BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Not my website or company.
I just searched google to give an example of proper waterproofing techniques.
But you are right that doesn't meet osha regs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been talking to the sales lady. She said the site superintendent says it is fine and they will keep an eye on it to see if it leaks.

I told her it is not acceptable and that it 100% needs to be epoxy filled before I buy the house.

She then said I just have to talk to the site superintendent when I do my pre drywall inspection.

Looks like I have a fight on my hands and the house is in volo IL so not in tornado alley.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been talking to the sales lady. She said the site superintendent says it is fine and they will keep an eye on it to see if it leaks.

I told her it is not acceptable and that it 100% needs to be epoxy filled before I buy the house.

She then said I just have to talk to the site superintendent when I do my pre drywall inspection.

Looks like I have a fight on my hands and the house is in volo IL so not in tornado alley.
View Quote
Having been a superintendent  for a national home builder, I bet you will hear the phrase "within tolerance " as in a crack that small is within their tolerance for not needing to do anything additional.
As others have said, I wouldn't be too concerned with that crack. If there is drainage coming in, it could just be because maybe the foundation hasn't been waterproofed yet, or maybe gutters aren't installed yet or final grading hasn't been done yet, which all could direct water to that area, overwhelming the foundation drains that may or may not have been installed yet. I would bet once it is properly water proofed, gutters installed and graded so water is draining away from your foundation, it won't be a problem.
Talk about it with the superintendent, send an email so you have a record of your concerns, and re-check at your final walk through to ensure it isn't an on going problem.
Remember, you signed a contract to buy that house, and if there isn't some verification from an engineer that the house isn't structurally sound, you will lose money by backing out of the contract.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is drainage tile around the house that leads to a sump pit. The sump pump is not installed yet so maybe that is why. Also 4 other houses I saw being built have shrinkage cracks.
View Quote
You already need a sump pump to keep out the water from your already cracked foundation?  And this is "normal" for this builder?

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
crack all the way through is not acceptable
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm guessing there's no roof and gutters on the home yet? And the final grade isn't set? Did it just rain a Bunch?

Any foundation or joint in a foundation will leak if water gets by it.

I think you are doing good getting it noted now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You really need to hire a civil engineer with expertise in this area. The engineer is the only one who can wave their magic wand and declare it fit or unfit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Contractors are lying thieving pieces of shit.

Go from there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What depth below ground level are the footings?
What type of soil.
Is there a French drain all around the house?

If the footings are 5' or deeper you are below the frost line and the house should not move.

If the contractor is willing to go the extra mile and repair the crack and properly waterproof the exterior of the foundation like in the link below I would have no problem with that.

Link
Nothing like having evidence of a willful violation on your web site. 

http://integritywaterproofing.com/files/2013/05/three-step-sealing-process-300x198.jpghttp://integritywaterproofing.com/files/2013/05/installing-dimple-drainage-mat-300x225.jpg
Ahh, there is always someone else looking for a job.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pay the money and have an civil engineer give you an answer.
View Quote
YES!  I had a house being built and the basement subcontractor put one of the basement walls completely off the footer by about 4 inches.  I went there every day and if work was done I photographed it.  If I'd have gone less often they would probably have had the basement floor poured and that would have hidden the footer problem.  I took the pictures to a civil engineer and he didn't even bother to go out to see the house.  Wrote me a report that I presented to the developer.  Words were exchanged but in a few weeks after I gave them the engineers report they agreed to a cancellation and refunded all of my deposit.  

Other people having houses built there tried to get their money back by demanding a refund and cancellation and were told to pound sand.  I got my money back by demanding all the defects be fixed properly (as in tear down and redo from the footer up) or we'd be in court suing to have the work done right.  I was bluffing and didn't want any part of that crappily built house.  The day of the refund they cut a check for our deposit and drove it and cancellation paperwork up from Cincinnati to Dayton and handed it to my wife when she signed off on the cancellation.  When she had asked if they needed me there to sign off they said "NO!".
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just saw this post, the so called site super is full of crap.  In one or two years you're probably out of warranty.

