Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell everything you don't need. (If you don't use it daily you don't need it)

Shutoff all services you don't need. (Television is not a need)

Move into a less expensive shelter. You can rent a room even.

Sell any vehicles you have and use public transportation or walk. (Where avaialble)

Don't spend on vises. (meals out, smoking, chewing, drinking, videos, coffees, candy, magazines)

Accept any work you are capable of. (even if it isn't in your trade)

Contact the people/companies you owe money...inform them of you situation and make any payment $5.00 even monthly if possible. It shows initiative to take care of your debts.

If you wish to discuss this IM me I have more experience at it than I like to admit. The one thing you can't afford to do...is pitty yourself. We are all responsible for our own decisions and even though it is nice to be given a break now and then we are still the only ones responsible for ourselves.

MT
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
John, if you loose your internet access, go to your library. They usually have it.

A wild idea to make some money:  Could you TRAIN journeymen electricians?  Maybe you could set up a small class or train individually, say 9 AM to noon every day.

Another idea:  Could you freelance as an electrical contractor?  Maybe you could set up your own small business & work a few hours a day as a subcontractor for a small home builder.  Get yourself a helper to do the harder physical stuff.  You could probably hire a local retired guy or recent graduate for a few hours a day.  Maybe your "day" could start after high school gets out & you could hire a high school kid to help for a few hours every evening.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Salvation Army -  Sounds like a smart ass comment but they usually seem to be able to help , in any case they are a source of assistance in getting through the mazes.

Depression can be a real problem.  You get a series of uncontrollable downers and you react to them.  I had my Father-in-Law pass away, 4 months later I was laid off (job moved, I couldn't), 4 months  later my Dad died on Palm Sunday, and  I went to an interview where I knew the people, the system and was basically told that I had the job, went to my Mothers and there was a message waiting that they had been told not to fill the position and to lay one of their folks off, then we went to make funeral arrangements.  and about 6 months later my Mother-in-Law passed away.    I got to the point I wouldn't apply for jobs because if I didn't apply I couldn't get rejected.  I didn't even work on projects around the house I now had the time to do (wife worked) because I was afraid I wouldn't get them finished.  Downer on top of downer and withdrawal to avoid any more downers.  Finally I had my annual physical, and the Doc said, it's depression, if anybody deserves it, you do after what you went through.  Went over the symptoms, got me on some light meds.  Decided not to go after one of the regular jobs (I had been consulting at $45 - $90/hr hellish commute for that one, not sure still if it was worth it)   but one I really enjoyed at whatever pay.

That did it my attitude turned around.  I started having a few small completions and then more and bigger.  Let's just put it this way, my wife decided to remodel the kitchen and I did all but a little of the electrical.  Obviously my inability to complete even little tasks was gone.  so completing that was a real upper.  Went out and got another job, so I now have twwo part-time jobs I enjoy, and a kitchen that needs only to have the ceiling  finish sanded, the patching is done,  final paint and upper cove molding.  Waiting for Ma D to decide on lights.

So go out and get something to do, even if volunteering, get a few completions under your belt, even if they are small ones, once you get back to a positive pattern  where even a few small things go right., you'll get an attitude improvement.  You need to slow that spiral or stop it.  Then you can get things moving up even if slowly.

Hang in there.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I filed for Social Security disability, but was denied.  ...  I had the opportunity to appeal, but with no money, I couldn't afford a lawyer to help me.  

You sir, are completely full of shit.  In a social security case, the lawyer gets paid IF he wins!  Not before...so go troll somewhere else.  (this is federal law - in my jurisdiction,  lawyers fees are capped at 25% of recovery, or a max of around 5200.)

And Tommy Trauma, you are on the verge of giving some bad legal advice to the guy - he SHOULD appeal his case since if he just files a new claim, he loses all those months of backpay....

Would have replied sooner, but have a rotten sinus infection and have been sleeping a lot ... allergies get me every year.... hate it

And sorry you think I'm full of shit... Until recently, I had no idea that I could find a lawyer to do this.   I filled the claim forms out myself, short of the parts my doctor had to, of course.  I was under the assumption that I'd need a lawyer to file the appeal, I just didn't know better.

I'm finding out now there are a few things I was ignorant of  apparently.   It's not like I have any experience with his type of situation.   I've been working since I was a kid.  Never  needed any type of assistance programs until now.  

No need to be so hostile, I was just asking for some advice here is all, sheesh.....

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIRC you mentioned difficulty concentrating and following through on things.  Even if not, please don't immediately discount my comments.  Fibromyalgia and depression seem to be very well correlated, and major depression can be as debilitating as any other medical condition.  Note that I said "any other" rather than "a real."  Depression is indeed a medical condition.  Some of the symptoms may include:
Depressed mood.
Sleep abnormality (too much or too little)
Loss of interest in normally enjoyable activities
Guilt, described as inappropriate or disproportionate to what you may have done.
Decreased energy
Difficulty concentrating
Appetite changes (again, too much or too little)
Psychomotor slowing - hard to describe, but think of moving very sluggishly/feeling like your mind and body are in mollasses.
Suicidal and homocidal thoughts are possible.  

