User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 4:25:21 AM EDT

NKorea warns of nuclear war amid rising tensions
link
Jun 14, 7:26 AM (ET)

By HYUNG-JIN KIM

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea's communist regime has warned of a nuclear war on the Korean peninsula while vowing to step up its atomic bomb-making program in defiance of new U.N. sanctions.

The North's defiance presents a growing diplomatic headache for President Barack Obama as he prepares for talks Tuesday with his South Korean counterpart on the North's missile and nuclear programs.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak told security-related ministers during an unscheduled meeting Sunday to "resolutely and squarely" cope with the North's latest threat, his office said. Lee is to leave for the U.S. on Monday morning.

A commentary Sunday in the North's main state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper, carried by the official Korean Central News Agency, claimed the U.S. has 1,000 nuclear weapons in South Korea. Another commentary published Saturday in the state-run Tongil Sinbo weekly claimed the U.S. has been deploying a vast amount of nuclear weapons in South Korea and Japan.

North Korea "is completely within the range of U.S. nuclear attack and the Korean peninsula is becoming an area where the chances of a nuclear war are the highest in the world," the Tongil Sinbo commentary said.

Kim Yong-kyu, a spokesman at the U.S. military command in Seoul, called the latest accusation "baseless," saying Washington has no nuclear bombs in South Korea. U.S. tactical nuclear weapons were removed from South Korea in 1991 as part of arms reductions following the Cold War.

South Korea's Unification Ministry issued a statement Sunday demanding the North stop stoking tension, abandon its nuclear weapons and return to dialogue with the South.

On Saturday, North Korea's Foreign Ministry threatened war on any country that dared to stop its ships on the high seas under the new sanctions approved by the U.N. Security Council on Friday as punishment for the North's latest nuclear test.

It is not clear if the statements are simply rhetorical. Still, they are a huge setback for international attempts to rein in North Korea's nuclear ambitions following its second nuclear test on May 25. It first tested a nuclear device in 2006.

In Saturday's statement, North Korea said it has been enriching uranium to provide fuel for its light-water reactor. It was the first public acknowledgment the North is running a uranium enrichment program in addition to its known plutonium-based program. The two radioactive materials are key ingredients in making atomic bombs.

On Sunday, Yonhap news agency reported South Korea and the U.S. have mobilized spy satellites, reconnaissance aircraft and human intelligence networks to obtain evidence that the North has been running a uranium enrichment program.

South Korea's Defense Ministry said it could not confirm the report. The National Intelligence Service - South Korea's main spy agency - was not available for comment.

North Korea said more than one-third of 8,000 spent fuel rods in its possession has been reprocessed and all the plutonium extracted would be used to make atomic bombs. The country could harvest 13-18 pounds (6-8 kilograms) of plutonium - enough to make at least one nuclear bomb - if all the rods are reprocessed.

In addition, North Korea is believed to have enough plutonium for at least half a dozen atomic bombs.

North Korea says its nuclear program is a deterrent against the U.S., which it routinely accuses of plotting to topple its regime. Washington, which has 28,500 troops in South Korea, has repeatedly said it has no such intention.

The new U.N. sanctions are aimed at depriving the North of the financing used to build its rogue nuclear program. The resolution also authorized searches of North Korean ships suspected of transporting illicit ballistic missile and nuclear materials.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the new U.N. penalties provide the necessary tools to help check North Korea's continued pursuit of nuclear weapons.

The sanctions show that "North Korea's pursuit of nuclear weapons and the capacity to deliver those weapons through missiles is not going to be accepted by the neighbors as well as the greater international community," Clinton said Saturday at a news conference in Canada.

Time to write another Strong Worded Letter???
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone here think we'll be stopping their ships at sea?

I think the NK's are talking shit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not talk shit. They talk about nuclear war and the UN sends them a letter and Odumbo talks to SOUTH Korea. Whatever.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought Hillary took care of this yesterday.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]

North Korea "is completely within the range of U.S. nuclear attack and the Korean peninsula is becoming an area where the chances of a nuclear war are the highest in the world,"

Let's see, NK has been "within the range" for over 60 years.

