Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't consider it encryption. Most likely is only 40bit RC4. It's more digital privacy than encryption.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If we can get this stuff nailed down, I'm looking forward to an Arf-approved Great Hootenanny frequency list

It won't work for hams...we are running encryption.  Might get you our HF nets though.

Don't consider it encryption. Most likely is only 40bit RC4. It's more digital privacy than encryption.

Of course. For training purposes we call it encryption. For emergency use there are other radios with AES256 bit encryption...
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Of course. For training purposes we call it encryption. For emergency use there are other radios with AES256 bit encryption...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If we can get this stuff nailed down, I'm looking forward to an Arf-approved Great Hootenanny frequency list

It won't work for hams...we are running encryption.  Might get you our HF nets though.

Absolutely. And it's for sure better than nothing. I've setup all my P25 gear with AES so I know it's secure.

But, this exercise is a great idea! More should do it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Is anyone running a Mac and able to get the TYT software to work? All I've found is an .exe related to the UV-380 radio on TYT's site.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In!  Thanks WTC

@skydive70

ETA: later in the day on the 25th (unless it’s something I can do from work/ doesn’t require 100% attention) or any time on the 26th works for me.
View Quote

I'll do it!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.
View Quote

Just to be clear, the TYT 390 is not required for this exercise, correct? I only have Bao Feng handies, TYT is on order.

@ben
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just to be clear, the TYT 390 is not required for this exercise, correct? I only have Bao Feng handies, TYT is on order.

@ben
View Quote

@skydive70

Quoted:
Do we have to run DMR, or will a regular ole baofeng cut it?

The BF will work in this scenario.

Baofengs are GTG.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok all, please check my post immediately under the OP for the roster. I would like to get 1 to 3 more individuals involved.  If you are interested but don't want to be named on the roster, PM me.  

Also - does anyone on the roster have a TYT390 AND a hotspot (or will have one set up before the exercise)?  Please PM me that info as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be able to do this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

In!

@rat6, queue my XOR81 encryption jokes?

I "might have" compatible radios. Or they might arrive on time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll be able to do this.
View Quote
Thanks, got you in the log!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok all, please check my post immediately under the OP for the roster. I would like to get 1 to 3 more individuals involved.  If you are interested but don't want to be named on the roster, PM me.  

Also - does anyone on the roster have a TYT390 AND a hotspot (or will have one set up before the exercise)?  Please PM me that info as well.
View Quote

@LT_Beaker

Info/ spec/ requirements on hotspot?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@LT_Beaker

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@LT_Beaker

Search for jumbospot on eBay. Should be less than $100. Find a US shipper.

if you're interested lmk and I'll send you the guide to get it set up. This will likely be used a lot going forward.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

if you're interested lmk and I'll send you the guide to get it set up. This will likely be used a lot going forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@LT_Beaker

Ok.  Will look around to see if I can find one & let you know
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@LT_Beaker

Amazon Product
  • X Not compatible with Baofeng UV-5R, Baofeng RD-5R, 5X, 5R+, 5R Plus, etc UV series, BF series
  • ? Support: YSF, D-STAR, P25, DMR and work with UHF, Suit for Raspberry Pi 3,Raspberry Pi Zero W
  • ? Set the same Freq, Callsign, DMR ID, Color code, Repeater Slot as Radio Mobile, WIFI SSID:GARY/PASSWORD:13537701008 (Need the 2.4GHz SSID as the Pi Zero W doesn't support 5.8GHz)

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@LT_Beaker

www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTS738L

That will work.  Lex found this one too:
https://www.radioddity.com/products/mmdvm-hotspot-wifi
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Interested to see what y'all learn from this, and how we can try it here with my local group too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@mnd
View Quote

I mean I guess I've done at least three hikes...
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#19]
For those not in attendance, is there some online resources to read about best practices for comms that isn’t boomers in the ham forum talking about you need to know how to analyze antenna amperage to use a radio effectively?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those not in attendance, is there some online resources to read about best practices for comms that isn't boomers in the ham forum talking about you need to know how to analyze antenna amperage to use a radio effectively?
View Quote

The problem with radio/comms is that you truly need to "do it" to learn it.  This is often why hams will harp on people to become licensed which can come off as condescending and is, therefore, off-putting.  I don't personally know of any resources specific to team comms.  I've tried to research it but you get slammed with ham stuff.  

