Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Prices, ALL prices just went up xx%
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So was I a fool to take an 84 month loan at 0% interest when I bought my Ram?

I'd rather keep my money in the bank just in case I needed it.

Now back in 2014 we bought a Mustang and an Expedition in cash.

Traded the Expedition for the Ram. I did really well on the trade in and the purchase price since back in April of 2020 the dealership was a ghost town.

My point is it's not the length of the loan but the interest rate that should be looked at.
View Quote
Depends. Were there other incentives you passed up by taking the loan?

They're either super desperate to offer that or the price is higher than it could have been so they're still making it up with the sale and no interest.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
When I heard the price tag of the new grand wagoneer I said next thing they’ll do is up the loan times.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The Swiss have 100 year mortgages, so why not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wealthy people use other people's money to buy things
View Quote

So do poor people
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the local dealer has a 2020 F-250 Platinum on the lot, sales price is $78965, plus tax $7896 and title and license, $500

That's $87361 for 120 months at 9%

That's only $1107 a month better than financing for 36 months which is $2778....that's half price!!!

I mean let's think about this for a second....let's say you make $100,000 a year and every year you get a 5% raise.

That means the % of $$$ youspend on your car note goes down every year!!

year 1 it's 13.2% at year 10 it's only 8%...that's great stuff!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like the local dealer has a 2020 F-250 Platinum on the lot, sales price is $78965, plus tax $7896 and title and license, $500

That's only $1107 a month better than financing for 36 months which is $2778....that's half price!!!
View Quote

No 7.3, no care
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
No payments for 90 days

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Off to google for that one. Holy mother fucker

No doubt many here would be thrilled with their $100/house payment that they can pass along to their kids.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sa weet!

50+ yr mortgages probably coming too.
View Quote
60 year mortgages have been a thing for over 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
There used to be a classic car and exotic place around here that advertised 240 month loans
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also 125% value lol.
View Quote
That's normal or at least it was when I sold bikes and cars.

Need to have the wiggle room to cover negative trade equity , warranty/service plans , and dealer add on equipment
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sa weet!

50+ yr mortgages probably coming too.

aren't those 5/1 Arms though?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You will own nothing, and you will love it.
View Quote

Wow I never thought about it that way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They're either super desperate to offer that or the price is higher than it could have been so they're still making it up with the sale and no interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traded the Expedition for the Ram. I did really well on the trade in and the purchase price since back in April of 2020 the dealership was a ghost town.

My point is it's not the length of the loan but the interest rate that should be looked at.

You had it there. It was right when everything was shutting down for the Rice Rabies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’ll go half on the viper
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome, new work trucks will be $150,000.00 and required to have a dildo built into the seat to fuck you in the ass.

No need, the finance company will fuck you hard enough.

In other new, I should buy a Gen V Viper.

That's almost as tempting as 240 month financing!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome, new work trucks will be $150,000.00 and required to have a dildo built into the seat to fuck you in the ass.

No need, the finance company will fuck you hard enough.

In other new, I should buy a Gen V Viper.

We can do 120 months and go halfies....what's that like $250 a month each
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I mean let's think about this for a second....let's say you make $100,000 a year and every year you get a 5% raise.

View Quote

Do you sell cars?

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You had it there. It was right when everything was shutting down for the Rice Rabies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well good loan then
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you sell cars?

https://media.giphy.com/media/gk3R16JhLP8RUka2nD/giphy.gif

nope

But if the hours weren't pure shitastic I would have gone into F&I.

I have sort of a interesting skill set. lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Fucking Clown World.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No doubt many here would be thrilled with their $100/house payment that they can pass along to their kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a little digging for typical interest rates on these kinds of loans (a few sources say about 1% simple compounded) and a $180k home on traditional 100yr Swiss loan like that would have approx. $280 monthly payments.

You’d be dumb not to do it, at least here with US inflation and housing value appreciation rates.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did a little digging for typical interest rates on these kinds of loans (a few sources say about 1% simple compounded) and a $180k home on traditional 100yr Swiss loan like that would have approx. $280 monthly payments.

You'd be dumb not to do it, at least here with US inflation and housing value appreciation rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be dumb not to do it, at least here with US inflation and housing value appreciation rates.
Seriously 1%?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been in the finance and lease industry for 30 years where I have watched this trend closely.

A large issue is the cost of average vehicles has risen dramatically in relation to the average income (and payment tolerance) of a buyers.

Ideally banks and credit unions like to see 15% PTI (payment to gross income) ratio for buyers and depending on credit that can be somewhat flexible.

So lenders are task by manufacturers and the market develop risk models and guidelines to underwrite a loan/lease on much longer terms to allow higher amounts to hit the buyers and lenders payment tolerance.

Average buyers will still seek trade their cars out in a 28-39 month window. With a 10 year loan (especially rolling in sales tax and state registration) you will be massively upside down in that vehicle at trade. It’s a very bad idea to do it but many people will do 0 down, roll in first 90 days of payments and take a 120 months to hit a payment.

TLDR: Bad idea! Stop payment buying vehicles and fit your financing to your planned usage and time of retention.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well if you keep it 5-6 years you are fine especially with a 0%. That said, if you took a typical deal on a CCAP loan you didn’t get rebate cash so you certainly paid something to finance it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:08:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on if the availability of that kind of credit changed your buying behavior or not.  Nobody knows for sure but you.

If you would have bought the truck even if financing was unavailable (in theory) then there is no limit to how long you should finance something at 0% all other things equal.