The only reason that the chances are highest in the world is because the NK dumbfucks have them now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She was busy writing a blog on the Huffington Post about hunger. Priorities ya know

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hillary-clinton/attacking-hunger-at-its-r_b_214351.html

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Yikes!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
They are full of it. They know we will annihilate them with out them even touching our mainland. All they are doing is playing off of our leadership's perceived weakness.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are full of it. They know we will annihilate them with out them even touching our mainland. All they are doing is playing off of our leadership's perceived weakness.

This....
They may as well nuke themselves if they were to ever nuke someone else....     Is there a good market for Korean glass?????

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

North Korea says its nuclear program is a deterrent against the U.S., which it routinely accuses of plotting to topple its regime. Washington, which has 28,500 troops in South Korea, has repeatedly said it has no such intention.

A deterrent?  Couldn't we use one of our own and just totally wipe them out?  Besides, we don't need a deterrent.. we have a puppet in the white house that isn't gonna do shit

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]

They could of made a much simpler statement.

"Send us aid NOW or else. We have spent all our money on developing nuclear weapons, we are hungry"
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Why hasn't China done more to get rid of these wackos in N. Korea?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In her mind, the real world.............. well that's a different story.  They launch a nuke and I think the US, Russia and China will annihilate them post haste.  In fact by the time Obama stops stuttering about what happened, Russia and China will have the job done.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a reason they are going off like this.

What has changed in the last few months?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#15]
We need another apology from TOTUS. That will take care of the situation, because what our enemies really respect is weakness.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

China is the reason they are there.  Without China, the north lost the Korean war.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
We all know we got a dumb fuck halfrican in the office and Hillary off dodging sniper attacks but I truly pray these dumbasses don't fuck this one up....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Let me think............

GR

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think Kim jong Il is on his last legs...a nuclear war with the evil west might be his last great "hurrah".

Obama's a pansy when it comes to foreign policy.

North Koreans continue to starve, have inadequate infrastructure and healthcare...this is a fine way for the "Great Leader" to redirect their focus.

Kim Jong Il is batshit insane (course, this hasn't changed much over the last decade).

I could go on and on...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#20]
This could be THE BIG ONE.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#21]
They had nukes when Bush was in power too. But you didn't see any of this nonsense. Maybe it had to do with his wiping out 2 governments and making Saddam swing from a rope?

The only real change between then and now is the piece of shit community appeaser currently contaminating the white house.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They had nukes when Bush was in power too. But you didn't see any of this nonsense. Maybe it had to do with wiping out 2 governments and making Saddam swing from a rope?

The only real change is the piece of shit community appeaser currently contaminating the white house.

Yep, and that dipshit is going to be the one who gets us all killed.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

China is the reason they are there.  Without China, the north lost the Korean war.

Is China still friendly with N. Korea?  I don't know much about this situation.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They had nukes when Bush was in power too. But you didn't see any of this nonsense. Maybe it had to do with his wiping out 2 governments and making Saddam swing from a rope?

The only real change between then and now is the piece of shit community appeaser currently contaminating the white house.

There's no doubt they are testing Obama.  More countries will probably do this.

That's why I'm disappointed China hasn't finally seen the light and stepped in.  China can't possibly be happy with all this.......can they?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say 'cordial'. I bet China does not like having a nuclear power right on its border. Especially when that nuclear arsenal is being controlled by a nut...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see stories about NORKs threatening Chicomm soldiers and reporters on their side of the border sometimes.  Those US reporters were kidnapped from the Chinese side. NK is like China's retarded little brother. They pitch a fit and might threaten you every now and then, but you still gotta take care of them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I see.  Thanks for info. guys.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was busy writing a blog on the Huffington Post about hunger. Priorities ya know

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hillary-clinton/attacking-hunger-at-its-r_b_214351.html

It will take a village to deal with this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Biden was right.  Again.

