BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Wow. The guy can't be too bright; anybody with any sense can tell just by looking at a spark plug that it isn't supposed to have a gazillion ft-lbs of torque applied to it.

Well, it's certainly obvious to him now.  You've provided him with a valuable life lesson, OP!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you got the exhaust manifold dropped yet?  I always dread that portion.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, the good news is that the heads aren't that hard to pull on a Chevy small-block.

At least it isn't a shoe-horned in, transverse-mounted V6. That's where it gets a LOT more "interesting".
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I learned a long time ago, never help someone with car related stuff.

When it comes to car it doesnt matter if they person was a saint before hand; they will turn into class A sonsabitches when it comes to cars.

"My power steering doesnt work now. You have to fix it because you broke it while fixing my car."

"No.... I replaced your air filter."

"You were the last person near it, so obviously you did it."

Or whatever else kinda jackassery people will come up with.

that applies to any kind of repair work.

I've helped someone remove a virus from their computer, then had them call me in 2 weeks because the fan is making noise and I obviously broke it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I learned a long time ago, never help someone with car related stuff.

When it comes to car it doesnt matter if they person was a saint before hand; they will turn into class A sonsabitches when it comes to cars.

"My power steering doesnt work now. You have to fix it because you broke it while fixing my car."
"No.... I replaced your air filter."
"You were the last person near it, so obviously you did it."

Or whatever else kinda jackassery people will come up with.

Yep.  

I'm a car guy...wife of a deployed friend was in a bad spot, didn't have money for a new carb for her IROC.  Bought a rebuilt carb for her and installed it on my own dime...Six months later, she overheats and seizes the engine.  Blames it on the carb because "The car never did that before you worked on it."

Lost a good friend over that, but I learned my lesson.  I NEVER work on friend's cars...no matter how "good" a friend they are.

Anymore?  I just play dumb.  "Oh, that's got that new-fangled fuel injection stuff, with the wi-fis...I don't know a thing about it."
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, chances are it needed a upper intake gasket soon anyway! AND you're doing headgaskets while you're in there.

Nice guy you are.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Head is off, might as well grind valves, new seals and seats, springs....awwww shit. Just pull the damn motor and get it off to the machine shop, and drop the tranny off at the rebuilder on the way.

Lateral accelleration blows!

Shit happens. Good on ya for trying to hook up the future BIL, and doing the right thing.
Hang in there!
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm a car guy...wife of a deployed friend was in a bad spot, didn't have money for a new carb for her IROC.  Bought a rebuilt carb for her and installed it on my own dime...Six months later, she overheats and seizes the engine.  Blames it on the carb because "The car never did that before you worked on it."
Lost a good friend over that, but I learned my lesson.  I NEVER work on friend's cars...no matter how "good" a friend they are.
Anymore?  I just play dumb.  "Oh, that's got that new-fangled fuel injection stuff, with the wi-fis...I don't know a thing about it."

I showed a guy how to check valve clearance on his Yamaha FZR600 after he watched me do it on my FZR1000.
I told him to buy a factory service manual before he did anything.
I came home from work a few days later and my wife was not happy, she told me the guy had been at the door a couple of times looking for me because he was having issues and wanted my help.
I went down to his garage and found that the idiot had checked his valve clearance and was in the process of pulling the cams to R&R the shims.
The dumbass bought a Clymer manual, when I checked to see what the problem was I found that he had already removed the cylinder head.  

Fucking lame assed Clymer manual didn't state (for the mentally challenged) WHEN to stop pulling shit off for R&R'ing the cams for shim replacement, it went straight into pulling the head, block, engine and splitting the cases.

He blamed me for his fuck-up, all I could say was that he should have bought a factory service manual.

I helped him put it together and that was the last time I helped someone who is not a good close friend work on a vehicle.

It's kind of hard to keep a straight face when I tell them that I don't know how to work on motorcycles when they are standing in my garage,
I have a motorcycle lift, three motorcycles and two big tool boxes full of tools.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you got the exhaust manifold dropped yet?  I always dread that portion.

Came off surprisingly easy....although squirting it with Kroil every hour or so for the past two nights has helped.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op, you knew he doesn't know how to turn a wrench. Why did you make him help?

