BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
  I'm talking about implementation, not technical ability or sophistication. The reason your Garmin sucks? Not technical, it's the failure to build accurate maps and maintain them. That's essential for autonomy. I navigate by GPS routinely, and there isn't a solution on the market that doesn't occasionally just fucking suck....but this is going to be the foundation for how these vehicles navigate? Recipe for issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
  I'm talking about implementation, not technical ability or sophistication. The reason your Garmin sucks? Not technical, it's the failure to build accurate maps and maintain them. That's essential for autonomy. I navigate by GPS routinely, and there isn't a solution on the market that doesn't occasionally just fucking suck....but this is going to be the foundation for how these vehicles navigate? Recipe for issues.

No, it is not. Not even remotely.  

Reason hyper complex robo-cars will go batshit occasionally? Same reason your Iphone does...not technology, implementation, the inevitability of failure of complex systems designed by eggheads. Your Intel powered computer is nearly flawless in infrastructure, but the blue-screens of death we are accustomed to is a question of implementation of getting that hardware to get from theoretical to practical. .

I talked to this. Interface layers designed for extensibility are the reasons you see this. That is not/rarely the case in hardware specific implementation. If it was, right now you would be having to disconnect your car's battery every other week because the ECU was borked. "Autonomy" is implemented no differently than how your injector duty cycles as they correlate to spark advance/retard and air temp. Either lookup tables or hard coded formulas. This is how it is actually done in "AI," gains determined through some type of optimization training. Once you have those, it can be hard coded. What looks like "complex reasoning" or "decision making," really isn't.

Do you honestly trust the car-makers to get this right in the complex real world?

Depends on the manufacturer.

From the outset? It ain't happening....not enough to ensure safety, and it has to

Murphy, man. Murphy ensures the issues, especially early on. Trial lawyers ensure that will make it that much harder to ever get widespread adoption in a world built for human drivers.

From the outset, no. Just like anything else. So how and to what degree they implement it will be critical to adoption. I believe we are already seeing the phased smart approach right now. Auto parking, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, collision avoidance assist. Just gradually keep on rolling in new features until eventual you've covered most of the decision space.

I absolutely agree, lawyers could easily kill this.  But if auto manufacturers are smart, they will never present it as "autonomous" car. The next thing you will see should be "adaptive cruise control with lane departure warning" two things already out there. Then after that "adaptive cruise control with lane departure warning and correction." etc etc. Just keep rolling in more.

Incrementally... the same way the left is eroding our gun rights.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

"I'm sorry but you have exceeded your carbon credit allowance for the month. Vehicle will remain parked until credit balance resets to zero in 14 days. Would you like the location of the nearest mass transit station?"

"Today is a red air quality day. All leisure travel will be limited."

"A shelter in place order has been issued. All vehicles will remain disabled until the order has been lifted."

Nothing good will come of this once the goverment gets involved and you know they will. The possibilities of fuckery are endless and that's not including cyber attacks from foreign nations, terror groups or bored script kiddies that could wreak havoc on the transportation network. Fuck self driving cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wake me up when I can climb into my car and say "take me home" while I nap in the backseat.

"I'm sorry but you have exceeded your carbon credit allowance for the month. Vehicle will remain parked until credit balance resets to zero in 14 days. Would you like the location of the nearest mass transit station?"

"Today is a red air quality day. All leisure travel will be limited."

"A shelter in place order has been issued. All vehicles will remain disabled until the order has been lifted."

Nothing good will come of this once the goverment gets involved and you know they will. The possibilities of fuckery are endless and that's not including cyber attacks from foreign nations, terror groups or bored script kiddies that could wreak havoc on the transportation network. Fuck self driving cars.

Don't worry. There are people like me around who specialize in "fixing"  mandated automotive bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol @ Luddites and technophobes.

Lol2x @ folks with cell phones and Internet-connected PCs worried about the .gov spying on their cars
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lol, meanwhile planes are landing themselves on aircraft carriers.

Such technology. Much scare
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe the autonomous car idea is a pipe dream for various reasons.  At best we could get something that essentially operated on 'tracks' on main roads with only other 'self driving' cars for company, with assisted driving similar to what we have now for use on the side roads.

