Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Mel Kiper, "I don't think this is a good draft."

Not surprising considering how last year we had the Covid super seniors and everyone who delayed declaring a year (due to Covid) resulting in an incredibly deep draft. It also meant you had a ton of players continuing to get field time in 2021 which delayed the younger players from getting as much play time/development. So this year's draft holds a much smaller pool numbers wise and a much larger pool of people who have had an entire season less field time than a usual draft.

Edit: Not to mention people further lost play time even the year before that due to game cancellations from Covid. So you have some guys declaring who may have missed out on almost 2 full seasons of play time during their college tenure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Amazing cap manipulation and drafting will do that.

Course they had a just little help against Cincy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Amazing cap manipulation and drafting will do that.

Course they had a just little help against Cincy.

All I hear is excuses.  The team went through a rebuilding process and continued to stay on top. They will be even better next year while other top contenders are about to see their championship window start to close.  It would take a miracle to win the SB with all their WR’s banged up, but they will keep getting shots for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

How would he know until 3-4 years from now?

The draft has been littered with top 10 pick busts. It's also had multiple HOF players whom were picked in the lower rounds. Hell, Johnny Unitas was claimed off of the waiver wire for $25 by the Colts from the Steelers. One of this years hottest QB's (49ers Purdy) was THE last pick of the draft & he was red hot once he got playing time.

A reporter once asked Bear Bryant, "Coach, how do you rank your recruiting class this year?" Bryant replied, "Ask me in four years."

Seems like solid advice, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That guy has a hard on for Burrow. It seems he attacks pretty much everything he says. He leaves out stuff and makes it sound the way he wants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed but Jason Whitlock has some interesting comments on him. I have heard he is a good guy from people as second hand and third hand info though.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2022-09-22-jason-whitlock-says-joe-burrow-is-suffering-from-colin-kaepernick-disease/

That guy has a hard on for Burrow. It seems he attacks pretty much everything he says. He leaves out stuff and makes it sound the way he wants.

As I said, people I know say he is a good guy but we weren’t discussing him in the context of politics, rather how he treats people.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Pointed a gun at a woman in downtown Cincinnati and told her, "You should be popped in the face. I should shoot you now. The police can't get me."

January 21st, so right before the Bills game.

From the Bengals: "The club is aware misdemeanor charges have been raised against Joe Mixon. The club is investigating the situation and will not comment further at this time."
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fn_7jdnWYAMdxAk?format=jpg&name=small

Pointed a gun at a woman in downtown Cincinnati and told her, "You should be popped in the face. I should shoot you now. The police can't get me."

From the Bengals: "The club is aware misdemeanor charges have been raised against Joe Mixon. The club is investigating the situation and will not comment further at this time."
View Quote

Misdemeanor?

Shouldn’t this be some kind of brandishing charge at minimum?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Misdemeanor?

Shouldn't this be some kind of brandishing charge at minimum?
View Quote
If he actually pointed it at her should be felony assault.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man. Mixon lives in a nice neighborhood
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I first saw that, I thought it was a joke about his 4 TD game. Guess not
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Be a shame for some Chinese Knock-Knock since his address is public now
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Be a shame for some Chinese Knock-Knock since his address is public now
View Quote

We called it something quite different.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Dan Ovlasky (spelling?) had a list of Top 5 QBs. No Joe Montana. Any top QB list without Montana is by nature retarded. Thanks for reading my PSA.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First thing I looked at too.  

Given his history (iirc he beat up a college girlfriend) it may be time to be done with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First thing I looked at too.  

Given his history (iirc he beat up a college girlfriend) it may be time to be done with him.

Some of these guys have a real gift for getting caught up in stupid shit when they have millions of dollars on the line

Even as college athletes people should be thinking about their future earning potential in the NFL and somehow keep their noses clean but nope.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The draft has been littered with top 10 pick busts. It's also had multiple HOF players whom were picked in the lower rounds. Hell, Johnny Unitas was claimed off of the waiver wire for $25 by the Colts from the Steelers. One of this years hottest QB's (49ers Purdy) was THE last pick of the draft & he was red hot once he got playing time.

A reporter once asked Bear Bryant, "Coach, how do you rank your recruiting class this year?" Bryant replied, "Ask me in four years."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some of these guys that live this stuff, there are pretty good indicators about how a certain class looks. They might hit or miss on individual players, but the larger trends can be easier to read.

Last year's draft class was known to be a weak QB class, and it was.

There's also a clear trend of each given year of most of the really talented players really do go in the first round or two.