Ubungo and the bitch Clinton cannot manage their own lives.  How are they going to resolve this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see stories about NORKs threatening Chicomm soldiers and reporters on their side of the border sometimes.  Those US reporters were kidnapped from the Chinese side. NK is like China's retarded little brother. They pitch a fit and might threaten you every now and then, but you still gotta take care of them.

Well said.  Plus the kenyan is scared of China not financing him if he does anything against their retarded brother.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone find it disturbing that we have a National Health care "crisis", while Nukes in North Korea are a "headache"?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#32]
[/quote]Well said.  Plus the kenyan is scared of China not financing him if he does anything against their retarded brother.[/quote]

+1

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#33]
China is still playing the game where anything that weakens America strengthens China by comparison.  N Korea is a thorn in the side to America, and thus the Chinese allow it to fester.

The only thing that will get the Chinese off their red asses and slap N Korea around is for the Japanese to say "fuck this we're building nukes".  The Chinese really don't want Jap nukes and will probably become more tractable under this implied threat.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Hope & Change baby......Hope & Change
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They had nukes when Bush was in power too. But you didn't see any of this nonsense. Maybe it had to do with wiping out 2 governments and making Saddam swing from a rope?

The only real change is the piece of shit community appeaser currently contaminating the white house.

Yep, and that dipshit is going to be the one who gets us all killed.

He is in WAY over his head.  I guess flappin' his jaw and campaigning won't work here.  Who's he blaming this on?  I know one thing, he ain't running mouth about this issue, he has no clue where to go from here.

When is the no confidence vote occurring, that will be a good one, Dems with a brain voting out their own loser.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they are a village over there, all the other villages sent their idiots to live there.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they are a village over there, all the other villages sent their idiots to live there.

We already have our quota, somewhere in Kenya a village is looking for their idiot right now.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#38]
We have bigger problems, we should stay out of it and China will eventually have to step in.  If not S Korea or Japan will wipe them out if provoked.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Kim jong Il is on his last legs...a nuclear war with the evil west might be his last great "hurrah".

Obama's a pansy when it comes to foreign policy.

North Koreans continue to starve, have inadequate infrastructure and healthcare...this is a fine way for the "Great Leader" to redirect their focus.

Kim Jong Il is batshit insane (course, this hasn't changed much over the last decade).

I could go on and on...

+1. Kim jong Il is mentally ill and is an out of control mad hatter of a dictator. We are not dealing with a reasonable person here. 90% of the NK citizens are also brainwashed, out of their minds and look at this nut as a god like figure.

To make things worse Kim jong Il looks like he is at deaths door from the last official picture released. He looked extremely ill and had that face of someone in the last stages of terminal cancer or a similar wasting disease.

This has the making of a freaking disaster if this fool wants to go out with a bang. If he is able to get a nuke into Seoul along with a massive first strike chemical weapons attack on the south it would kill millions of people. At that point we would be forced to wipe them off the map. It would result in a global economic collapse and most likely some version of WWIII with possibly tens of millions killed or more if it spreads.

Lets hope for the best…..

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#40]
And so it begins.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

North Korea "is completely within the range of U.S. nuclear attack and the Korean peninsula is becoming an area where the chances of a nuclear war are the highest in the world,"

Let's see, NK has been "within the range" for over 60 years.

The only reason that the chances are highest in the world is because the NK dumbfucks have them now.

I'd worry more about a nuclear war erupting between Pakistan and India. Especially since I'm still not convinced the NorKs have an actual atom bomb.

Hey Kim, let's see an ABOVE-GROUND demonstration, eh?

Besides, the moment the North Koreans detonated their WWII atom bomb anywhere in South Korea, the South Koreans would unleash the apocalypse on the NorKs. They wouldn't even know what the fuck just happened, one minute they're supervising peasants harvesting rice by hand, the next some guy who's two feet taller than them ran up, shoved the barrel of a Daewoo up their ass and pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

International affairs fail.

