User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Nascar will be fun again when they go back to simpler rules, like these:

Your car must be based on a production model.   A defined percentage of the body must be production sheet metal.

You get 350 cubic inches to play with.  No more, no less.   No nitrous, no turbo, no blower.  Beyond that, do what you want to.  

Car must meet these safety standards. (Insert safety regulations here.)

No other restrictions.    Go crazy.

I'd watch that.  The auto companies would be COMPETING again.

CJ

$$$$$$$$$$$

I would end up a 5 car field in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Oh, and let's not forget that the tobacco sponshorship sends a bad vibe to the young viewers.  But Bush, stopped right here in Phoenix, legally drunk, is allowed to race.    Go figure.

Well, at least I have the memories.  

I'm with you, when I was 10 years old my dad worked on the Apollo Program at Cape Kennedy. He gave me a ride on the back of his Harley up to Daytona for the "Sportsman" race the day before the Firecracker 400. Back then the Sportsman cars ran 6  cylinders while the big boys in the Grand National cars had V-8s.

After the race, the GN cars came out for an hour or so of practice. I'll never forget seeing Richard Petty's blue & red Plymouth Superbird came by the grandstand so fast you could FEEL the air compress as it went by!

I've been hooked ever since.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
[What is your suggestion to this, if it isn't plates........

280 ci.  Big carbs. Roller cams with limited lift.  3 sp trans.    The 3 sp is going to make the engine builder have to build a wide powerband with some lowend torque.  The little motor will probably have to have the throttle fed in slowly or it will bog.   Limited cam lift will kill the high rpm the little motor would be capable of turning.

rj
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Latest update from Jayski...

UPDATE 3 - Suspension?: #48 Crew chief Chad Knaus faces possible suspension for altering the height of the rear window in driver Jimmie Johnson's car before Sunday's qualifying for the Daytona 500. The biggest penalty could come as early as Monday against Knaus, according to a NASCAR source. According to the source, an instrument was placed inside the car that raised the rear window after it went through pre-qualifying inspection to provide an aerodynamic advantage. The height difference was discovered during a post-qualifying inspection and considered a flagrant attempt to gain a competitive advantage.(NASCAR.com)(2-12-2006)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The 48 time is disallowed.......for traction control??? WTF???

I hope they ban his ass if it's true.

AND the front row BOTH look like they are in trouble.

NASCAR has found problems with Jeff Burton's engine and Jeff Gordon's car?

Anybody got updates on any of this?

most good race car/bike drivers can do better than the computer at controling their vehicles in traction control.  It was studied years ago...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NASCAR has increasingly become sissified. All these new rule "For their safety". Not saying I want or need to see dead and injured drivers but the rules have become burdensome and ridiculous.

I know the TC rule has been around but I am mostly refering to the new rules that have come in the aftermath of Dale Earnhardt's death

+ A Gazillion!!
It's getting less appealling each year for me. The restrictor plates make it more  dangerous,
and everybody knows it except the desk jockey morons that make the rules.
You could tell the Dale jr. & Tony Stewart wanted to speak out, but they knew they'd get penalized
and kept quiet. Someone's going to get hurt this year. I hope I'm wrong but with all those cars bunched up at 180mph it's only a matter of time.

Go Bill Elliott !!!
Too bad he's driving a chevy

+1 i sure miss the #9 ford
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
NA$CAR has mandated what they call The Car of Tomorrow for use next year. Big ugly thing with the drivers sitting more toward the middle. Looks like a cross between the current trucks and the cars. Supposed to be less areo dependant than the current car. We'll see if it makes them easier to race in a pack.

Lots of beating and banging in the Shootout. If they run like that Sunday with the full field there won't be 10 whole cars finish.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#9]
They all cheat, some just do it better then others, NASCAR makes the rules the good teams ( the one with the $$$ ) find a way around the rules
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 48 time is disallowed.......for traction control??? WTF???

I hope they ban his ass if it's true.

AND the front row BOTH look like they are in trouble.

NASCAR has found problems with Jeff Burton's engine and Jeff Gordon's car?

Anybody got updates on any of this?

most good race car/bike drivers can do better than the computer at controling their vehicles in traction control.  It was studied years ago...

