Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say trade unions are good as a whole because they have some internal standards.

Labor unions?  Useless.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This may come as a shock to some, but in SOME instances it's not in everyone's best interests to have seven electric companies, four gas companies and six phone companies all running up and tearing up the same streets. This is one of those situations where government oversight of a single provider might make sense.
View Quote

At the very least, a government that wants a cohesive national infrastructure program has to develop and enforce standards by which that network will be built and run.  If the goal is better served by allowing experts to set those standards, a monopoly situation might not be the worst thing in the world.

Twenty towns with twenty telephone companies using twenty different standards, and not one that'll pull and maintain cabling and poles to go ten miles outside of town to get a dime a month from Farmer Smith...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Unions vary wildly, even sub-organizations that are part of the same national organization. It comes down to who is in them, and who they let run them.

Some unions might just as well come out and admit that they're legally-authorized organized crime. Others do what they are chartered to do, and do it well. You can't paint with a broad brush and say "All unions are bad..." or "All unions are good..." any more than you can say that of anything in this country.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Almost all of the people that run the NAS (National Airspace System) are union, and we have the best in the world.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As an engineer/construction inspector/asst. building official; pretty much all the trades...

Concrete, electricians, plumbers, framers, iron workers, welders, ceilings...

Every guy down the chain knows how to read the prints and specs, as opposed to the non-union companies where it's only the Forman or guy in the trailer that does; saves me time and effort having to tell them what the plans say...
View Quote

This.

Trade unions, where kids come up through an apprenticeship, and get their asses handed to them for a couple of years, end being very functional people who know WTF they're doing. I've seen union tradesmen shops that submitted very competitive bids, and delivered top notch service.

They also had the ability to pile lots of equipment and manpower on a job if it was behind and needed to get caught up.

Trade unions are a different animal from extortionist member-unions; like teachers or auto workers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is not true.  Subaru is nonunion.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subaru's American plants are unionized.  Their cars may not cater to everyone's preference but they make a quality product.
This is not true.  Subaru is nonunion.    

In the US it might be. Pretty much every foreign car made outside the US is union made.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That model has more value when dealing with a static product.  Electricity and gas are pretty much the same product that anyone, anywhere is able to deliver with little room for innovation.

If the phone company was the only one able to bring internet to your house we'd still be running at ISDN speeds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the legacy of the Bell System. (AT&T)

Worked great until the government protected monopoly ended.  The CWA contracts had a lot to do with the breakup after that though, and the subsequent sacrifice of innovation and market leadership in favor of selling off assets to keep the communists happy.

It had more to do with being forced to allow strawman "providers" using their equipment for below costs. That and the gov't not understanding the concept of universal I service, i.e., the concept that volume calls from LA to NY which create profit subsidize calls from Omaha to Phoenix. The coasts supported flyover country, etc.

The union in this case provided for a stable, competent workforce.

This may come as a shock to some, but in SOME instances it's not in everyone's best interests to have seven electric companies, four gas companies and six phone companies all running up and tearing up the same streets. This is one of those situations where government oversight of a single provider might make sense.

That model has more value when dealing with a static product.  Electricity and gas are pretty much the same product that anyone, anywhere is able to deliver with little room for innovation.

If the phone company was the only one able to bring internet to your house we'd still be running at ISDN speeds.

If the telcos are the only ones bringing internet to the house, yea... On average, many of us would be on slower connections than we are on.

Many of us wouldn't be on the internet at all though.  Let's just say if you aren't on city water and sewer, the likelihood is you wouldn't be on the internet at all either.

Telcos are utility companies.  Utility companies are required to provide service to everyone.  Because of the difficulties inherent in providing service at the periphery, the speed or quality of the whole network does lag behind what would be possible without that drag.  

Cable companies are entertainment providers.  The government doesn't care if they don't stretch a line past the point where the company can make a buck.  They have less network to service, but can provide a better product across that network.  They can do this without much public uproar because the telcos are filling in the periphery for them.

If telcos quit providing that shitty service to the last mile, the last milers will rise up with torches and pitchforks, and the cable companies will become "utility companies", and pretty soon, everyone's running at ISDN speeds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

As an engineer/construction inspector/asst. building official; pretty much all the trades...

Every guy down the chain knows how to read the prints and specs, as opposed to the non-union companies where it's only the Forman or guy in the trailer that does; saves me time and effort having to tell them what the plans say...
View Quote
This. Union elevator guy. We had some non-union fucks come try to install a wheel chair lift on a jobsite we where on. For a union crew of 2 that would be a 1 day install 2 tops. They where there on and off for weeks. We all stood around and laughed when they tried to bend conduit and stood on the wrong side of the pipe using the bender backwards. All their pipe on the wall had bad kinks in it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Trade unions are a different animal from extortionist member-unions; like teachers or auto workers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Man alive, THANK YOU!  I got lambasted on here a few weeks ago for suggesting that NOW was the time for the RNC to go court trade unions and break them away from the choke hold of the Democrat Party.