What we are trying to do as APC is more closely related to commercial comms (relative to ham) and there is nearly zero open source documentation out there.  This is probably because people make it their profession to set up and maintain commercial radio/comms systems for businesses.  What I have personally found most helpful is to sift through the ham bs and pick out the nuggets of info that are relevant to your purpose and then sew them together.  Radio Reference is a huge resource online and has some pretty solid documentation from folks asking questions.  

It almost always comes down to "what do you want to do?".  The equipment required to talk among a tightly spaced team (HTs/Handhelds like Baofengs & TYT) is very different from what is needed to talk across town (mobile or base radio and larger, more permanent antenna) which is different from what is required to talk across the country (large base radio and even larger antenna).  

I will try to do a comprehensive AAR when this is over to dissect lessons learned etc. I've already learned a few

edit:  I didn't see that you are a ham lol  so, about being condescending

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The problem with radio/comms is that you truly need to "do it" to learn it.  This is often why hams will harp on people to become licensed which can come off as condescending and is, therefore, off-putting.  I don't personally know of any resources specific to team comms.  I've tried to research it but you get slammed with ham stuff.  

What we are trying to do as APC is more closely related to commercial comms (relative to ham) and there is nearly zero open source documentation out there.  This is probably because people make it their profession to set up and maintain commercial radio/comms systems for businesses.  What I have personally found most helpful is to sift through the ham bs and pick out the nuggets of info that are relevant to your purpose and then sew them together.  Radio Reference is a huge resource online and has some pretty solid documentation from folks asking questions.  

It almost always comes down to "what do you want to do?".  The equipment required to talk among a tightly spaced team (HTs/Handhelds like Baofengs & TYT) is very different from what is needed to talk across town (mobile or base radio and larger, more permanent antenna) which is different from what is required to talk across the country (large base radio and even larger antenna).  

I will try to do a comprehensive AAR when this is over to dissect lessons learned etc. I've already learned a few

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those not in attendance, is there some online resources to read about best practices for comms that isn't boomers in the ham forum talking about you need to know how to analyze antenna amperage to use a radio effectively?

Thank you sir, looking forward to the AAR!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#22]
All participants, please refer to the 2nd post in this thread and get back to me ASAP. Thank you!

@mentions below because of anti-spam rules.

4) @skydive70
5) @LexConcord
6) WhiskersTheCat

link to post:
[#23]
7) @USMC2671
8) @homeyclaus
9) @mnd

link to post:
[#24]
In for the AAR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All participants, please refer to the 2nd post in this thread and get back to me ASAP. Thank you!

@mentions below because of anti-spam rules.

4) @skydive70
5) @LexConcord
6) WhiskersTheCat

link to post:

Pm sent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
7) @USMC2671
8) @homeyclaus
9) @mnd

link to post:

PM sent.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok I got PMs from a few guys.  Still need the rest. If you haven't contacted me, please do so ASAP!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#29]
It begins.

Enroute
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Objective CHARMIN completed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Where's the AAR and lessons learned?

WE DEMAND ANSWERS, AND WE DEMAND THEM NOW!
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Where's the AAR and lessons learned?

WE DEMAND ANSWERS, AND WE DEMAND THEM NOW!
View Quote

Message is still enroute.

Objective NORTHERN was just reached and the message is on the way to objective COTTONELLE.

Will provide AAR when complete
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Objective COTTONELLE complete, message moving to objective ANGEL SOFT
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Love how you're using tp as code names
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Love how you're using tp as code names
View Quote

Nouvelle cleared, moving to objective SCOTT
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Obj NORTHERN to Obj COTTONELLE went smooth as a flushable wipe.

Whiskers use of the emergency word threw me off since it wasn’t in the challenge phrase.

Saw 4 KARENs at NORTHERN exchanging sassy custom made shirts then proceeded to drink what I am assuming was Zinfandel in their coffee mugs.