Years ago the technology was not what it is now.

I went to the PRI (Performance Racing Industry) Show this year.
We looked at TC and saw it demo'ed. It retards the timing so fast that you can't see it with the naked eye, or hear it in the engine, the WHOLE system was about the size of a 9 volt battery.

TC will typically knock off 1 or 2 tenths on a good driver.

BTW.......what study was this and what is your source?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Latest update from Jayski...

UPDATE 3 - Suspension?: #48 Crew chief Chad Knaus faces possible suspension for altering the height of the rear window in driver Jimmie Johnson's car before Sunday's qualifying for the Daytona 500. The biggest penalty could come as early as Monday against Knaus, according to a NASCAR source. According to the source, an instrument was placed inside the car that raised the rear window after it went through pre-qualifying inspection to provide an aerodynamic advantage. The height difference was discovered during a post-qualifying inspection and considered a flagrant attempt to gain a competitive advantage.(NASCAR.com)(2-12-2006)

Thanks Burley.....I'm glad you caught that.

Jay already took the whole story down. He has now become an insider (and I'm sure friends with those guys) over the last few years and has become politically correct. I can't imagine why he would delete the whole story.......but he did.
Back in the late 90's he was the best source by far for NASCAR news and rumors. Now days he is just another damned news reporter and not much more

It's a shame......
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:45:32 AM EDT
[#12]
NASCAR is just another symptom on the dying US auto manufacturers.

Next year when Toyota comes in, it will just be one more nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Watching NASCAR Live on Speed right now.

Confirmed that the 48's time is DQ, and Knaus is facing suspension.  Jimmy may start the year in negative points.  The 31 (Burton) WILL have the pole (nothing wrong with the engine or carb, which they suspected).  Way to go Jeff Burton!  He's a good guy.  No word on Gordon.  The last thing they said was that lots of cars are being watched, and then they went to Tony Stuart's comments about how someone is going to die because of the bump drafting.  He didn't seem too happy.  

The Daytona ARCA race is on next  Time to crack a cold one.  

If they report anything else, I'll let y'all know.  

Edit to change ASA to ARCA.  Damn.  I really do suck at this posting thing.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Jay already took the whole story down. He has now become an insider (and I'm sure friends with those guys) over the last few years and has become politically correct. I can't imagine why he would delete the whole story.......but he did.
Back in the late 90's he was the best source by far for NASCAR news and rumors. Now days he is just another damned news reporter and not much more

Wonder if being sponsored by ESPN.com has made him back down a little. ESPN will be carrying the races on 07 and maybe they don't want him biting the hand that feeds them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]
msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5327626

Tony Stewart worried about bump drafting.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Defending Nextel Cup series champion Tony Stewart criticized superspeedway racing following his third-place finish in the Budweiser Shootout on Sunday, saying "we're going to hurt somebody really, really bad."

Stewart said "bump drafting" was out of control, with drivers slamming into competitors heading into turns, running through them and coming out of them.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#16]
For those that care, Knaus has been bounced for at least the Daytona 500.  Story is on ESPN.com.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NASCAR has increasingly become sissified. All these new rule "For their safety". Not saying I want or need to see dead and injured drivers but the rules have become burdensome and ridiculous.

I know the TC rule has been around but I am mostly refering to the new rules that have come in the aftermath of Dale Earnhardt's death

What rules specifically do you dislike and feel are "sissified"?

Just curious.

Restrictor plates, HANS devices, Softer rubber, different spoilerr, ALL the new penalties they have dreamt up in the last several years...

Not to mention the crybaby drivers

The deliberate delay on a LIVE show, cant have someone say a naughty word

ets, etc,
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For those that care, Knaus has been bounced for at least the Daytona 500.  Story is on ESPN.com.

Looks like Knaus will be sitting on the beach getting a tan. I think he should take his boy Jimmie with him.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like Knaus will be sitting on the beach getting a tan. I think he should take his boy Jimmie with him.

+1.  Those drivers know every pitch of every bolt on their cars.  Don't tell me Jimmy didn't know he was breaking a rule (and a big one at that).  Why should their punishments be any different, besides pissing of Lowe's?  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top