BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
let's talk about NEW vehicles

I like the 4Runners but not having real bumpers anymore sucks the cock.
and what happened to manuals being offered? It's pretty much down to the Wrangler Unlimiteds for a full-er size SUV now, huh?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
For the $ you propose, you have several options.  

You are going to have to eat it on gas mileage though.  No decent off road truck is going to get great mileage.  None.  Just different degrees of sucky.  You will get 20 if you are lucky, 15 if you are typical, less the bigger the tires/lift.

1)  Last generation of ford bronco.  
Bigger inside than other SUV type trucks.  Might be too wide for some trails.  Available v-8.  Lots of aftermarket.  Easy to lift.  Solid axles.  Terrible mileage.

2)  Jeep wrangler.  
Small inside.  Jeep = just empty every pocket.  Great off-road.  Lots of aftermarket.  Better mileage than the bronco, but don't expect anything great, especially with bigger tires & lift.

3)  4runner.  
Mid-sized.  Comes with decently large tires/rims.  Needs a lift.  IFS = more expensive & complicated lift with less articulation than solid axles.  Toyota.  Research spydertrax.

4)  Land rover discovery.  Larger than 4runner, smaller than bronco.  small v-8.  Don't buy a 2003.  2004 is the best year.  Old man emu for lift.  Solid axles, lots of native articulation.  If you can work on cars, this one isn't bad.  If you can't work on cars, don't bother.  Mileage ~18 on the highway, 15 in town.  Heated leather seats.

Those would be what I'd go looking for off the top of my head.  Make sure you research the problems of each, as I am sure they all have their own web forum.  They all have a little nit-picky issue(s), just make sure you know what to look for when you are shopping.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

and what happened to manuals being offered? It's pretty much down to the Wrangler Unlimiteds for a full-er size SUV now, huh?
View Quote

IMHO, there aren't any decent offerings for SUV's anymore except the wrangler rubicon.  Everything else has been IFS'd to hell, and isn't body-on-frame like they should be.

They are built for use on-road, not off-road.  Most modern SUV's are just higher sitting station wagons for people who don't want to drive a station wagon.  It's been played out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
You could always look at Trucks+shell.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
ok i will be the first to submit the diesel liberty. So bad ass little SUV's if you do it right. Not crazy expensive either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The two pics you posted don't seem to bear out what you are looking for, capability-wise.

Neither one of those pics looked to me like necessitating 33's or lockers.

Water crossing would be the biggest thing you face.

In all honesty, to me, it looks like you would do fine with a 97-01 Cherokee with a couple inches lift and 31's.

Move all electronics off of the floor, pull carpet and bedline the interior.

Run engine air intake through the cowl, and move all drivetrain vents up into engine compartment.

A minimum of extra creature comforts (power windows and locks are not your friends if regularly dunking the rig).

Maybe true tracs at both ends.

You should be able to do that, including your vehicle purchase, for the 7 grand that you wanted to budget for the vehicle alone.

Nick

View Quote

I'm not going to say that would be the absolute worst terrain I'd try to tackle, just the average.

The way you suggested waterproofing and relocating everything is precisely what I'm going to be looking at doing. Thank you for the helpful tips!
The last thing I want is to get stranded because something shorted out and wasn't protected.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of hwy mileage do you get with that? I wasn't aware they put diesel engines in those.

While nice, you are not going to get into a WK for 7, especially a diesel.

You would also end up feeling the same about leaving it in the back country as you do your current Tundra.

GC's get expensive to lift high enough to clear 33's as well (although I don't think you need 33's for the terrain you posted).

Nick

I agree...but you can get into a WJ as I mention above for 7K....and 2005 Wks are getting close to that.  OP does not need 33's...he can lift a WK for just under a $1000 and clear 32's....I have 32's on mine and I have never been stuck.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What kind of hwy mileage do you get with that? I wasn't aware they put diesel engines in those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yesterday coming back from wheeling I was getting 22mpg....

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
4Runner
Jeep Cherokee

or

Toyota Tacoma or Tundra

Mainly because there are lots of them.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
First 3 votes.. yeahh
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You would also end up feeling the same about leaving it in the back country as you do your current Tundra.

GC's get expensive to lift high enough to clear 33's as well (although I don't think you need 33's for the terrain you posted).

Nick

I agree...but you can get into a WJ as I mention above for 7K....and 2005 Wks are getting close to that. OP does not need 33's...he can lift a WK for just under a $1000 and clear 32's....I have 32's on mine and I have never been stuck.

Well aware of that-just got into an '03 Limited with 58K for that.

I would hesitate, however, do drag it through a lot of water crossings.

OTOH, the Quadra Drive system and solid axles both ends are definite plusses.

How high do you need to lift to get 32's to clear on a WK?

WJ pretty much needs 4" to clear.

I just don't think, with what OP is putting forth, that the GC is the right choice for him.