I guess it was my own poor writing skills, or lack of realization that GD does not differentiate the difference between a skilled trade union and the SEIU purple monsters.

FYI...I still think the RNC should go courting them.  They work, they work hard, are well paid, and are one of the last vestiges of the middle class left in the United States...and the DNC treats them as a token like they do blacks, and the RNC just alienates them because "they're union".

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]
They are different organizations.  
Quoted:
Trade Unions can be very good.
Labor Unions are the ones that I have a problem with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

HA! What a joke!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Man alive, THANK YOU! I got lambasted on here a few weeks ago for suggesting that NOW was the time for the RNC to go court trade unions and break them away from the choke hold of the Democrat Party.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man alive, THANK YOU! I got lambasted on here a few weeks ago for suggesting that NOW was the time for the RNC to go court trade unions and break them away from the choke hold of the Democrat Party.

I guess it was my own poor writing skills, or lack of realization that GD does not differentiate the difference between a skilled trade union and the SEIU purple monsters.

FYI...I still think the RNC should go courting them. They work, they work hard, are well paid, and are one of the last vestiges of the middle class left in the United States...and the DNC treats them as a token like they do blacks, and the RNC just alienates them because "they're union".

well said! funny as shit working in chicago and all of the fight for $15 idiots picketing outside of fast food joints. hardhat after hardhat walking right past them to get  some lunch!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FYI...I still think the RNC should go courting them. They work, they work hard, are well paid, and are one of the last vestiges of the middle class left in the United States...and the DNC treats them as a token like they do blacks, and the RNC just alienates them because "they're union".

well said! funny as shit working in chicago and all of the fight for $15 idiots picketing outside of fast food joints. hardhat after hardhat walking right past them to get  some lunch!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You both are kidding yourselves. IBEW is one of the largest contributors to the Democratic party.
They aren't going anywhere.

http://influenceexplorer.com/industry/ibew-intl-brotherhood-of-electrical-workers/3754fb110fa444928e601c8a0fdd01f9
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Locally, these are the ones I can think of.

Harley
Caterpillar
Miller Brewing
Oshkosh
Manitowoc
Mercury Marine
Kohler
Snap On
Deere
Case/ New Holland

ETA
Green Bay Packers
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe UPS?
View Quote

As an employee for a company that relies on them for logistics,  I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Police.

View Quote

Hey, nobody can argue their productivity. The jails all over are overcrowded.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You both are kidding yourselves. IBEW is one of the largest contributors to the Democratic party.

http://influenceexplorer.com/industry/ibew-intl-brotherhood-of-electrical-workers/3754fb110fa444928e601c8a0fdd01f9
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am well aware of what they gave.  That was also before Barack Obama completely took a dump on them and crawfished on the deal he made to secure their votes/funds.

I was just at a meeting where Ed Hill, President of the IBEW spoke to a large group of EC's from around the country, and one of the questions from the crowd he got, was "How does it feel to have more in common with Ted Cruz than Barack Obama?"  The place erupted in laughter, and even Ed Hill laughed pretty hard at that...because it's true.

Also, past action does not always predict future action/performance.  It's a good indicator, but not a 100% guarantee.  Honestly, what's the worst that could happen...we promise to leave Davis-Bacon alone, and leave Right to Work as as 'state issue' (which it should be), and in return we strive to either repeal this monstrosity and assist in pension reform (NOT BAILOUTS)?  They get to keep their health insurance and pensions, we break them away from the stranglehold of the DNC...that's a win-win...it may be difficult, and may mean dealing with people that 'we don't like'...I'm willing to do that for the sake of saving the US as I remember it...and not seeing it turn into some third world piece of crap.

The IBEW membership stands to lose BILLIONS...that's with a B in pension plans...and there are simple changes to pension law that would allow this to be remedied that would cost the tax payer NOTHING.

They're worth talking to.  All they can do is say no thanks.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Gulfstream (non union) miss read topic
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  Trade Unions generally have a larger skill set than non union counterparts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would put any trade union in America up against any non union shop and I would guarantee they (union workers) would work circles around their non union counterparts.

Guarantee.
View Quote
I work for a company with a union shop in another state that essentially does the same thing we do.

Guess which shop has more productivity and profit....

Hint: it's not them.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, etc. are all heavily unionized in Japan.

The general consensus is that the Japanese produced vehicles are somewhat more reliable and better assembled than the US ones which generally are non-union.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#22]
In the Merchant Marine the union ships are definitely better than the non-union. As a now retired engineer I can say I'm glad I went union. The best schools for upgrading and expanding my knowledge. Plus some great people to work with. Sure there are exceptions but overall it was a positive experience. When a company pays better they attract better people.