They DEVELOPED nuclear weapons during the Bush administration despite the administrations threatening, cajoling and whining about it.
Boy, we sure showed them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#43]
So ronry....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

International affairs fail.

They DEVELOPED nuclear weapons during the Bush administration despite the administrations threatening, cajoling and whining about it.
Boy, we sure showed them.

Smoke & mirrors for the US sheople, Obama is going to start his health care and immigration  push, so they need to distract the masses.

NK would not dare fk with the Chicoms cash cow

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#45]
North Korea says its nuclear program is a deterrent against the U.S., which it routinely accuses of plotting to topple its regime.

North Korean and Chinese history says the Korean War was started by the US launching an unprovoked invasion of Korea so it could expand its evil empire. Not, you know, the whole thing with the communists launching an unprovoked invasion of Korea and the US coming to their defense.

Additionally, both North Korea and China give the war as an American loss. Both countries tell their people that they single-handedly (NK doesn't credit the Chinese, nor vice versa) defeated the Americans and prevented them from completely taking over the peninsula. North Korea's version of 'history' goes even further: South Korea is ruled by the Americans and South Koreans are our slaves. The North Korean army is constantly battling American troops trying to invade across the border and constantly driving them back. They also take photos of US soldiers at whatever that building is that straddles the border, then publish the photos in their newspaper with the headline "ANOTHER AMERICAN SOLDIER DEFECTS TO GLORIOUS NORTH KOREA!" You'd think with all these white dudes that are way taller than anybody in NK defecting to join North Korea, that somebody would question why they've never seen one. Further, North Korea enjoys higher quality of life than anywhere else in the world and all evidence to the contrary is American propaganda to trick you into betraying your country and Dear Leader.

Yes, apparently the uneducated people living like medieval peasants (with the same technology, minus the soldiers driving trucks and wielding AK-47's who come through now and again) and constantly on the brink of starvation have a quality of life far superior to that of the Americans who own large, air-conditioned houses, private automobiles, firearms of their own, televisions, computers, and so much food they're getting fat and dying as a result.

North Korea is the basis for Orwell's 1984, I swear.

Some North Korean and Chinese propaganda:

"If our missiles don't work, we'll smash them with radioactive giants! Blirriant!"

And, what the heck, let's see some Soviet propaganda.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because the North Koreans keep us distracted with their insane antics while China quietly builds up so it can become the world superpower and take on the US military.

Also, the North Koreans will make useful cannon fodder to throw at the South Koreans and US troops stationed on the peninsula so that there's fewer soldiers to deal with the Chinese assaults on Taiwan, Japan, and the US navy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

China is the reason they are there. Without China, the north lost the Korean war.

Is China still friendly with N. Korea? I don't know much about this situation.

I would say 'cordial'. I bet China does not like having a nuclear power right on its border. Especially when that nuclear arsenal is being controlled by a nut...

China is practical and patient when dealing with North Korea. China fears millions of North Korean refugees fleeing across the border into China so China puts up with a lot of shit to make sure that does not happen.
5sub
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the North Koreans keep us distracted with their insane antics while China quietly builds up so it can become the world superpower and take on the US military.

Also, the North Koreans will make useful cannon fodder to throw at the South Koreans and US troops stationed on the peninsula so that there's fewer soldiers to deal with the Chinese assaults on Taiwan, Japan, and the US navy.

China quietly builds up so it can become the world superpower and take on the US military.

Extremely unlikely. China would be foolish to to harm their loan collateral.
5sub

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Biden was right.  Again.

Ubungo and the bitch Clinton cannot manage their own lives.  How are they going to resolve this?

Spot on.

HH
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who do you think helped them develop the atom bomb? Besides, I doubt they're overly worried about North Korea. Their missiles always fail spectacularly, and their bombs, if they have them, are over-sized WWII-technology atom bombs. China isn't too threatened by this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top