If the 84 months made buying it possible in the first place, well then maybe it's not such a great thing after all.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, only because you bought a dodge.
View Quote

Maybe you can finance some ammo, 20'er
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
9% at 10yrs

View Quote

But you can drive your dream car right now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Shit if I could get a ten year loan with a zero interest rate I’d buy a new tundra. I still have my Tacoma I bought new in 12/2005.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
10 year auto loans?  Thats crazy
View Quote

It makes perfect sense - if you're wanting to make the perpetual subscription model of "buying" things expand into other areas of modern life.

Microsoft figured out that perpetual subscriptions provide a more consistent cash flow, and protect them against those malcontents who would deny them profit on the flimsy logic that what they already owned still worked perfectly well. They were not the first to figure this out, and they will not be the last.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well if you keep it 5-6 years you are fine especially with a 0%. That said, if you took a typical deal on a CCAP loan you didn’t get rebate cash so you certainly paid something to finance it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They bent over backwards to make the sale, I walked away twice and had several calls afterwards to make it happen. I almost felt bad for them.  It was right at the start of the shutdown for the Covid.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I've seen 120 and even 240 month financing on RVs... but of course those things cost a shit ton. I was looking at a few camper vans last year just for shits and giggles. The model I'd want goes for $100-150k.

Yeesh.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Depends on if the availability of that kind of credit changed your buying behavior or not.  Nobody knows for sure but you.

If you would have bought the truck even if financing was unavailable (in theory) then there is no limit to how long you should finance something at 0% all other things equal.

If the 84 months made buying it possible in the first place, well then maybe it's not such a great thing after all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call it the worlds most expensive oil filter. Friends came down to TN at the start of the Covid shutdowns to escape NY and he wanted to change his oil and filter. He only uses factory filters so a trip to buy a filter resulted in my buying the truck. It was an impulse buy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I paid $800 for a daily beater.  I should get 5 years out of it...

I can't imagine paying that monthly, for 10 years.  Holy shit.
View Quote

Bought my car used in 2004. Its been paid off for 13 years.

Just bought a used car for my wife and paid cash.

I'll never finance again.

It's like trying to tread water while holding a 45 lbs plate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the interest rate was low enough, I'd take 100 year mortgages and buy as many properties as I possibly could.

One thing the vast majority of people will never understand is that there are two polar opposite kinds of debt.  The kind that makes you rich, and the kind that makes you poor.

Real Estate can be a play on multiple things including income, appreciation, and a hedge against inflation.  Being able to take advantage of any or all of those things while locking in fixed low interest debt is what transforms it into "leverage".  Ask almost any one of our professional landlords on this forum (as in owns more than a couple properties) and most of them will tell you that debt is a critical part of their capital structure.  Most rental property deals look like shit on paper from an ROE perspective if there's not a decent amount of debt involved.  

It doesn't end at real estate either.  Same story if you are using it to buy any kind of equipment, intellectual property, or an ownership position in an ongoing concern.

The vast majority of rich people on this planet have gotten that way either directly or indirectly with other people's money usually in the form of debt or issuance of equity.  Name a person or a profession and I can probably draw the connection back to OPM.  The only ones who I can think of who wouldn't fit that mold are lottery winners.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

When we were young and stupid we did a 60 month loan.

120.....wow.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I call it the worlds most expensive oil filter. Friends came down to TN at the start of the Covid shutdowns to escape NY and he wanted to change his oil and filter. He only uses factory filters so a trip to buy a filter resulted in my buying the truck. It was an impulse buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  I've got a story in my family like that except it was over a flat tire.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Fuck that shit. When I got my car 2 years ago went with 36-months. Wanted to pay that bitch off fast as I can. Kinda hurt month-to-month, but not too bad and I'm only a year away from paying it off now.

Worth it!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Bought a 2015 Silverado  new in '15. Set up a 48 month plan. Paid it off in 32 months. Same with the wife's 2015 Rogue. We had hers paid off in 28 months.

A 10 year auto loan? Holy hell! What bonehead would agree to that?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It makes perfect sense - if you're wanting to make the perpetual subscription model of "buying" things expand into other areas of modern life.

Microsoft figured out that perpetual subscriptions provide a more consistent cash flow, and protect them against those malcontents who would deny them profit on the flimsy logic that what they already owned still worked perfectly well. They were not the first to figure this out, and they will not be the last.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 year auto loans?  Thats crazy

Adobe did this to me with Lightroom and photoshop. I wanted to buy a newer version but they switched to subscription only. I found and purchased a different editing software so now they get nothing from me anyways .
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet your story doesn't end with them living in your house for over 6 weeks though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've seen 120 and even 240 month financing on RVs... but of course those things cost a shit ton. I was looking at a few camper vans last year just for shits and giggles. The model I'd want goes for $100-150k.

Yeesh.
View Quote

The wife wanted to buy a smaller RV. I told her no freaking way. On the rare time we would want to go somewhere in one, we'll rent it for a few weeks.
Buy one of those land yachts? Nope, not going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#44]
At rates lower than inflation stretch that bitch out and minimum payment it is.

Doesn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Xiden should give every American a voucher for a free car tbh.
View Quote

Xiden will do that but it will only be valid on an all electric econobox that gets at least 250mpge but has seats for only 2 small humans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Now I  can gets me that Yugo!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#47]
and no payments for 90 days.

people be living in a dream world
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd bet your story doesn't end with them living in your house for over 6 weeks though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, nope.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Y’all laugh at us boomers but our shit is paid for even it it is not the coolest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol, nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, nope.

It was only two weeks to ...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top