Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Tex? Where you at???  You're missin some good stuf here!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think some of ya'll understand just how hard it is to drive 400 miles at 200mph with 42 other cars around you going just as fast and all trying to win the race.  It gets hot in those cars, it takes a toll on your muscels having to clutch, gas, turn the wheel, avoid wrecks, ect.  Watching a well trained pit crew is just poetry in motion, you can win or  lose a race in the pits.  And then there's the engine, they just said that they're turing 9K RPM going into turn 1, most street engines are luckey to see 6K RPM, and these engines live at that RPM too, that takes a hell of an engine builder to put something together that work at that RPM for that many miles.  Plus, there's the race within the race. Ya'll are too busy watching the front of the pack, check out some of the stuff going on back in the field.  I'd bet most of you would shit your pants if you were running 200mph and someone bumped ya' with their car, these guys do it for a living every weekend and they enjoy it. It takes a heck of a man to race for a living, I don't care if we're talking NASCAR, NHRA , Sprint Cars or whatever.  These guys put their lives on the line to bring us a show and for that I have total respect for them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't think some of ya'll understand just how hard it is to drive 400 miles at 200mph with 42 other cars around you going just as fast and all trying to win the race.  It gets hot in those cars, it takes a toll on your muscels having to clutch, gas, turn the wheel, avoid wrecks, ect.  Watching a well trained pit crew is just poetry in motion, you can win or  lose a race in the pits.  And then there's the engine, they just said that they're turing 9K RPM going into turn 1, most street engines are luckey to see 6K RPM, and these engines live at that RPM too, that takes a hell of an engine builder to put something together that work at that RPM for that many miles.  Plus, there's the race within the race. Ya'll are too busy watching the front of the pack, check out some of the stuff going on back in the field.  I'd bet most of you would shit your pants if you were running 200mph and someone bumped ya' with their car, these guys do it for a living every weekend and they enjoy it. It takes a heck of a man to race for a living, I don't care if we're talking NASCAR, NHRA , Sprint Cars or whatever.  These guys put their lives on the line to bring us a show and for that I have total respect for them.

YAWN!!!

Big deal, so a bunch of guys get to go fast and turn left on a field of 42 other professional drivers that they know, personally to at least be sober.

Truck drivers in this country routinely drive over 400 miles, each day, in varying weather conditions, surrounded by thousands of unknowns in varying states of mental and physical condition.  Not to mention who know when any of them last had their car in the same city as a certified mechanic, much less a full pit crew.

But dem der boys sher look pretty in der shiny cars wit all dem steekers, ooh daisy!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess some of Ya'll just don't get it and NEVER will. That's fine, I'll enjoy my racing and you can just sit on the couch and sleep. Doesn't matter to me, I like it and that's good enough for me. It also seems like I'm not the only one that likes it either, check the numbers that'll be at the Bristol Race next Saturday Night, bet it'll be over 160,000 people. Name another sport that draws that many people, kind of hard isn't it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!
What do the grandstands at a nascar event look like ??

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess some of Ya'll just don't get it and NEVER will. That's fine, I'll enjoy my racing and you can just sit on the couch and sleep. Doesn't matter to me, I like it and that's good enough for me. It also seems like I'm not the only one that likes it either, check the numbers that'll be at the Bristol Race next Saturday Night, bet it'll be over 160,000 people. Name another sport that draws that many people, kind of hard isn't it.

Well....

If only a few dozen went, they wouldn't be sheeple would they?

Well, except for the frequent attempts at cross breeding

ETA:

"Well, can ya bah like a sheep boy? WELL CAN YA??"

"Baa-aa-aa-aah!  Now please take it out!!!"
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!
What do the grandstands at a nascar event look like ??

Looks like a hell of a fun party to me. LOL
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not going to argue the significance of Nascar within the world of racing. Everyone likes different kinds of racing and thats cool. Nothing wrong with more racing (except for the IRL and Grand-Am, they can go to hell).

The question I have for Nascar fans is do you understand the impact that Toyota will have on Nascar?
I'm not talking about brand or import/export competition.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow .......... that really hurts !!

Now go away and don't come back till your Mommy isn't buying your clothes any more
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm not going to argue the significance of Nascar within the world of racing. Everyone likes different kinds of racing and thats cool. Nothing wrong with more racing (except for the IRL and Grand-Am, they can go to hell).

The question I have for Nascar fans is do you understand the impact that Toyota will have on Nascar?

