User Panel

Page / 63
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Comments are starting to come out on the ugliness of the 2014 cars.

Newey said his car is "not pretty" with a "very low nose".

Ugly cars with quite engines........
View Quote
Ugh.  Nothing worse than an ugly F1 car.  Until it wins!  

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Is that him getting emotional about his second championship, or third... maybe even fourth...

ETA: proofs in the pudding eh?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case in point..

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its amazing, I have completely forgot what alonso looks like when hes winning....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Its amazing, I have completely forgot what alonso looks like when hes winning....

Alonso maturated quite a bit since the early years.. some still have to...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're wasting your time. The whiny butthurt WILL continue ad nauseum until a red car dominates again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, you've got... issues.

You're wasting your time. The whiny butthurt WILL continue ad nauseum until a red car dominates again.

well, at least you are not on someone else ignore list
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it took a revolution in rules ( new tires, no pit stop, no private testing, limited parts, limited engines) at the time for it to stop (red cars domination)... maybe this is what is needed again (reversal) to stop Newey dominance ...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Kinda like Lewis huh?
View All Quotes
Drivers are competitive beasts, and they also tend to be Prima Donas.  I've seen just about every driver lose his shit and throw his toys out of the pram at least once.  The funny part is, it's just as bad at the bottom of the barrel, as at the top, I've seen kids in carting pull the same whiny bullshit. I consider it one of the bonuses of the racing world, and you have to laugh at it, else you would probably take a very large breaker bar to your driver if he flipped his shit about the state of the car AFTER you spent all night working on it because he blew the engine up the day before.  The crew chief may or may not have had to stop me a couple of times till the current driver of the month started to mesh with the rest of us.

I miss being in racing, but I'm glad I never had to do it to put food on the table, I doubt it would have been nearly as fun as just taking off work on a friday, prepping the car and spending the weekend with a bunch of really awesome dudes (except the drivers).

The Finns though, Mika, and Kimi specifically are just stone cold and all the more awesome for it.  I would kill to work for one of them, just calm, cool, and business like, till it's party time.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

it took a revolution in rules ( new tires, no pit stop, no private testing, limited parts, limited engines) at the time for it to stop (red cars domination)... maybe this is what is needed again (reversal) to stop Newey dominance ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no... It won't matter.  Vettel could lap the field in a shopping cart, don't you know?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, no... It won't matter.  Vettel could lap the field in a shopping cart, don't you know?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, I forgot...

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Sooo...that begs the question...

What if Red Bull picks up where they left off in 2013? (Odds are they won't, but it is possible.)
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What if Red Bull picks up where they left off in 2013? (Odds are they won't, but it is possible.)
View Quote

Maranello has to hire some mafia dudes to off Newey...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL I wouldn't put it past Luca.  Next season will be interesting though, but I have a feeling that Ferrari has a pretty good chance with the new engines, as they can actually design a reliable powerplant.  Renault and Merc have issues with this, it took them FOREVER to get the V8s to be reliable.

The sadist in me is just foaming at the mouth for the testing early next year, just to see how many engine parts end up all over the track.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LOL I wouldn't put it past Luca.  Next season will be interesting though, but I have a feeling that Ferrari has a pretty good chance with the new engines, as they can actually design a reliable powerplant.  Renault and Merc have issues with this, it took them FOREVER to get the V8s to be reliable.

The sadist in me is just foaming at the mouth for the testing early next year, just to see how many engine parts end up all over the track.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see where you are going.. but unfortunately, even with an inferior engine, today's aero is so important that you can still win..  If Mercedes and Renault fail to have the best reliable engine, they will simply make the second best reliable engine..

Maranello's only chance is to fix their God damned wind tunnel and come up with half decent aero solutions.

btw, Luca DiMontezemolo doesnt have the guts to off Newey .. He was the one agreeing on the new stupid regulations that put his whole team in big trouble..

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not surprising. The cars got ugly in 2010 when they rules changed and essentially standardized the bodies.

More narrowly defined regulations on design with smaller, quieter engines is going to make Formula 1 very stale.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That's not surprising. The cars got ugly in 2010 when they rules changed and essentially standardized the bodies.

More narrowly defined regulations on design with smaller, quieter engines is going to make Formula 1 very stale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The keep lowering the noses in the name of safety, how long till they start getting enclosed wheels like Indy Car got this year, or enclosed cockpits.  

