Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If the artic ice mass is increasing, why are mean high tides so  <well> high?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
See, global warming is confirmed because the ice is thicker.  And arfcom is still racist.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The science is settled, there is no debate!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the artic ice mass is increasing, why are mean high tides so  <well> high?
View Quote
Antartic, south pole. Ice is sitting on land.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Global climate warming I mean cooling I mean change I mean disruption.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hope we have another ice age....just to prove those fuckers wrong.
View Quote

umm...it wouldn't  

In fact this new ice is a DIRECT result of Obama's coal reduction policies!!

He has reversed the devastating course we were on... PRAISE OBAMA!!

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shhhh. Doesn't fit the agenda.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You should have read the article, including OP

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

The research challenges the conclusions of other studies, including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) 2013 report, which says that Antarctica is overall losing land ice.

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.

"We're essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica," said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

According to that article, it does.

They are saying that currently the growth exceeds the loss. However, the grown is reducing and the loss is increasing. So at current rates at some point the loss will exceed the growth.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The science is settled.  NPR told me so.  

OP must be a racist.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
But 90% of earth scientists agree...
I'm sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always wanted to know, was there an industrial age the last time Florida, Bangladesh, the Polynesian islands, and any other low lying coastal region was under water? if not, what caused the inundation of these regions...........too many buffalo farts, too many dinosaur farts, just what caused the flooding?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I get the whole air quality thing, stuff like smog etc

But the earths temp being controlled by man to a degree it actually matters is laughable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh no! The oceans will turn into ice and there will be no whales!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So what you're saying is green house gases are increasing ice growth and we need to ban oil to prevent another ice age?
View Quote
What they are saying is that whether we are going into an ice age or a warming age, they are going to need all your money so they can sit around and figure out ways of taking more of your money.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Check this gem out
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought 'the research is conclusive" or whatever it was they were saying a few months ago
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No green house gases are decreasing the growth of breast on women, which is causing men to be more violent which in turn started the Arab Spring which turned out to be a bust but used up 87% of the fuel that the Muslims had saved to rule the World with, thus causing the Southern Hemi to go into a hyper-active cooling cycle.  

Ed

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what you're saying is green house gases are increasing ice growth and we need to ban oil to prevent another ice age?
No green house gases are decreasing the growth of breast on women, which is causing men to be more violent which in turn started the Arab Spring which turned out to be a bust but used up 87% of the fuel that the Muslims had saved to rule the World with, thus causing the Southern Hemi to go into a hyper-active cooling cycle.  

Ed

Sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Landscheidt was right.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And although the extent of the Arctic is lower than the past 34 years, it isn't nearly as bad as some would make it out to be. Our current yearly extent cycle is within 2 standard deviations of said 30 year cycle.

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_stddev_timeseries.png
View Quote

Many do you use the word "bad" when describing natural variations in sea ice?

It is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#20]
THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Coal causes the ice to melt, which causes the oceans to cool.  That then causes more ice to form.  It's a vicious cycle.  You guys just don't understand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There goes NASAs funding down the drain.
View Quote

It's obviously a vast right wing conspiracy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Global warming is so dangerous , it's causing enough snow to replace the melting glaciers?

Holy shit, that's a lot of snow.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]
dang!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
the earths natural cycle.

what a concept
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top