ETA - The non-union guys didn't have the plain common sense to realize that their wages and benefits are due to the unions. If it wasn't for us setting the standard, they would have received much less.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BNSF or UP RAILWAY. Without either this country would shut down in less than 3 day. Railroads started the union thing. There is a reason the term for when you are getting screwed over is "being railroaded".
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well said! funny as shit working in chicago and all of the fight for $15 idiots picketing outside of fast food joints. hardhat after hardhat walking right past them to get some lunch!

if the gop would quit fucking with davis bacon it could and would happen.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The people that really hate on unions wish they had one.
A union can be good or bad it depends on the people.
Company's are the reason they are a reality. If they would have
treated people well the unions would have never gotten a foothold.
View Quote

Ban Companies!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm an apprentice substation electrician for a large utility and I spend half my time fixing contractors (non union) mistakes. For whatever reason the company contracts alot of our new substation construction out and it's ALWAYS fucked up.

For instance recently they installed a new 230Kv/13.8Kv transformer amd were getting ready to heat it up.......... With the grounds still installed and the high side bushing leads hand tight.

Not good oh well job security I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Pretty much the entire casino/hotel business in Vegas (SEIU members). They're quite profitable and generally better in most respects than their competitors on Indian reservations or in the Caribbean.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Unions are as much a part of the capitalistic system as any other company.  A union is merely a company that sells labor.

View Quote

most people think i'm insane when i say this.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Boeing
View Quote

They have some union but they are mostly nonunion.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS.

Legit construction unions are the only ones that offer the consumer something in return for the higher prices they impose. (by legit, I mean not those assholes who claim to be electricians and make $30/hour plugging in extension cords at McCormack Place).

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boeing

lol
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Boeing
View Quote

I was going to say.

Enjoy it while it lasts union cocksuckers. Eventually the Chi-coms will have stolen enough technology to compete (if some limp wristed liberal President doesn't give it to them first).
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#33]

I look at unions as the troll version of workers. So perfectly accurate...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BNSF or UP RAILWAY. Without either this country would shut down in less than 3 day. Railroads started the union thing. There is a reason the term for when you are getting screwed over is "being railroaded".
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

same
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I was once hard line anti-union. I have been friends with a union lineman for a major telecom for 10 years or longer, and he really has changed my mind on union folks. He is amazing with cable work, having done some for me, and works his ass off. He complains that the union protects underperformers, but I think in the end the bell curve pretty much covers people; union or not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Gibson Guitars
Schott Leather

I've worked union jobs and non-union jobs....union is better by light years in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This. Union elevator guy. We had some non-union fucks come try to install a wheel chair lift on a jobsite we where on. For a union crew of 2 that would be a 1 day install 2 tops. They where there on and off for weeks. We all stood around and laughed when they tried to bend conduit and stood on the wrong side of the pipe using the bender backwards. All their pipe on the wall had bad kinks in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IUEC member here. We've taken over a few service jobs where non-union shops "modernized" the elevators. I have no idea how they passed inspection and sure as hell didn't run worth a shit until our guys spent sometimes months unfuxxating them.   I was pretty anti union when I was younger until I decided to get into a trade. Having seen what I've seen out of our membership, there's a huge difference between labor unions and trade unions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would put any trade union in America up against any non union shop and I would guarantee they (union workers) would work circles around their non union counterparts.

Guarantee.
View Quote

FWIW, being self-employed in the construction industry, I regularly do the work of two or three men.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#42]
You could say UPS.

But I always use non-union FedEx when possible.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cat Inc., formerly known as Caterpillar Tractor Company.  They make, by far, the best construction and earth moving machines on the planet and they are a union shop, in the states that they have factories in that are union states.  

They did break the union stranglehold about 20 years ago, but did not get rid of the unions for the important things such as vehicle assembly.  Just reduced the number of union workers and hired a lot of contractors to do some other factory or office work.  Oh yeah, and the company reduced pay and benefits, significantly, on new company hires.  But the company has record profits every quarter, still lays off people anyway, but as long as the unions and workers are getting fucked its good to go according to arfcom.

These threads blatantly reveal the basement sitters, college idiots and IT dweebs.  In other words, kids and people who do not live in the real world.
View Quote

We own a CAT 262 skid-steer and it is a remarkable machine, easily the class standard.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have been saying this for years and getting laughed at here.

The RNC or Libertarian party would be idiots for not going after the trade unions after Zero fucked them and fucked them good.

Plain and simple, trade unions are a business and they will go where the $$$ is good. When the economy is in the shitter the unions can't sell labor, the guys aren't working and go elsewhere, guess who the unions are blaming for the bad economy? Guess who the unions have just turned against? The DNC has really shot themselves in the foot with both a poor economy and Zerocare. Now would be the perfect time to strike.