I would urge you to see another physician; there are usually free care clinics or indigent programs in hospitals.  They should also have information on shelters if you are forced to leave your apartment.  If you truly need a medication, there are ways to get it.  For example, I've given samples and helped fill out paperwork for medication assistance.  Please don't give up, and if at ANY point you start having potentially damaging thoughts toward yourself or others, get immediately to a hospital.  I'm sorry I'm not in CT, or would try to find a way to get you plugged into a good system.

Keep the faith.
sleepdr out.

Pretty much all of those symptoms, yes. short of the suicidal bit.....   I'm waiting on the medicaid (medicare ?, can never remember which it is)  to go through. Then I can get back with my Rheumatologist and talk about stronger or different meds this time. I've been on SO many damn kinds now, it's ridiculous.  Nothing so far has really helped yet to the point where I felt good enough to do my job  even close to normal capacity.  The pain and fatigue are the worst symptoms.  Been very hard to cope with.    

I'm absolutely sick of being home and would give anything just to have some relief and  be able to work again.   I've been climbing the walls these past months and it's certainly not doing my mental state any favors.  Just the thought of never finding some way to get by and go back to work scares me.   I'm not the kind of person who can sit around and do nothing all day.  I can't even imagine YEARS of that, without losing my sanity.  

Like I mentioned before, this started back in 2001, and I'm so F-ing sick of it now, it's really getting to me.   I'm just praying that somehow my doc can find some combination of meds that'll help more this time.   He's a pretty good guy, very likable and genuinely appears to want to help, but he seems overworked and I have to wonder if I'm just not getting the best care I could be, you know ? Being a doctor, I'm sure you can relate..    It's pretty frustrating.

I just feel like I'm now stuck in theis endless loop, and can't get back out, since I lost my job and health insurance.   Had the unemployment been enough to pay my bills and my meds, I probably could've figured something out.  But now I'm here with no way to pay anything and feeling like I'm just sinking in deeper and deeper.  

Anyways, thanks for the reply. Very much appreciated.

John

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
John, if you loose your internet access, go to your library. They usually have it.

A wild idea to make some money:  Could you TRAIN journeymen electricians?  Maybe you could set up a small class or train individually, say 9 AM to noon every day.

Another idea:  Could you freelance as an electrical contractor?  Maybe you could set up your own small business & work a few hours a day as a subcontractor for a small home builder.  Get yourself a helper to do the harder physical stuff.  You could probably hire a local retired guy or recent graduate for a few hours a day.  Maybe your "day" could start after high school gets out & you could hire a high school kid to help for a few hours every evening.

Good luck.

Unfortunately no, I don't have a contractors license so I wouldn't qualify here to teach anywhere.   Funny you ask, since I'd thought about doing just that a few years ago, (before this all started)  when I saw how my old tech school had gone sort of down hill.  

And I'm not legally allowed to work for myself either, without the contractors license.   Lots and lots of laws up here in lovely CT...  Gets ridiculous really after a while here.

Any of those would be great ideas, As I'd really just like to be able to get back to work again and feel a little better,  but I'm kind of limited as to what I can and can't do by the stupid regulations here...   Who'd have thought someone could actually miss their boring old job..  Sure can vouch for that feeling now....

Thanks for the suggestions tho, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

John

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Tommytrtauma, the Princess works for an attorney who does SSI/SSDI/Workers Comp.  I stand by my statements.  Ops
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Salvation Army -  Sounds like a smart ass comment but they usually seem to be able to help , in any case they are a source of assistance in getting through the mazes.

Depression can be a real problem.  You get a series of uncontrollable downers and you react to them.  I had my Father-in-Law pass away, 4 months later I was laid off (job moved, I couldn't), 4 months  later my Dad died on Palm Sunday, and  I went to an interview where I knew the people, the system and was basically told that I had the job, went to my Mothers and there was a message waiting that they had been told not to fill the position and to lay one of their folks off, then we went to make funeral arrangements.  and about 6 months later my Mother-in-Law passed away.    I got to the point I wouldn't apply for jobs because if I didn't apply I couldn't get rejected.  I didn't even work on projects around the house I now had the time to do (wife worked) because I was afraid I wouldn't get them finished.  Downer on top of downer and withdrawal to avoid any more downers.  Finally I had my annual physical, and the Doc said, it's depression, if anybody deserves it, you do after what you went through.  Went over the symptoms, got me on some light meds.  Decided not to go after one of the regular jobs (I had been consulting at $45 - $90/hr hellish commute for that one, not sure still if it was worth it)   but one I really enjoyed at whatever pay.

That did it my attitude turned around.  I started having a few small completions and then more and bigger.  Let's just put it this way, my wife decided to remodel the kitchen and I did all but a little of the electrical.  Obviously my inability to complete even little tasks was gone.  so completing that was a real upper.  Went out and got another job, so I now have twwo part-time jobs I enjoy, and a kitchen that needs only to have the ceiling  finish sanded, the patching is done,  final paint and upper cove molding.  Waiting for Ma D to decide on lights.

