Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It is my understanding that the forces under Sam Houston as well as the rest of the army were more pissed off about the Goliad Massacre than the Alamo.  The reason for the continued resurgence of the story/movie/pride about the Alamo is that it makes for a better story.

The Goliad Massacre was not a tale that invoked pride and bravery, not did it have colourful characters like Davey and Bowie.  

If I remember my history, the cry of Remember Goliad was louder than Remember the Alamo at the battle of San Jacinto.

My .02 gleaned from my foggy memory of Texas History class.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#2]
No one has to call the Fatcobra names...it is self evident for all to see. Was WACO the second Alamo? They knew they were going to die if they stayed, and an overwhelming force murdered them also. What would you have done Fatcobra? Are you French...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't give a shit why the war was being fought, the actions of the men in the Alamo was brave.  I don't think it's "Revisionist History" to think that slavery had something to do with Texas independence...that's how people thought back then, and for some time after it.  

Going to school in California public schools, in a VERY liberal area, I know what "Revisionist History" is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I had read/heard that when Santa Ana allowed to women and children to leave the
Alamo he murdered them outside the fortruss and that is what prompted the "fight to
the death" battle cry.  
Were there no prisoners taken?  Were all killed in battle or were they executed after?

So often men and women fight and die for something they honor or believe in.  And so
many others look at them as fools.  They just don't see that if the tables were turned
they too would fight for a "the cause"  or else be marked as cowards.

Knowing their fate,  those were some brave men at the Alamo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah I am pretty sure TN may have been slightly involved in the Alamo

Hell TX would not exist if folks from TN had not gotten lost.

I bet they weren't lost, but rather just a mite confused about their location for a bit.

"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am a Virginian now living in Texas.  I know a lot about Virginia history, and I am learning about the history of Texas. The slavery issue was indeed part of the issue that led up to the Alamo, but it was not THE issue, so don't get your panties all wadded up over nothing.
The big issue with modern Texans is that the men at the Alamo believed in what they were doing, and were willing to die rather than surrender their cause. Some left before the battle and lived. Everybody that stayed, died fighting, or were murdered by Mexican troops after the battle. This battle is considered to be the beginnng of  the Republic of Texas, and the defeat of Santa Anna at San Jacinto really sealed the independance of Texas from Mexico. I feel sorry for you panty waste that don't think the Alamo is an important piece of history. There were ZERO native born Texans at the Alamo, but you don't have to be born here to be a Texan. Those men were from all over the south, and were determined to live free, and they were still free when they died, and in death, they became Texans. If you don't appreciate that, you can kiss my...on second thought, you don't deserve to.

While this applies to Americans at the Alamo, it does not take into account the large percentage of Mexican Texans who took part in the battle.  Most of the native Mexicans in Texas at the time wanted their independance as well
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I really need to get back to Texas fast.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Psssst.

Hey guys...

The Alamo doesn't exist anymore.

Wrong.

Dude, the Alamo was a fortress. The fortress is long gone, buddy. It doesn't exist anymore.

When people say they are going to see "The Alamo," they are really going to see a church that was inside the fortress.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh, and Wob-Gob. No Alamo will come as a big surprise to the millions who visit every year.

hotx.com/alamo/nualamo2.gif

That's not the Alamo. It's a church.  The Alamo doesn't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Look at the damn date on the blog. May of last year=ancient history. We beat this horse to death almost a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."

<-----------
Give 'em Hell Davy!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.headsbunker.com/html/2005/05/nickelodeon-craps-on-alamo.html

Contrary to a texans thinking the alamo means squat to the rest of the 49 states.

Uh... bullshit to that ignorance.

+1

Another Plus 1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Contrary to a texans thinking the alamo means squat to the rest of the 49 states.

Uh... bullshit to that ignorance.

+1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Some of the defenders may have been from TN, but they died TEXANS. Im from San Antonio and I drive by the Alamo everyday. It is a symbol of Freedom and what people are willing to do for it. We were a nation before we were state. Im proud to be a Texan and American.