It all just makes me sad, there is NOTHING like driving an open wheel racer, and they are just going to restrict them out of existence.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

remember this fact:

when ferrari is building good cars, they lose

when ferrari is building bad cars, they win

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

needs P1 regs:

any engine, any induction, the catch is.. you only get X amount of fuel per race

Audi may get into Indy because the rules will be lightening up on engines and such soon.  they will not, positively, absolutely will not get into F1 because of the tight regulations.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a sneaking feeling that the new turbo-era won't be so good for Ferrari.

They didn't do so well the last time - Honda, Porsche/TAG, BMW and Renault all won more races during the last turbo formula.

It would be interesting to see the two formulas run side by side.  Between the fuel requirements and the KERS/ERS boost regs, they could keep it competitive.

But I'm sure the $$$ aren't there to justify it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore lists are for pussies who can't deal with differing opinions from their own. I've tolerated your nonsense pretty well in this thread without putting you on the ignore list. If/when I want to ignore you... I'll just IGNORE you.

And yes... if Vettel were piloting an Adrian Newey-designed shopping cart, he would probably lap the field.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

remember this fact:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

remember this fact:

I don't care what they build, as long as it's competitive with the rest of the field.  Kimi and Alonso can take care of the rest, which is as it should be.   The field just SUCKS this year, one great car (RBR) 3 marginally competent cars (Ferrari-but only if Alonso is driving, Merc, Lotus), and a whole lot of shit in the rest of the field.  That's six teams that aren't putting in performances much better than the bottom feeders, with one SHINING exception (The Hulk).  It's fucking disgusting and is not good at ALL for the sport.    

Shit, the more I've read this year as regards to Ferrari's monstrosity they brought out, the more I'm impressed with Alonso. They seriously need to put away the vino and get their engineering and testing (wind and simulator) departments to start doing their jobs.  Even as an RBR fan (I love ANYONE that gives me sponsorship money ), I want to see some competition for those top steps as this is even worse than the Shumacher era.  

Or we could just go with my original fix, Clone Newey and give one to every team.

Also, I've heard from a very reliable source (8/10 in reliability) that we will see Hulk in Black and Gold next year. YAY!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a sneaking feeling that the new turbo-era won't be so good for Ferrari.

They didn't do so well the last time - Honda, Porsche/TAG, BMW and Renault all won more races during the last turbo formula.

It would be interesting to see the two formulas run side by side.  Between the fuel requirements and the KERS/ERS boost regs, they could keep it competitive.

But I'm sure the $$$ aren't there to justify it.
View Quote

I didn't care for the turbo cars last time, don't expect to like them this time. When I was still racing I test drove cars for a couple of teams. One of them was a 935 with a turbo engine. When the engine came up on the turbo it was a real hand full. I looped it a couple of times just because of the steep power curve.

Last time F1 ran turbos there was more than one major position change due to a spin related to the big power surge when the turbo finally gets up to speed. Takes a different approach to driving a turbo fast and its a different style of driving. Not everyone can adapt quickly or smoothly.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]
ECU tech has improved by orders of magnitude since the last turbo era.  I think reliability is going to a much bigger problem than dealing with the funky boosted power curve.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ignore lists are for pussies who can't deal with differing opinions from their own. I've tolerated your nonsense pretty well in this thread without putting you on the ignore list. If/when I want to ignore you... I'll just IGNORE you.

And yes... if Vettel were piloting an Adrian Newey-designed shopping cart, he would probably lap the field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how unreliable would be Ricciardo's shopping cart maybe it would need to pit more times than vettel's
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Everyone knows he isn't as good on his trolly wheels as Seb.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, at least you two are (sorta) getting along.

Alonso's cart would be bashed in on one side, missing a wheel, and he would still be within 5 seconds of you. (Unless Riccardo decided to take a nap in the middle of the road again)
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, at least you two are (sorta) getting along.

Alonso's cart would be bashed in on one side, missing a wheel, and he would still be within 5 seconds of you. (Unless Riccardo decided to take a nap in the middle of the road again)
View Quote

Naw... he'd be all slowed-down because of Weber's additional weight from hitching a ride!!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Webber's cart would be made out of zinc
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#29]

The more (or LESS you could say) that I hear from Kimi... the more I love the guy. His give-a-f#ck meter is pegged so far to the left that the needle has been broken.  

http://jalopnik.com/does-kimi-raikkonen-miss-michael-schumacher-453855348
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#30]
His coming back got me into F1.

