*Never gonna stop, give it up
Such a dirty mind, always get it up
For the touch of the younger kind
My my my i yi woo
My my my my Sharia

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Will be found to be unconstitutional for singling out Sharia Law v. Catholic/Jewish/etc law;

To the credit of Christians, Jesus specifically stated that church and state shall be separate ("Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, render unto God that which is God's").

Islam has no concept of this.  It has managed to be pulled off with a degree of some success in countries like Turkey, but take a look at Saudi Arabia if you want to understand the true intent of Islamic/Sharia law as applied to government.

_MaH

ETA:  The awesomeness of my palindrome post immediate defeats all rebuttals to its contents!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It be nice to see what the actual change will be.  I'm concerned, because "It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases"  sounds like it would forbid the courts from using case law.

What I quoted was the exact wording.

What you quoted is what the ballot will say.  What I'd like to see is the exact text that will be inserted into the constitution.  I doubt the phrase "It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases" will be in the constitution.  

True, but that's the part people will be using to vote. The actual amendment is basically dross once the ballots hit the streets.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Islam has no concept of this.  It has managed to be pulled off with a degree of some success in countries like Turkey, but take a look at Saudi Arabia if you want to understand the true intent of Islamic/Sharia law as applied to government.

That is true.  Islam is both a religion and a form of government in some places.  I still think the chances of waking up some morning and seeing on the news that Oklahoma has had some kind of Islamic revolution is about as likely as me waking up next to Nicole Kidman.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Jump the shark ?  LOL, what ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sticky wicket and I don't know if they're playing it right.

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...

Ok, so Little shareef steals from the local supermarket and Imam Mohammed chops off is hand.  Do we prosecute Mohommed?

Yes. Because our laws trump all other laws.

Quoted:
This is why we're our own worst enemy.  You do realize it's already illegal to chop people's hands off regardless of what religion you are, right?

What makes our laws supreme besides the fact that they existed before sharia law in our country?  You can apparently be exempted from the scanners at airports and exempted form the healthcare mandate on a religious basis so why not from other laws?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds good to me.  The feds should be totally supportive of this since it reaffirms that "separation of church and state" thing that they're so fond of.

And so will all the well learnED law students be overjoyed with this too.  They love the courts decision regarding the 1st Am.  Hope they love OK's law because it affirms the separation.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.

They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...

They aren't telling a religion what to do, they are telling the courts that Sharia is a religious matter, and isn't to be taken into account in the courts. This way if a muslim beats the crap out of his wife he will have no protection by claiming that Sharia requires him to beat her when the goat stew is too cold.

Do they have that protection now?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
They aren't jumping a shark, they are stepping on a camel's neck before it gets it's nose under the tent flap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah because sharia law was ever going to be instituted in Oklahoma.  Don't we have better things to do with our time?  

You're not living there, how does it affect you?

Poorly written laws have unintended consequences and that turns into precedent.  If this thing passes and some tool uses it to go on a an anti-Christian crusade don't come crying to me.  

But it already has many times over.  Nothing new.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It be nice to see what the actual change will be.  I'm concerned, because "It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases"  sounds like it would forbid the courts from using case law.

Eh, yeah.  Why can it not just say NO SHARIA LAW.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...

Ok, so Little shareef steals from the local supermarket and Imam Mohammed chops off is hand.  Do we prosecute Mohommed?

Quoted:
This is why we're our own worst enemy.  You do realize it's already illegal to chop people's hands off regardless of what religion you are, right?

What makes our laws supreme besides the fact that they existed before sharia law in our country?  You can apparently be exempted from the scanners at airports and exempted form the healthcare mandate on a religious basis so why not from other laws?

Those laws you're talking about are US laws, not sharia law.  I sure as hell don't want to see sharia law instituted here either, but come on.  There's not a chance in hell of it happening anyway.  The only thing a law like this can accomplish is pissing people off, painting conservatives as bigots, and provide yet another opportunity for unintended consequences.  Do you really believe that Oklahoma is going to have an Islamic revolution?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Fine with me
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't see what specifically stating that the law of the land is our law, and not any other law............especially for a state, which doesn't have international concerns like the feds do.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not so much as jumping the shark.  More like pre-emptive strike.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases.

good
It forbids courts from considering or using international law. It forbids courts from considering or using Sharia Law.

bad

Why even include two things to exclude?  Isn't it enough to say 'only rely on federal and state law'?  Are they trying to leave the door open for scientology law or what?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
looks good to me

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases. It forbids courts from considering or using international law.

good
It forbids courts from considering or using Sharia Law.

bad

Why even include two things to exclude?  Isn't it enough to say 'only rely on federal and state law'?  Are they trying to leave the door open for scientology law or what?