Your third pic of the exterior should have shown a drainage panel between the waterproofing and the soil.  A drainage panel allows water to flow to the footing drain and it protects the spayed in place water proofing from damage.  Note the rocks in the stock pile of soil...  

IMO, the super should excavate the location at the crack, clean the wall and cover it with a bituthene or similar product.  He/she should inject the crack too.  It's too late to worry about the drainage panel.  I'm almost certain that they wrote the specifications.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Concrete gets hard
Concrete cracks

There, now you know the two universal facts about concrete.

I'd want to see pictures of the exterior waterproofing. You did pay for exterior waterproofing, yes?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
My next home will be one level on a slab. Fuck basements.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't see your pic .... but assuming this is poured concrete absolutely refuse it. The crack is full depth? That is fucked.

FWIW I am a PE (civil engineering) and work in the heavy construction industry, heavy as in I pour 100s-1000s of yards of concrete on my projects.

ETA: for it to qualify as a "shrinkage" crack it shouldn't be deeper than an 1/8". Again if you are sure the crack is full depth, that isn't a crack, your wall is fucking broken in two. All concrete will crack, that is normal, it will shrink. Even if it's not full depth I wouldn't accept it at all with any crack over say 1/4".

How thick are the walls?

ETA #2 I would also want to see how wide the crack is.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Concrete gets hard
Concrete cracks

I'd want to see pictures of the exterior waterproofing. You did pay for exterior waterproofing, yes?
View Quote
Here you go, scroll down
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can't see your pic .... but assuming this is poured concrete absolutely refuse it. The crack is full depth? That is fucked.

FWIW I am a PE (civil engineering) and work in the heavy construction industry, heavy as in I pour 100s-1000s of yards of concrete on my projects.

ETA: for it to qualify as a "shrinkage" crack it shouldn't be deeper than an 1/8". Again if you are sure the crack is full depth, that isn't a crack, your wall is fucking broken in two. All concrete will crack, that is normal, it will shrink. Even if it's not full depth I wouldn't accept it at all with any crack over say 1/4".

How thick are the walls?

ETA #2 I would also want to see how wide the crack is.
View Quote
My guess is the "developer"( that doesn't know squat about construction) doesn't observe if the subcontractor adds excess water instead of super to the mix.  I would love to see those delivery tickets and "the water added".

It could have been that they had a bad day with heat and the sun but from the OP's description it sounds like a pattern.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concrete gets hard
Concrete cracks

Here you go, scroll down
Was the water leakage after the water proofing was applied?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concrete gets hard
Concrete cracks

Here you go, scroll down
The crack is insignificant, the exterior waterproofing is inadequately applied.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concrete gets hard
Concrete cracks

Here you go, scroll down
I wouldn't call it insignificant but I agree that it doesn't look like it will cause any structural issues.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wouldn't call it insignificant but I agree that it doesn't look like it will cause any structural issues.
View Quote
Having done that work for a significant number of years, that crack doesn't even deserve a second glance. The waterproofing isn't the proper type, thickness, or application method.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Having done that work for a significant number of years, that crack doesn't even deserve a second glance. The waterproofing isn't the proper type, thickness, or application method.
View Quote
My guess is that they removed the forms and waterproofed the wall before the crack developed.  It's only a picture but the mil thickness looks too thin to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if they did a partial backfill before the floor was installed to stabilize the walls.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#22]
If the water table is that high you might want to skip the whole basement thing....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#23]
As others have said it does not appear to be too big of a deal.  The foundation company, if they are a big enough outfit, should have 1 or 2 guys dedicated to fixing small cracks like that.  It can be done a couple ways but around here anyways usually involves drilling some holes along the crack and filling it with epoxy.  