This graphic is pretty old, but it paints the general picture:

I think Purdy is kind of misleading for a few reasons, one of the biggest being the system he plays in. I'm not sure Shanahan is the huge genius people claim he is, but he does have a system that squeezes really good value out of mediocre QBs. This is a system that humiliated the Raiders in a primetime game with a QB that, at the time, didn't even have a Wikipedia article.

While Purdy did have a better regular season QBR than Garoppolo (65.4 vs 54.3), Garoppolo had a higher CPOE and EPA/play. The difference between those two players may not be what it appears to be, but I think it's reasonable for 9ers fans to hope/expect Purdy will grow and develop more whereas we know what Garoppolo is.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not watching any of the Pro Bowl stuff (yet? lol), but Derek Carr is having himself a NIGHT:

(Good videos in both tweets.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not watching any of the Pro Bowl stuff (yet? lol), but Derek Carr is having himself a NIGHT:

View Quote

How long have they been doing Pro Bowl events on Thursday?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IMO, CD can be that guy. They can get whatever QB coach they want, but Daks gotta be hungry to improve as well. Im not sure if Dak is that kinda competitor though.
View Quote

Agreed 100%

I think Dak wants to win. I don't think he has the killer instinct of say a Brady. A drive to win above all else. I see the offense being lethargic, laxidasicle, just going through the motions at times. I don't see Dak losing his shit when someone runs the wrong route. Committing a dumbass penalty. Brady did.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Mixon's agent tweeted that the charges are being dropped on Friday.

I know how that works, but how in the hell does that work?

Besides this, lackluster production, complaining loudly at times in the locker room, and $12M/ year..

Bengals would be wise to cut ties after June 1st.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hopefully Carr finds a home in a good system...in the NFC. 49ers?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

No
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No
View Quote

Lol..

You can, and will do a lot worse.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

First time I read this, I thought you were talking about Hunter-Killer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Bucs
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dan Ovlasky (spelling?) had a list of Top 5 QBs. No Joe Montana. Any top QB list without Montana is by nature retarded. Thanks for reading my PSA.
View Quote

Stats can, but usually don't, measure the intangible of clutch.

4th quarter, winning drives...meh, it tries, but that implies weaknesses on defense.

Maybe the geeks have something.

My point is Montana was a great quarterback but some of his greatness can't be measured with the usual stats that most cite.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds like the average MSM journo.
View Quote

I never go to sports sites. Team sites directly or catch stuff on twitter once in a while. The number of people who make a living off of sports is incredible. A good third or more of the posts on here are bitching about some "commentator" or other that people hate.
People ain't wrong when they say the country is falling apart, and as long as there is bread and circuses it will continue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A glance at his social media accounts one can see that is clearly BS.
View Quote

I don't follow his social media. I watch him play football. Same with the rest of the team(s)
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some of these guys have a real gift for getting caught up in stupid shit when they have millions of dollars on the line

Even as college athletes people should be thinking about their future earning potential in the NFL and somehow keep their noses clean but nope.
View Quote

They are gifted athletically, the brains get bounced around pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mixon's agent tweeted that the charges are being dropped on Friday.

I know how that works, but how in the hell does that work?

Besides this, lackluster production, complaining loudly at times in the locker room, and $12M/ year..

Bengals would be wise to cut ties after June 1st.
View Quote

He really ain't any better than Perrine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bucs
View Quote

I'm not up to speed if this is a trade or FA situation with Carr.

I just know the eye test says he's still got the ability and some winning in him.

The Titans makes sense. Instant contenders, I'd say even favorites, against Jacksonville for the AFC South. Guaranteed playoffs, first year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He really ain't any better than Perrine.
View Quote

Gross production, I'd agree. Totally different style runners, and Mixon ranks pretty low on yards after contact.

Perrine was a Fullback for the Steelers in a previous life.

The perennially poor, or either banged up  O-Line hasn't done Mixon any favors, either.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I just know the eye test says he's still got the ability and some winning in him.