While I appreciate the close relationship between TX & TN, we here are pretty damned proud of our heros and they are without a doubt Tennesseans, not Texans (though I guess they could have some sort of dual citizenship).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Contrary to your thinking, you don't have a damn clue what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks for this article, this guy has a good set of articles on AK74 build. Looks like I'm going to have some good reading. Thanks!

As for the Alamo... America wouldn't be the same without the Alamo and the people who won Texas.

It's just too bad that the Mexicans have taken the south back without firing a shot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Some people are FatCobra is so ignorant, I begin to feel embarrassed for them hin.  

Fixed it for you.
Some are dense enough to need things explained in explicit terms.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Time to play a little Devil's Advocate.

Where/when/why did Nickelodeon say this, I got was Nickelodeon said this, nothing more, Thats a pretty weak argument if you don't provide a source.

That said if they did say that, and I don't doubt they did, thats FUCKING bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would very strongly disagree with that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He seems to think that they "KICKED BUTT" because they ONLY killed 187 Texans. THERE WERE ONLY 187 AVAILABLE.

So whats YOUR point.

The point is that the guys on Wake Island all got killed or captured, but they were tougher than hell and brave, and were prepared to fight to the last man.

That kind of determination is honorable.

THAT is my point.

And THAT is the point of the Alamo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It was the galant stand at San Antonio followed by the masscre of Goliad that bought precious time for Sam Houston and spurred recruitment.  Had they not happened many historians agree Texas would have remained a part of Mexico and a very good chance the Mexican War never would have happened.

Its very difficult to predict how that would alter history but one thing for sure, the illegal immigrant from Mexico sure would have a shorter walk.
Tj

Indeed.

Like the battle at Thermopalye pass, it was a few men placing themselves in a hopeless situation and using their own lives to buy time for others who would live on to make ready and give an adequate defense.

It was an honorable stand.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Cant we all stop feeding the troll fatcobra?His mommy will put him to bed soon anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only to the ignorant, maybe?!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't presume to lay your lack of understanding on the rest of the 49 states.  Honor, duty in the face of overwhelming odds, fighting to the last man because it gives others a chance.... those things may be meaningless to you, but to many others they mean much.

Your sentiment is your own.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have mistaken the fact that Texans give a shit about the other 49 states.  How many of those states had the balls to be an independant country?  Why we tied ourselves down with all of that dead weight I'll never understand.  American by birth, Texan by the grace of God.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
All Tennesseans should remember the Alamo if for nothig other than David Crockett, a true Voulnteer who told congress "You can go to hell--I am going to Texas".

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have mistaken the fact that Texans give a shit about the other 49 states.  How many of those states had the balls to be an independant country?  Why we tied ourselves down with all of that dead weight I'll never understand.  American by birth, Texan by the grace of God.....

I will NEVER understand the arrogance of some Texans (lack of education is what it boils down to). Most have Zero clue about the rest of the country. If they knew what good REALLY was they would not be boasting about texas the way they do.
Texas is not whats its cracked up to be. The VAST majority of the U.S is a much better place than texas (Education,Raising children,Quality of life, etc...) Texas falls way behind in national statistics.

BTW I am a texan
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am a texan

That made my side hurt.

It made my brain hurt.

Ok so there are atleast 3 of us who have a clue. You two guys are not so dumb afterall
But Doublefeed has minus points for that avatar.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Why is the Alamo such a state icon to Texans? Serious question. AFAIK, it's a place where Santa Anna's army laid siege to civilians as well as military, in far greater forces, and were held off for a short while. Sam Houston made it a rallying cry to the Texans fighting Santa Anna at that time, but why do Texans still hold so much reverence for it.

Again, serious question. I'd like to know.

It was our Pearl Harbour
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
BTW I am a texan

live in Austin ? You might live in this state buddy, but buy no means are you a Texan
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Some of you are actually sitting there thinking that a story of bravery, self sacrifice, and responsibility to duty and defense of your homeland against immense odds isn't something that everyone should be proud of?

Yeah gosh, wouldn't want kids learning about any of that and maybe instilling pride or values in them, perish the thought.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is the Alamo such a state icon to Texans? Serious question. AFAIK, it's a place where Santa Anna's army laid siege to civilians as well as military, in far greater forces, and were held off for a short while. Sam Houston made it a rallying cry to the Texans fighting Santa Anna at that time, but why do Texans still hold so much reverence for it.