Not sure how the crack formed but sometimes if the person performing the backfill is newer, they could have pushed too hard against the foundation while backfilling.  Might want to see if the wall is bowed slightly at that point.  Again is not too big of a concern if "within tolerance".
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not here for a pissing match, just giving my 2 cents to a fellow arfcomer. I too do this for a living and a crack significant enough to leak water, full height of the wall, in the middle of a form, isn't something to ignore. Now granted I don't build homes but for what I do the inspectors I deal with would absolutely call us out on this. Doesn't mean we windup tearing down the wall but it wouldn't be ignored.

And yes clearly the waterproofing wasn't applied correctly.

Again doesn't appear to be of structural concern. Measure the crack width and monitor it. Take a sharpie and draw a line across it and monitor it for differential movement. Have the waterproofing corrected.

Good luck with your new home and congrats!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Residential wall guys add way too much water when pouring because loose concrete is easier to pour, it flows better. They are diluting the mix, a 4000PSI mix is only 4000PSI with the correct amount of water.

With that said only 2 guarantees with concrete, it gets hard and cracks.

Epoxy sucks because no one does it properly, the problems are mostly in the cleaning stage, the epoxy itself is fine but the dust from drilling and the mud particles that followed all that water you see seeping in screws up the bonding process.

Waterproofing membrane is the best IMO.

Tell the builder you want a waterproofing company to fix it NOT the company that did the wall, make sure they tell you who it is first then call them yourself and find out what they do for a crack like you have.

If he argues ask him for the name of the company that supplied the concrete and demand copies of the delivery slips (don't say why you want them). The truck driver will have written down how much additional water was added to the mix on site.

The concrete company won't lie about the added water because this number is a get out jail free card for them, think about it, they delivered a 4000PSI mix and the foreman from the wall company changed it by adding more water.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not here for a pissing match, just giving my 2 cents to a fellow arfcomer. I too do this for a living and a crack significant enough to leak water, full height of the wall, in the middle of a form, isn't something to ignore. Now granted I don't build homes but for what I do the inspectors I deal with would absolutely call us out on this. Doesn't mean we windup tearing down the wall but it wouldn't be ignored.

Again doesn't appear to be of structural concern. Measure the crack width and monitor it. Take a sharpie and draw a line across it and monitor it for differential movement. Have the waterproofing corrected.

View Quote
As a pe with lots of experience in concrete, I agree.

Move in and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#27]
My parents bought a house and had it for about 8 years before they discovered that there were major cracks in the foundation and basement wall. After some digging around, they discovered that the guy that inspected and signed off on it was a relative to the wife of the couple that sold it. The previous owner and contractor had died since the sale so there was nobody they could go after for it. House was condemned, they gave it back to the bank and are still digging their way out of the hole that put in their credit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just saw this post, the so called site super is full of crap.  In one or two years you're probably out of warranty.

Your third pic of the exterior should have shown a drainage panel between the waterproofing and the soil
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your third pic of the exterior should have shown a drainage panel between the waterproofing and the soil
Quoted:

Was the water leakage after the water proofing was applied?
Quoted:
The waterproofing isn't the proper type, thickness, or application method.
That is not waterproofing it is damp proofing.   When the wall cracks so does the damp proofing spray on membrane and it then allows water in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Contractors are lying thieving pieces of shit.

Go from there.
View Quote
Haha think they get that way from trying to keep dumbass, ignorant homeowners happy?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My parents bought a house and had it for about 8 years before they discovered that there were major cracks in the foundation and basement wall. After some digging around, they discovered that the guy that inspected and signed off on it was a relative to the wife of the couple that sold it. The previous owner and contractor had died since the sale so there was nobody they could go after for it. House was condemned, they gave it back to the bank and are still digging their way out of the hole that put in their credit.
View Quote
Arf always says to get a home inspection so some dipshit can charge you 500 bucks...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
You guys do foundation repairs, or general contracting?
Reason I asked is because I have two questions if you are foundation guys.
1: How much should I expect to spend on fixing / stabilizing a house with roughly 2/3 of it on a crawlspace? (Corners of blocks are cracked)
2: Is this more common than not?
I've looked around at a few places, and they ALL have some sort of cracks, and the one in the OP is very minor compared to what I have and what I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm not there to look at it, but just from the photos I would find it unacceptable.  How much horizontal rebar was placed in the wall before the pour?  If there was rebar, it should have controlled the cracking.  If there is little to no rebar, I would walk away.  At a minimum I would want #4's at 16" oc. in both directions.  Hairline cracks will always happen in concrete.

