Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Mark me down as an Interstate fan as well .
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 to Interstate.  Just stay away from the discount part store batteries, particularly if your running diesel engines.  

My first post by the way. Happy to be part of the group.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Optima batteries.  $200

Be warned - Production moved to Mexico and they went to crap

Interstate is the only brand I've had that had out of spec terminals and had to mod the battery to work

other than that it has been acceptable

diehard platinum/odyssey is the best bet now

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ACDer, whenever you are running batteries in parallel or series, they should be identical in age, size and type.  Running batteries that are dissimilar in any of those characteristics can lead to a decrease in performance and battery life.

hushpuppy, you are absolutely correct in your analysis. Frankly, I'm a little surprised to see some gun owners so quick to place blame for issues on inanimate objects.  Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us under warranty are actually just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged (my wife's truck starts every day on someone else's “dead” YellowTop).  The parallel charging technique you referenced is explained in this video and works for all deeply-discharged lead-acid batteries.

As AGM batteries become more prevalent in the marketplace, the issue of deeply-discharged batteries being returned for warranty service will only increase.  We recognized this and decided to be pro-active in addressing the issue through our retail training programs, as well as my participation in online communities, product development and our tech tips videos like the one above. Every other AGM manufacturer also deals with this issue, although some do so by simply voiding the warranty coverage on their batteries, if they are found to have been discharged below a minimum voltage level.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Jim, if you're going come in here and post more Optima-BS, then I think it's only fair to post this +2 year old +500 post thread from Pirate4x4.com:  PIrate4x4 Optima alternative thread

What is the common saying, oh yea:  You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool everyone all the time.  Blaming your products lack of quality on their users only works for so long.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run a pair of Interstate's in my 86 F350. Never let me down. I've left it sit for a few months and it fired right up. Sounds like you have a small drain.

Any advice on how to check for an electrical drain?

Yes:
First look and see if you have a 2003 Ford. If so, then you HAVE an electrical drain.
  A seldom used vehicle with 4 computers continually drawing down the batteries should have a master disconnect switch installed.
Or, as suggested earlier,  fasten a 5 or 10 watt solar panel to the roof.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run a pair of Interstate's in my 86 F350. Never let me down. I've left it sit for a few months and it fired right up. Sounds like you have a small drain.

Any advice on how to check for an electrical drain?

Yes:
First look and see if you have a 2003 Ford. If so, then you HAVE an electrical drain.
  A seldom used vehicle with 4 computers continually drawing down the batteries should have a master disconnect switch installed.
Or, as suggested earlier,  fasten a 5 or 10 watt solar panel to the roof.

Thanks.  I've ordered some quick battery disconnects as suggested.  will  continuously shutting off power to the computers after each use cause any performance issues?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Merlin, post links to any threads you'd like.  I would encourage anyone who has several hours to spare, to read the posts in that thread.  Are there people who have legitimate issues with our products?  Absolutely.  Are there people who have issues because of their own actions?  Without a doubt.  To suggest one scenario exists without acknowledging the existence of the other would be unrealistic.  

On a site like Pirate4x4.com, there should be almost no mention of our RedTops, because they are not designed or warrantied for deep-cycle use, yet many of the people complaining in that thread were using RedTops in deep-cycle applications and several admitted to abusing their batteries.  I understand that's not a popular message for some folks to hear, but I don't post information based on what people like to hear.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top