.  All they want is a plea, so they get the stat of a conviction.

ETA: I missed the subsection (f) that the other folks here have addressed.  That's pretty much a catch-all because the chief justice / senior judge in that district is basically God on courthouse grounds and has broad leeway to make local regulations.  Hence, the contempt of court language in that subsection.  Who knows, aside from those who were there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#40]
The guy was there protesting a marijuana trial. He had an ak and g17, his wife had an AR and his kids had .22s.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Victim is likely a dipshit, but the DHS shitheads should be fired, arrested, and tried, for ignorance and making a false arrest, and jailed for battery and false imprisonment.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Victim is likely a dipshit, but the DHS shitheads should be fired, arrested, and tried, for ignorance and making a false arrest, and jailed for battery and false imprisonment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FIFY

ETA: And the part from the OP that damns them is this:
they told him that he would not be speaking to a lawyer of any kind, let alone one of his choosing. The idea of access to legal counsel as secured by the Constitution, he was told, was "Hollywood stuff.”
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I see you don't actually know and are just parroting what someone else said.  Let's read more of 18 USC 930.  Specifically part that makes it illegal and not part that clarifies the scope:

Is it your opinion that the gentleman was "in a federal facility" at the time of his arrest?

Code text
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

Code text

he was in the area cited in the other code section.  Notice the one you posted says "other than a Federal Court Facility"

In any , as an EXAMPLE, may not be the same in other states

(a) A peace officer may arrest a person in obedience to a warrant, or, pursuant to the authority granted to him or her by Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, without a warrant, may arrest a person whenever any of the following circumstances occur:

(1) The officer has probable cause to believe that the person to be arrested has committed a public offense in the officer’s presence.

When the law says Thou shalt not carry in the courthouse or the grounds attached thereto"  And some bozo brings a gun on to said grounds, and gives a knucklehead answer, most people will believe they have probable cause to detain or arrest for suspicion of breaking the Federal Code section quoted back up there someplace.  He isn't going to get any money.  You aren't going to find a jury to find  favorably on his behalf, let alone award big bucks
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

So how "appurtenant" do you have to be? On the property leased or owned by the gov? Within 100 feet? Within 100 miles? Who decides that?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not sure if kwikrnu v. Milky Way Galaxy is applicable in this instance, but it's worth a look.
View Quote

lol. how is he doing these days? he is by far an expert level troll in real life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If they are questioning you about a crime, refuse to let you leave and refuse you access to counsel after you specifically invoked your right to it?

I wouldn't even bother with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interrogation?

He should not have said anything to them other than "Fuck You". That should be the answer to every question for hours on end.

If they are questioning you about a crime, refuse to let you leave and refuse you access to counsel after you specifically invoked your right to it?

I wouldn't even bother with that.

Agreed but I always feel better giving some kind of answer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#47]
There is a lot of assumption that he was hooked up over 18 USC 930 but that was stated by the uniformed division. The US Marshal was the one who detained him and never said what it was for. I have my ideas but I wasnt there and couldnt see what the Marshal saw but I am sure it didnt have to do with the property unless the fed had exclusive jurisdiction I dont know, but it didnt have to be for the reason the Uniformed officer stated....
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

lol. how is he doing these days? he is by far an expert level troll in real life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to be an occasional "guest contributor" to legal textbooks ...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Aoc9UJ-yNRUJ:www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/12a0293p-06.pdf+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
We recently had a member quote a section of his law textbook specifically citing the above case.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So how "appurtenant" do you have to be? On the property leased or owned by the gov? Within 100 feet? Within 100 miles? Who decides that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The grounds - so that would be limited to the real property owned/leased by the federal government.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#50]
So if congress does not fund DHS, can this guy still sue them for the multiple violations of his rights?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top