Again, serious question. I'd like to know.

We kicked butt despite being wiped out. (wonders if he should post again in this thread haha) What was it 300 vs almost  2000?

It's the Texan version of Thermopolaye
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW I am a texan

live in Austin ? You might live in this state buddy, but buy no means are you a Texan

Its a pretty good bet I live closer to the alamo than you do. Why am I not a texan? Because I disagree with the way some texans conduct themselves? Your attitude is EXACTLY what makes texans look so bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
BTW I am a texan

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I hate people now days, everyone has to find the bad things about people or events. If we keep destroying our heros what is there to live up to? Yes maybe they did have slaves but they fail to notice the good traits they had like standing up for your rights even if they mean certain death. If we keep from trying to do all the bad things we will fail because we will have failed to do any good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW I am a texan

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I thank every VOLUNTEER that fought and died at the Siege at the Alamo as often as I can.  

Psychic hot line?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW I am a texan

Its a pretty good bet I live closer to the alamo than you do. Why am I not a texan? Because I disagree with the way some texans conduct themselves? Your attitude is EXACTLY what makes texans look so bad.

Strange.  The attitude and way in which the majority of Texans I've met conduct themselves is one of the primary reasons I'd considered moving to that wonderful land.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Texas wouldn't be Texas without the sacrifice of 189 GREAT MEN from all over the United States, and the world.  I thank every VOLUNTEER that fought and died at the Siege at the Alamo as often as I can.  Those stubborn bastards were full of piss and vinegar, but more than that they were filled with a sense of Duty and Honor that some people sadly just do NOT understand.

Defenders of the Alamo

Alabama - 3
James Buchanan
Galba Fuqua
Isaac White*

Arkansas - 2
Isaac G. Baker
Jesse G. Thompson

Connecticut - 1
Gordon C. Jennings

Georgia - 5
Albert Calvin Grimes
William T. Malone
Eliel Melton
Manson Shied
William Wells

Illinois - 1
Jonathan L. Lindley

Kentucky - 15(16)
Peter James Bailey III
James Bowie
Danniel William Cloud
Jacob C. Darst
John Davis
William Keener Faunterloy
John E. Gaston
John Harris
William Daniel Jackson
Green B. Jameson
John Benjamin Kellog
Andrew Kent
Joseph Rutherford
B. Archer M. Thomas
Joseph G. Washington
Isaac White*

Louisiana - 4
Charles Despallier
James W. Garrand
Joseph Kerr
Isaac Ryan

Maryland - 1
Charles S. Smith

Massachusetts - 4
John Flanders
William D. Howell
William Linn
Amos Pollard

Mississippi - 3
M.B. Clark
Isaac Millsaps
Willis A. Moore

Missouri - 6
William Charles M. Baker
George D. Butler
Charles Henry Clark
George Washington Cottle
Jerry C. Day
George W. Tumlinson

New Hampshire - 1
Robert E. Cochran

New Jersey - 1
Richard L. Stockton

New York - 6
Robert Cunningham
Lewis Dewall
Samuel B. Evans
John Hubbard Forsyth
John Jones
James Tylee

North Carolina - 7
Micajah Autry
Dolphin Ward Floyd
William Parks
Mail Scurlock
Joshua G. Smith
John W. Thomson
Claiborne Wright

Ohio - 4
William B. Harrison
Tapley Holland
Robert Musselman
James M. Rose

Pennsylvania - 14
John J. Ballentine
James Brown
John Cain
Robert Crossman
David P. Cummings
James Hannum
Samuel Holloway
William Johnson
George C. Kimbell
William McDowell
John Purdy Reynolds
John M. Thruston
Hiram James Williamson
John Wilson

Rhode Island - 1
Albert Martin

South Carolina - 7
James Butler Bonham
Lemuel Crawford
George Neggan
Edward Nelson
George Nelson
Cleveland Kinlock Simmons
William Barret Travis

