User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm just here.   No reason.  Really.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you, some kind of anarchist? Obey the damn rules!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds very typical.  And don't look for it to get any better in the future.

I know a gal that was lacking a few dollars for her rent.   So instead of paying what she could ..........she took the rent money and spent it for new clothes.

GD

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
My GF has some issues with regards to managing her money. I told her after the first my own personal goals are to have a few bills paid off along with my CC so that I have money for the summer and that she should focus on that for herself. She then looked at me and said maybe I should just give you my check and have you give me an allowance.

Keep your money seperate and keep gently trying to show her the right direction.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, does your girlfriend live on her own and pay her own bills? Rent, utilities, groceries, etc...

Or does she live with her parents?

I've found that people that have never lived on their own and have never had to live under their own budget frequently fit the spending profile you describe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
This ain't 'Nam, we have rules here...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#7]
where the fuck are the pics?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OP, does your girlfriend live on her own and pay her own bills? Rent, utilities, groceries, etc...

Or does she live with her parents?

I've found that people that have never lived on their own and have never had to live under their own budget frequently fit the spending profile you describe.

She's completely independent. We live together; she pays the utilities, I pay the taxes, insurance, etc...

She came from Mexico to the US when she was 19 and flat out told me that she was just excited to be able to go to the store and buy whatever she wanted. It was never an option for her before when she lived in Mexico. So, she went wild.

She lived with her mother in Texas for years and then moved up here to be with me a few years ago. I made her rent a house down the street when she first moved up...I didn't just let her move in with me. She rented that house for about 8 months, paid her bills, went to work, etc...then I bought this house and we split the bills and moved in.

There hasn't really been any problems with money. She pays her stuff, I pay mine, but I've tried to help her get over her spending issues. She has been pretty good about it overall, but like I said, it seems like she "relapsed" with Christmas

Speed

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#9]
She has to send her parents money?

Ummm ya that's not going to work in the long term.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Priorities.

She just doesn't see the urgency of spending that kind of cash on tires when she feels her current ones work.  Guess now that she's driven in the snow she's realized she NEEDS new tires.  Women in general don't seem that concerned with vehicle maintainance as long as the car works.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
"Whats mine is mine and whats yours is ours."
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd tell ya, really, but then my pics wouldn't be loading either,
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds like she should never be upgraded to "wife" status IMO
Money problems are the #1 relationship killer.

I know.
We keep our money separate, and if we get married, it will stay that way.

Speed

Until you get divorced , then you will get half of her bills and she will get half of whatever you saved.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#14]
She can run outside for free.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've seen this with my wife's mom (my wife does not send money to family, thankfully).  We had a come-to-Jesus moment with the mom earlier this year after one of the cousins she was funding was again in drug rehab, and not in nursing school like she had been told.  We explained it's not that she doesn't love them, but they are abusing her generosity, and taking advantage of her (this has been a long multi-year trip to get her to understand this).  

She would regularly ship boxes of clothes, food, toys, etc over to her family, along with cutting checks that were supposed to be tuition, rent, etc to help them get through school. One kid did finish school, and has landed a good job and is working hard, the rest would just call to talk to her and ask for more money.  Hell, they would only friend my wife on Facebook to ask how the mom was and if she sent something recently.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

She doesn't have to send anyone money. Most of her family in Monterrey is actually pretty well off, but her father (who she lived with most of her life) and brother are working class.

She actually doesn't send them money often as she herself knows they'll just expect it, but I guess she wanted to do something nice for Christmas

Hell, a couple hundred bucks is like 2 weeks pay down there

Speed

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Get her The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. If she won't read it, get the audiobook version and play it whenever she is around. That might help her see things differently
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Average female.  They don't understand logic. Particularly when it comes to cars. Either tell her to buy the tires or buy them for her for a birthday present. You guys that try to reason with crazy are just asking for trouble. TELL her to do it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Whatever you do, don't let her money problems become your money problems. And DO NOT marry her or cosign on ANYTHING with her unless she fixes her behavior. SERIOUSLY.

I cosigned on an account with the SO because I loved him. Then when he lost his job and things got tight, it went to judgement and I got fucked on it, too. It was shit we didn't even need. It is FINALLY paid off after several years. I may be able to buy a car again someday.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Some women are good with money.  At least, that's what people tell me.  I've never met one, ever.

What I've experienced is women are going to spend a lot of money foolishly and they need to either make a lot of money or be married to a lot of money.  If either of those are true, they will seem like they are doing alright when in fact they're still spending money foolishly.  If neither of those are true, they will be chronically broke, terrible credit, maxed-out cards, maybe payday or title loans.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like when my wife nags me about what I "should do".  Us adults like to do what we want, not what someone else thinks we should.  A tactfully worded piece of advise or opinion is always appreciated, after that its called nagging and badgering.  Sometimes people learn best from their errors.  She may need to self educate.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't let her money problems become your money problems. And DO NOT marry her or cosign on ANYTHING with her unless she fixes her behavior. SERIOUSLY.

I cosigned on an account with the SO because I loved him. Then when he lost his job and things got tight, it went to judgement and I got fucked on it, too. It was shit we didn't even need. It is FINALLY paid off after several years. I may be able to buy a car again someday.

Out of curiosity, is this your current SO or an old SO?  I ask because I'm curious if this would cause enough stress to end a relationship.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmmmm, a thread about tires and titties.  

I approve.