Don't let the super or realtor push you into something.  The only thing they care about is getting your money.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#34]
NVM.  Misread....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is there an out before Drywall?

You should have an out prior or at drywall.

Also,  I'm sure your lender will not like the idea of a cracked and leaking foundation.

They will tell the builder fix it or no funding.

Then he will have to fix it for the next guy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Crack got epoxy injected and the engineering report came back and the foundation is sound.

I'm on top of a hill so not near the water table gutters are not installed yet and final gradimg is not done.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pay the money and have an civil engineer give you an answer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/W1svidJ.jpg

That looks like a shrinkage crack.  I don't see any displacement.  It's not ideal but it will probably be okay with an injection to keep water out.  Did the builder damp-proof the exterior and install proper footing drains?

Freeze-thaw shouldn't affect it much, most of the wall is below frost depth.
View Quote
Shrinkage crack. A good carpenter would have stopped the horizontal rebar and placed a chamfer strip vertically so it would crack in a straight line.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#40]
When I built our first house, I had big learning experience.  I subconsciously equated a new house to a new TV.  Open the box take the TV out of the foam bag it's in and put the virgin TV on the wall.  Not a speck of dust, no fingerprints, no nothing but virgin TV.

Not so much.......

The building process is full of faults and something like your crack is perfectly normal.  The important thing in my opinion is that the builder waterproofs the exterior of the wall with liquid asphalt or whatever they use.  Just as important, if not more important, is drain tile.  When we built our second home, our builder (custom stick built home) did the drainage himself.  The drain lines were on both sides of the footer and led to the back of the foundation since we have a walkout.  We have cracks but have never had any leaks or moisture of any sort.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What type of soil.

If the footings are 5' or deeper you are below the frost line and the house should not move.

If the contractor is willing to go the extra mile and repair the crack and properly waterproof the exterior of the foundation like in the link below I would have no problem with that.

Link

http://integritywaterproofing.com/files/2013/05/three-step-sealing-process-300x198.jpghttp://integritywaterproofing.com/files/2013/05/installing-dimple-drainage-mat-300x225.jpg
Being a non-construction guy, what am I looking at here?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
And unsecured fall hazard AND an illegally occupied trench.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What type of soil.

Link

The bank is supposed to be dug back in tiers to avoid cave in potentially trapping/killing people.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#44]
How wide at top vs. bottom? Vertical crack, or diagonal? Any side-to-side displacement? At this stage, cracking looks really bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I was just tossing around the idea of building a pole barn then a small house. I don't know squat about the building process and what to look for so threads like these make it seem like I'm just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@1387Delta  
The trench is unsafe and needs to be: 
A. Sloped or benched to the proper requirements
B.  Have an adequate protective system installed

Several other violations starting with...no competent person

There is no duty to have fall protection around the trenches in the picture per OSHA, but it is advisable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Crack got epoxy injected and the engineering report came back and the foundation is sound.

I'm on top of a hill so not near the water table gutters are not installed yet and final gradimg is not done.
View Quote
I learned a long time ago that many times there's more water at the top of a hill than anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#49]
OP your in IL, untrained Illegal Alien Labor...
Sanctuary State...
Merica... Great isn't it...

Better get a dehumidifier and keep all the shit you plan store in your basement elevated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/2/9/9/6/lulwut_thumb.jpg

@1387Delta  
The trench is unsafe and needs to be: 
A. Sloped or benched to the proper requirements
B.  Have an adequate protective system installed

Several other violations starting with...no competent person

There is no duty to have fall protection around the trenches in the picture per OSHA, but it is advisable.
View Quote
Makes sense.. Thanks
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top