The human brain has so much going on behind the scenes in order to operate a car on public roads that I just don't see it being feasible.  The significance of perfecting the AI to make a fully functional autonomous car would alter society in a huge way.  The original goal of driverless cars would seem petty when all was said and done.

Lol, meanwhile planes are landing themselves on aircraft carriers.

Such technology. Much scare

Apples to oranges.  Automated aircraft landing is actually a much simpler task.  Aircraft has data link with ship feeding it information, and only one aircraft is landing at a time, and the deck of an aircraft carrier is a controlled environment compared to any public roadway in the united states.  And it all cost a mind boggling amount of money.    

A truly autonomous car would be like multiple aircraft taking off and landing nose to tail without any data input from the ship or each other, while wildlife, debris, and pedestrians are permitted to clutter up the deck.

I'm not rooting against autonomous cars I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of technological hurdles and we take for granted all the decisions our brain makes without us realizing that we are even making them.    

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm sticking with my horse and buggy. My horse Roach knows the way home and once I point her in the right direction she'll take me home. I can nap in the back without worry. She's OK with coyotes and rattlesnakes but doesn't do well with stallions when she's in heat.

/this

I've been hit by exploding re-treads seven times this week and it's only Tuesday.

People in this thread failed to mention the number of times jumbo jets land on freeways, boats tear loose from trailers, some old guy has a heart attack and plows though the liquor store, and the ever present sharknados in sharknado alley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm sticking with my horse and buggy. My horse Roach knows the way home and once I point her in the right direction she'll take me home. I can nap in the back without worry. She's OK with coyotes and rattlesnakes but doesn't do well with stallions when she's in heat.

Quoted:Humans can duck when they see a retread coming at them. The camera can only attempt to make the 4,000+ lb car move. Neat video though. You can see very clearly that it didn't anticipate the second pedestrian entering the crosswalk.

/this

I've been hit by exploding re-treads seven times this week and it's only Tuesday.

People in this thread failed to mention the number of times jumbo jets land on freeways, boats tear loose from trailers, some old guy has a heart attack and plows though the liquor store, and the ever present sharknados in sharknado alley.

Driving outside of ideal conditions gives you an idea of what may happen. On my way to Tarrytown NY in a snow storm, the windshield washer pump on my car crapped out (I was using it at a rate 500x normal due to all of the salt landing on my windscreen). I had to drive with my head out the driver's window until I got to the next gas station. This crap system would be completely helpless there. Driving across alligator alley during love bug season results in a similar condition without any system failures at all and another helpless self crashing car.

Darwin is waiting for everyone who hops into a self driving car. Lawsuits will push them into the rubble heap of history as soon as they are installed on the first commercial trucks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like an AGW guy screaming "DENIER!!!" at the skeptics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Adaptive cruise control and corrective steering has already been on the market for at least a couple of years.  Mercedes in particular has had these features available since the 2015 models on some cars.  Fully autonomous cars have been testing on public streets for years now.

Mercedes plans to introduce an S-class with a fully autonomous driving mode by 2020 and Ford has said they plan to have a fleet of robo-ubers by 2021.  This is happening.

This is tectonic shift in how much time people have available no one will be able to stop it.  If an average person sleeps 7 hours a day, works for 8 hours a day, spends 2 hours prepping food and eating, 1 hour on hygiene and getting dressed, now you've got 6 hours left.  I live in Houston, but have a relatively short commute, 20-45 minutes each way depending on traffic.  An average commute in Houston is probably 1.5 hours per day.  So if the average person gets their commute time back, their "free time" goes from 4.5 hours per day to 6 hours per day, that's a 1/3 increase.  That's 33% more time to spend with your kids, exercise, read a book, do extra work, whatever.  That's huge.  I'm guessing the average parent doesn't think they have anywhere near 4.5 hours a day of "free time" now so the realistic increase in "free time" is much more than 33%.

This is society buying time from robots on a massive scale, only the additional cost is virtually zero.

I am a car guy and love driving for pleasure.  I think autonomous cars may just save cars for pleasure the same way the car saved horses for pleasure.

Quoted:

I talked to this. Interface layers designed for extensibility are the reasons you see this. That is not/rarely the case in hardware specific implementation. If it was, right now you would be having to disconnect your car's battery every other week because the ECU was borked. "Autonomy" is implemented no differently than how your injector duty cycles as they correlate to spark advance/retard and air temp. Either lookup tables or hard coded formulas. This is how it is actually done in "AI," gains determined through some type of optimization training. Once you have those, it can be hard coded. What looks like "complex reasoning" or "decision making," really isn't.

