Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you say that... PSA has lost a customer?

No.

Doh!

I lol'd
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I wouldn't return shit that I had in my hand.  Not right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn’t expect them to disassemble it and mic the parts but they are AR rifle manufacturers and parts sellers. A quick visual ain’t too much to ask for IMHO.

Well, not too much to ask but completely unrealistic. Its a TC from PSA dude.. during crazy times. Stake it and run it

My brother bought a PSA upper during the 0bama panic, about a month after Sandy Hook. BCG not staked. He sent that back, kept the upper and hought a BCG from Bravo.

8 months later he got a new, staked BCG back from PSA.

Yeah, no fucking way would I return a part for a minor issue like that in this climate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Or even wtf staking is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wat.

That's like expecting Walmart to inspect every piece of merchandise before they sell it.

Well... was this a standalone purchase or a complete upper? If it was just purchased as a bare bcg then I'd have zero expectation that PSA is running a QC check on Toolcrafts staking.

I wouldn't expect them to disassemble it and mic the parts but they are AR rifle manufacturers and parts sellers. A quick visual ain't too much to ask for IMHO.
I'm just telling you that your expectations are way too high. The kid in the shipping dept isn't even qualified to QC all of the thousands of parts that a retailer like PSA sells anyway.

Or even wtf staking is.

You guys have a point. Just pisses me off to see crappy work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What about parts?

Would you return parts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about parts?

Would you return parts?

Lol,  of course.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wat.

That's like expecting Walmart to inspect every piece of merchandise before they sell it.

Well... was this a standalone purchase or a complete upper? If it was just purchased as a bare bcg then I'd have zero expectation that PSA is running a QC check on Toolcrafts staking.

I wouldn't expect them to disassemble it and mic the parts but they are AR rifle manufacturers and parts sellers. A quick visual ain't too much to ask for IMHO.
I'm just telling you that your expectations are way too high. The kid in the shipping dept isn't even qualified to QC all of the thousands of parts that a retailer like PSA sells anyway.

Or even wtf staking is.

Yeah I get that. Good luck either way, but like that post above yours says I sure wouldn't send it back unless you don't need it for a while.

I've done one or two myself with a punch. I'll stake it for you no charge and 1 day turnaround if you want. No promises on beauty but it won't come loose when I'm done with it
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t expect them to disassemble it and mic the parts but they are AR rifle manufacturers and parts sellers. A quick visual ain’t too much to ask for IMHO.
View Quote

No store/reseller is going to pull parts out of manufacturer packaging and inspect something that should have already been QC'd.

This is on TC, but send it back to PSA and they'll make it right.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Meme fail

Poverty Pony is best pony

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine. I'll stake them no big deal.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This - big time.

Top stake it old school style and move on with life.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
From my post

I'd take a good look at the bolt carrier staking tool from Brownells.  It allows you to get good purchase on the carrier if you need to install a new gas key or replace one.

Larger quantities of gas key screws can also be found at McMaster-Carr here.  The product number is 92610A190.

A couple inch-pound wrenches are good to have around.  I use this for carrier key screws and scope mounts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Are keys flying the fuck off left and right? Or is this the same thing as people putting a colonoscopy camera into every part of a rifle looking for rust
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

ye i aint tripping either, but shoot there's at least 6 on this site right now.. heh, at almost twice the 'normal' price not very kosher.. who knows when we will see these at 70-80 bucks again. maybe not for a while at this rate
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently bought a "ToolCraft" parkerized FA C158 BCG, I noticed weak staking. Which seemed odd to me, I have ordered several TC BCG in the past and never seen the bolts used to hold on the gas key or weak staking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are keys flying the fuck off left and right? Or is this the same thing as people putting a colonoscopy camera into every part of a rifle looking for rust
View Quote

It's not that they'll fly off, it's that they will leak gas and cause your rifle to short stroke at what might be a bad time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I had to check mine after seeing this.  My most recent Toolcraft BCG from PSA had light staking that barely engaged the gas key bolts.  I tightened them down and started staking them farther with a spring center punch, but the oily BCG slipped in my hand and I somehow staked the hell out of my hand.  Be careful!

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My Armalite carrier wasn't staked.  Only took it 20 years to come loose.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With all the shit going on now I guess quality is a little too much to ask for. Fucking junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was an attempt, but it was a piss poor one at that.

With all the shit going on now I guess quality is a little too much to ask for. Fucking junk.

Have your husband stake it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Stake it yourself and move on.

NBD.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amazon part # for scope ?

This is the way that i didnt know about.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, not too much to ask but completely unrealistic. Its a TC from PSA dude.. during crazy times. Stake it and run it

For real. I would bite the bullet and stake it myself. The way things are it could take months to get a replacement, if ever.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Decided to stake it myself. Gives me a good reason to buy a couple of new tools. Last night I had a case of pissed off. This morning looks better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Decided to stake it myself. Gives me a good reason to buy a couple of new tools. Last night I had a case of pissed off. This morning looks better.
View Quote
 Good. I know the feeling though. I have been known to cut my nose off to spite my face.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, it’s going back. I’m not doing their work for them.
View Quote

Seems kind of silly. Waste time to package it back up, take it where ever you decide to ship from. Wait for it to come back.
I received 2 carriers from Palmetto State that weren't staked. Took me 5 minutes to go into the basement, find the hammer and punch and stake the 4 screws . Done. With no bitching and bellyaching.