The Titans makes sense. Instant contenders, I'd say even favorites, against Jacksonville for the AFC South. Guaranteed playoffs, first year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bucs

I think it would be a good place for him to go. At least half the season is warm weather at home, and 3 away games would be AFC South being in Houston, Jax, Nashville, and Indy. Indy is a dome so he'd he'd have a guaranteed 11-12 games a year NOT in a cold outdoor stadium.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think it would be a good place for him to go. At least half the season is warm weather at home, and 3 away games would be AFC South being in Houston, Jax, Nashville, and Indy. Indy is a dome so he'd he'd have a guaranteed 11-12 games a year NOT in a cold outdoor stadium.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bucs

I came to post about Carr since some local radio guys were talking about his situation. and honestly, he's in a real good one. his $40 mil guaranteed with a no trade clause kicks in after the Super Bowl. so the raiders can try and trade him now, but who the fuck would take him (besides dan Snyder and co) when he'll just be released. once he hits the market, someone is gonna give him a nice payday. his exit from Vegas kinda sucks, but he'll have a number of suitors and get a good payday.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All I hear is excuses.  The team went through a rebuilding process and continued to stay on top. They will be even better next year while other top contenders are about to see their championship window start to close.  It would take a miracle to win the SB with all their WR’s banged up, but they will keep getting shots for the foreseeable future.
View Quote

I've posted several times that their organization played the re-loading situation like virtuosos.

Mahomes smartly left cash on the table for other talent, and facilitated working the cap like wizards.

Everything has gone their way, because of they way they did it.

Still, they haven't had to earn a SB berth playing on the road, it may be a while before they have to.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've posted several times that their organization played the re-loading situation like virtuosos.

Mahomes smartly left cash on the table for other talent, and facilitated working the cap like wizards.

Still, they haven't had to earn a SB berth playing on the road, it may be a while before they have to.

View Quote

The half billion dollar man left cash on the table? Man that is an innovative way to view his contract. Love to hear your perspective on how a guy who constitutes 25% of his team's cap for the next half-decade left cash on the table.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:21:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The half billion dollar man left cash on the table? Man that is an innovative way to view his contract. Love to hear your perspective on how a guy who constitutes 25% of his team's cap for the next half-decade left cash on the table.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cap going up is factored into those deals, and its not really a 10 year deal. His contract was a lot better than many others including Dak, Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson.

Edit- Dak's cap number for 2023 is higher than Mahomes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The cap going up is factored into those deals, and its not really a 10 year deal. His contract was a lot better than many others including Dak, Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson.

View Quote

That says less about Mahomes number and more about how stupid Jerry Jones is. Russell Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson are all examples of how NFL teams should never structure deals. For Mahomes to be measured in the same breath is an indictment of how bad that potentially is.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't follow his social media. I watch him play football. Same with the rest of the team(s)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A glance at his social media accounts one can see that is clearly BS.

Nor I, but people here have posted his anti-gun, pro-abortion, etc. social media postings enough for me to know that the claim that Burrow "tries not to be political" is bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That says less about Mahomes number and more about how stupid Jerry Jones is. Russell Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson are all examples of how NFL teams should never structure deals. For Mahomes to be measured in the same breath is an indictment of how bad that potentially is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was responding about cap %.

In 2023 Rodgers will be 13.9%.

Mahomes will be 20.9%.

Dak will be 21.5%.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mahomes will be 20.9%.

Dak will be 21.5%.
View Quote

Man that's a lot to take in.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:04:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mahomes will be 20.9%.

Dak will be 21.5%.

If you push out the % to 2024 the order stays the same.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Agreed 100%

I think Dak wants to win. I don't think he has the killer instinct of say a Brady. A drive to win above all else. I see the offense being lethargic, laxidasicle, just going through the motions at times. I don't see Dak losing his shit when someone runs the wrong route. Committing a dumbass penalty. Brady did.
View Quote
I don't think Dak has any lack of instinct.  He's just not consistently accurate.  He's accurate most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Mahomes will be 20.9%.

Dak will be 21.5%.
View Quote

Rodgers contract is so weird he shouldn’t be included. He also has two years on his contract that will never be played but technically they aren’t void years. Pretty sure there’s still an option to be picked up before the 23 season also.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Dak will be 21.5%.
View Quote

Now does everyone realize why people shit on Dak?
He in no way plays at this level.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Rodgers contract is so weird he shouldn't be included. He also has two years on his contract that will never be played but technically they aren't void years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mahomes will be 20.9%.

Dak will be 21.5%.

Rodgers contract is so weird he shouldn't be included. He also has two years on his contract that will never be played but technically they aren't void years.

Explain?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Explain?
View Quote

From over the cap:

Aaron Rodgers signed a three year, $150 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2022. Rodgers received $101.4 million in full guarantees and $150.66 million in injury guarantees. Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus as part of the contract. The Packers can pick up a guaranteed option in 2023 worth $58.3 million. If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. The team has two dummy years on the contract for salary cap purposes. Technically they are not void years but they are not seasons that Rodgers would be asked to honor if he were on the roster.

Article explaining all the possibilities
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top