From the outset, no. Just like anything else. So how and to what degree they implement it will be critical to adoption. I believe we are already seeing the phased smart approach right now. Auto parking, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, collision avoidance assist. Just gradually keep on rolling in new features until eventual you've covered most of the decision space.

I absolutely agree, lawyers could easily kill this.  But if auto manufacturers are smart, they will never present it as "autonomous" car. The next thing you will see should be "adaptive cruise control with lane departure warning" two things already out there. Then after that "adaptive cruise control with lane departure warning and correction." etc etc. Just keep rolling in more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason hyper complex robo-cars will go batshit occasionally? Same reason your Iphone does...not technology, implementation, the inevitability of failure of complex systems designed by eggheads. Your Intel powered computer is nearly flawless in infrastructure, but the blue-screens of death we are accustomed to is a question of implementation of getting that hardware to get from theoretical to practical. .

Do you honestly trust the car-makers to get this right in the complex real world?

From the outset? It ain't happening....not enough to ensure safety, and it has to

Murphy, man. Murphy ensures the issues, especially early on. Trial lawyers ensure that will make it that much harder to ever get widespread adoption in a world built for human drivers.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those newfangled horseless carriages are a fad.

The Internet?  Is that thing still around?

Who the hell needs a phone in their pocket?

I'm not saying the tech is ready, but it's coming fast.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stopped taking you serious right there.

The good thing about this bickering is we're both going to live to see people try this in earnest and the results.

If I'm taking bets, I'll bet on the cold wet fish of reality stinging the optimists more than me.

We'll see.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Neat theory but does it work?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The good thing about this bickering is we're both going to live to see people try this in earnest and the results.

If I'm taking bets, I'll bet on the cold wet fish of reality stinging the optimists more than me.

We'll see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see.

Well... seeing as I have worked on multiple land/air nav solutions that don't use GPS in any way, shape, or form and are currently in production and have been for years, and have been involved with multiple DARPA research efforts and National Research Lab efforts on this topic... I'm gonna stick with GPS is not required. There are many, many ways this can be accomplished without it.

Would you do it without GPS? No. But GPS literally has NOTHING to do with autonomy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well... seeing as I have worked on multiple land/air nav solutions that don't use GPS in any way, shape, or form and are currently in production and have been for years, and have been involved with multiple DARPA research efforts and National Research Lab efforts on this topic... I'm gonna stick with GPS is not required. There are many, many ways this can be accomplished without it.

Would you do it without GPS? No. But GPS literally has NOTHING to do with autonomy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see.

GPS will be secondary and/or tertiary in these systems. I absolutely agree it is not required.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Assuming the government doesn't get its greasy hands on it and mandate not being able to drive manually. I think that computer driven cars could be the best thing for all motorist. The lazy, bad, distracted drivers will gravitate towards the self driven cars easing up traffic related incidents, leaving those who prefer to manual control more room to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

GPS will be secondary and/or tertiary in these systems. I absolutely agree it is not required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see.

Yeah but Swingset has a gut feeling this won't work. I forwarded his sentiments to all the manufacturers already doing it successfully so I wouldn't expect to hear much more about autonomous vehicles in the future
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep like processing graphics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the makers of fucking video cards believe they can do cars.

Hmmm.

GPUs are used for a hell of a lot more than just video.

Right.

That would be why Nvidia have a whole range of GPUs that don't actually have a video output and 9 of the top 10 supercomputers are full of them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We'll see.

A fine resume, but you're not getting what we're actually talking about.

Cars. Driving. On roads. From one address to another. That's what traffic does. It's not your DARPA program, or land/air nav systems.

The kind of autonomy we're talking about (well, the one I am) is a car, navigating around on the streets we live on. It can't do that without accurate input and the way we navigate is not with rough coordinates. Well, maybe you do....but I have to find my doctor's office using Google and someone's map. That's how your car will have to, as well, and if it uses something else someone will have to rely on mapping and an address book to punch it in.

So, let's reset the entire fucking conversation to that...because I thought it was entirely self-evident, but you seem not to be talking about what I'm talking about.