Didn't think it was too much to ask a guy to remove a spark plug. The ratchet was already in the loosening position.  

He didn't tighten the spark plug to make it shear off-he was trying to remove it and it sheared. I later found out that his dad(who was never in the picture much) and him changed plugs on it around 5-6 years ago. There is no evidence of any anti-seize being used and I don't think they know what a torque wrench is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey, chances are it needed a upper intake gasket soon anyway!

Very true. Change the oil cooler lines on it too. Those were famous for leaking

He'll be able to get 300,000 miles on that engine no problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, chances are it needed a upper intake gasket soon anyway!

Very true. Change the oil cooler lines on it too. Those were famous for leaking

He'll be able to get 300,000 miles on that engine no problem.

Better yet, delete the oil cooler lines.

My brother had a line pop out of the radiator and before he even realized the CEL was on, that motor was nice and devoid of oil.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you get to keep the sister?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
i have a FML .

I bought my 18 year old daughter a 2004 chevy trailblazer about 8 months ago. nice truck, runs great.   she was living with her mother at the time, who let her boyfriend move into her room with her. .  not a lot i could say, as she was 18, and lived with her mom.

fast foreward 3 months.

mom ( who moves on average every 3 years), decides to move 2 hours away, and live in a 2 room cabin, with her boyfriend and her other two kids. 18 year old is now pregnant, and moves in with boyfriends family, 30 miles from town.

now she is constantly complaining about the truck not getting good gas mileage. ( noone told you to fucking move 30 miles from town, and use 10x more gas on average). then she finally just dropped out of high school, ( she only had to go 4 hours a day)

so all i have heard for about 5 months, is how she NEEDS money to pay her boyfriends lawyer, for his legal issues that he has from before they met.

on and on and on. i need money, i need money. i want to trade my truck for a car for better gas mileage, ( and some cash), mostly for cash, for her boyfriends lawyer, cause the lawyer wants his $$ now, cause the lawyer will get my boyfriend out of jail ( magically) i fucking guess if he is paid x thousand bucks, ASAP.    well guess what, she paid $2000, and boyfriend is still in jail. lawyer wants more money. i need money, we need money. blah blah, i want to sell my truck, over and fucking over and fucking over. .

finally i said fuck it, and fuck her. here god dammit, heres the fucking title, go fucking piss it away, see how easy it is to replace.

so yesterday she called me to tell me how a car lot was buying her car for $4000.00.    gee, thats fucking awesome, since i paid $8000.00 fucking bucks for it ! . $4000.00 thrown in the trash.

try to help your kid, and they just piss it away.  i feel good as a dad, cause i did my job, and bought her a decent car.   the fact she is making moronic decisions, and wants to piss it away, is not on me.  im sure when she tries to buy another car, on a mcdonalds check, she will be wishing she had listened.  now like 7 months pregnant, and fucking clueless as fuck. wanting to be a adult, and live a adult life, but without a job, education, money, a decent boyfriend, etc, etc, etc.

i took my younger daughter and had her get a birth control shot, im not dealing with this dumb shit again. FUCK !

so much for " helping" my kid get ahead.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Good on you, but I stopped doing car or computer favors for people that were not immediate family a long time ago after a few rounds of "you fixed my brakes, now the timing belt broke, so it must be your fault because you touched my 175k mile car last", and "you took that virus off my computer and then my hard drive physically tore itself apart, they must be connected, pay for it."

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Shit happens, Your a good person for helping out.

Maybe your good deed was actually having that plug sheer off on your watch and saving him a ton of $ .

If it was anyone but you he would be paying big money.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#17]
we had a guy like that on the boat.  Called him "Cross Thread".   He cost the taxpayers many many 10's of $Ks in ruined equipment that had to be laboriously removed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Got the rockers off....

Neatly labeled...

Yay....the head's off!!!!

But FUCK!!!!-It still won't come out.  May a thousand fucks be upon the guy who put this spark plug in-----oh wait, I know who it is.

Well-off to a machine shop. Unless the Kroil I'm soaking it in does some magic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#19]
An EZ out won't take that out?

