Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a bit of a reach there.  Why on earth would the state patrol be the responding agency for a child abuse case. I think what happened was a tragedy, and there was no intent to cause anyone harm. regardless the trooper was driving to fast for the conditions and paid for it with his life and his Sgt's and an innocent bystander.  The only good thing that can come out of this is:
1. A reminder that getting complacent while operating a emergency vehicle is deadly
2. A reminder to always have sit awareness
3. I hope the baby is ok

Pissing on the troopers memory will not bring the pickup driver back. A common thread on arfcom is that peace officers are no different then the anybody else and it's true everyone has lapses in judgement and makes mistakes, some get lucky others do not

Because the child involved was an off duty Trooper's child...........................

Right so would it not make more sense for the county SO or local PD to lead the investigation?  I don't know how it is where you work but where I used to work we avoided that at all costs. I worked for the SO we had a few guys get investigated and we had the state police conduct the investigation, likewise when a trooper was suspected of abuse our agency got the case.....   It doesn't inspire the most confidence when an agency investigates itself
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Right so would it not make more sense for the county SO or local PD to lead the investigation?  I don't know how it is where you work but where I used to work we avoided that at all costs. I worked for the SO we had a few guys get investigated and we had the state police conduct the investigation, likewise when a trooper was suspected of abuse our agency got the case.....   It doesn't inspire the most confidence when an agency investigates itself

Generally there have to be two sepearate investigations

1) Criminal to determine if a crime was committed, and gather evidence to prosecute that crime. - this is the one that gets you arrested

2) Administrative to determine of any work rules or policies were violated. - this is the one that gets you fired, suspended, written up etc. - even if the criminal investigation determines no crime was committed.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
What would everyone say if a "civilian" was speeding around 30 mph over the speed limit, wrecked, and killed himself and two others?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What would everyone say if a "civilian" was speeding around 30 mph over the speed limit, wrecked, and killed himself and two others?

Well, obviously the civilian was at fault for driving recklessly.  But don't forget, the cop had to take a report, so he was justified.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top