200 million drivers in the US will not use your land/air nav solutions to get from their house to an arbitrary address. They must use some sort of database and mapping solution that is dynamic, rapidly updating, and nearly flawless for mass driverless vehicles to work.

GPS/mapping solutions are what we have now, it's even what LE and the military use when they have to find someone's house on the fly. And, it's fraught with issues and inaccuracies that snarl shit up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah but Swingset has a gut feeling this won't work. I forwarded his sentiments to all the manufacturers already doing it successfully so I wouldn't expect to hear much more about autonomous vehicles in the future

View Quote

Swingset has been paying attention his whole life to over-reaching by futurists and their Jetsons dreaming about an automated future, and also watching our gloriously frivolous-lawsuit-happy society eat itself over liability and risk. And, I know a thing or two about the frailty of hyper-complex systems that potentially kill people or fundamentally change society and industries. They tend to experience extremely tough barriers, for obvious reasons.

My gut is going to be here for a few years, watching as people try desperately to shoe-horn this tech into the complex, growing, political, messy, unkempt real world. I'd love to be wrong, why wouldn't I? Would mean you guys are right and we see less deaths on the road, and Wall-E relaxation on our every commute. Sign me up, the wife and I can bang all the way to Florida.

You think I'm against this? Fuck no, just not gullible about promises of a utopian technology.

If you're right, and I'm such a out-to-lunch stick in the mud, take your guesses how long it will take. Let's just say widespread sales and adoption of a viable driverless vehicle....how long? 5 years? 10? 20?

Do tell. I'm happy to circle it on my calendar and me and my gut will kick back and wait.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Adaptive cruise control and corrective steering has already been on the market for at least a couple of years.  Mercedes in particular has had these features available since the 2015 models on some cars.  Fully autonomous cars have been testing on public streets for years now.

Mercedes plans to introduce an S-class with a fully autonomous driving mode by 2020 and Ford has said they plan to have a fleet of robo-ubers by 2021.  This is happening.

This is tectonic shift in how much time people have available no one will be able to stop it.  If an average person sleeps 7 hours a day, works for 8 hours a day, spends 2 hours prepping food and eating, 1 hour on hygiene and getting dressed, now you've got 6 hours left.  I live in Houston, but have a relatively short commute, 20-45 minutes each way depending on traffic.  An average commute in Houston is probably 1.5 hours per day.  So if the average person gets their commute time back, their "free time" goes from 4.5 hours per day to 6 hours per day, that's a 1/3 increase.  That's 33% more time to spend with your kids, exercise, read a book, do extra work, whatever.  That's huge.  I'm guessing the average parent doesn't think they have anywhere near 4.5 hours a day of "free time" now so the realistic increase in "free time" is much more than 33%.

This is society buying time from robots on a massive scale, only the additional cost is virtually zero.

View Quote
Nobody is getting that 1.5 hours back by riding in a robot car. You're still captive in the car for the entire time. You're not replacing 1.5 hours of nightly sleep, you're not cooking and eating, you're not doing hygiene and getting dressed and you're not playing with your kids at home. You're just riding in the same car instead of driving it. MAYBE if you have the right kind of job then you can squeeze in an extra hour of work every day (Yay!) or watch a movie or do some reading. You're getting more time to do a very limited number of tasks. It's not magical free time. Until automated vehicles take over ALL cars, you're probably going to spend more time in the car because the robot will drive more cautiously than you would have.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
The optimistic folks need to read more on what the government is doing with the potentiality of driverless cars. If this doesn't hash your buzz, not sure what will...

http://fortune.com/2016/02/15/driverless-cars-google-lyft/

This is just ONE of the big three hurdles, btw, it speaks to nothing about liability (tho it does set up a precedent where the software is the "driver"...and that's bad news for the manufacturers in terms of lawsuits). It says nothing about the technical hurdles, it's just a great example of your shit-tarded government jizzing itself to get in the game and make it harder and more expensive to implement. I read another article from a government think tank that identified 700+ legal issues that would need to be addressed over the widespread adoption of driverless vehicles.

Unions will fight it, tooth and nail, 350 million professional drivers will fight it, the insurance industry has no plan but is sure to find the most expensive, convoluted and frustrating avenue towards plopping your butt into a robot car that will make everyone pine for the days of a stick shift and a straight-six.