It's one of those "we want to send a message" type bullshit laws.  It's not about accomplishing anything, it's about posturing.  Like when the legislature passes a resolution that says they condemn the kicking of puppies.  Well no shit they don't approve of puppy kicking but just maybe there's a better use of our tax dollars.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#24]
even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Will be found to be unconstitutional for singling out Sharia Law v. Catholic/Jewish/etc law; taxpayers will waste money defending this before the inevitable ass beating when Sharia Law is as big a danger to Oklahoma as all of Oklahoma's tractor pulls being cancelled for Chopin recitals.  

Course if it weren't for stupid people, how would lawyers make their boat payments?

This.

Anyone who thinks Sharia is politically or legally possible in this country probably has an IQ in the low 80s.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah because sharia law was ever going to be instituted in Oklahoma.  Don't we have better things to do with our time?  

But, but, but... Mooslems... booga-booga-booga.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those laws you're talking about are US laws, not sharia law.  I sure as hell don't want to see sharia law instituted here either, but come on.  There's not a chance in hell of it happening anyway.  The only thing a law like this can accomplish is pissing people off, painting conservatives as bigots, and provide yet another opportunity for unintended consequences.  Do you really believe that Oklahoma is going to have an Islamic revolution?

I don't want to see it happen either but it is.  It happened in the UK and has happened in parts of the US already.  IIRC, the supreme court has even referenced international law to make decisions.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What about law on the reservations?

That's not covered by state law, generally.  Reservations are under a completely different system of government, administered by the reservation residents and the feds via the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're already expressing concerns.

I thought reservations were technically sovereign nations and therefore immune to state law anyway?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.

They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...

They aren't telling a religion what to do, they are telling the courts that Sharia is a religious matter, and isn't to be taken into account in the courts. This way if a muslim beats the crap out of his wife he will have no protection by claiming that Sharia requires him to beat her when the goat stew is too cold.

Works for me.

Hey, the 2nd Amendment is still being debated. I just wanted to idiot proof this one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, but, but... Mooslems... booga-booga-booga.

Fucker...

My eight year old is looking at me like I've lost my mind. Worst part is, I'm hearing Eustice in my head while reading it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#32]
This amendment is moronic.

I don't disagree that Islam and Sharia are dangerous, but this is not how you stop it.  The only way to accomplish what they are trying to do to not single out a specific religion, but rather make it clear that no religious law is to be considered as precedent in court.  If they were trying to codify separation of church and state, that is what they would have done.  Clearly, OK is not trying to do that and is simply singling out Islam as being unacceptable in OK.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're already expressing concerns.

I thought reservations were technically sovereign nations and therefore immune to state law anyway?

They are.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because this is the United States of America, where our Constitution is the law of the land...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I think they are on the right track.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Insert "Oklahoma - Fuck Yeah" map here.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

sharia has NO place in civilized society, period.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to see it happen either but it is.  It happened in the UK and has happened in parts of the US already.  IIRC, the supreme court has even referenced international law to make decisions.

Yeah anyone who resists is put in a FEMA coffin.  Thanks for your input, Alex.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#41]
OK continues to impress me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#42]
These little publicized things help fire Okies up and make that electoral map look the way it does. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't see a damn thing wrong with my courts not using other country's laws for judging me and my peers.  I'm glad we have this on the ballot  I'll be voting a big, fat yes on this.

I'd also like to mention we have a vote in this election to make English the official language of the state government.  God Bless Oklahoma!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Awesome.

Good to know if Texas keeps electing libtards, I know where I'll be heading.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah anyone who resists is put in a FEMA coffin.  Thanks for your input, Alex.  

Not an Alex Jones kind of thing, this is really happening throughout Europe.  Anyone who thinks this can't happen doesn't understand Islam at all.  The liberal wing of the SCOTUS frequently refers to international law to support their mental gyrations.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=700176
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Insert "Oklahoma - Fuck Yeah" map here.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/shadowangelx/oklahoma.jpg

So much WIN.

Good for them.

Sharia is a threat to mankind.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I see nothing wrong with the proposal. I like it very much. I'd vote "Yes", so should all Oklahoma voters IMHO
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Times change, people change, Yankees move down from the north (), etc.  If Oklahoma makes the mistake of putting someone in an office or judge position in the future who thinks Islamic laws would be a good reference, this prevents that from happening.  I'm even more excited to vote this year than I was when I thought I would be helping keep Obama out of the presidency.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nope.

Just ahead of their time. Ala Arizona.

Fuck Ya!!!!!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top