When coming off NORTHERN no tails were spotted, proceeded with a sweet razzle dazzle loopdy loo in a 7-11 parking lot and reversed course to make sure.

After coming off of COTTONELLE no tails were spotted. Evaded any potential threats by having to rapidly pull over because urban camouflage (5 year old) decided they would get car sick.

Comms went well. Clear as day. Had the back up radio monitoring the back up channels.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#39]
As part of the supporting element unit Bravo, Arrived at Obj Angel Soft @1125

Made a quick surveillance detection route around Angel Soft. Spotted three vehicles in the immediate area that were of interest (motorcycle, gray sedan, green extended cab truck).

@1130 immediately made contact with support element counterpart by transmitting misinformation challenges/responses. Continued to tx/rx misinformation messages until 1200.

Was alerted to Police/VSP  presence bY ctnsupra1 while on the obJective and further observed VSP make contact with potential KAREN in the parking lot. The contact’s affiliation with KAREN is in question: she had the demeanor of “wanting to talk to the manager” and her vehicle was adorned with level up stickers, but it was pointed out she did not sport the typical short cropped hair or abnormally large sun glasses. Further review is required.

Verified sightings of KAREN was low an Angel Soft.

Moved off target @ 1205.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Angel soft was smooth, nearly Karen-free. I guess the Karens sent their disposable SO's out to take the risks today. Nouvelle was busy but all the Karens were in the line of the Starbucks drive-through.

Fire truck and ambulance pulled into Nouvelle as I was leaving, didn't see why. Kind of a nice area around there.

Spotted tail, wagged tail, turned out was participant in this.

Going forward I think:

* rather than pull tight to the meet area, all we'd need to be is within a mile of it
* the back and forth on radios was probably too long both from a comsec and opsec perspective. i realize that takes practice
* in-person hand-offs also need to be worked on to counter enemy SIGINT
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#41]
AAR

Arrive at OBJ Cottonelle at 1015. Parking lot was nearly full with a line of ~200 Karens and regular civilians snaking around the make shift fencing out front.

Received Tx from 58Teague on backup channel, Tac 15 on my Baofeng. I had tuned the TYT onto Guard VA, not Guard UA. Once that was sorted I received message and heading to OBJ Angelsoft around 1115.

Arrived at OBJ Angelsoft 1135 and waited in the back of the lot and spotted a few KARENs as well as homeyclaus' vehicle. After keying up to make contact with homeyclaus I spotted VSP hiding behind the hedges in the parking lot. Skydive70 confirmed he was looking for unmasked KARENs.

After successful Tx to homeyclaus, I waited 5 minutes and then headed out to HOR.

Key Takeaways:
1. Triple check radio freqs
2. Always carry backup
3. Piss bottle was utilized
4. Sitting in a vehicle and running the radio with the engine off and radios charging will drain your battery
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Arrived AO ANGEL SOFT @ 1105 and continued past to refuel.  Returned via west entrance and parked to observe @ 1120.

Began electronic signals @ 1125 and relocated @ 1130 to obtain visibility of south entrance.

Departed after ME hand-off.

RF comms worked well; could have stood off further.  Need better earpiece/mic setup.

Was unable to monitor admin comms close enough to respond to requests (unable to while in motion.)

Need to avoid finding sharp objects with tires (riding on a rear flat at or above the speed limit is apparently possible, though not recommended.)

Inspection of onboard toolkit was neglected and air-compressor failure was not identified until needed. :(

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#43]
ENDEX ENDEX ENDEX

AAR to follow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Well done gentlemen.

ETA:  AAR

• My part of this was easy. All I had to do was come up with a message to send and then encrypt the message with the One Time Pad (OTP) we used for the training exercise.

• The hard part for me was getting ready for the encryption. To do that, I needed to:

1. Create an OTP. I used Numbers v9.0 (http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/numbersgen.htm). It uses media files to generate the OTP, so you will need to connect it to a library of at least 100 files it can read from. An alternate way would be to use 5 ten-sided die and hand roll the numbers. This method is low-tech and random. As a general rule, we should assume any OTP that was generated on a computer connected to the internet, or transmitted across the internet is compromised. For our purposes today, this was not important, as this is a COMMEX.

