Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Full story

Clarke launches amnesty on pencils to reduce stabbings
By Nigel Morris, Home Affairs Correspondent
Published: 09 February 2006
A five-week nationwide pencils amnesty is being launched in the summer in an attempt to drive down numbers of
pencil stabbings.

More than 230 people were stabbed to death last year and concern over levels of pencilcrime have been highlighted by the killing of City lawyer Tom ap Rhys Pryce last month.

Under the amnesty, which will run between 24 May and 30 June in England, Wales and Scotland, members of the public can leave sharpened writing implements weapons in drop-in bins which will be provided at police stations throughout the country without
fear of prosecution.

Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, said: "Tackling printng and cursiveculture, especially among young people, is paramount to the safety of our communities, and I am determined to reduce the devastation caused by pencil crime."

He added: "Carrying pencils on the streets will not be tolerated. Every pencil handed in during the amnesty will be a weapon that cannot be used in crime."

The amnesty coincides with measures in the Violent Crime Bill, which is currently passing through Parliament, which
raises the minimum age for buying a pencil from 3 to 18. It also gives headteachers the power to search pupils for
pencils .

What a joke.  The Brits are becoming the laughingstock over this one.  

Next to be banned - Ice Skates - that sharpened blade may be used as a edged weapon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I figure within a hundred years either everyone in Britain will be dead from stupidity or trapped in padded cells so they can't hurt themselves.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What I've never been able to figure out is how handguns have remained legal in Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands, with anti Tony Blair running that part of the world.

Where is Oxfam, Amnesty Itl, IANSA, on that?

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
So now it is the "knife culture"... and we already had the "gun culture".

I never heard the term "gun culture" until it started being bandied about by the Brady bunch.  Like it was a cult or disease to be a gun owner.

We should start using the term "victim culture".

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top