The same as Daimler-Chrysler (NOTHING)

the "NEW Nascar" continually dicks with rules to artifically create a level playing field. The "old Nascar" let better engineering from the manufacturers drive the sport (win on sunday, sell on monday) now it's common template aero-blobs that have NOTHING in common with the factories' products or engineering prowess (Toyota or Honda wins Indy - big deal, do you see any engineering from Indy in your Accord or Camry? No. You will see even less from a company's involvement with Na$car, except for rear wings and decals. rear wings that have NO effect under 110 MPH)

Brian France, Fox & NBC have turned the once-valid sport into an utter farce. damn shame too.

Now a race is a sea of ricers disgorging little boys wearing Dale junior hats to try to pick up the little girls wearing Dale junior halter tops. woooooooo

might be fun, but racing it ain't.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the "NEW Nascar" continually dicks with rules to artifically create a level playing field. The "old Nascar" let better engineering from the manufacturers drive the sport (win on sunday, sell on monday) now it's common template aero-blobs that have NOTHING in common with the factories' products or engineering prowess (Toyota or Honda wins Indy - big deal, do you see any engineering from Indy in your Accord or Camry? No. You will see even less from a company's involvement with Na$car, except for rear wings and decals. rear wings that have NO effect under 110 MPH)

Brian France, Fox & NBC have turned the once-valid sport into an utter farce. damn shame too.

Now a race is a sea of ricers disgorging little boys wearing Dale junior hats to try to pick up the little girls wearing Dale junior halter tops. woooooooo

This is a very good reason to support your local Dirt Track. Most of the local Dirt Track racers do their own work and run a very low tech. car.  We've got a good Dirt Track here and I'm planning on attending a couple races to lend my support.  Like I've said before, I like ALL Motor Sports( I even like watching the bikes run), I guess because I've turned a wrench or two on my own car back in the day and did some stop light to stop light racing and enjoyed it.  I can empathise with racers, I've busted my nuckles a time or two working on a car, it's not as easy as some of ya'll think to race.   Some people get Racing and some don't. I don't get Football or Basketball and never will, to each his own. That doesn't mean that I have to run down the NFL or NBA just because I don't get it or don't like it. Like your moma should have told ya', "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[

SWING and a miss.

Hint: Take a look at series that Toyota no longer competes in .
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I know that Toyota is one of the Big Time sponsors of the NASCAR Truck Race. At Nashville two weekends ago they had over 9000 employees there. Tennessee has a Toyota Plant so that's why then has so many people there.  I guess the more sponsors the better because it brings money into the sport, still I'd like to see Ford, Chevy and Dodge be more competive.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]

DW and the Fox crew were talking about this on their last race this year. It will make a huge impact on NASCAR. Toyota is running Dodge engines right now but is developing their own motor. They didn't have anything in their inventory that would comply with their motor regulations. When they are up and running the face and expense budgets of NASCAR R&D will never be the same. They will throw huge amounts of people and money at the problem. If they are as successful as they were in CART and F1 the American manufactures will have to get back into the sport to keep up.

I don't know if they plan to run a cup car but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Honda is developing a pickup truck now and they will be next to join the fray. IF the power's that be running NASCAR don't PC themselves and the sport to death the next 5 years or so may be very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, Mark Martin got robbed, LOL. Damn lug nuts. Ol' Jimmy Johnson is having a real bad run of luck, good thing he was in the points lead before all of this happened. Oh, well, Bristol will be a fun race, Wed. Night will be the Truck race then Busch on Friday and Cup on Saturday.  WOOHOO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Ehhh, there was real racing happening today.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted: They will throw huge amounts of people and money at the problem. If they are as successful as they were in CART and F1 the American manufactures will have to get back into the sport to keep up.

Toyota hasn't been what I would call a success in Forumula One racing

2002- 2 constructors points scored (3 way tie for last place)

2003- 16 (7th place)

2004- 8 constructors points scored so far this season

2004 Constructors Championship
  Constructor Points

1   Ferrari 202

2   Renault 91

3   BAR-Honda 83

4   Williams-BMW 54

5   McLaren-Mercedes 37

6   Sauber-Petronas 19

7   Toyota 8

8   Jaguar-Cosworth 7

9   Jordan-Ford 5

10   Minardi-Cosworth 1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I didnt see the required banjo in that pic.

Hell I'm only 35 miles from Kenseths hometown and every other fruit has a 17 on their vehicle. Theres a S10 in town painted up like his car.

But unlike Matt, I actually turn right when I race.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Ivan "the ironman" Stewart, Go Toyota off-road racing!!!! They make left and right turns and go up and down hills!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The cars go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round...

Watching racing is boring. Hell, watching any sport unless it involves scantily clad women is boring.