Please post pics of both, preferably together.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Give her a book by Dave Ramsey called Financial Peace.

If you are ever going to get married (and have a thriving marriage), you have to be on the same page about money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Give her a book by Dave Ramsey called Financial Peace.

If you are ever going to get married (and have a thriving marriage), you have to be on the same page about money.

or Clark Howard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Last week she got a Christmas bonus check. I told her to go buy tires. She decided to send the money to her family in Mexico instead

Eject

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Last week she got a Christmas bonus check. I told her to go buy tires. She decided to send the money to her family in Mexico instead

Eject

this
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, is this your current SO or an old SO?  I ask because I'm curious if this would cause enough stress to end a relationship.

Same SO I've had for 6.5 years. It's been a bit of a bumpy ride, but there's been marked improvement of late.

It didn't cause ejection on my part. I grew up dirt poor. Lack of finances don't stress me out that much. Things that do stress me out are lack of sex or emotional neglect. Those are the things that would make me want to eject, more than anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have never yet been with a woman in the past 30 years that was good with money.  They were all broke and in a lot of debt.  I'm still looking for one that is actually good with money.

My wife can make a dollar scream. The woman will comparison shop, coupon, and haggle down almost any bill that shows up.  And really won't buy herself anything unless I insist on it.  I really lucked out this time.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just waiting to see if OP gets called out for being *not nice* for being concerned over such things.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just waiting to see if OP gets called out for being *not nice* for being concerned over such things.  

Yeah

He's not looking for her to pay his bills, just her own.

Crazy, right?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#34]
pics ain't loading cod

GR
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Dude. Sending alot of money to Mexico..... Eject

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#36]
There's a woman I work with who is absolutely stupid with money.  Retarded to the point where she picks and chooses what bills she will pay based on what she thinks she needs the next month; everything else gets turned off, deactivated, etc. because she didn't pay her bills.

What does she do with her money? Buys inexpensive clothes, but does so weekly.  Has to have new jewelry, purses, shoes, boots, etc.  Goes out to bars several times a week and burns up a minimum of $100-200 to drink and eat bar food.

Myself and another friend tried to build her a budget, for both money and diet; everything we said she needed to change to live within her means as well as lose weight, she resisted, ignored; and then she had the audacity to get pissed at us for trying to help.

I feel bad for the idiot motherfucker who marries her.

ETA: And I know guys like her as well, so I'm not trying to be sexist, she's simply the most recent example of why I won't help anyone any longer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My girlfriend ....

She decided to send the money to her family in Mexico instead

Not only do I see the problem, but I can tell you *exactly* how to fix it, too.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#38]
This guy didn't buy new tires when he needed them either.

I'm sure some tire shop has "6 months same as cash" or something and you say she pays her bills.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Sprinkle some Cheetos crumbs on your toes and post a picture.  There's your reason.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Once you get married and she lets herself go, that elliptical machine will be the best investment you can make.  

If my wife ever lets herself go, I will try to be subtle by having random exercise equipment just show up in the house.

Those things are fantastic for hanging your clothes to dry!  Buy 2!

If you really want an elliptical, there are loads of exercise machines in garage sales, VERY lightly used.

Get a gym membership for a month (not a year, or decade ) and see how much she really likes them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once you get married and she lets herself go, that elliptical machine will be the best investment you can make.  

If my wife ever lets herself go, I will try to be subtle by having random exercise equipment just show up in the house.

Those things are fantastic for hanging your clothes to dry!  Buy 2!

If you really want an elliptical, there are loads of exercise machines in garage sales, VERY lightly used.

Get a gym membership for a month (not a year, or decade ) and see how much she really likes them.

This.

My wife wanted an elliptical.  She found a used one online for $40.

She's never used it once.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Your GF has her priorities messed up and has an "instant gratification" problem.  I bought four new Michelin low profiles in October.  Nobody had to tell me it needed to be done.  My father is a mechanic and nothing fucks your life up like being without a ride (unless maybe it's not having a roof over your head).  

I've seen men with money spending and priority issues, so this isn't sex-linked.

People need to learn to prioritize and practice self-control.  I'm not sure if you can teach her this or not.  I have failed at trying to teach a few men these lessons.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Short-term thinker.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#46]
If she isn't buying PMAGs, nothing should come before buying good tires.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah

He's not looking for her to pay his bills, just her own.

Crazy, right?

That never once came up in the other thread.  At all.  The only time I EVER said anything about a *good provider* it was in relation to being better able to care for any children or the family unit as a whole.  The women I know, including myself, have all continued to work and if the woman stays home once kids are in the picture, it's a joint decision.  

I said several times that a man who is responsible with money is attractive to women and that men don't like it when women are irresponsible with money either.  

Anyway, a woman wouldn't want to get involved with a man who can't manage his money for much the same reasons that OP has issues here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sprinkle some Cheetos crumbs on your toes and post a picture.  There's your reason.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read / heard recently that some people are verifying the credit score of a potential SO before they proceed past a certain point.

Ive heard of people doing that as well- id say its even more important if you dont spend some time living with that person and watching them spend their money before you get married.
I never bothered with my (now) wife as it didnt take me long to see how frugal she was/is.

I had an ex that wanted to get back together a few years ago. Somehow we got off on how much CC debt she had allowed to build up; she wouldn't give me a number.
I NOPED right out of there!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What are you, some kind of anarchist? Obey the damn rules!

+1

Where are the pictures

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top