2. Encode the message. I was a bit rusty on this as it has been a while since the last time I used an OTP. It is easy, so a few practice runs, and my confidence was restored.

• Once I had the encrypted message ready, I was able to make contact to the first receiving station through FM comms. Ideally, we would not pass this message in the clear, but we all do not yet have FM radios with encryption capability.

• The use of Signal for admin message traffic provided a nice play-by-play for those monitoring the COMMEX.

• We utilized a conf call for the OPORD briefing. It was good and adequate. It does make me want to search for a more secure option though. More thought will have to go into this. Please post recommendations.

• Our secondary objective for this COMMEX was to learn from the exercise so that we could incorporate these lessons into a sort of training package we could provide to other Battle Buddy groups for their local use. I believe we have achieved this objective. More details will follow, but we have a strong training package that is nearly ready to distribute.

• In several cases, for admin purposes, we had to break the concept of "train like you fight, fight like you train" in order to make things happen conveniently. One example was combining the Conversion table, OTP, and code table into one file for ease of use. This info should all be in separate files. We should avoid these situations where possible.

• I had fun.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#45]
First big takeaway, TRUST YOUR TEAM.

Being the first transmitter, and not a receiver it was my goal to arrive at EXACTLY 1000. I was close and arrived at 0956.

I opened communications EXACTLY at 1000. Used the challenge phrase and received the correct answer.

"Running" was our distress word, and the very next thing I said was "Sorry, I'm running late." Return was "no problem, you're right on time". I didn't know if he actually knew I used the distress word and was being discreet or if it blew right past him. He did pick that up. Trust your team.

Communications were flawless. Immediate response, solid copy.

Using "break" between a large message is key. My counterpart found a better balance of using it than I did. I probably "break'd" too often.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Being the first transmitter, and not a receiver it was my goal to arrive at EXACTLY 1000. I was close and arrived at 0956.

I opened communications EXACTLY at 1000. Used the challenge phrase and received the correct answer.

"Running" was our distress word, and the very next thing I said was "Sorry, I'm running late." Return was "no problem, you're right on time". I didn't know if he actually knew I used the distress word and was being discreet or if it blew right past him. He did pick that up. Trust your team.

Using "break" between a large message is key. My counterpart found a better balance of using it than I did. I probably "break'd" too often.
View Quote

I break’d how you did when transmitting. For reading back I figured you were already looking at the numbers and could handle more info between pauses. I was happy you broke it up how you did.

After we parted, I realized I didn’t repeat the emergency word and that would probably leave you hanging. So that was my bad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I break’d how you did when transmitting. For reading back I figured you were already looking at the numbers and could handle more info between pauses. I was happy you broke it up how you did.

After we parted, I realized I didn’t repeat the emergency word and that would probably leave you hanging. So that was my bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad it was good on your end. I wanted to be careful not to give you to much at once since you needed to actually write.

I liked how you read it back though, much quicker. (For those reading, I did four digits per break, USMC did 8 digits per break)

I don't think you should have repeated the distress word. I think you handled it perfectly. Like I said, I just need to trust my team more. If you've been briefed on the distress word, I need to trust you to recognize the distress word. That's my bad, honestly.

You played it so cool I thought you didn't understand. But playing it cool is the key to covert communications. Nice work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm home, been here a little bit.

There was actually some Spanish chatter on the primary ch IVO Obj Presto.  
For future reference there is also a DMR user of our Tac10 freq in that area with a strong signal, so that's one not to use around there.

Tails?  Not tailing this.
Attachment Attached File

No Karens at Presto.  Did see some cute zoomie chicks though.

I saw Ben, but he probably has no idea that he saw me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For future reference there is also a DMR user of our Tac10 freq in that area with a strong signal, so that's one not to use around there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181794/tailthis_JPG-1386120.JPG

View Quote

I actually briefed LT_Beaker that I saw you driving in and getting settled before you and I started chatting on the radio...
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I actually briefed LT_Beaker that I saw you driving in and getting settled before you and I started chatting on the radio...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181794/tailthis_JPG-1386120.JPG

WTF I thought Marines broke things, not observed things
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top