So go out and get something to do, even if volunteering, get a few completions under your belt, even if they are small ones, once you get back to a positive pattern  where even a few small things go right., you'll get an attitude improvement.  You need to slow that spiral or stop it.  Then you can get things moving up even if slowly.

Hang in there.

Man you hit seriously closer to home that I'd like to admit....  sheesh...  In the time that I've been dealing with this crap, Two of my grandparents have died, as well as one very close friend.  

Granted, my two grandparents lived long lives (late 80's each)  but neither deserved the way they left here.  I was particularly close to my one grandmother, always have been. She was like a 2nd mother to me, ever since my own mother died of cancer when I was 21..... I took that pretty hard as I had lost my best friend exactly a year prior (the same lousy week even)  And my grandmother made up for an awful lot.  

And the good friend who passed two years ago died suddenly from an aneurysm in the brain.....  He was only 43 years old and we were very close.  He was actually one of my night school trade teachers before we became friends and found out we lived only a block away from each other.   He was a good man and he did not deserve that at all... It's still very hard for me to go visit his 'family' (soon to be new wife, and step-children)  

I'm a kind of solitary person.  Don't have lots of friends and never went out much..It seems all my life I've had to deal with losing people I was very close to and it always has hit me pretty hard...  I miss them all an awful lot...  

Thanks for the thoughts and I hope things are better for you now, that's a lot for any person to chew on at one time.... you get much respect from me..

Take care,

John
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If you get in a jam on the internet access thing, there is always Netzero

www.netzero.com

they give 10 hours of free dialup access a month. you can at least do some quick emails from home with that....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

www.netzero.com

they give 10 hours of free dialup access a month. you can at least do some quick emails from home with that....

Yeah, that's an option too....  Talked to my neighbor and if it comes down to it, I may be able to borrow an older laptop and get on his wireless network...  house is only 15 feet away, so it'll probably work ok.  At least I'll still be able to get online for emails and such..   Being couped up in my apartment all day without at least being able to get online once in a while would be a major drag...   Already had to cut off my cable tv a while back, so staring at an empty screen isn't much fun...   all these years, who'd have thought one would miss work so much..  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.netzero.com

Yeah, that's an option too....  Talked to my neighbor and if it comes down to it, I may be able to borrow an older laptop and get on his wireless network...  house is only 15 feet away, so it'll probably work ok.  At least I'll still be able to get online for emails and such..   Being couped up in my apartment all day without at least being able to get online once in a while would be a major drag...   Already had to cut off my cable tv a while back, so staring at an empty screen isn't much fun...   all these years, who'd have thought one would miss work so much..  

No reception with the ole rabbit ears on that TV?

What one other guy here said is a good point. If you have anything to sell, sell it. Pare yourself down to a good core set of possessions.  Besides, if you have to move, it will be easier on you later.

If you have firearms, or any related gear, post them in the EE, that should help.  
Electronic stuff, collectables, go to Ebay and see what they are worth there, if it's more than a couple of bucks, auction them off there.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sell everything you don't need. (If you don't use it daily you don't need it)

Shutoff all services you don't need. (Television is not a need)

Move into a less expensive shelter. You can rent a room even.

Sell any vehicles you have and use public transportation or walk. (Where avaialble)

Don't spend on vises. (meals out, smoking, chewing, drinking, videos, coffees, candy, magazines)

Accept any work you are capable of. (even if it isn't in your trade)

Contact the people/companies you owe money...inform them of you situation and make any payment $5.00 even monthly if possible. It shows initiative to take care of your debts.

If you wish to discuss this IM me I have more experience at it than I like to admit. The one thing you can't afford to do...is pitty yourself. We are all responsible for our own decisions and even though it is nice to be given a break now and then we are still the only ones responsible for ourselves.

MT

+10000.

MT - this is how I wish we all lived our lives:

The one thing you can't afford to do...is pitty yourself. We are all responsible for our own decisions and even though it is nice to be given a break now and then we are still the only ones responsible for ourselves.

That, and a hearty balance with the beatitudes:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall posses the land.
Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill.  
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, and one more thing. If you are broke-ass broke (like I was a while back), then don't make it worse by staying home all the time if you can help it.  If you are able to, get out of that house and be outside.  You'll find that the more you stay home, inside, away from people, the worse your depression will get. You may also find that your sleep pattern will start to change, you'll stay up late and sleep all day, stuff like that.
Find a reason to get out of the house.  Go out in public and people watch for a while, chill on a park bench, Go to the library and read books or magazines or whatever. Go for a walk.

Just go.

Hey, it helped me.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tommytrtauma, the Princess works for an attorney who does SSI/SSDI/Workers Comp.  I stand by my statements.  Ops

You stand by a 90% initial denial rate in the state of PA? Does she?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top