The early 80's Regan era was the most profitable for both unions and union members. More work than the guys could handle, everyone was building, the economy was booming. I still hear stories from the old timers about unlimited overtime, more money than you knew what to do with, buying new fishing boats and homes... Times sounded real good.

Don't think for a second that unions won't toss the DNC on their asses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am well aware of what they gave.  That was also before Barack Obama completely took a dump on them and crawfished on the deal he made to secure their votes/funds.  

I was just at a meeting where Ed Hill, President of the IBEW spoke to a large group of EC's from around the country, and one of the questions from the crowd he got, was "How does it feel to have more in common with Ted Cruz than Barack Obama?"  The place erupted in laughter, and even Ed Hill laughed pretty hard at that...because it's true.

Also, past action does not always predict future action/performance.  It's a good indicator, but not a 100% guarantee.  Honestly, what's the worst that could happen...we promise to leave Davis-Bacon alone, and leave Right to Work as as 'state issue' (which it should be), and in return we strive to either repeal this monstrosity and assist in pension reform (NOT BAILOUTS)?  They get to keep their health insurance and pensions, we break them away from the stranglehold of the DNC...that's a win-win...it may be difficult, and may mean dealing with people that 'we don't like'...I'm willing to do that for the sake of saving the US as I remember it...and not seeing it turn into some third world piece of crap.

The IBEW membership stands to lose BILLIONS...that's with a B in pension plans...and there are simple changes to pension law that would allow this to be remedied that would cost the tax payer NOTHING.

The RNC or Libertarian party would be idiots for not going after the trade unions after Zero fucked them and fucked them good.

Plain and simple, trade unions are a business and they will go where the $$$ is good. When the economy is in the shitter the unions can't sell labor, the guys aren't working and go elsewhere, guess who the unions are blaming for the bad economy? Guess who the unions have just turned against? The DNC has really shot themselves in the foot with both a poor economy and Zerocare. Now would be the perfect time to strike.

The early 80's Regan era was the most profitable for both unions and union members. More work than the guys could handle, everyone was building, the economy was booming. I still hear stories from the old timers about unlimited overtime, more money than you knew what to do with, buying new fishing boats and homes... Times sounded real good.

Go back and actually look at the page I posted.
The leadership of the IBEW doesn't give two fucks about what the membership want to do politically. They have been co-opted by hard core Dem supporters. You are dreaming if you think for one minute they will switch to Republicans.

I've brought this up to IBEW members plenty of times. They know they are helpless to stop it.
That is why I will never join.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well said! funny as shit working in chicago and all of the fight for $15 idiots picketing outside of fast food joints. hardhat after hardhat walking right past them to get some lunch!

I am well aware of what they gave. That was also before Barack Obama completely took a dump on them and crawfished on the deal he made to secure their votes/funds.

I was just at a meeting where Ed Hill, President of the IBEW spoke to a large group of EC's from around the country, and one of the questions from the crowd he got, was "How does it feel to have more in common with Ted Cruz than Barack Obama?" The place erupted in laughter, and even Ed Hill laughed pretty hard at that...because it's true.

Also, past action does not always predict future action/performance. It's a good indicator, but not a 100% guarantee. Honestly, what's the worst that could happen...we promise to leave Davis-Bacon alone, and leave Right to Work as as 'state issue' (which it should be), and in return we strive to either repeal this monstrosity and assist in pension reform (NOT BAILOUTS)? They get to keep their health insurance and pensions, we break them away from the stranglehold of the DNC...that's a win-win...it may be difficult, and may mean dealing with people that 'we don't like'...I'm willing to do that for the sake of saving the US as I remember it...and not seeing it turn into some third world piece of crap.

They're worth talking to. All they can do is say no thanks.

the UBC suits are still toeing the demturd line, but nowhere near as enthusiastically as they used to. chocolate jesus fucked the building trades harder and drier then anyone ever could of imagined! last meeting there was open teeth gnashing and rumblings amongst the ranks about the cadillac tax we have to pay. if ever the gop was to get the building trades vote, now is the time!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The dems will tell them what they want to year during the election cyle and the unions will bend over and spread 'em like usual. The dems don't even bring lube anymore.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Is this helpful attitude of the unions attributable to the free market competition they face?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a non-union Estimator and Project manager for one of the largest mechanical contractors in NY. I ran a non-union company for 15 years.

The skillsets of unionized plumbers and pipefitters far exceed the non-union side.

They are also gracious for the work and have a clear understanding that when the job is done, they are done until the next one.

Non-union mechanicals that can candle work of the scale that we do are few and far between.

We are a VERY profitable company.

Is this helpful attitude of the unions attributable to the free market competition they face?

No free market, prevailing wage.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top