Just not one I would want to strip-not even a low option Laredo with a 4.0.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

xterra is still offered with three pedals, FJ is probably the only toyota SUV available with a manual though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#13]
WJ jeep. Big enough to haul all your gear,body on frame construction and solid front axle and lots of creature comforts. Dont get too crazy on the lift,remember that the majority of the time will be on pavement on the way to and from. A moderate lift with some tall and skinnys and a modicum of skill will get you damn near anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I second the older Ford Broncos and also 90's Tahoe or Yukon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like either a 4runner or a wrangler. I know the wrangler is going to end up costing a bit more than I want to spend though, and gear storage is on the small side.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread needs more Wrangler...
View Quote

Meh. Wrangler is too small to haul anything of size like coolers and tents etc. Cherokee is the way to go.
<--- 2003 Wrangler owner.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you please post some details?  Do you have a quadra lift?  I'm looking hard at a 2014 JGC diesel. I can't decide if I want the offroad II package with quadra lift or add a 3" suspension lift without the quadra lift.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

4runner. Rip out all the IFS shit and replace it with a solid axle.
View Quote

The comedy of this is that whenever this question is asked, 4Runners float to the top of the 'stock' vehicle list. However, all but the first couple of Gen 1 years are IFS, and they all would qualify for antique plates (at least in VA).

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
4runner. Rip out all the IFS shit and replace it with a solid axle.
View Quote

IFS is fine for what the OP is planning.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm looking for function here, so something that is going to change drive angles to the point of being really stressed is not something I'm interested in. I just want some additional clearance for obstacles. (stumps, rocks, ruts) Like I mentioned, 33's are as big as I really care to put on it with enough lift to fully flex the suspension.

Currently drive a tundra with 34.5"s, but the fuel mileage kills it for long road trips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lifts, even small ones, can be a can of worms.  If you've never done one I'd make sure you research it first and think long and hard about how much you really want or need it.

I'm looking for function here, so something that is going to change drive angles to the point of being really stressed is not something I'm interested in. I just want some additional clearance for obstacles. (stumps, rocks, ruts) Like I mentioned, 33's are as big as I really care to put on it with enough lift to fully flex the suspension.

Currently drive a tundra with 34.5"s, but the fuel mileage kills it for long road trips.

Even small lifts can cause headaches.  My 2.5" lift in my Tacoma caused problems, and I went top of the line, not blocks or spacers.  I changed out leaf packs, shocks, struts, etc.  Dropped the differential too.  Now I'm f-ing around with axle shims of varying degrees, spacers for the carrier bearing, etc., and it still isn't quite right.  I'm in it over 3k for the lift and tires with me and a friend doing the labor.

Just FYI...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Even small lifts can cause headaches.  My 2.5" lift in my Tacoma caused problems, and I went top of the line, not blocks or spacers.  I changed out leaf packs, shocks, struts, etc.  Dropped the differential too.  Now I'm f-ing around with axle shims of varying degrees, spacers for the carrier bearing, etc., and it still isn't quite right.  I'm in it over 3k for the lift and tires with me and a friend doing the labor.

Just FYI...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lifts, even small ones, can be a can of worms.  If you've never done one I'd make sure you research it first and think long and hard about how much you really want or need it.

Just FYI...

My 2" lift on my JK was free.   And installed in 30 minutes using two jacks, two Jack stands, a hammer, and a pry bar.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Whatever you get I strongly suggest you do all the mods yourself.  Buy a gently used model from a girl or older people who kept the vehicle stock and well maintained.

Doing all the mods yourself will give you an intimate relationship between you and your rig. You will know what to expect and how to repair it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

70 nova lol if a crown vic can do it a nova can do it better
View Quote
You're nucking futs.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread needs more CUCV

P2210238 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, can you post some photos of terrain you expect to encounter?  It may help in determining what mods you should get.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/Spenceridgerockytrail_zps44a773c0.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/nrcs144p2_025792_zps811ef5fa.jpg

I want a vehicle I can get wet inside if needed to get to point B.

3rg Gen 4runner

See here for a list of just about everything you can do to it.  Iv got a K&N intake on mine and am throwing on some skid plates and front/rear bumpers when I get back
Every Possible Mod You Can Do To A 3rd Gen 4Runner
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Honestly from what you describe, Im not even sure you need a lift.  Ive been able to get my stock 4runner through almost everything but the most advanced trails.  The only reason Im putting plates and bumpers on mine is because sooner or later Im going to come off a rock wrong and wreck the radiator or transfer case.  These things are amazingly well built.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I plan on doing a lot more camping this year, mostly in remote locations that aren't easily accessed by your off the lot vehicles. I'm not talking about serious rock climbing, but something that will get me some decent fuel mileage, and still be able to traverse over moderately rough terrain/crossing streams with the help of a snorkel kit.

I'd like something I could install a small suspension lift, 33" tires, and a roof rack w/lights. Also, I'd prefer to spend less than 7K on the base vehicle.

Availability of parts in common auto shops is a big plus, as I can change pretty much anything as long as I have the tools.

So, what am I looking for?
View Quote
Cherokee w/4.0L

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Side-by-side ATV
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top