A real life honey badger
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A real life honey badger
View Quote

He is an intriguing guy for sure. I've made my like of Vettel/RBR pretty clear in this thread. But honestly, Kimi is a guy that I don't mind seeing on the podium. I always love his brief, emotionless after-race commentary from the podium. Guy just cracks me up and I'm curious to see how the whole teammate thing between he and Alonso goes next year.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
He is an intriguing guy for sure. I've made my like of Vettel/RBR pretty clear in this thread. But honestly, Kimi is a guy that I don't mind seeing on the podium. I always love his brief, emotionless after-race commentary from the podium. Guy just cracks me up and I'm curious to see how the whole teammate thing between he and Alonso goes next year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A real life honey badger

"That doesn't interest me." - KR

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Lotus pitstop from above:
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lotus pitstop from above:http://www.wimp.com/pitstops/
View Quote

Hmmm... I'm starting to think that Kimi has somehow managed to combine his speech-delivery philosophy with the true "art" that is an F1 pitstop. To the point and very fast!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#36]
AWWW SHIT this is not good.

http://grandprix247.com/2013/10/18/works-teams-to-have-v6-engine-advantage-says-brawn/

WHY FIA? WHY, You motherfuckers are so afraid of innovation that you hamstring the shit out of non-works teams.  I seriously hope this doesn't include the ERS systems the teams are working on too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hmmm... I'm starting to think that Kimi has somehow managed to combine his speech-delivery philosophy with the true "art" that is an F1 pitstop. To the point and very fast!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lotus pitstop from above:http://www.wimp.com/pitstops/

I always thought Kimi just had a corncob up his ass until the "I was having a shit" moment at Schumacher's first retirement. Then I realized that that's just the way he is.  I've loved the guy ever since, and I see why the teams he's worked for always spoke VERY well of him.  I'm glad he decided to come back, the sport is better for it.  Now we just need Montoya back for the entertainment value.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I think someone may have posted this already, but I'm not sure.  It's dated today.

Honda releases audio of 2015 F1 V6 turbo engine

Honda has released a recording of its new F1 engine, which was recently fired up for the first time. The engine is being developed for the 2015 season where Honda will participate under a joint project with McLaren.
View Quote

It sounds like a fucking hair dryer or leaf blower.  I'm going to have to start watching the races with the sound off.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]
What Formula 1 should sound like.

0:29 - 0:43 is pure adrenaline.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think someone may have posted this already, but I'm not sure.  It's dated today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431h20gvm3M

It sounds like a fucking hair dryer or leaf blower.  I'm going to have to start watching the races with the sound off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Honda has released a recording of its new F1 engine, which was recently fired up for the first time. The engine is being developed for the 2015 season where Honda will participate under a joint project with McLaren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431h20gvm3M

I saw and unfortunately heard that earlier. They sound like frigging motorcycles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm just still trying to figure out how a turbo engine that is going to require a LOT more development and has a lot more moving parts is a cost saving measure or is any greener (that's the shit they shoveled when they came up with this idea.)

Add to that an even more powerful KERS/ERS system, which likely as not will kill someone one of these days (see Williams fire, Spain 2012 for a near miss) due to the IMMENSE electrical energy involved, and I'm wondering what the hell they were thinking.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm just still trying to figure out how a turbo engine that is going to require a LOT more development and has a lot more moving parts is a cost saving measure or is any greener (that's the shit they shoveled when they came up with this idea.)

Add to that an even more powerful KERS/ERS system, which likely as not will kill someone one of these days (see Williams fire, Spain 2012 for a near miss) due to the IMMENSE electrical energy involved, and I'm wondering what the hell they were thinking.
View Quote

I wonder how they'll cool the turbos since the cars are so aero dependent.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between the turbo and the new KERS/ERS, heat is going to be a big issue.