Doing any sport, especially involving scantily clad women, is much more interesting. I still want to make right turns, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Any dickhead that drinks that freakin' PISS-WATER' Bud Light can shove his opinion of NASCAR (or anything else) up his pooper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is a very good reason to support your local Dirt Track. Most of the local Dirt Track racers do their own work and run a very low tech. car.  We've got a good Dirt Track here and I'm planning on attending a couple races to lend my support.  Like I've said before, I like ALL Motor Sports( I even like watching the bikes run), I guess because I've turned a wrench or two on my own car back in the day and did some stop light to stop light racing and enjoyed it.  I can empathise with racers, I've busted my nuckles a time or two working on a car, it's not as easy as some of ya'll think to race.   Some people get Racing and some don't. I don't get Football or Basketball and never will, to each his own. That doesn't mean that I have to run down the NFL or NBA just because I don't get it or don't like it. Like your moma should have told ya', "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  

Local short track racing is great, because it is about racing, not choreographed "drama" staged for the sake of ratings. I've changed motors, modified suspensions & had plenty of header burns in the old days, and when you won it was because you worked harder than the other guys, not because the rules were changed on a weekly basis to keep things "competitive"

btw, minor league baseball is also worth supporting, there they hustle, not like the overpaid primadonnas in the big leagues.

I've been to the Bristol wreckfest (yes it was fun, we parked a friends RV over at Farmer Bob's campground) - a good time, but more wreckin than racing. At least Bristol is unapologetic about it's product. Everyone goes to see 43 cars turned into junk. Sorta like everyone payin to see a school bus demo derby or figure 8 races.

Az for Toyota impacting Na$car, yall are on heroin. Ferrari could show up with their F1 engine & France & co. would dictate big spoilers to take away their advantage. There is NO reward for better engineering - that's what makes "new era" Na$car such a joke (and so shallow compared to the old days)

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#23]
"160,000 people. Name another sport that draws that many people, kind of hard isn't it"

As far as a spectator event yes, but as far as an atheltic sport, millions "actually participate" in other activites, such as running or weight lifting.
I dont see the interest in nascar myself, I'm certain being at a race would be fun for a 1 time thing, my dad and sister go to bristol, they tell me how loud it is and all, but if yall enjoy it more power to ya.
My preference is high school and college football, gonna be 100,000 at the vols games in a month, and other stadiums!
I prefer to run though myself. But again, if you enjoy nascar enjoy it good!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Phil_in_Seattle:

I guess thats what I get for quoting Darrel Waltrip huh. The fact he drives for them doesn't sway his opinion any either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Rob940: Say it with me Brother!!!

Cages??? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING CAGES!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#27]
NASCAR is fine to watch now & then while busy with something else.

They have priced themselves out of my ticket market, and their 'controversies' now seem pretty contrived.
Tony Stewart got me P.O.'d a couple of times, until I saw the similarity to WWF  -  designated bad boy is permitted to get away with all kinds of stuff while the ref (NASCAR) looks the other way and other players protest and one bunch of fans boos away.  Does he get a bonus for that?

But if dirt track, paved short track races, the drags just about any other race were broadcast, I'd switch to that.

The "yellow flag ending" business had me rolling my eyes, too.

Manufactured controversy - to keep fans attending or watching TV?   Surely the sponsors like that.

You call in to the Fox radio show and you're basically talking to the NASCAR PR department.

Not sure why they don't race in the rain like some other races do.  Is is that you can't make a tire for rain conditions in the type of race NASCAR runs, or are the fans unable to withstand rain?

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

F1 has 3.5/3.8 liter V10's revving out at 18.5k, they also hit the 210 mark on the straights at Indy!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

F1 has 3.5/3.8 liter V10's revving out at 18.5k, they also hit the 210 mark on the straights at Indy!

They are all 3.0L V10's. Ferrari have been hitting 19.5K RPM, but they've stopped development for this years car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are all 3.0L V10's. Ferrari have been hitting 19.5K RPM, but they've stopped development for this years car.

I heard they've got 2.4L V8's hitting 20K and they've got plans in the works to make an engine that'll hit 24K, now that's screamin' in anyone book.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#31]
engines that rev over 12K sound like those little no-see-um bugs that make a really high pitched whine as they fly into your ear... hate em.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
just wanted to lure all you rabid assed anti-NASCAR fucktards out of the woodwork so i could give you a big..............

www.aforkinthetoad.com/Texas/tex-fu2.jpg

enjoy, assholes

Yep, just another typical Nacar fan. You guys wonder why people laugh at you like they do. Your login name is so appropriate.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I am not going to bash someone for watch NASCAR, but it's just not for me. I love the technology that is in F1 and American LeMans, I like watching road courses better. That does not mean the NASCAR drivers are not good drivers I just don't like that style.

I think the guys that race WRC have the biggest set of balls as far as racing, with the guys that race the Isle of Man run a close second.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Hehe, but I used to road race cars in the late 80's also.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top