Traffic controls will have to change in thousands of places where decision making between the first adopted vehicles will clash or create issues with human drivers opposing them are unique or can't be programmed for (sometimes due to their scarcity). Road signs will have to be re-developed and instituted, standards between the states, municipalities and federal highway system to make these issues easier (or even possible) for the cars to deal with.

And, people think this is all just around the corner.

Mean old swingset invented all these issues, you see.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nobody is getting that 1.5 hours back by riding in a robot car. You're still captive in the car for the entire time. You're not replacing 1.5 hours of nightly sleep, you're not cooking and eating, you're not doing hygiene and getting dressed and you're not playing with your kids at home. You're just riding in the same car instead of driving it. MAYBE if you have the right kind of job then you can squeeze in an extra hour of work every day (Yay!) or watch a movie or do some reading. You're getting more time to do a very limited number of tasks. It's not magical free time. Until automated vehicles take over ALL cars, you're probably going to spend more time in the car because the robot will drive more cautiously than you would have.  
View Quote

You can sleep, brush your teeth, work (assuming you have an office job) or just relax, which is a valuable thing to do.  It is free time.  If you do an extra hour of work in the car, then you have to be at the office for an hour less.

Just because it is not a device that teleports you to any activity of your choice doesn't mean it doesn't give you time back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cars. Driving. On roads. From one address to another. That's what traffic does. It's not your DARPA program, or land/air nav systems.

The kind of autonomy we're talking about (well, the one I am) is a car, navigating around on the streets we live on. It can't do that without accurate input and the way we navigate is not with rough coordinates. Well, maybe you do....but I have to find my doctor's office using Google and someone's map. That's how your car will have to, as well, and if it uses something else someone will have to rely on mapping and an address book to punch it in.

So, let's reset the entire fucking conversation to that...because I thought it was entirely self-evident, but you seem not to be talking about what I'm talking about.

200 million drivers in the US will not use your land/air nav solutions to get from their house to an arbitrary address. They must use some sort of database and mapping solution that is dynamic, rapidly updating, and nearly flawless for mass driverless vehicles to work.

GPS/mapping solutions are what we have now, it's even what LE and the military use when they have to find someone's house on the fly. And, it's fraught with issues and inaccuracies that snarl shit up.
View Quote

That is what I have been talking about the whole time.  Let me clarify a statement I made earlier, "Autonomous LANDNAV is essentially a 2.5DOF problem that actually was "solved" a long time ago, for highly dynamic environments." By that I mean, "a car driving around on streets without GPS. As well as off road - which is actually MUCH more challenging than roads."

Accurate navigation does not require GPS. As stated, it would be tertiary for this situation because it could not be guaranteed. GPS is what is considered the "rough coordinates," if it is even used at all. The GPS info is considered the grossly inaccurate part. Humans managed to find their way around for... well... all of recorded history prior to GPS. Folks have been navigating in cars for a century without GPS. There exist many ways of obtaining positional information without GPS, these methods have been in the "the files are IN the computer!!" digital and even vacuum tube domain for a long time.  Hopefully everyone caught that reference. Hell, I was consulting the Naval Post Graduate school last week on how to refine yet another one of these methods last week. My OT approval came in today to help them on that project again. Yes, this is for driving on real streets... how to all but instantly ascertain your position given ZERO initial positional information.

Originally I thought this was neat news, based on offloading a 9 layer CNN onto a GPU. The amount of calculations required for that is... monumental. However when seeing this was a simplistic (though overfit - aka lol garbage) steering feedback (not even remotely approaching landnav) just using a 3 layer, there is a reason I posted "how the fuck is this even news?"  You can believe it or not, but this has ALREADY existed for a long time and without GPS.

How exactly auto makers roll it out, is the question. I absolutely agree lawyers or .gov can fuck this up with a quickness. Regulations will be the mountain that needs to be climbed, not the tech side.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The optimistic folks need to read more on what the government is doing with the potentiality of driverless cars. If this doesn't hash your buzz, not sure what will...

This is just ONE of the big three hurdles, btw, it speaks to nothing about liability (tho it does set up a precedent where the software is the "driver"...and that's bad news for the manufacturers in terms of lawsuits). It says nothing about the technical hurdles, it's just a great example of your shit-tarded government jizzing itself to get in the game and make it harder and more expensive to implement. I read another article from a government think tank that identified 700+ legal issues that would need to be addressed over the widespread adoption of driverless vehicles.