Tennessee - 30
Joseph Bayliss
John Blair
Samuel Blair
Jesse B. Bowman
Robert Campbell
David Crockett
Squire Daymon
William Dearduff
Almeron Dickinson
John Henry Dillard
James L. Ewing
James Girard Garrett
Andrew Jackson Harrison
John M. Hays
Charles M. Heiskell
William Marshall
Jesse McCoy
Robert McKinney
Thomas R. Miller
William Mills
Andrew M. Nelson
James Waters Robertson
A. Spain Summerlin
William E. Summers
Edward Taylor
George Taylor
James Taylor
William Taylor
Asa Walker
Jacob Walker

Texas - 11
Juan Abamillo
Juan A. Badillo
Carlos Espalier
Gregorio Esparaza
Antonio Fuentes
Jose Maria Guerrero
Damacio Jimenes
William Philip King
Toribio Losoya
Andres Nava
Richardson Perry

Vermont - 1
Miles Deforreest Andross

Virginia - 12
Robert Allen
John J. Baugh
William R. Carey
William Garnett
John C. Goodrich
Patrick Henry Herndon
James Kenney
William Irvine Lewis
William J. Lightfoot
Edward F. Mitchusson
Robert B. Moore
James Northcross

Denmark - 1
Charles Zanco

England - 12
William Blazeby
Daniel Bourne
George Brown
Stephen Dennison**
James R. Dimpkins
James C. Gwynne
William Daniel Hersee
James Nowlan
Marcus L. Sewell
Richard Starr
James E. Stewart
Thomas Waters

Germany - 2
Henry Courtman
Henry Thomas

Ireland - 9(10)
Samuel E. Burns
Stephen Dennison**
Andrew Duvalt
Robert Evans
Joseph M. Hawkins
Thomas Jackson
James McGee
Jackson J. Rusk
Burke Trammel
William B. Ward

Scotland - 4
Richard W. Ballantine
John McGregor
Isaac Robinson
David L. Wilson

Wales - 1
Lewis Johnson

unknown - 20
Robert Brown
Freeman H.K. Day
William Fishbaugh
John E. Garvin
James George
Edward McCafferty
Edwin T. Mitchell
Napoleon B. Mitchell
George Pagan
Christopher Adam Parker
Thomas H. Roberts
Andrew H. Smith
William H. Smith
William DePriest Sutherland
Henry Warnell
George Washington Main
Robert White
William Wills
Anthony Wolf
John ___?___ - a Black Freedman

*Isaac White - hailed from Alabama or Kentucky
**Stephen Dennison hailed from England or Ireland THANK YOU from me.

Thank you, sirs.
gloftoe.com/texas.gif

Thank you for the post....really put  it all into perspective.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Know one thing that's kinda sad?

I live here, and a lot of people around here (maybe from out of town, I don't know...) actually didn't know that we were defeated at the Alamo.  

And one of the jokes about San Antonio is that you know you're from here when you've never seen the Alamo in real life.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am a Virginian now living in Texas.  I know a lot about Virginia history, and I am learning about the history of Texas. The slavery issue was indeed part of the issue that led up to the Alamo, but it was not THE issue, so don't get your panties all wadded up over nothing.
The big issue with modern Texans is that the men at the Alamo believed in what they were doing, and were willing to die rather than surrender their cause. Some left before the battle and lived. Everybody that stayed, died fighting, or were murdered by Mexican troops after the battle. This battle is considered to be the beginnng of  the Republic of Texas, and the defeat of Santa Anna at San Jacinto really sealed the independance of Texas from Mexico. I feel sorry for you panty waste that don't think the Alamo is an important piece of history. There were ZERO native born Texans at the Alamo, but you don't have to be born here to be a Texan. Those men were from all over the south, and were determined to live free, and they were still free when they died, and in death, they became Texans. If you don't appreciate that, you can kiss my...on second thought, you don't deserve to.

While this applies to Americans at the Alamo, it does not take into account the large percentage of Mexican Texans who took part in the battle.  Most of the native Mexicans in Texas at the time wanted their independance as well

They're called Tejanos not Mexican Texans. To call them Mexicans is an insult, Tejanos are some of the finest people I know.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top