Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
HELL YEA I played with legos.

It's sad how all the new lego sets have like 12 pieces, flashing blinky lights, and lame computer controlled operation
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Lego's kicked ass. Anytime the weather was too bad to play outside I either had those, the blocks, or the GI joes out. I've still got all my lego's from the early '80s.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
And tonights bonus question:
Specifically, what kind of plastic are Lego's made of?

ABS
The history channel was on this morning in the GYM

correct, I was watching the same show

Bah, I got it first.

oops I missed the answer on page 1. My bad
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
RustedAce, I think that you need to know about this site.

Brings you to a whole new level

woah awsome!!!!!

I think I have enough legos left over at my parents house though......
img412.imageshack.us/img412/215/p10100049tf.jpg
img412.imageshack.us/img412/759/p10100058yd.jpg
img412.imageshack.us/img412/2780/p10100086hm.jpg

I think my love of putting together ARs is just an extension of lego fever, I mean rails are pretty lego ish...........

WOW!!

Thats amazing Ace!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Only girls and homos didn't.  Legos kick ass!

I did and I'm <looks down shirt...confirms> a girl!
I still do!...My kids and I build lots of crap...just bought a Bob the Builder set for the youngest. <cough> I mean Santa did...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to love the old erector sets and legos, good way to Start Combat engineers early on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Legos.

I was trying to find out the price for gray Legos at the Lego store at the MOA, but they're freakin' expensive - about 5x what you'd pay for a random assortment.

So much for the 1/24 castle...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
course i did, who didn't when they were younger?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I want to know how many of us played with legos as kids?

I don't understand the part in red.

I have legos /now/.  Mindstorms programmable set.  I've never cared much for the kits to make something specific, all I want or need is a lot of various sized bricks, axles, and gears, and maybe a couple of motors and a battery.  I built two and three speed transmissions, crank powered contraptions, and one of my favorites as a kid was using the pulleys to create cable cars that drove themselves all over the house.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
legos and micro machines (military of course!).

The best is when my destructive side came out to play and I demolished all that took me a week to build and perfect only to start over again. i had to create chaos somewhere, since my parents were pissed that most electronics i was given eventually ended up in pieces due to curiosity and the need to make it better.

good times.

I've since replaced my legos and micro machines with cars, car parts, guns and gun parts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell yea..  Still play with my boy's legos  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Dat's wear I lerned enginnering.....

SRM
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My nephew made this:

members.cox.net/southparkmilitia/images/guns/lego_rifle.jpg

I don't think that is Kali legal

Yep, it's a Good Thing my brother and his family don't live in Cali.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have about 30 gallons of Legos in rubbermaid containers that I'm saving in case I ever have children.

Kharn

You'll be an excellent father.

BTW when I first got into Revolutionary War reenactment, my eldest son, then 5 years old, took some of his little brother's Duplos (big Legos), stuck them together, and made a long, multicolored Lego "Brown Bess" musket. Really cute- eventually the whole thing fell apart and we had to put it back together with electrical tape. But he used to do the Manual of Arms with it, next to the reenactors. Pretty funny- people used to give him more attention than the reenactors!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
legos and micro machines (military of course!).

The best is when my destructive side came out to play and I demolished all that took me a week to build and perfect only to start over again. i had to create chaos somewhere, since my parents were pissed that most electronics i was given eventually ended up in pieces due to curiosity and the need to make it better.

good times.

I've since replaced my legos and micro machines with cars, car parts, guns and gun parts.

You and me both.  Hell, my parents had to hide screwdrivers, 'cause if I got ahold of one, who knows what appliance would end up in pieces.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, played with Legos. Mostly made spaceships, my favorite was a battlecruiser with gatling rail cannons (hey, imagination is 9/10ths the cool factor of Legos). I had mounted them on outboard rails with the ability to rotate and change elevation (mounted on two special plates so they could elevate up and down). I miss Legos.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up on them!
Ya know, manipulating all those tiny pieces for about 10 years has given me quite some finger dexterity

ETA: I still have a whole suitcase full of em! I really ought to give em away to one of the youngsters in my family-freinds circle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Legos are the best toy ever invented.  EVER.  I used to invent fake illnesses to stay home and play with them.  However, they've gone seriously downhill with all the freakin' specialized shapes.  The specialization and tiny kits harms creativity, IMO.  What I would've given for a 5 gallon bucket of basic parts . . .
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I still do.

I made a dune buggy with a working flat4 4wd  and 4 speed with full indepented suspension.
when I has 12. Im a LEGO master
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Rookies...

Google for Lego pic's and you'll be amazed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Legos are the best toy ever invented.  EVER.  I used to invent fake illnesses to stay home and play with them.  However, they've gone seriously downhill with all the freakin' specialized shapes.  The specialization and tiny kits harms creativity, IMO.  What I would've given for a 5 gallon bucket of basic parts . . .

Yup.  Everytime I see a new kit (usually a movie tie-in ) at the store with some specialized part that is only usefull on that particular model, I die a little inside.  In addition, the alternate models on the back are jokes.  What are they paying Lego engineers for, anyway?