Unions will fight it, tooth and nail, 350 million professional drivers will fight it, the insurance industry has no plan but is sure to find the most expensive, convoluted and frustrating avenue towards plopping your butt into a robot car that will make everyone pine for the days of a stick shift and a straight-six.

Traffic controls will have to change in thousands of places where decision making between the first adopted vehicles will clash or create issues with human drivers opposing them are unique or can't be programmed for (sometimes due to their scarcity). Road signs will have to be re-developed and instituted, standards between the states, municipalities and federal highway system to make these issues easier (or even possible) for the cars to deal with.

View Quote

I think you must have read a different article.  The one you linked talks about an NHTSA "smackdown" but the actual document from the NHTSA was  a major step forward for autonomous cars to recognize that the car, and not an occupant, can be the driver.  It also goes on to talk about how the federal government is set to release the first rules guidance for autonomous cars in six months.  

Liability isn't nearly the issue you make it out to be.  Carmakers already get sued for many deaths and have managed it just fine, despite huge levels of fraud.  Given a grant from the government, I can probably identify 700+ legal issues that should be dealt with based on anyone's daily activity, but that doesn't mean they are significant impediments, or that they need to be addressed at all.

Unions might fight it, but they will lose, just like they have been losing ground for decades.  Insurance companies won't fight it because they will still charge for insurance, increase rates for those who drive themselves, and pay fewer claims.  It's a huge win for them.

You don't have to make any changes in traffic controls or traffic signs.  You are missing the point that it is now feasible to build a computer that can make the same decisions and control the car in the same ways as an average person.  It doesn't need special markings or perfect gps, it can work just like a person does.  There is no magic in a person operating a car well below its limits or navigating to a destination.

It's not just around the corner, most of it is already here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That is what I have been talking about the whole time.  Let me clarify a statement I made earlier, "Autonomous LANDNAV is essentially a 2.5DOF problem that actually was "solved" a long time ago, for highly dynamic environments." By that I mean, "a car driving around on streets without GPS. As well as off road - which is actually MUCH more challenging than roads."

Accurate navigation does not require GPS. As stated, it would be tertiary for this situation because it could not be guaranteed. GPS is what is considered the "rough coordinates," if it is even used at all. The GPS info is considered the grossly inaccurate part. Humans managed to find their way around for... well... all of recorded history prior to GPS. Folks have been navigating in cars for a century without GPS. There exist many ways of obtaining positional information without GPS, these methods have been in the "the files are IN the computer!!" digital and even vacuum tube domain for a long time.  Hopefully everyone caught that reference. Hell, I was consulting the Naval Post Graduate school last week on how to refine yet another one of these methods last week. My OT approval came in today to help them on that project again. Yes, this is for driving on real streets... how to all but instantly ascertain your position given ZERO initial positional information.

Originally I thought this was neat news, based on offloading a 9 layer CNN onto a GPU. The amount of calculations required for that is... monumental. However when seeing this was a simplistic (though overfit - aka lol garbage) steering feedback (not even remotely approaching landnav) just using a 3 layer, there is a reason I posted "how the fuck is this even news?"  You can believe it or not, but this has ALREADY existed for a long time and without GPS.

How exactly auto makers roll it out, is the question. I absolutely agree lawyers or .gov can fuck this up with a quickness. Regulations will be the mountain that needs to be climbed, not the tech side.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY FUCK do you have the ability to talk around me. It's like a Jedi skill.

Please, please, take a deep breath and TRY to understand what I'm saying here. There's a difficulty with autonomy, in the real world, with a car that must navigate by human input (that would be quasi-dumb-shit passengers, btw) on the fly.

Accurate navigation may not require GPS but without mapping/addresses/POI accuracy it's totally fucking meaningless for the daily travel of the 200 million drivers out there what method you're using....you'll just be very accurately pointing to a spot on the globe that is not the place you were wanting to go. And, you might have input a point by which the car is either incapable or very flawed in deciding how to get there, whether the roads are viable or open, or even whether such a point exists at all.