As far as cost and development, I've always assumed it was done in consideration to the engine manufacturers. It's quite a bit easier to sell a board of directors on the cost when the R&D is in sync with future production car engineering.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
As far as cost and development, I've always assumed it was done in consideration to the engine manufacturers. It's quite a bit easier to sell a board of directors on the cost when the R&D is in sync with future production car engineering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as the turbo cooling, you will end up with intercoolers wedged in the sidepods and they will be watercooled also. I would hate to be the poor bastard that has to design the air box for these cars though, not a lot of space there for intercooler piping.  Cooling of the new ERS systems systems will probably be of the liquid variety, but I don't know if they would tap off the car's cooling system or have their own separate system.  
As far as development, Barely anything you use in F1 would ever apply to a production car, the level of performance and more so longevity required is just too different except in regards to some $200K plus supercars.  I'm still trying to figure out who came up with this idea, but I'm betting Jean Todt (FIA Pres.) had a hand in it, along with some Renault engineers as they were so successful with the original turbos.  It's all speculation though as I've not been able to get ANY info from the guys I know that work at f1 teams.
It's not all bad though, if they sound like the video below, I'm game, and the sport does need a little shaking up.  I wouldn't worry too much about how they sound though, you lose that top end scream, but you get turbo noises, and we all know that turbo noises make EVERYTHING better.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#45]
The sound pales in comparison to something like the Lamborghini V-12 from the early 90's....

http://youtu.be/XgGgtGwRrgM

..the old guy ..Alessandro Nannini...
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
AWWW SHIT this is not good.

http://grandprix247.com/2013/10/18/works-teams-to-have-v6-engine-advantage-says-brawn/

WHY FIA? WHY, You motherfuckers are so afraid of innovation that you hamstring the shit out of non-works teams.  I seriously hope this doesn't include the ERS systems the teams are working on too.
View Quote

That's the way it should be, IMO. I have always liked works teams better. It just seems to me that a team's WHOLE F1 car should be built by the team.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As far as the turbo cooling, you will end up with intercoolers wedged in the sidepods and they will be watercooled also. I would hate to be the poor bastard that has to design the air box for these cars though, not a lot of space there for intercooler piping.  Cooling of the new ERS systems systems will probably be of the liquid variety, but I don't know if they would tap off the car's cooling system or have their own separate system.  

As far as development, Barely anything you use in F1 would ever apply to a production car, the level of performance and more so longevity required is just too different except in regards to some $200K plus supercars.  I'm still trying to figure out who came up with this idea, but I'm betting Jean Todt (FIA Pres.) had a hand in it, along with some Renault engineers as they were so successful with the original turbos.  It's all speculation though as I've not been able to get ANY info from the guys I know that work at f1 teams.

It's not all bad though, if they sound like the video below, I'm game, and the sport does need a little shaking up.  I wouldn't worry too much about how they sound though, you lose that top end scream, but you get turbo noises, and we all know that turbo noises make EVERYTHING better.
http://youtu.be/n-npEh41xiU

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/n-npEh41xiU

That Ferrari sounds like complete shit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#48]
looks like NJ is getting Valencia's barricades
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Two of Newey's Chief Deputies Leaving RBR for McLaren

Although the news that Red Bull’s leading aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou and his right hand man are to leave the championship winning team came as a surprise, further investigation has revealed that the move had been rumoured for a long time on the engineering grapevine.

Prodromou is one of the closest working associates of the design maestro Adrian Newey.

It was reported as news during the Japanese GP race weekend and since then the story has evolved as a clearly irked Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has made it clear that Prodromou has a contract until 2015 and he will not allow him to leave before then...For Red Bull, losing a key member of the team, not to mention his deputy, destabilises things. The others in the inner sanctum will feel betrayed to some degree. How long a notice period do they hold him to? They might not want McLaren to have him early, but they will also not want him getting sight of their plans too far ahead, into 2015 for example.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Two of Newey's Chief Deputies Leaving RBR for McLaren
Although the news that Red Bull’s leading aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou and his right hand man are to leave the championship winning team came as a surprise, further investigation has revealed that the move had been rumoured for a long time on the engineering grapevine.

Prodromou is one of the closest working associates of the design maestro Adrian Newey.

It was reported as news during the Japanese GP race weekend and since then the story has evolved as a clearly irked Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has made it clear that Prodromou has a contract until 2015 and he will not allow him to leave before then...For Red Bull, losing a key member of the team, not to mention his deputy, destabilises things. The others in the inner sanctum will feel betrayed to some degree. How long a notice period do they hold him to? They might not want McLaren to have him early, but they will also not want him getting sight of their plans too far ahead, into 2015 for example.

well thats a fairly interesting brain drain

Page / 63
Top Top