Maybe send a message to Josiah. See what he says.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I recently bought a "ToolCraft" parkerized FA C158 BCG, I noticed weak staking. Which seemed odd to me, I have ordered several TC BCG in the past and never seen the bolts used to hold on the gas key or weak staking.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm wondering if some of these are Toolcraft carriers but being final assembled by a third party?

You would think an outfit like TC would run them through some kind of fixture that stakes them consistently every time.

All of mine have looked perfect.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Umm, there's no staking on a bolt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF, I'm going to have to inspect my bolts now, just to make sure.

I didn't know this was a thing.

Umm, there's no staking on a bolt.

I just checked all my bolts. None of them are staked. Guess I'll die.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Red Loctite that bad boy and get on with life
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#27]
The crap the arfcom drama lamas worry about.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Seems kind of silly. Waste time to package it back up, take it where ever you decide to ship from. Wait for it to come back.
I received 2 carriers from Palmetto State that weren't staked. Took me 5 minutes to go into the basement, find the hammer and punch and stake the 4 screws . Done. With no bitching and bellyaching.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it’s going back. I’m not doing their work for them.

Nah....clear heads prevailed when the sun came up. I’m just gonna stake it myself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nah....clear heads prevailed when the sun came up. I'm just gonna stake it myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's going back. I'm not doing their work for them.

Nah....clear heads prevailed when the sun came up. I'm just gonna stake it myself.
Good for you.  Post pics when you stake your hand like the other guy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Yep. Let my mouth overload my brain. Just seeing that new carrier with no staking and loose bolts ticked me off.

Ordered some new tools this morning. All good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No store/reseller is going to pull parts out of manufacturer packaging and inspect something that should have already been QC'd.

This is on TC, but send it back to PSA and they'll make it right.
View Quote

To be fair PSA owns Toolcraft now, so either way it kinda ends up on them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This morning looks better.
View Quote

The day is early.  It’ll go downhill soon enough.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Brownells sells a staking tool. HERE
View Quote

Why would I spend $85 on that when I already have a perfectly good hammer and chisel
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#36]
pretty clearly someone tried to stake that and just did a bad job at it. i'd bet that functions just as well as whatever you think of a properly staked rifle looks given tightened properly you don't need to stake it in the first place.

and people wonder why the EE participation is so tiny compared to the overall membership
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

To be fair PSA owns Toolcraft now, so either way it kinda ends up on them.
View Quote

That gets brought up in a lot of PSA threads but I haven't found anything confirming it. PSA's parent company (JJE Holdings) doesn't have them listed as one of their portfolio companies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Manage your expectations.
Stop expecting top tier product from budget suppliers.
Buy a dang punch, fix it and stop whining, it's not rocket surgery.

Even without staking, nobody is shooting enough right now to work it loose
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/P_MOACKS_png-1790632.JPG

Pocket Moacks Tool

I bought this years ago and for me solved all of my staking issues.
View Quote

+1

Got one years ago when you could buy bolt carriers and bolts cheaper than finding complete BCGs. Recently found complete bolts for about $35, but could not find any stripped carriers.

I need a couple of BCG's, and I noticed in the last two weeks prices have gone up $40 to $60.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I should have bought a staking tool awhile back but I’ve never had any issues till now.

I’m not doing their work for them.
View Quote

I just use a big steel set punch from Home Depot. I’ve staked all kinds of stuff with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#41]
PSA isn't opening and inspecting every BCG they get from tool craft. No idea what their QC and acceptance procedures are but I also doubt they are doing an acceptance inspection at tool craft prior to packaging and delivery. At best, they are doing a statistical sample inspection upon arrival at PSA.

So, one get's through. Let PSA know and they'll let tool craft know. If it's just the one, oh well. If they have a lot of customers complaining, bad batch. If it's a bunch of batches, then it's a bigger issue and they'll work the problem. That's how mass production works. If you want a BCG that has had 100% inspection at multiple points along the line then again by the reseller then expect to pay for it. But, even then something will squeak through every now and then.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Anybody have a good source for a quality bcg ? I need 1 more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Those look fine to me.  I have a couple of old colts that look like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
pretty clearly someone tried to stake that and just did a bad job at it. i'd bet that functions just as well as whatever you think of a properly staked rifle looks given tightened properly you don't need to stake it in the first place.

and people wonder why the EE participation is so tiny compared to the overall membership
View Quote

Thanks for getting "the stupidest thing I will read today" out of the way early for me.  I can now look forward to the rest of my day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#45]
What sort of punch should one use for staking?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#46]
*just as good
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Brownells sells a staking tool. HERE
View Quote

Can you imagine what the rest of the quality is like?  Probably not tempered correctly either.  I wouldn't take a chance on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks for getting "the stupidest thing I will read today" out of the way early for me.  I can now look forward to the rest of my day.
View Quote

He's not wrong for the levels of fire most guns see.
I usually stake my stuff, it's cheap insurance, but quality bolts properly torqued rarely come loose.
Staking doesn't make anything stronger, and it doesn't take much interference at all to prevent a bolt from loosening.
All the internet experts that read some threads but have little first hand experience are exhausting...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Step 1 put bcg on bench

Step 2 place old/dull/cheapo chisel on attempted staking mark

Step 3 whack chisel with hammer

Step 4 repeat for all 4 locations

Total time: less than it took you to post the OP.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

I’ve had one come loose and cause short stroking. Saw the same thing happen to a buddy a CW FO Three.

They need to be staked.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top