As it stands, the best stuff for compiling all that shit together right now is the open market GPS industry and third-party & open source mapping. And, even that is hilariously shitty and flawed.

Now, one more time, let's talk about driving from one address to another, to possibly a few more, which you may have to put into your car's system on the fly.

Whatever mechanism for getting those coordinates, and then entering them into the car's brains might exist, is fucking ESSENTIAL to SUCCESSFUL autonomy. If you want to play an endless and overly effusive game of semantics over it, or what autonomous means, or how GPS works, dude you're talking around me.

But take careful note, here. The reason that navigation is going to be extremely difficult now and in the foreseeable future is because the same inherent problems with getting accurate info from the real world into the GPS/Map datas that exist will be the same inherent problem as getting them into whatever super cool tech you have going.

For things to work sufficient that autonomous cars don't take a huge sophisticated shit on stuff like this depends on volitional and accurate entry of every single address, description, on every road and building....and a viable and nearly flawless execution of routing and traffic to get there.

That's a huge hurdle.

Let me illustrate this with a small example. The building I work in can't be routed to by the street. Not with GPS solutions, online mapping, even using the city street data. Why? Because it was moved on the property and the entrance now dumps onto a street that is not officially a street yet. There's no data to re-configure this issue, so if you type it in to ANY system and try to get your robo-car to get here, it's going to route you the wrong way down a one-way street, to an entrance that has been removed.

Navigation for a vehicle to accurately deliver you as a driver, needs more than the coordinates of my building (which have also changed, so even if you tried to drop a missle on us, it would miss if your data is out of date, and it likely will be). It needs to know the new place, how the route needs to change, and it can only be as accurate as the input. So, the car will fail, and possibly put itself in a dangerous situation to accomplish this task in today's world.

Are we on the same page yet?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I think you must have read a different article.  The one you linked talks about an NHTSA "smackdown" but the actual document from the NHTSA was  a major step forward for autonomous cars to recognize that the car, and not an occupant, can be the driver.  It also goes on to talk about how the federal government is set to release the first rules guidance for autonomous cars in six months.  

Liability isn't nearly the issue you make it out to be.  Carmakers already get sued for many deaths and have managed it just fine, despite huge levels of fraud.  Given a grant from the government, I can probably identify 700+ legal issues that should be dealt with based on anyone's daily activity, but that doesn't mean they are significant impediments, or that they need to be addressed at all.

Unions might fight it, but they will lose, just like they have been losing ground for decades.  Insurance companies won't fight it because they will still charge for insurance, increase rates for those who drive themselves, and pay fewer claims.  It's a huge win for them.

You don't have to make any changes in traffic controls or traffic signs.  You are missing the point that it is now feasible to build a computer that can make the same decisions and control the car in the same ways as an average person.  It doesn't need special markings or perfect gps, it can work just like a person does.  There is no magic in a person operating a car well below its limits or navigating to a destination.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's like arguing with Gene Roddenberry in threads like these. I've never seen an emerging technology that's so profoundly difficult that people think is just around the corner.

It's not that I'm saying these things cannot or will not be overcome, I'm saying the complexities, the government, the liability and risk, even the cost and downsides are going to slow the roll much harder than you guys are willing to admit.

The NHTSA, by making the car the driver paves the way for absolutely every single accident to fall DIRECTLY on the maker/software. That's a new paradigm unprecedented in the history of automobiles, and you just shrug it off. Sure, a company can field some lawsuits over deaths. Can they field EVERY lawsuit over EVERY death involving their vehicles? These will be slam dunk legal cases, btw, when the government has already declared the car legally liable.

I can't argue with optimism that thinks that's not going to be a big deal. All I can do is promise you that we're going to watch this experiment unfold and I'm willing to bet I'm far more right about the hurdles than you are.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let me illustrate this with a small example. The building I work in can't be routed to by the street. Not with GPS solutions, online mapping, even using the city street data. Why? Because it was moved on the property and the entrance now dumps onto a street that is not officially a street yet. There's no data to re-configure this issue, so if you type it in to ANY system and try to get your robo-car to get here, it's going to route you the wrong way down a one-way street, to an entrance that has been removed.