What about heating the area with a torch, then shooting some canned air, upside down, through what's left of the plug to shrink it up?
I've used that trick before, the stuff comes out at like -50F if you flip it upside down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What about heating the area with a torch, then shooting some canned air, upside down, through what's left of the plug to shrink it up?
I've used that trick before, the stuff comes out at like -50F if you flip it upside down.

Hmmmm.....might have to give that a shot. Any concern about warping the head?
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I suspect I am blowing about $350 today on what you tried to help him with.  That said - I don't have time to pull the heads off my car if the last person who did the plugs screwed up.  Anti-seize, Bubba don't know what that is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just warm it up to a couple hundred degrees, don't get it glowing cherry red
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just warm it up to a couple hundred degrees, don't get it glowing cherry red

So if I want an egg sandwich, use the stove-got it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as they aren't aluminum there shouldn't be a problem, just be careful if you're using an Oxy torch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sister in law boyfriend? Not even close to family. Just drive off.

It's currently in my garage...

this sucks. you are right.  I have learned through long experience, I don't volunteer ANYTHING anymore. I ALWAYS get sucked in for more time, money and agony than it's worth.

that being said, you're a stand up guy, and doing the right thing in the grand scheme. he better be there helping you through the whole thing though dammit. or at least bringing you beer and pizza!

Link Posted: 4/17/2013 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as they aren't aluminum there shouldn't be a problem, just be careful if you're using an Oxy torch.

yeahhhh, old Chevy v6s are all-iron boat anchors...
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Leave it's partner plug in the firing chain out... Instant conversion to V6 or V4 engine.  Think of how much 'greener' the truck is now.

I got my plug wires mixed up once on a tune up.  Its more of a 1, 4, 5, 3, rumble rumble, 1, 4, 5, 3, rumble, rumble.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]
So question....how does your sister-in-law have a boyfriend?

Being a sister-in-law implies she's married to your brother, or sister I guess. Her having a boyfriend implies she isn't married. WTF is going on here?
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
i'll help out anyone that asks.  
but i work at a parts store and moonlight as a mechanic when time permits so this is kinda the norm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Being a sister-in-law implies she's married to your brother, or sister I guess. Her having a boyfriend implies she isn't married. WTF is going on here?

Or its his wife's sister?

Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

derp.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry man, wish I saw this thread earlier. There is a real easy fix to this problem.

You need to call up your sister in law and tell her that her boyfriend started talkig shit about her, make up somethig real good, or say you found a bunch of used condoms and lube in the trunk. Then your spark plug problem will basically fix itself!
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or its his wife's sister?  

Ding ding derp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Still waiting for pics of the sister-in-law.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Reunited at last! Machine shop had it out in under an hour.  Whole engine is buttoned back up, just need to set the timing but now the battery has a short.  SOMEBODY had a speaker system at one time, took out the amp and left the power lead and it drained the battery over and over and over.  Now the battery won't take a charge.  So now SOMEBODY is going and getting his own damn battery.  After that, I'll set the timing tonight and get my garage and free time back.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Reunited at last! Machine shop had it out in under an hour.

What did they have to do?

Whole engine is buttoned back up, just need to set the timing but now the battery has a short.  SOMEBODY had a speaker system at one time, took out the amp and left the power lead and it drained the battery over and over and over.

My 350Z had a whole mess of wires left over from the previous owner's stereo, same deal, cut power leads, but at least mine didn't short.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reunited at last! Machine shop had it out in under an hour.

What did they have to do?

Hammered in an EZ Out they had, used a breaker bar.  My eazy out was pushing into the threads, there's grabbed the little bit of meat before the threads.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#38]
There are 2 timing marks on a Vortec 4.3L-never would've guessed.
Update in OP
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Confucius say:

"He who work on other peoples ride ends up with penis in ass"  

TAC say:

Never ever work on any ones car, hell my butt puckers when I have to work on my old ladies truck and I help pay for it

GOOD JOB OP!

Been there, now I will only change oil and do easy brake pad changes for family/friends. Even that 50% of the time still sticks it in your ass!

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#40]
It's gone. Yay!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, that was quite a diversion from the original plan.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top