Is "Lego engineer" a real occupation?  And  why doesn't my school offer it as a major?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to loce the space legos. I have been tempted to go and buy some of my old lego sets on Ebay.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Legos rocked.  Years and years I enjoyed them.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Legos
Lincoln logs
Erector sets, with that smiling kid on the front
Chemistry sets
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#27]
If it wasnt for legos and being born a boy, i wouldnt have had anything to play with
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If it wasnt for legos and being born a boy, i wouldnt have had anything to play with

Not even the "Girl Next Door"?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]
As a kid, I had numerous sets, but most of my Lego building came from 4 huge tubs of assorted pieces and Technics. I once made a huge army base with a fully functional train system that covered my entire room, moving gun turrets, barracks, control centers, and a dock.

It's pretty sad to see what Legos has become. Sets these days have only a couple pieces, take a few minutes to build, and have so many retarded specialized parts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Rookies...

www.simpsonsfolder.com/special/sights/lego-bart_0.jpg

www.wired.com/news/images/full/lego-car_f.jpg

home.cshore.com/bucwheat/legodino.jpg

Google for Lego pic's and you'll be amazed.

Bah those are lame.  No real creativity there, just per-pixel modeling of a real-world object.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I loved them when I was a kid. I had several of the kits, and throughly enjoyed them (Just never could get the damn police station ). My only complaint with them was they were/are fairly damn expensive.

Also, the only time I really ever lost my temper was when one of my cousins destroyed a kit that took me a whole weekend to put together. I literally jumped on his ass and beat the ever living hell out of him. It was weird because he was older and taller than me by quite a bit, but I was so pissed I just went Chuck Norris on him.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#32]
they are sooooo cool
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Bah! I'm STILL playing with legos!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#34]
legos
lincoln logs
tinker toys... i think that is what they were called... the wood sticks with the wood wheels one hole on each side and many around the "tread" part of the wheel.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Who says girls didn't?  I loved them.  And my brother's GI Joes used to raid Barbie's manision!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#36]
The thing about Legos is, they're basically real-life voxels.

(voxel = voluminous pixel = 3d pixel)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep. Even Duplo when I was really young. Eventually gave those to my nephews, but their dumb mom probably sold it off at a yard sale or something as they got older. Hell my brother and I still brought them out every now and then before giving them to our nephews (I'm only 23, my brother is 21, nephews from half-sister).

For a while, my brother, our friend, and myself, each had our own lego "towns" or basically little island empires.  We each picked out various combinations of lego guys to make our own characters to represent us. We would make our little fiefdoms and build up navies and air forces and then actually had a bunch of wars that devolved into fistfights

Here are some pics I took of the latest iterations around when I was 13 or 14, before I put them all away for my kids:

That was my last fortress. Those yellow things are lego "human" heads on spears, to scare off my enemies! I had a working noose from the tower too for hanging dissenters. I also had 7 wives, which were all the female lego characters I had. Lego life was good.

That was the pride of my navy, a gunboat with a bunch of rocket launchers as well. I guess the nuclear missile carrying ship was more powerful, but eh.

A long range bomber with working bomb bay!

HIND-esque attack chopper. Had a bunch of commandos inside as well. Made them submachine guns by using pliers to cut off parts of the crossbow piece.

I also separated my medieval guys as well, my lego empire transcends time!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#39]
That auction is up to$31K. That's insane! Hope it comes with directions to put it back together after the buyer's kid takes it apart.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Yup.  And Tycos, too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did and I'm <looks down shirt...confirms> a girl!
I still do!...My kids and I build lots of crap...just bought a Bob the Builder set for the youngest. <cough> I mean Santa did...

Proof will be required, you know, I mean how are we supposed to believe such a claim?

Pics of the aforementioned view are acceptable, of course.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah I played with alot of legos as a kid.

Hell I just bought some not too long ago. At Walgreens they had 300 brick packs 3 of them for $11. So I bought one for me, one for toys for tots, and another to give to someone I know.

Another cool thing about Legos, is that they are not made in China. The ones I got said made in the Netherlands.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Hell yeah!  Legos were definately my favorite toy.  Back in my day, I made a ton of Star Wars stuff from scratch.  I even made a lego M16 that shot rubber bands.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Basic kits only, the specialized crap wrecks it for me my kids.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Alright, most folks played with legos.

Who else has ever been to legoland?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Alright, most folks played with legos.

Who else has ever been to legoland?

The one in the mall of america? 10 minutes from my house (parents house but i grew up there). Legos friggin rocked. I managed to make a snow plow with working wing plow.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#47]
The lego is from denmark and that is where the original legoland is.

There are now 3 or 4 others I guess after I ran a search to refresh my memory.  This is a complete park about legos.

And legos are made in a few different countries, none seem to be made in china.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:45:12 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The lego is from denmark and that is where the original legoland is.

There are now 3 or 4 others I guess after I ran a search to refresh my memory.  This is a complete park about legos.

And legos are made in a few different countries, none seem to be made in china.

nm i had wrong idea. they called it legoland when they built it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:56:03 AM EDT
[#49]
I played with them from age 7-14 (appx).

Don't anymore...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

a huge +1!!!!!

i still have a 10 gallon tub of legos around here somewhere...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top