Navigation for a vehicle to accurately deliver you as a driver, needs more than the coordinates of my building (which have also changed, so even if you tried to drop a missle on us, it would miss if your data is out of date, and it likely will be). It needs to know the new place, how the route needs to change, and it can only be as accurate as the input. So, the car will fail, and possibly put itself in a dangerous situation to accomplish this task in today's world.

View Quote

Finding your gypsy camp frankly isn't a significant concern.  Current gps solutions work 99% of the time, and the less than 1% of the time they don't, the driverless car won't be any more lost than your average person.  And yes, the autonomous car will be able to see the street that isn't on the map yet.  It's really no different than an uber driver.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's like arguing with Gene Roddenberry in threads like these. I've never seen an emerging technology that's so profoundly difficult that people think is just around the corner.

It's not that I'm saying these things cannot or will not be overcome, I'm saying the complexities, the government, the liability and risk, even the cost and downsides are going to slow the roll much harder than you guys are willing to admit.

The NHTSA, by making the car the driver paves the way for absolutely every single accident to fall DIRECTLY on the maker/software. That's a new paradigm unprecedented in the history of automobiles, and you just shrug it off. Sure, a company can field some lawsuits over deaths. Can they field EVERY lawsuit over EVERY death involving their vehicles? These will be slam dunk legal cases, btw, when the government has already declared the car legally liable.

I can't argue with optimism that thinks that's not going to be a big deal. All I can do is promise you that we're going to watch this experiment unfold and I'm willing to bet I'm far more right about the hurdles than you are.
View Quote

The NHTSA hasn't said they are liable for every accident anymore than they are saying that every driver is liable for every accident.  They are not slam dunk legal cases because the plaintiff will have the burden of proving it was the manufacturers fault, the same as it is now.

Last year there were roughly 7.7 million cars sold in the US and roughly 30,000 deaths in cars.  Even if autonomous cars only reduce that by 90%, that's only 3,00  death cases a year.  That is nothing in comparison to the sales.

I don't think we said it was easy, in fact the opposite.  But the technical feasibility, resources being thrown at this, the plans being made, and the huge upside for everyone (except truck drivers) mean this will happen and it will happen soon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Please, please, take a deep breath and TRY to understand what I'm saying here. There's a difficulty with autonomy, in the real world, with a car that must navigate by human input (that would be quasi-dumb-shit passengers, btw) on the fly.

Accurate navigation may not require GPS but without mapping/addresses/POI accuracy it's totally fucking meaningless for the daily travel of the 200 million drivers out there what method you're using....you'll just be very accurately pointing to a spot on the globe that is not the place you were wanting to go. And, you might have input a point by which the car is either incapable or very flawed in deciding how to get there, whether the roads are viable or open, or even whether such a point exists at all.

As it stands, the best stuff for compiling all that shit together right now is the open market GPS industry and third-party & open source mapping. And, even that is hilariously shitty and flawed.

Now, one more time, let's talk about driving from one address to another, to possibly a few more, which you may have to put into your car's system on the fly.

Whatever mechanism for getting those coordinates, and then entering them into the car's brains might exist, is fucking ESSENTIAL to SUCCESSFUL autonomy. If you want to play an endless and overly effusive game of semantics over it, or what autonomous means, or how GPS works, dude you're talking around me.

But take careful note, here. The reason that navigation is going to be extremely difficult now and in the foreseeable future is because the same inherent problems with getting accurate info from the real world into the GPS/Map datas that exist will be the same inherent problem as getting them into whatever super cool tech you have going.

For things to work sufficient that autonomous cars don't take a huge sophisticated shit on stuff like this depends on volitional and accurate entry of every single address, description, on every road and building....and a viable and nearly flawless execution of routing and traffic to get there.

That's a huge hurdle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a huge hurdle.

You used a lot of words to describe waypoint delta variance and truthing validation.  

But lets shift gears here. Did you know that the only proper way to install a 4 Ton Rheem is put the evaporator coils on the roof and the condenser coils in the oven?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Right.

That would be why Nvidia have a whole range of GPUs that don't actually have a video output and 9 of the top 10 supercomputers are full of them.
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/docs/IO/143900/tesla-k40.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the makers of fucking video cards believe they can do cars.

Hmmm.

GPUs are used for a hell of a lot more than just video.

Right.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/docs/IO/143900/tesla-k40.png

GPU's were used in the initial cracking and checksum hashing of your Powerstroke ECM. Now you know
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top